Official Cars Review Thread

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Postby raasnio on Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:27 pm

Shane wrote:Aardman owns Pixar!

LMAO

Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit was better than most of Pixar's films, imo. That's not to say I didn't enjoy Finding Nemo or The Incredibles, but Aardman can hold its own against the ultra-hyped Pixar, I think.

As for Cars, I'm sure it's good, but it isn't something I can't wait for on DVD.
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:26 pm

Shane wrote:Am I the only zoner that can't sit through a pixar movie?

I can sit through them okay, but I've never been completely wowed by any of them. The Incredibles got close, though.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Shane on Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:31 pm

RogueScribner wrote:
Shane wrote:Am I the only zoner that can't sit through a pixar movie?

I can sit through them okay, but I've never been completely wowed by any of them. The Incredibles got close, though.

thank you, I don't feel so alone now.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:37 pm

Monsters, Inc. just about put me to sleep!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Shane on Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:40 pm

I think Little Nemo was the one I had the most problems with, I had to go out for six or seven smoke breaks. And I won't leave the theatre for anything.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:42 pm

Shane wrote:I think Little Nemo was the one I had the most problems with, I had to go out for six or seven smoke breaks. And I won't leave the theatre for anything.

Was the movie that stressfull?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Shane on Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:45 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
Shane wrote:I think Little Nemo was the one I had the most problems with, I had to go out for six or seven smoke breaks. And I won't leave the theatre for anything.

Was the movie that stressfull?

Trying to watch it seemd almost stressful. I just can't take it. |It seems so dull, |I can't see why kids like it.

My son got the DVD and watched it daily, I grew to hate it even more. Thankfully he's watching my old transformers videos now.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:46 pm

You know those fish and their swimming! Why can't they walk like normal people?
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Shane on Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:47 pm

All these shows have the same cute thing that |I've seen a million times since I was a kid. |I didn't like stuff like looney tunes and Mickey mouse as a kid though either. Maybee that has something to do with it.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:51 pm

I've gotta admit, I'm with Rogue Shaner on this one, Pixar movies don't quite click with me. It's like they read a book called, "How to make a Pixar-like movie", every time they make the next one. Toy Story was good, and I won't deny that I've seen it way too many times, but I don't think any of the rest really take off. I guess when you try and be that broad, and that family-friendly you're gonna lose some of the audience (and gain a few million more).

I agree with Shane, "Little Nemo" was probably the worst specimen. Ellen seemed quirky in the way that the sister on Roseanne was quirky, as in she acted like a bloody irritating flake. And the whole thing seemed...I can't believe I'm gonna say it, please somebody stop me before it's too late, it seemed....rather MEH.

The Incredibles was OK, but I don't see why it brought so many AICNers to geekgasm. Maybe they wanted to see a Watchmen movie so badly that they made themselves love this, seeing as how it's the closest they'll ever get to seeing one.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:55 pm

Wow, Shane, seppukudkurosawa, and I should start a "Pixar ain't all that" club!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Shane on Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:56 pm

I'm in.

|Maybee we should break the negative pixar off into it's own anti Pixar thread.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:05 pm

Nah, it's fun to threadjack! :P
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:11 pm

72% day-of at RottenTomatoes.

Roger Ebert's 3-star Cars review:

Roger Ebert wrote:I wouldn't have thought that even in animation a 1951 Hudson Hornet could look simultaneously like itself and like Paul Newman, but you will witness that feat, and others, in "Cars." This is the new animated feature by John Lasseter ("Toy Story," "A Bug's Life"); it tells a bright and cheery story, and then has a little something profound lurking around the edges. In this case, it's a sense of loss.

What have we lost? Its hero, a racing car named Lightning McQueen (voice of Owen Wilson), has just lost a big race, and then one day on the highway he goes astray, and rolls into the forgotten hamlet of Radiator Springs, in Carburetor County. This was a happenin' town, back when Route 66 was the way to get from Chicago to L.A., passing through Flagstaff, Arizona, and don't forget Winona. But now the interstates and time itself have passed it by, and the town slumbers on, a memory of an earlier America.

