Official Cars Review Thread

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Official Cars Review Thread

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:56 pm

http://adisney.go.com/disneypictures/cars/main.html

360 views of the cast! WAHEY!

Uh, I'm a Pixar fan. These things get me excited!

EDIT - Fixed your link - TG
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:03 pm

Hey, it's all good in the hood. I think a lot of us can get behind Pixar right now.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tapehead on Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:12 pm

OH YEAH! it's been a long, long time since 'Nemo', and I'm ready for more from the best
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby cap on Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:31 pm

I guess I need to be aware of this. I got kids.......

Honestly their movies ain't that bad. They have gotten preety good at the multilevel humor.

Not as good as some of the old school Looney Tunes, but close enough to make these "kids movies" much easier to watch as an adult.

Ambition - The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly
cap
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:10 pm

Pixar? They spend years crafting their storylines and have people like Brad Bird, who I saw a couple of years back, who really care for the medium. THAT'S why they're at the top of their game. They're true artisans.

True, classics from the likes of Chuck Jones can't be beaten, but hell, they're shorts. Pixar does movies... their shorts are merely tech experiments with personality.

Their movies, to me at least, are the best you can get right now in terms of family entertainment and historically. ^_^
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:10 pm

CLICK HERE FOR THE AWESOME NEW CARS TRAILER!!!

I haven't been crazy about the previous trailers, but I'm really, really digging this one. The characters feel natural and right, and the story seems like a good nusring-the-hero-back-to-health-in-a-small-town line.

And, of course, the animation is just astounding. Those desert highway shots are great, and the dust and smoke kicked up by the cars is photo-real.

Cannot wait to see this now.
Last edited by MasterWhedon on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby jgraphix on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:15 pm

Yeah...looks awesome. Whenever I watch a Pixar movie, I feel like a kid again...
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:12 pm

I just watched The Incredibles again over the weekend and was reminded about how absolutely perfect that movie is. Pixar can do no wrong in my book.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Ribbons on Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:15 pm

Is there a non-WMP version of this somewhere?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:17 pm

The Moviefone one played in Quicktime for me.

EDIT: Click on "Watch it now" to choose your preferences.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby BuckyO'harre on Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:20 pm

Just curious.... has anyone besides me seen Susie the little blue coupe? A disney toon from 52 written by Bill Pete. CARS seems to be directly inspired by it. Although the cars with faces idea could come to anyone.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:21 pm

See, it's not doing that for me. I can just choose different speeds and resolutions for WMP for some reason.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:22 pm

Ribbons wrote:See, it's not doing that for me. I can just choose different speeds and resolutions for WMP for some reason.

I was fooling with it and it started doing WMP. I closed the window out, went back and it's playing in Quicktime now.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:54 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:Just curious.... has anyone besides me seen Susie the little blue coupe? A disney toon from 52 written by Bill Pete. CARS seems to be directly inspired by it. Although the cars with faces idea could come to anyone.

I think the direct look is inpsired by the likes of Tex Avery's One Cab's Family and Little Johnny Jet.

Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Evil Hobbit on Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:06 am

WHOA Awesome animation. And pretty exceptional to have trailer without a deep smoking voice over. Cant wait for this baby. 8)
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:10 pm

Okay, I finally managed to get the preview to play in Quicktime.

The landscapes are gorgeous. The preview was okay, looks like it might be good -- I mean I'm not generally a fan of Pixar's previews and I like pretty much all of their movies, so it's not something I'm particularly concerned about. We got a glimpse of the story, finally, as well as the characters, so that was nice.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:40 pm

main page has an exclusive look at The New Poster for Cars

not bad - we'll see... apparentely Quint has seen in and likes it - but is forbidden to write a review yet - but i always have faith in Pixar...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:33 pm

Quint takin' a page out of Moriarty's cockteasin' playbook, huh?

Not as bad as Herc "I have Spoilers but I won't tell you so :P", but still...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:33 pm

Wow TB complaints about the poster are mesmerizing.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed May 10, 2006 6:52 pm

THE SECOND FULL TRAILER IS NOW ONLINE!!

