Official Cars Review Thread

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Re: Official Cars 2 Review Thread

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:22 pm

From /film:
Early Buzz: Pixar’s Cars 2
Peter Sciretta wrote:Last year we heard mumblings that Cars 2 was having massive story problems. John Lasseter, director of Toy Story 1 & 2, A Bug’s Life, Cars, and now the chief creative officer at Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios, had been brought back to Pixar to help fix the issues. The film’s release date had been pushed back a couple times and Disney has since confirmed that Lasseter will be the credited co-director of Cars 2. But don’t let that information scare you. Any employee of Pixar will be the first to tell you that every movie they’ve made has been a disaster at one point, that the key to their success is reworking and reworking a project until it becomes something great. In fact, this is what happened with Ratatouille and Toy Story 2, both of which are incredible films.

But now someone claims to have screened an early cut of the film, and has posted a review online. What did they think? Find out after the jump.

I must first give you a disclaimer: the film is obviously not finished, and in computer animation, that can mean a lot. The audience was told that the movie was “steeped in post-production” with “about 70% of the movie was incomplete.” This means that while there were a few completely animated scenes, “the majority of the animation consisted of animated storyboards, flat animation and completed scenes with incomplete dialogue.” Pixar has seven months before the movie will hit theaters, and while that is a considerable amount of time, it doesn’t allow for major revisions in a computer animated film (in WALL-E they rushed to almost completely reanimate the entire sequence in the trash compactor, and made a few other tweeks). But you can usually get a good sense of where the story is and isn’t working.

Here are some excerpts from the review on CC2K:
“The movie is about on par with the original 2006 film Cars, which I must admit is probably my least favorite PIXAR film, but loses itself by shying away from the small-town nostalgia that made the original great.”

“As much as I wanted to like the movie though I found myself tuning out quite a bit. The problem is our star. If you don’t enjoy Larry the Cable Guy or you didn’t like Mater in the original Cars you’ll be bored every time he’s on screen, which is the whole movie!

From Pixar Planet Friday, February 12, 10:
Is "Newt" Dead? Cars 2 Having Production Problems?
In related news, Michael writes on Progress City, USA,

"In stranger news, I’ve had two sources independently hint to me that Cars 2 is actually having production problems, and I’ve seen that rumor posted anonymously today on the Animation Guild’s blog. Whispering campaign or fact, I don’t know, but it’s something to keep an eye out for."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Official Cars Thread

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:52 pm

Disney: 'Cars' Has Crossed $8 Billion in Global Retail Sales
Georg Szalai wrote:

NEW YORK -- Merchandise tied to the Cars franchise has generated global retail sales of more than $8 billion, Walt Disney said Monday.

That makes it one of the company's top franchises at what are now $2 billion in global retail sales annually.

Disney detailed the merchandise strength of Disney/Pixar hit Cars, which has grown its retail business since its launch in 2006, here on Monday as the entertainment giant unveiled what it expects to be its largest licensed film merchandise program ever for Cars 2.

In an event tied to Toy Fair, which opened here this weekend, Disney brought Cars 2 voice actors Michael Caine and Emily Mortimer to the stage to help unveil a line of more than 300 toys for the June 24 release.

Over 200 million die-cast cars tied to the franchise have sold to-date, the company said.

"I'm so excited about this movie," Pixar/Disney creative guru and Cars 2 director John Lasseter said in a video message. He said he couldn't be at Toy Fair, because "I got to finish the movie."

Discussing the inspiration for Cars 2, Lasseter said it came when he traveled on the original Cars promotion tour around the world. "I found myself looking out at these amazing cities and imagining 'What would Mater do?," he said.

Cain and Mortimer, who voice British agent Finn McMissile and his spy-in-training Holley Shiftwell, were presented with custom-built toys celebrating their characters.

Mortimer quipped that she has enjoyed the process behind the movie so much that her husband thinks she has a crush on Lasseter -- "and I think he might be right," she added to laughs. After every voice recording, "I just can't shut up about the whole world of Pixar and how the whole world should be run by Pixar," she said to more laughs. "I have completely converted to the ethos of Pixar."

She then expanded on her expression of love for Pixar on Valentine's Day. "If only everybody made movies the way they do," Mortimer said. "They are just total perfectionists. They love what they do. It's completely collaborative in the best way. And the process is just very organic and makes complete sense. You can build a performance together over time in a way that [makes you think] if only that was possible in real movies, because I think they would be much better. I think Pixar movies are some of the best movies around, and when you do one, you get to realize why."

Caine said he was excited to do something different in the form of animated fare and said he is happy that his grand children will be able to enjoy the film with his voice. "I would have played it just for the name" of his character, he said, earning laughs from the audience.