Lightning's dream is to win the Piston Cup, the grand prix of American racing. He's on his way to the race when he gets lost, and then, more humiliating, impounded. Once released, he meets the population of Radiator Springs, led by Doc Hudson (Paul Newman), who may be an old-timer but probably knows something about Hudsons that Lightning doesn't: Because of their "step-down design," they had a lower center of gravity than the Big 3 models of its time and won stock car races by making tighter turns.

Other citizens include Mater (rhymes with tow-mater) the Tow Truck (voice of Larry the Cable Guy), Sally the sexy Porsche (Bonnie Hunt), Fillmore the hippie VW bug (George Carlin), and Sarge the veteran Jeep (Paul Dooley). Tractors serve as the cows of Radiator Springs, and even chew their cud, although what that cud consists of I'm not sure. Fan belts, maybe.

The message in "Cars" is simplicity itself: Life was better in the old days, when it revolved around small towns where everybody knew each other, and around small highways like Route 66, where you made new friends, sometimes even between Flagstaff and Winona. This older America has long been much-beloved by Hollywood, and apparently it survives in Radiator Springs as sort of a time capsule.

Doc Hudson, it turns out, was a famous race car in his day. That leads up to a race in which the vet and the kid face off, although how that race ends I would not dream of revealing. What I will reveal, with regret, is that the movie lacks a single Studebaker. The 1950s Studebakers are much beloved by all period movies, because they so clearly signal their period, from the classic Raymond Loewy-designed models to the Golden Hawk, which left Corvettes and T-Birds eating its dust. Maybe there's no Hawk in Radiator Springs because then Doc Hudson would lose his bragging rights.

The movie is great to look at and a lot of fun, but somehow lacks the extra push of the other Pixar films. Maybe that's because there's less at stake here, and no child-surrogate to identify with. I wonder if the movie's primary audience, which skews young, will much care about the 1950s and its cars. Maybe they will. Of all decades, the 1950s seems to have the most staying power; like Archie and Jughead, the decade stays forever young, perhaps because that's when modern teenagers were invented.

My girlfriend is deciding between this and The Break-Up (which I was supposed to see LAST weekend) for this weekend. I'm hoping this wins out.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby so sorry on Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:35 pm

what, no X3 for the fourth time?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:42 pm

Sadly, I have not gotten back to see it again. Some friends are going for the first time this weekend, so I might tag along.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Coldfire24 on Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:42 pm

My group of friends and myself are going to see it tonight. Reviews tomorrow.
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby Roybertito on Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:55 pm

I'm going to see it tonight, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up happy.

I love Pixar. *grasps Nemo DVD*
-Roy, Animation Addict

"Is it fear or courage that compels you, boy?" - Megatron, TRANSFORMERS (2007)

Roybertito
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:37 pm

Well I saw it at 5:30 eastern. Not a full theater but alot more young kids then normal even a baby behind me who cooed like crazy at the PIXAR Luxo Jr Logo.

I enjoyed it quite a bit and I would rank it around Pixar's solid B films (for me) Nemo and Monster's Inc. Not quite as good as TS2 or The Incredibles. I also liked he short but I prefer some of their previous ones like Geri's Game or For the Birds (keep an eye out for the birds sitting on an electrical wire wizzing by in Cars) or Jack Jack's Attack though that was released after the film. Overall I thought the film dealt with a little more adult topic in ego/vanity rather than the dead horse "does not fit in/outcast". Also be sure to stick around during the credits for some hilarious send ups of PIXAR's previous work with Ratzenberger.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Roybertito on Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:36 am

This movie was excellent. It absolutely wowed me, especially because I had lower expectations due to the mixed reaction from critics.