It's quite good, outlines the story even more straightforwardly than the last one. And it looks freakin' gorgeous. Can't wait.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Evil Hobbit on Thu May 11, 2006 4:13 am

HAHA, that last gag is hilarious! And the animation is sooooo stunning can't wait to see that waterfall and all the landscape shots on the big screen!
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu May 11, 2006 4:25 am

The animation looks great...but the story just seems lacking to me.

Maybe its because I am just not into cars at all. I know a lot of people are obsessed with them but not me.

I only owned one car and I sold it and now I ride my bike everywhere.

Hopefully I am wrong and the story engages me but nothing I have seen thus far has led me to believe that would be the case.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu May 11, 2006 5:03 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:am i alone in thinking this is a propaganda piece sponsored by big oil to grease the wheels for the inevitable gas price hike coming this summer?
why is the "organic fuel" Volkswagen nothing but a caricature of a stoner hippie, hmmm?

how do these cars fuel up? who pays...WHO?!?!?

buster?

theta?

yeah, I agree with Lecko, the story's got a been-done-ness to it, the Queens English is sure to suffer yet another blow from the cartoonish depiction of, wait, can you say cartoonish if you're describing a cartoon? good 'ol Larry the Cable guy's gonna get on my nerves faster than Jar Jar, I reckon. But crikey, I've driven on or around that part of 40/66 many times, and damn if it don't look just as purty as I remember it.

Ugh. Don't get me started on Larry the Cable Guy. Probably the most unfunny "comedian" on this planet. The idea of having to endure him for 90 minutes on screen is just cringe worthy.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu May 11, 2006 5:07 am

am i alone in thinking this is a propaganda piece sponsored by big oil to grease the wheels for the inevitable gas price hike coming this summer?
why is the "organic fuel" Volkswagen nothing but a caricature of a stoner hippie, hmmm?

how do these cars fuel up? who pays...WHO?!?!?

buster?

theta?

yeah, I agree with Lecko, the story's got a been-done-ness to it, the Queens English is sure to suffer yet another blow from the cartoonish depiction of, wait, can you say cartoonish if you're describing a cartoon? good 'ol Larry the Cable guy's gonna get on my nerves faster than Jar Jar, I reckon. But crikey, I've driven on or around that part of 40/66 many times, and damn if it don't look just as purty as I remember it.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed May 31, 2006 2:25 pm

Cars doesn't open until the 9th, but we're starting to get reviews coming in, thus far all very positive.

H@rry has one up HERE and Ebert & Roeper have their early audio review up HERE.

We've also got glowing reviews from Rolling Stone and TIME:

Peter Travers, Rolling Stone wrote:Nothing these days revs us up more than animation -- the only sure thing in the current box-office climate. And nobody does it better than Pixar. In January, Disney forked over a whopping $7.4 billion to buy the place from Apple head Steve Jobs. Smart move, given the global acclaim for The Incredibles, Finding Nemo and the two peerless Toy Story movies. That makes Pixar's Cars the movie most likely to wow audiences and critics this summer. Director-writer John Lasseter sets his story on fabled Route 66, which is where Lightning McQueen, a rookie-of-the-year race car voiced with cocky charm by Owen Wilson, finds himself on the way to California's Piston Cup Championship. Detoured in Radiator Springs after causing property damage as he sped through the sleepy town, Lightning, with his V8 engine and 750 horsepower capable of 200 mph, is sentenced to community service by Doc Hudson, a 1951 Hudson Hornet voiced in full gravel by the acting and racing legend Paul Newman. Doc, who is also the town judge, can still teach the lad a few tricks even with a straight-6 and a mere 175 horsepower. What Cars teaches is how to blend brash comedy with technical astonishments so that each enhances the other. I can't imagine who wouldn't want to test-drive this one. Like the promos say, "It's got that new-movie smell."

Richard Corliss, TIME wrote:John Lasseter grew up in Southern California, where driving is people's passion and second career, and a car their church and fortress. So if you ask Lasseter about car love, you get an impromptu prose poem. "Car love," he says, "is the sound of a throaty V-8 rumbling and revving, the acceleration throwing you back in the seat--especially when you get on a beautiful, winding road and the light's dappling through the trees. For me, it's a combination of enjoying the beauty of cars, classic or cool modern ones, and also the actual driving: getting out on the open road, whether it's a family road trip or driving by myself on a nice windy road and enjoying the ride."