He also quipped about being impressed when visiting a Pixar/Disney animation studio and watching computer experts slowly animating a scene that after a week of work would lead to his character finally saying "hello."

Lasseter said Caine's Finn McMissile was part of a drive-in movie theater scene that didn't make it into the original Cars.

The ever-growing Cars 2 merchandise business is unusual for the consumer products business, which tends to spike briefly with new releases.

"We think we have the potential to make it even bigger," said Chris Heatherley, vp of toys for Disney Consumer Products. "We have a lot of headroom with the international and the spy component of the new movie and all the new product and technology, which takes it to the next level."

European audiences expressed a desire for Formula 1 cars after the first film, and the addition of Italian race car Francesco Bernoulli, voiced by John Turturro, in the sequel helps address that appetite, he added.

The Cars 2 toy program plays off the sequel's World Grand Prix race and espionage themes with product from Mattel, Lego and others. They include Lightning McQueen Alive, which uses touch sensors and micro technology to make the small car come alive with movements and speech, a Finn McMissile radio control vehicle, cars that can drive up cars and a Cars 2 edition of Hasbro classic Monopoly.

"Cars 2 not only has great racing, but it also has a spy twist that is pure toy bliss," said Vince Klaseus, senior vp of global toys at Disney Consumer Products.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Official PLANES Thread

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:40 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Official CARS 2 Review Thread

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:17 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:18 am

From THR:
REVIEW: Pixar Rolls Out an Improved Model with 'Cars 2'
Cooler cars and more action follow Lightning and Mater as they mix it up with spies and Formula 1 racers in yet another Pixar winner, writes Todd McCarthy.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:18 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Official Cars Review Thread

Postby judderman on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:27 am

It's official. Pixar have finally made a bad movie

It had to happen sooner or later, but I didn't expect their first stumble to be a full-on, unrehearsed pratfall.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:32 pm

VULTURE Movie Review:
With Cars 2, Pixar Finally Whiffs
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:18 pm

Cars is my next-to-least liked Pixar film (Finding Nemo takes that spot. Yeah, I'm an asshole for hating Finding Nemo.... blah blah blah). But after seeing the basic plot details when they first leaked out, it wouldn't have taken a psychic to predict it wouldn't be a great film.
It's like having a sequel to The Incredibles being about the family opening an organic grocery store and the tomfoolery that follows.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:47 am

I never liked CARS. I hate Larry the Cable Guy!

From Variety
Int'l deals on wheels - 'Cars 2' makes pit stops in Tokyo, Paris, more
Marc Graser wrote:When John Lasseter proposed an international spy caper for "Cars 2," it's not like Disney was going to object.

Where the 2006 original was a loving tribute to American car culture, the follow-up makes pit stops in Tokyo, Paris, the Italian Riviera and London. That not only enables the studio to market "Cars 2" to a broader international audience, boosting the overseas box office potential, it also sets up bigger toy sales in those territories, especially those featured in the film.

And particularly when promoting the pic's spy element to young boys.

Lasseter, a car buff who also serves as the Mouse House's chief creative officer at Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios, was looking for a way to put one of the film's central vehicles, the tow truck Mater, into humorous fish-out-of-water scenarios. While on the world press tour for the first pic, Lasseter came up with a spy story that would send Mater on a global adventure that

that would send Mater on a global adventure that would also involve Lightning McQueen and friends as they race in the World Grand Prix. The spy character Finn McMissile (voiced by Michael Caine) was seen in a drive-in movie scene in the original pic.

"John kept laughing to himself about seeing Mater in Paris or Tokyo and what he would do in those cities," said "Cars 2" producer Denise Ream. "That's where the kernel of the idea came from."

Disney wants that idea to turn into a big one.

The first "Cars" earned just 47% of its $462 million worldwide B.O. haul from international markets, falling short of how Hollywood blockbusters typically perform overseas.

"Cars" fared best in the U.K., France, Italy, Japan, Spain and Australia, so it's no wonder most of those countries appear so prominently in "Cars 2." (It also did well in Germany, but a sequence set in the country was cut due to length.)

Ream said the countries -- and showing off the beloved cars and brands driven there, including Audi, Aston Martin, Citroen, Ferrari, Fiat, Ford, Honda and Peugeot -- will enable moviegoers to claim ownership of the films in the regions. (Very few brands were featured in the first film, and only in passing references.)

But what guaranteed a greenlight for the sequel was the amount of merchandise the film has moved since 2006: a whopping $10 billion, or around $2 billion a year. Last year alone, the film revved up $2.4 billion in retail sales, making it one of the few film properties to sell more toys each year after the first film's debut. That's impressive for a film that wasn't based on an existing property.