It's Monster's Inc. good, I'll say that, but even then, it's at the top of its game. The characters pull you in and immerse you into this world that wows you to death, putting you in awe of everything you see and stunning you at every turn.

The movie's characters are comparable to the characters in Nemo - quirky and original. The voice actors are GREAT! Even Larry the Cable Guy does well here, EXCELLENTLY in fact! Even IF he says "Git r' done" once in the movie (pissed me off a little, I got over it because of how brilliant the end scene was), he turned out to be the perfect fit for Mater.

This movie sells you on its concept. If anything, it proves that Pixar will dominate the animation market for a long time coming.

When I got out of the theatre, I was left pleasantly with that Pixar feeling - you walk out so immersed that you feel that you're still in that world. You're happy and you're joyful and you look around and you think the world is CGI... and you look at a car and you really think it's something more than just a car. Pixar is the only company that can do something like that. Take a simple thing like a car and turn it into something like what you see in Cars. The environments, the characters - Hell, the graphics are amazing.

The end scene was mindblowing. Just the sheer originality of it was great. It definately shows how much work was put into character development.

As for the short? YES. TOTAL YES. Another win for the night. The short is funny and it looks amazing. It feels more like The Incredibles than it does Cars.

I loved this movie, I will be seeing it again, and I am looking forward to Rattatouie more than ever after seeing the trailer on the big screen.

10/10
-Roy, Animation Addict

Roybertito
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby kortanaskew on Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:37 pm

Okay I wanna start off with this.

It's Good.

I see a lot of animated fare because its the only thing that my daughter will sit still for more than five minutes at a time for. So we see the good and the okay and meh, simply to get out of the house as a family. We always the avoid the bad, like DOOGAL which looked like the TURD We heard it was.

I gotta say Pixar and Aardman movies are the only thing that keep me completely interested for the entire thing. Sitting at the edge of my Seat as close to the screen as possible :p

We watched things like Over the hedge and Hoodwinked, and either they're okay or I'm busy thinking about bills, schedules, work, whatever else creeps in to your head when you're trying to relax.
Never at a Pixar movie. Never during Cars.

BUT... there is one little thing that kept me from enjoying it whole heartedly and calling it Pixar's Best.

IT'S A FRICKIN' REMAKE OF DOC HOLLYWOOD!

Let's examine this claim:

SPOILERS PLEASE!

Doc Hollywood:

Big city doctor comes through a smalltown damaging some property.
The big city doctor is on his way to California, to become a plastic surgeon, the big time in his chosen profession.

He has to do community service, he's sentenced by the town judge who is also the crusty old town doctor. He befriends a country bumpkin (played by Woody harrelson) and falls in love with one of the local girls. A girl, , that is also a LAWYER, who's known the ratrace from big city life and settles down in quiet small town.

He matures learns a lesson and befriends the town and does something for someone else for a change. Thus changing his colors and the girl falls in love right back with him.

His community service is up and he heads to California, only to realize what he's left behind and returns to the small town and girl.

Cars :

Big Famous racecar comes through a smalltown damaging some property.
The Big Famous racecar is on his way to California, to win the Piston Cup, the big time in his chosen profession.

He has to do community service, he's sentenced by the town judge who is also the crusty old town doctor. He befriends a country bumpkin and falls in love with one of the local girls. A girl, that is also a LAWYER, who's known the ratrace from big city life and settles down in quiet small town.

He matures learns a lesson and befriends the town and does something for someone else for a change. Thus changing his colors and the girl falls in love right back with him.

His community service is up and he heads to California, only to realize what he's left behind and returns to the small town and girl.

I kept hoping as i rushed home that I'd find Doc Hollywood was a remake of some obscure Jimmy Stewart or Spencer Tracy film I hadn't heard of. One that Cars was remaking or paying homage too.. Like Bug's Life and Magnificent Seven/Seven Samurai.