Lasseter, 49, is also the Dale Earnhardt of computer animators, the first name in a mammothly successful form of popular art he pretty much created, beginning with his short Luxo Jr. in 1986. From the start, he's been the soul of Pixar Animation: he directed its first three hits (Toy Story, A Bug's Life and Toy Story 2) and executive-produced its next three (Monsters, Inc., Finding Nemo and The Incredibles). Early this year, when Disney bought Pixar--basically paying about $7 billion for Lasseter's brain--he became boss of the grand old animation studio as well as the most revered modern one. His job: get both groups to make great movies.

They couldn't have a model that's smarter, snazzier or more moving, kinetically and emotionally, than Lasseter's Cars, which opens June 9. "I love having inanimate objects come to life," he says, ever the boy who can't stop tinkering and dreaming. All the characters are cars, but they're engagingly human. The lands they inhabit are richly detailed (thanks to years of research by Lasseter, co-director Joe Ranft and their team) and worlds apart: the NASCAR circuit, where autos and egos collide at 180 m.p.h., and a 1950s-ish town, keeping a sense of community far from the superhighway rat race.

Owen Wilson voices Lightning McQueen (as in speed and Steve), the hottest rookie on the circuit, and doesn't he know it! He's got drive, heaven knows, but no perspective. Who needs friends, or a pit crew? He's a one-man show! Ka-chow! Lightning's main rivals in the movie's opening race are "the King" (racing legend Richard Petty), who's going for one last win before he retires, and a dirty-driving mug named Chick (Michael Keaton), who's so rotten that one of his sponsor decals reads htB, for Hostile Takeover Bank.

An unexpected detour lands Lightning in Radiator Springs, a southwestern hamlet off Route 66 that lost its bustle and prosperity when the Interstate went up ages ago. The town's pulse--does it even have one?--doesn't suit Lightning, who's itching to get to L.A. for the biggest race of his young career. But he's stuck in nowheresville, obliged to repave a road he had torn up on his way through.

Up to now, Cars has been motoring at a Mach pace, as gags and characters flash by. Once in Radiator Springs, the film moseys to the tempo of a town time forgot. Even the songs slow down (yes, this is also a musical), from John Mayer's vigorous take on Route 66 to James Taylor warbling Randy Newman's gorgeously plaintive Our Town.

Not that Cars ever idles, for the townsfolk constitute a sweet if improbable rainbow coalition of vintage vehicles. They support the trio that will retool Lightning's egotism into community spirit: gruff Doc Hudson; lovely, sensible Sally; and--the movie's breakout car-actor--an endearingly yokelish tow truck named Mater.

It's Mater who teaches Lightning the truth of any Lasseter film: friendship is family. "To Lightning," he says, "Mater represents pure friendship. Like a dog: 'I'll be by your side forever.'" (Mater was the inspiration of Ranft, whose story-tweaking genius infused every Pixar movie. Tragically, he died last August, when the car he was in missed a turn on that beautiful winding road, California's Pacific Coast Highway.)

Lasseter is an old hand at humanizing machines. Cars does it in large part with the detailing of "facial" features. Most car 'toons anthropomorphize their characters by having the headlights serve as the eyes. Lasseter, following a charming Disney short, the 1952 Susie, the Little Blue Coupe, made the windshield the eyes. Cars also has fun turning hood ornaments into mustaches, grilles into mouths. More important, it evokes shifts of mood by the subtle shift of body weight, the low growl of an engine.

All this speaks to the unmatchable narrative and graphic ingenuity Pixar brings to its projects. "In computer animation," says Lasseter, "every detail has to be thought out, designed, modeled, shaded, placed and lit. The more you add, the more computer memory you need. We brought computer memories to their knees with this one."

A brief stay in Radiator Springs brings Lightning to his senses: to the recognition that the old have tricks to teach the young, that winning means more than coming in first and that speed can't top taking your time to savor the scenery--that, as Lasseter says, "the journey in life is the reward."