Disney is hoping its merchandise machine speeds away with even more coin this year through the brokering of more deals with licensees, who are taking advantage of the appeal of Mater and his friends, but also the introduction of new vehicles in "Cars 2," like two gun-toting, missile-firing spy car characters and the villain's stealth boats, as well as planes and trains.

The goal is to beat the $2.8 billion that "Toy Story 3" earned last year, according to Andy Mooney, Disney's consumer products chief, who is offering "Cars 2" merchandise "in every conceivable category that will enable it to be the largest licensee program in history."

Merchandise, including 150 different die-cast cars and other playsets from Mattel (company's designed 600 die-cast "Cars" since 2006), the first Legos for the film, car-shaped chicken nuggets from Perdue, even aprons and baking tins at Williams-Sonoma, started hitting store shelves in May. Target is the primary retail partner, although products also prominently appear in Walmart and Toys R Us stores.

Promotional partners include State Farm insurance, whose jingle is sung by Mater in the film, along with the U.S. Department of Transportation, which is using Mater as a way to educate about the dangers of distracted driving and texting behind the wheel. State Farm and another partner, Juicy Juice, are embracing the spy element with an "Agents on a Mission" and "Spy School" online game.

Disney hopes the flurry surrounding "Cars 2" will pave the way for the franchise to continue on for the rest of the company in different forms.

Besides its own DVD release, "Cars 2" will also set up a direct-to-DVD spinoff, "Planes," which bows in 2013, and provides a lucrative promotional vehicle to ramp up interest in "Cars Land," the 12-acre theme park Disney is building inside California Adventure that opens next summer. The series of "Cars Toons" shorts will also continue (they air 15 times a week on Disney Channel).

But first, Disney has to make its money back on "Cars 2."

Studio spent $200 million to make the movie, which doesn't break new technological ground, but serves a Pixar's biggest production to date, according to Ream. Pixar tripled in size to handle the water and crowd effects, lighting on the cars and other technical details, including building designs.

"It was important to us that when were in London that people felt like they were in London," Ream said. "This is Pixar's biggest film in scope. There are more sets, more locations, more crowd shots and animation f/x shots. Everything was bigger by a lot."

Company also hosted its largest premiere to date at the El Capitan Theater, turning Hollywood Boulevard and the open space behind the venue into a World Grand Prix, sponsored by Kodak. The 25,000 square-foot outdoor attraction, that includes games and activities, will stay in place for ticket buyers at the theater there to enjoy through Aug. 28.

Of course, the attraction also includes a store that sells "Cars 2" merchandise. tentpole

tracker

For Variety's full slate of summer movie coverage including news, reviews, box office and features, visit http://www.variety.com/tentpoletracker 'Cars' worldwide

$10 billion

Merchandising coin since 2006

$2.4 billion

2010 merchandising
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:35 pm

Fievel wrote:Cars is my next-to-least liked Pixar film (Finding Nemo takes that spot. Yeah, I'm an asshole for hating Finding Nemo.... blah blah blah).

Can I ask why the dislike of Finding Nemo? Not challenging your opinion or anything, just curious. I was actually thinking about this movie a little a few days ago. Is it the message of putting your kids in harm's way, or just an overall sense of blah-ness, or too much Ellen DeGeneres?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:19 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Fievel wrote:Cars is my next-to-least liked Pixar film (Finding Nemo takes that spot. Yeah, I'm an asshole for hating Finding Nemo.... blah blah blah).

Can I ask why the dislike of Finding Nemo? Not challenging your opinion or anything, just curious. I was actually thinking about this movie a little a few days ago. Is it the message of putting your kids in harm's way, or just an overall sense of blah-ness, or too much Ellen DeGeneres?

Glad to. I just found it way too formulaic without bringing anything new to the table.
-Something/Somebody's missing
-A quest to find it/them
-Wacky sidekick
-The character searching finds something new about themselves or what/whoever they are searching for.
-Happy reunion at the end.

And what do they do to make it fresh and original? Make them bugs? No, did that already. Toys? Nope. Make the characters fish. That's all. Really, all it was missing was a few Alan Menken songs and it could have been a Disney hand-drawn film in the early 90's.

The Incredibles would use a similar formula a year later, but setting it in the world of superheroes was, at the time, a new and unique spin.
A year earlier Monsters Inc used the formula but inverted it by having the main characters try to get the missing person home. That and the monster characters/world was an extremely fresh idea.

........ and Ellen DeGeneres's character bugged the shit out of me!!! :lol:
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby The Vicar on Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:06 pm

TheButcher wrote:VULTURE Movie Review:
With Cars 2, Pixar Finally Whiffs

Mater = Jar Jar = FAIL
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Previous

Return to Animation