Because frankly, Doc Hollywood isn't really that good.
This isn't a case where they are just like similar movies. Its an out and out ripoff to the point where they should just call Cars a remake.

If you've never seen Doc Hollywood then this movie experience should be as pleasants as ROBERTITO's review above me.

I agree with his review about the magic Pixar's creating on screen . Everything else is the gum stuck underneath the shoe of Pixar.

Remember when ANTZ came out and everyone was raving about it and people were weary of A Bug's Life because it also was about insects. But then it premiered and blew it out of the water?

Well CARS does the same thing with every OTHER CGI-animated film since the Incredibles. Robots, Ice Age, Shark Tale, Hoodwinked, Over the Hedge Chicken Little, Valiant, Madagascar, The Wild. Those movies are but a distant memory here.

This is BAMBI folks.
THIS is ART.
Everyone else is making shitty afterschool cartoons. Sure they keep you entertained for a short time, but so does twiddling your thumbs.
Last edited by kortanaskew on Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
kortanaskew
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:42 pm

You are probably right but I prefer this version of the story. Doc Hollywood was to me so completely mediocre as to be forgotten completely until you mentioned this.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:56 pm

but does this movie have a Julie Warner voiced car that emerges from a lake in slow motion one early morning to reveal her ample headlights...

cause if not - i don't really think it can compare to doc hollywood and the genius that is michael j. fox...

that being said - i've loved everything from pixar... i don't get some of the monster inc and nemo bashing around here... i loved those 2 films to death when i first watched them on dvd (albeit - i was utterly stoned out of my mind for them...especially Nemo..but that whole jelly-fish scene...and the shark scene early on and etc had me enthralled...same goes for the brilliant door sequence in monsters...)

right now - nobody seems to mix good family fun - humor - and some breathtaking adventure like pixar...

and a word to the haters - try them stoned - could convert you to the dark side...

:D
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby MiltonWaddams on Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:26 am

[quote="My friend"]Cars follows the story of racing rookie Lighting McQueen, an anthropomorphic car with dreams of winning the Piston Cup. En route to the biggest race of his career, he gets seperated from his entourage and gets lost at Radiator Springs, a detour on Route 66 that is filled with country bumpkins and stereotypes alike. McQueen accidentally causes some property damage and to make up for it, he… okay, it’s Doc Hollywood.

Cliché plot points aside, I would say that Cars is by far Pixar’s most technically brilliant movie. It’s absolutely gorgeous and is rendered to perfection with scenes that are so photorealistic, they feel like filmed footage. You know that making of special on the Finding Nemo DVD where they compare test animations with actual footage? Yeah.
I know that some here would want to watch Cars for beauty alone, but every movie that Pixar has made has been more technically brilliant than the last. So big deal, right? How does the movie hold up as a whole?

Not bad, but not Pixar’s normal quality. Some of the jokes, while clever, feel forced and they even resort to *gasp* pop culture references. They even go so far as to have “The Tonight Show with Jay Limo.â€
Urer yvrf Z.J.
Xvyyrq ol ungr naq vafvqr wbxrf.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON

Postby MasterWhedon on Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:36 pm

I saw this yesterday and absolutely loved it. I give it a solid 9 out of 10.

I didn't expect to like it as much as I did, mainly because a movie about talking cars is inherently more "distancing" than one about people or human-like bugs, toys, etc. Then again, I thought the same thing before seeing Finding Nemo, and was proved SO wrong with that one.

Pixar is easily the best, most consistent production company/film factory out there. They understand character and emotion so, so well, and they always provide the audience with fitting, satisfying resolutions to even their smallest plot lines. They don't forget that this B-character has a dream to do this one thing in life. They find a way to get back to it and make it all work.

That said, I can't say this was Pixar's best film, but that's only because The Incredibles was a religious experience for me. That's a die-happy film if I've ever seen one, so everything else will of course rank below. I do think Cars is easily as good as Toy Story, A Bug's Life, Monsters, Inc., and Finding Nemo--and that, in and of itself, is an incredible achievement.