As the new hydra-head of animation, Lasseter may have an uphill journey: not just keeping Pixar on track (Brad Bird's Ratatouille, about a gourmet rodent in Paris, is next, probably followed by Toy Story 3), but also in steering the Mousemobile back to speed. In 1994, when The Lion King capped a series of animation hits, Disney's bright future seemed as sure a bet as Pixar's does now. Then Toy Story came out, and computer animation took over. Before buying Pixar, a desperate Disney had scuttled its traditional animation unit. Lasseter may restore that. "Of all studios that should be doing 2-D animation, it should be Disney," he says. "We haven't said anything publicly, but I can guarantee you that we're thinking about it. Because I believe in it."

Reconciling Pixar's postmodern culture with the Disney tradition seems tough. But if high-tech Lightning McQueen could find his destiny in retro Radiator Springs, why can't Lasseter find a way to turn yesterday into tomorrow at Disney? He's surely shown opposites can attract in his wonderful new film. Existing both in turbo-charged today and the gentler '50s, straddling the realms of Pixar styling and old Disney heart, this new-model Cars is an instant classic.

Looks like they've done it again. Can't wait.

EARLY REVIEWERS, PLEASE REMEMBER SPOILER WARNINGS!!
Last edited by MasterWhedon on Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby buster00 on Wed May 31, 2006 3:19 pm

Goddammit, there had better be fart jokes in this picture.

I'd better be seeing that Larry The Cable Guy truck rip a big, loud, wet one...accompanied by a cloud of black exhaust coming out of his tailpipe.

I speak for The People of America when I DEMAND a slew of quality fart jokes in my CGI childrens' movies. The People of America deserve NO LESS.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:15 am

I have zero interest in this movie. I've seen the trailers. I even saw a couple of the live action cars at Disney. I'm not a racing fan and nothing I've seen thus far seems appealing. If Pixar's name wasn't attached, would people still be looking forward to this?
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:27 am

Probably not. But Pixar's name is synonymous with excellently crafted movies and this is John Lasseter we're talking about. They never, ever drop the ball and they never, ever rely on anything other than incredibly well developed characters and storytelling. This is what makes their films anticipated. They spend yeeeearss perfecting their films in the story process in the old Disney style - something that's pretty rare these days... which is probably what makes them so damn good. Not only that they have the finest talent for digital animation in the world.

@buster00 - I recently helped add a few fart jokes to my current series. Rest assured I'm doing my bit!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:31 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:@buster00 - I recently helped add a few fart jokes to my current series. Rest assured I'm doing my bit!

You sir, are a true hero.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:48 am

buster00 wrote:Goddammit, there had better be fart jokes in this picture.

I'd better be seeing that Larry The Cable Guy truck rip a big, loud, wet one...accompanied by a cloud of black exhaust coming out of his tailpipe.

I speak for The People of America when I DEMAND a slew of quality fart jokes in my CGI childrens' movies. The People of America deserve NO LESS.

I just saw a new commercial on TV and I can tell you, you will NOT be disappointed
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby MiltonWaddams on Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:11 am

If Pixar killed someone, I wouldn't turn them in. I think Finding Nemo is essentially flawless as far as kids movies are concerned. I work with kindergarteners, Fridays are movie days, and when given the choice to vote, it's always for Nemo. Always.

But.

I am in no way excited about this next movie. You didn't have to be a fish expert to enjoy Nemo, because fish/turtles/sharks can have personality/be cute, every kid could relate to Toy Story, Monsters Inc was just fucking adorable and probably their most imaginative to date. I don't even need to explain why the Incredibles worked so well. Bugs Life was hard to relate to and will always be considered their worst (which is still head and shoulders above other movies) yet. I know the Pixar crew are basically black belts at this shit now, but Cars? Who gives a shit about cars?

The question isn't whether I'll enjoy the movie or not, it's whether I'll enjoy it as much as other Pixar movies..

And Larry the Cable Guy? Please tell me he gets a easily repeatable nonsensical catchphrase.

p.s. doc hollywood.
Urer yvrf Z.J.
Xvyyrq ol ungr naq vafvqr wbxrf.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:15 am

MiltonWaddams wrote:If Pixar killed someone, I wouldn't turn them in. I think Finding Nemo is essentially flawless as far as kids movies are concerned. I work with kindergarteners, Fridays are movie days, and when given the choice to vote, it's always for Nemo. Always.