It is a "remake" of sorts of Doc Hollywood, but I think this is actually a better film. I have no problem with any film borrowing elements or a structure from known stories as long as they take it and expand upon it, make it unique in some way. That's what Cars does.

Loved the characters, loved the actors who inhabited them.

The animation was absolutely stunning. Beautiful desert vistas. The execution of everything in here is just smooth, controlled, tight. Everything was thought through.

Anyway, I could rave for a while about how great this sucker is. I just love how innocent the film is, how NOT cynical.

Quality, quality stuff.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:42 pm

Who gave this a 1?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Roybertito on Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:44 pm

Actually, I myself have seen Doc Hollywood - I hated that film, in fact.

However, Cars is a better film. And it is different. It not only shows Lightning change, but several other characters change as well. Such as? Doc Hudson, for one. There are a few sub-stories in here, and there weren't any of those in Doc Hollywood at all. The sub-stories in here are great too, such as Chick and Lightning's bout to get The King's Dinoco sponsorship now that he's retiring, etc.

Even if you have seen Doc Hollywood and hated it, go see this. You'll wind up forgetting about it while watching Cars. When I watched Cars, I didn't think about either movies it remade or any of the movie's logic until I left.

The thing about Bug's Life? I thought about the Seven Samurai/Three Amigos WHILE watching the movie. Not after. If this is a remake, then Pixar worked hard to hide it while still making it slightly obvious, so it wouldn't be blatant but it would still be there.

However, I'm looking forward to Ratattouie for one big reason - it's a totally original story. That's gonna be one Hell of a film.
-Roy, Animation Addict

Roybertito
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby MasterWhedon on Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:01 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Who gave this a 1?

I'm betting the Anti-Pixar folk who haven't seen the film.

Lame.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:09 pm

Alright I just saw the movie yesterday and I figured I would share my thoughts.

First off, going into the movie I was really afraid that I would not like it. I have never really enjoyed "cars" and I never really understood why some people obsess over them. Also, I absolutely cannot STAND Larry "the Cable Guy" I find him completely obnoxious.

Regardless, I saw the movie because PIXAR is my favorite animated studio. I have seen all of their films on the big screen and I have adored each and every one of them.

Bottom line, this movie worked for me. Right from the opening scene and the beautiful animation I was hooked. I am not sure why I ever doubted PIXAR, but I must apologize to those great folks for ever doubting them. They just know how make quality films. The story is engaging and the characters are memorable and loveable all at the same time.

Was it the best PIXAR movie? No. I couldn't get AS emotionally invested in this one as previous PIXAR movies but that isn't to say the movie doesn't have heart. I am just a sucker for Monsters Inc. and Finding Nemo.

I loved this movie and I can now add another enjoyable PIXAR experience to the list.

I gave it an 8/10.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Kilgore on Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:19 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Alright I just saw the movie yesterday and I figured I would share my thoughts.

First off, going into the movie I was really afraid that I would not like it. I have never really enjoyed "cars" and I never really understood why some people obsess over them. Also, I absolutely cannot STAND Larry "the Cable Guy" I find him completely obnoxious.

Regardless, I saw the movie because PIXAR is my favorite animated studio. I have seen all of their films on the big screen and I have adored each and every one of them.

Bottom line, this movie worked for me. Right from the opening scene and the beautiful animation I was hooked. I am not sure why I ever doubted PIXAR, but I must apologize to those great folks for ever doubting them. They just know how make quality films. The story is engaging and the characters are memorable and loveable all at the same time.

Was it the best PIXAR movie? No. I couldn't get AS emotionally invested in this one as previous PIXAR movies but that isn't to say the movie doesn't have heart. I am just a sucker for Monsters Inc. and Finding Nemo.

I loved this movie and I can now add another enjoyable PIXAR experience to the list.

I gave it an 8/10.