But.

I am in no way excited about this next movie. You didn't have to be a fish expert to enjoy Nemo, because fish/turtles/sharks can have personality/be cute, every kid could relate to Toy Story, Monsters Inc was just fucking adorable and probably their most imaginative to date. I don't even need to explain why the Incredibles worked so well. Bugs Life was hard to relate to and will always be considered their worst (which is still head and shoulders above other movies) yet. I know the Pixar crew are basically black belts at this shit now, but Cars? Who gives a shit about cars?

The question isn't whether I'll enjoy the movie or not, it's whether I'll enjoy it as much as other Pixar movies..

And Larry the Cable Guy? Please tell me he gets a easily repeatable nonsensical catchphrase.

p.s. doc hollywood.

You forgot to mention The Incredibles which was...wait for it...INCREDIBLE.

Regardless, I am not excited for this movie. The animation looks pretty, but the characters and story just aren't doing it for me.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:20 am

I get the feeling Lasseter may have said "Cars? Who gives a shit about cars!" and set off to prove it could be done. Remember this has probably been in production for YEARS too.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:25 pm

Massawyrm's got his review up HERE. Looking good!
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:57 pm

Variety no likey the Cars!!

Brian Lowry, Daily Variety wrote:With "Cars," Pixar's enviable streak of creative triumphs comes to a skidding stop. Despite representing another impressive technical achievement, it's the least visually interesting of the computer-animation boutique's movies, and -- in an ironic twist for a story about auto racing -- drifts slowly through its semi-arid midsection. Periodic bursts of cleverness brighten the festivities, but they're too few and far between, and the trademark humor that appeals to adults and kids often misfires. Pic should still possess plenty of G-rated horsepower commercially, but falls short of being the coming-out party Disney doubtless hoped for to showcase its Pixar acquisition.

John Lasseter, Pixar's leading creative force, is a self-proclaimed car enthusiast, and this marks his first directing effort since 1999's "Toy Story 2" -- preceded by "A Bug's Life" and the original Buzz-Woody team-up. (Joe Ranft, his co-director, died last year after completing work on the film.)

Yet passion for the project notwithstanding, Lasseter discovers there are only so many car puns he and five other credited writers can exhaust. And while adults might chuckle over pop-culture references to, say, funny-car "Jay Limo," both they and many kids will grow antsy after an introductory racing sequence.

That race introduces Lightning McQueen (Owen Wilson), a brash racecar with a lone-wolf attitude. Lightning eschews hiring a crew chief, and his competition against the surly Chick Hicks (Michael Keaton) and veteran legend the King (racer Richard Petty) sets up a showdown in California a week hence. As a sign of his go-it-alone mentality, Lightning balks at trying to drum up enough friends to fill the 20 tickets allotted him.

Heading cross-country, Lightning inadvertently winds up marooned in the moribund Route 66 town of Radiator Springs, where his daredevil antics run afoul of the local judge, Doc Hudson (Paul Newman). As punishment, Lightning is forced to repave the town's decrepit road -- a task he pursues with reluctance, given his goal of reaching California to win the Piston Cup.

Bypassed by Interstate 40, Radiator Springs features the usual assortment of colorful characters, in an all-car cast that includes an attractive Porsche, Sally (Bonnie Hunt); the slightly addled tow truck Mater (Larry the Cable Guy); and a half-baked van that runs on "organic fuels," appropriately voiced by George Carlin. The question is how long it will take for Lightning to revive the town, while simultaneously learning the meaning of friendship.

Alas, "too long" is the answer, and barring the boisterous antics of blue-collar comic Larry, there's not much to make the time speed by. Granted, there are amusing sight gags involving the local bugs (in keeping with the automotive theme, Volkswagens with wings) and "tractor tipping," but like Lightning himself, the action simply keeps running out of gas.

Even Randy Newman's score isn't particularly distinguished, or too frequently gets drowned out by the sound of roaring tires. Nor will the racing sequences galvanize those who aren't NASCAR fans, despite an astounding display of computer-generated wizardry and detail -- from the car-filled stadiums down to the little grooves on the track.

Still, nothing here approaches the undersea wonder of "Finding Nemo," the childlike inspiration behind "Monsters Inc." or the excitement and sly wit of "The Incredibles" -- a high standard, admittedly, but the expectation bar against which all Pixar ventures inevitably will be judged.

Where "Cars" works best, frankly, might be in oiling the synergistic wheels of the Disney-Pixar marriage -- offering the enticing prospect of theme park tie-ins, battery-powered toys and other assorted merchandising.

Ultimately, however, those benefits are only maximized if the movie delivers, and while the inventive closing-credit animation should send patrons out smiling, that breezy detour arrives at the end of a dusty, near-two-hour ride.

Pixar's run of hits has been nothing short of amazing, rivaling Disney's early animated classics. Yet after assembling its version of the magnificent six, the company has settled for at best a so-so seventh.

But the Hollywood Reporter sure did!!

Michael Rechtshaffen, Hollywood Reporter wrote:It might not be way up there in "The Incredibles"/"Finding Nemo"/"Toy Story" stratosphere, but the charming "Cars" is nevertheless a thoroughly pleasant way to mark Pixar Animation Studios' 20th anniversary.

While the other guys are still hawking talking animals, the folks at Pixar continue to up the anthropomorphic ante with terrific characters and crowd-pleasing storytelling that are as much a part of the company's much-deserved success as all that state-of-the-art technology.

Although the latest model -- concerning a hotshot hot rod who takes an unanticipated detour from life in the fast lane -- takes a little while to achieve traction, it ultimately hits all the key emotional and comedic checkpoints.

Given a fan base that spans virtually all demographics, "Cars" will handily take first place in its opening weekend and is destined to emerge as one of the season's biggest performers.

After spending the past seven years in an executive producer capacity, John Lasseter logs his first directing credit since 1999's "Toy Story 2" with this soulful road picture about a cocky rookie race car (voiced by Owen Wilson) who is en route to the Piston Cup Championship in California when an unfortunate chain of events lands him smack dab in the sleepy Route 66 town of Radiator Springs.

To make matters worse, Lightning McQueen has quickly succeeded in raising the ire of the local judge, Doc Hudson (Paul Newman), who won't allow him to leave until he makes amends for tearing up the town's main street.

But before the repairs are done, he finds himself drawn to Radiator Springs' once-thriving past and its colorful denizens, particularly the knowing Sally Carrera (Bonnie Hunt), a sporty 2002 Porsche and former Los Angeles lawyer who drove off one day in search of a more meaningful life; and the sweet-natured Mater (Larry the Cable Guy), a good ol' boy, bucktoothed tow truck.

By the time McQueen gets back on track, he finds his priorities have been seriously realigned.

Maybe it has something to do with that sleepy rural vibe, or a running time that creeps up on the two-hour mark, but whatever the reason, the picture's pacing hits some potholes during its extended sojourn in Radiator Springs.

For those accustomed to smoother Pixar rides, the shifts in rhythm might be a tad too noticeable, but Lasseter, who also penned the script along with Dan Fogelman, the late Joe Ranft, Kiel Murray & Phil Lorin and Jorgen Klubien, still manages to cross the finish line in style.

You can't miss with that dream team of a voice cast, which, in addition to Wilson, Newman, Hunt and an irresistible turn by comedian Larry the Cable Guy that turns scene stealing into grand theft, includes George Carlin as Fillmore, a hippie dippy VW bus, Tony Shalhoub as Luigi, an emotional '59 Fiat and Michael Keaton as Chick Hicks, McQueen's ruthless competitor.

Then there's the eye-popping technology which once again outdoes itself, breaking fresh ground with extensive ray tracing that provides photo-realistic reflections in all that polished metal and chrome, not to mention those striking, dusty Route 66 vistas.

Those who stay until the end of the credits will be rewarded with a hilarious tribute to Pixar lucky charm John Ratzenberger (who marks his seventh collaboration here as a not-so-trusty transport truck) as well as a touching one to Pixar animator Ranft, who passed away in August.

Settling the score, meanwhile, is Randy Newman, whose fourth Pixar collaboration ambles along agreeably, accompanied by drivin' tunes performed by Rascal Flatts, Sheryl Crow and Brad Paisley that are perfect for coasting along those alternate routes.