Thanks for making my post for me Lecko...you hit my feelings on 'Cars' right on the head, for the most part. My Pixar favorites remain 'Monsters' amd 'Incredibles' but I would put this third on my personal list. The animation was unreal at times, and there was so much going on in the background, I gave up trying to catch everything early, already submitting to the eventual DVD purchase.

Gave it a nine out of ten.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby Kilgore on Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:21 pm

OH, and Lecko...I'm starting to get the feeling you and I would get along just fine.

That didn't sound like I was hitting on you, did it? Because I wasn't. I save that behavior for Havoc. But who doesn't?
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:42 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:

Lame.

Extra Lame since it was there before the film came out.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:53 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:

Lame.

That's what the terrorists WANT you to think.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:42 am

Kilgore wrote:OH, and Lecko...I'm starting to get the feeling you and I would get along just fine.

That didn't sound like I was hitting on you, did it? Because I wasn't. I save that behavior for Havoc. But who doesn't?

HA! Yeah between the wrestling thread, Venture Bros., and this CARS thread I would have to agree.

I am just glad that there is someone in the Zone who has interest in wrestling...when I tried to post an RIP for Eddie Guerrero on the TB...I recieved several negative remarks.

Did anyone else think that the credits for CARS had some of the best gags of the whole movie? I was laughing throughout the ENTIRE credits. It was awesome.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:56 am

The gags were too good cause I stopped reading the credits.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:47 am

Kilgore wrote:

ha!

you better take a number and get in line...

oh - ya - and um...

A/S/L please...

:? :D :) :o :lol: :wink:
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:44 am

7.0, all of that for the absolutely breathtaking vistas, the gags ("Mack?! I'm Peterbuilt, dammit!", rip Joe), the now standard "great leap forward" in computer animation that each Pixar movie accomplishes, the jaw dropping racing scene at the beginning, the gags (HTB, "Hostile Takeover Bank"), the as usual ho-hum near perfect voice casting (Jeremy Piven as the agent...HAHAHA!), the fact that these stereotypical carachters can still ring laughs from tired ethnic cliches, the gags (end credits drive-in Car-Toons)...

but that story, and the "music"...egads.

Check IMDB, 10, count 'em, 10 credited writers, for a simple, cliche ridden rip off of a shite film to begin with.

And the "message", the speech delivered by Bonnie Hunt's Sally, one that I've read in interviews with Lasseter caused me to cuss out loud (shocking, I know!) after it had been uttered...
So, Interstates are bad 'cuz they don't show the true beauty of the country to drivers / cars? Or are they bad 'cuz they took business away from the kitsch shops that used to serve motorists on route 66?

It was so bad it gave me cancer. Or maybe that was the pointless musical montage not 20min into the film, set to the, are you ready for it, Tom Cochrane's sonic shitstorm "Life is a Highway" (not an Interstate tho'...). Ugh.

But the "One Man Band" short was fucking brilliance (it's high time for Pixar to start making more features featuring humans), and the Ratatouille trailer looked utterly astonishing on the big screen (not Baxter's TV).
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:55 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Check IMDB, 10, count 'em, 10 credited writers, for a simple, cliche ridden rip off of a shite film to begin with.

You know their films aren't scripted but storyboarded thus why so many credited writers.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:34 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Check IMDB, 10, count 'em, 10 credited writers, for a simple, cliche ridden rip off of a shite film to begin with.

You know their films aren't scripted but storyboarded thus why so many credited writers.

wow, Bonnie Hunt's a storyboarder? Who knew?

Let's see...The Incredibles - Brad Bird.
Finding Nemo - Andrew Stanton, Bob Peterson, David Reynolds.

So not all of 'em.