83% at RottenTomatoes.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby MisterCynic on Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:52 am

its a worthy addition to the pixar lineup. its not the worst, but not their best.

the animation is practically flawless, the voiceover work is very good, the messages are well woven into the story itself, the characters are compelling... its not one of their best... well, this is the easiest way i know how to put this...

in all pixar movies, actually in all kids movies and in a sense movies in general, there is a device used very often, its sort of the easiest way (and sometimes laziest way) to cue the audience into the resolution or a character's arc... or sometimes its just a continuation of a theme from earlier in the script. it could be a whole message, or just a line thats repeated. sometimes they are done with subtlety and they avoid being cheesy (although they really shouldnt be able to), and sometimes they fall flat and just scream cheese. its like the writer just said 'oh well, i cant get around them saying this line, ill just shove it in there and get passed it.

well in finding nemo, toy story 1 and 2, the incredibles... those lines and executed almost perfectly and completely work. in cars, it feels like the lazy version in terms of execution. when dory was telling the fishes to 'just keep swimming' at the end, i totally bought it and didnt roll my eyes. in cars, i couldnt help but roll my eyes during the similar moment.

thats the only way to describe what i didnt like about the movie, sorry if that confuses people. its a really good movie despite a few of those types of qualms though. and the short attatched is fantastic.
MisterCynic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby buster00 on Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:40 am

Fart Jokes and Randy Newman.

Pretty much all of Pixar's output...

No, scratch that...

Pretty much all of LIFE can be summed up by Fart Jokes and Randy Newman.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:48 am

I'm with you on the fart jokes, but Randy Newman?

you know he hates short people!
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:46 pm

A- from Entertainment Weekly!!

Lisa Schwarzbaum, Entertainment Weekly wrote:Having fallen in love with a bunch of computer-animated, anthropomorphized vehicles who express emotion with eyes made from windshields and smiles from metallic front grills, I do believe the exemplary Pixar team who made the beguiling comedy adventure Cars could draw a mote of dust and a pair of socks and turn them into characters worth caring about. I also bet that any story the Pixarites came up with about dust and socks (with John Ratzenberger lending his voice to the supporting role of the shoelace) is bound to be more rewarding than 90 percent of anything coming out of Hollywood Blockbusterville this summer. As it is, this witty charmer of an automotive adventure — part catnip for NASCAR enthusiasts, part nostalgia trip for fanciers of Route 66 and Paul Newman — features a 1951 Hudson Hornet, a rusty tow truck, a hippy-dippy 1960 VW bus, and a herd of tractors prone to tipping over and farting exhaust fumes of fright. And I'd rather spend time with them than with all the code-cracking sleuths The Da Vinci Code has to offer.

For the millions who love Richard Petty, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Mario Andretti, and Michael Schumacher, so much the better: Playing animated four-wheel versions of themselves (on the assumption that a man is what he drives), the voices of the real track stars blend easily with those of more recognizable thespians in the instructive story of hotshot race-car rookie Lightning McQueen. Just a curlicue of vocal cockiness courtesy of Owen Wilson is enough to convey the crucial fact that McQueen — a my-way-or-the-highway type who claims not to need no help from no one — is, in fact, precisely the kind who needs to learn how to slow down and smell the off-ramps. The picture opens with a race (featuring cars, don't forget, with big expressive eyeballs) as rigorously accurate for aficionados as it is fun for novices. And the unbeatable Pixar skill at rendering texture, perspective, background, movement, and detail is so casual in its dazzle that it's tempting to take the up-close view, vertiginous feel, and aerodynamic accuracy of racetrack curves rounded at lightning speed for granted.

Anyhow, a three-way finish for McQueen, the reigning race champ Strip ''The King'' Weathers (that's Petty), and showboating corner cutter Chick Hicks (Michael Keaton) forces an elimination race for the Piston Cup in L.A. And as he heads out to compete (hauled by Mack, a 1985 Super-Liner voiced by behind-the-mike mainstay John Ratzenberger), an accidental detour strands McQueen off the interstate in Radiator Springs.

That's where Cars switches from knowing, needling observer of NASCAR culture (and its attendant endorsement perks) and becomes avuncular promoter of small-town life as seen in loving photo books about Route 66 ghost towns. Stalled in a poky burg all but out of business since the interstate siphoned tourist traffic away, an impatient McQueen stays only under duress, educated by townsfolk including local judge Doc Hudson (Newman, himself a car racer, in the role of a 1951 jalopy that fits the 81-year-old actor like a trophy), the loyal and hee-hawing tow truck Mater (Larry the Cable Guy), and the onetime fast-lane Porsche 911, Sally Carrera (Bonnie Hunt, another favorite Pixar vocalizer).

The lesson McQueen learns — that loyalty, community, and an appreciation of life's detours matter as much as or more than individual advancement — isn't anything we haven't been fed a hundred times, most recently explained by an animated raccoon and his foraging buddies in Over the Hedge, and learned by Michael J. Fox 15 years ago in Doc Hollywood. But as the movie slows down to take in the scenery in and around imaginary, iconic Radiator Springs — a dusty Shangri-la out of Happy Days, a paean to tail fins and sunsets and mesas and neon, embroidered with some of Randy Newman's prettiest songwriting about little pleasures — Cars opens, gently and delicately, into something even more shimmering and soulful than the computerized glint of sunlight on car metal. Reigning Pixar director John Lasseter grew up amid California car culture, the son of a Chevy parts-department manager, and — with co-director Joe Ranft (who died, tragically, in a car accident before the picture was completed) and the Pixar team — has created a work of American art as classic as it is modern. Note to tourists: Leave before the very end of the credits and you'll miss some of the best and funniest roadside sights.

A-
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Shane on Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:56 pm

Am I the only zoner that can't sit through a pixar movie?
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:57 pm

Shane wrote:Am I the only zoner that can't sit through a pixar movie?

:shock:

WHAT-WHAT-WHAT?!
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Shane on Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:00 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:

WHAT-WHAT-WHAT?!

I liked Incredibles, but the rest .....

oh my they are a drag, I'll have to see cars my kids will want it but I dread it.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:02 pm

Shane wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:

WHAT-WHAT-WHAT?!

oh my they are a drag, I'll have to see cars my kids will want it but I dread it.

I... just... don't... know... where... to... begin...

To each his own, I guess, but I have been consistently knocked out of the park by everything they've done.

The Incredibles is an absolutely perfect film in my book, one of the best I've ever seen.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Shane on Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:05 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
Shane wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:

WHAT-WHAT-WHAT?!

I... just... don't... know... where... to... begin...

To each his own, I guess, but I have been consistently knocked out of the park by everything they've done.

The Incredibles is an absolutely perfect film in my book, one of the best I've ever seen.

I liked Incredibles, but It was far from perfect in my opinion.

I loathed little nemo, and Robots was dull, and Buzz light year was forgetable.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:08 pm

Shane wrote:...and Robots was dull...

BLASPHEMY!!

Well, it's all blasphemy, but I just mean that's not Pixar. It was Blue Sky and Fox, the folks behind Ice Age.

* shudders *

EDIT: Was it not Blue Sky? I'm IMDBing, but I can't see for sure. I thought it was something like that.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Shane on Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:09 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
Shane wrote:...and Robots was dull...

BLASPHEMY!!

Well, it's all blasphemy, but I just mean that's not Pixar. It was Blue Sky and Fox, the folks behind Ice Age.

* shudders *

I think the whole genere just looses me.

I couldn't stand Ice age.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Flumm on Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:14 pm

:o

@Shane: >nervous laugh< Uh, you don't know what you're saying, you're just halcuinating... or dehydrated... or Toy Story sex stories have gotten you all flustered or something!

@Whedon: >nervous laugh< Uh, he doesn't know what he's saying, he's just halcuinating... or dehydrated... or Toy Story sex stories have gotten him all flustered or something!

Oh who am I kidding, I can feel it brewing in the air like an electrical storm, somebody needs to get their zzazckt on.

*takes cover*
Last edited by Flumm on Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:15 pm

Aardman owns Pixar!
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:16 pm

Shane wrote:Aardman owns Pixar!

Oh no you did NOT.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Shane on Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:17 pm