I'll give you the others, but don't tell me there's no "writer" behind the overarching stories...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RaulMonkey on Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:39 am

The Front Page wrote:Our users have posted a total of 200000 articles
We have 14337 registered users
The newest registered user is mike980 <profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=14353>

Looks like you got #200,000 to me, KCBC.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:15 am

Pixars films are scripted then storyboarded. The storyboard often takes precedence in development as essentially, films are visual and if anything can be shown and not told it's better for the movie. I'd imagine the script is conformed to the board and voiceover work, as that can often change depending on ad libs, performance and whether any new ideas crop up in the v/o record. It's a very organic process and one that we've been using a very basic version of in my latest project but it benefits the storytelling as the base is laid out and essentially the vision is kept wrapped up solely by the director.

This differs from the recent Disney way of doing things where concepts were based on marketablitiy and the film was affected by forces outside of production.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:58 am

My mistake. I was under the impression that the majority of their films were written in essentially long storyboard pitching sessions.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:08 pm

Cars

Phenomenal.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:15 pm

Saw this tonight for the first time. Certainly not the best Pixar film, but not really bad...just not the memorable piece that most of their films are.

The basic story seemed lacking and often run-of-the-mill. Pixar films usually have some kind of uniqueness, even if they have a traditional structure.

I didn't really like the way the cars had evolved into some kind of dominent life form on the planet. I think it would've worked better if there'd still been humans around and the cars were sentient in our world. Many car owners already associate a personality with their vehicle, so it might have better if they'd had that moving off into the secret sentience of the cars.

Also having the cars have eyes in their windsreen didn't look quite right. Whether it's just pareidolia or something else, eyes for headlights seems like a more obvious design choice.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:59 pm

I wasn't that impressed with Cars. I have all the Pixar DVDs and this one is my least favourite. Just seemed like a Tonka car toy commercial and throw in a small town bumpkin tone.

Best part of the film for me, George Carlin voicing the part of Fillmore.

I actually have this toy on my monitor. I bought a Mcdonald's happy meal just to get it!!!
Maui
WoWie

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:12 am

The more I watch this movie the more I love it. It's just so relaxed compared to the rest of their stuff... I used to hate the designs when they were first revealed, now they're a comfortable friend.

It's not the strongest plot but some of the scenes in there are wonderful, like the drive to the top of the ridge or when the street cars manage to set Flash loose accidently. The racing scenes are very well done too and all of the characters are beautifully written...

... if this is Pxar's hiccup, then I'm a happy boy.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Official Cars Review Thread

Postby Chilli on Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:24 pm

See, I put this up as my favourite Pixar film. In that I don't think it's the best, but I think the themes from this one resonate for me more than the other films do. I just love the whole concept of someone taking a detour from their life and finding out who they thought they were - the fact that we're getting this sort of thematic concept in a film about fricking Cars is just the icing on the cake. I wish I could be more lyrical (I had an old review up, but I can't remember where), but to me the film is just achingly beautiful in places. Particularly the scene outside of the old motel, which is such a sad and nostalgic look back at a simpler time before everything became complex in society.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:55 pm

You might enjoy this then.
Really sweet story.
Sterling Holloway FTW!

I have this on an old VHS that also has the WW2 propaganda toon"Spirit of 43".
The first screen appearance of Scrooge McDuck.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:18 am

That was pretty good, sir - even if I found several humerous and odd messages within it.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

"CARS"

Postby schumachergirl1956 on Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:38 am

I just the animated film CARS, its so funny, i was told that Michael Schumacher would put in appearance, and yes behold he was as a red ferrari he played the part beautifully. it didn't sound like him and has for speaking in italian to Luigi was fabulous its such a shame he wasn't in it long enough. :D i am a Michael Schumacher fan since 1991 and if i knew Michael wasn't in the film i still would of bought it. i wonder if they will do a part 2 and ask Michael to appear in that.I have heard rumours he will be in a film about himself and also starring in it as a leading major role, well likes hope so,i would definetly looking forward in seeing that.
schumachergirl1956
GLIB

PreviousNext

Return to Animation