Official RATATOUILLE Review Thread - SPOILERS

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

yadda...

47%
20%
13%
13%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
3%
No votes
I'll wait for TV/DVD
3%
I wont be seeing this
No votes

Total votes : 30

Official RATATOUILLE Review Thread - SPOILERS

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:21 pm

Hia Fellas!

Just picked this up over at Cartoonbrew.com

HUGE news out of the Walt Disney Co.'s shareholders' meeting today! I'm surprised that nobody else has picked up on the story yet. Animation fan Daikun, who attended the meeting, took lots of notes about what was said and posted them HERE. The big news is that he says a trailer was shown for Brad (THE INCREDIBLES) Bird's next film at Pixar. The film is RATATOUILLE, which will be released in summer 2007.

This is the first time that Bird's name has been officially associated with the film. The original director of the film had been Jan Pinkava, who had helmed the Oscar-winning Pixar short GERI'S GAME. While modern Disney films often times have had the original director replaced during the course of production, I believe that this is the first time a Pixar film has not had its original director see the film through completion. It obviously raises a lot of questions about what happened, but with Brad Bird directing, I think we can all be assured that the film is in good hands.

So there ya have it. Wondered why they replaced Pinkava but hey, I don't care. Brad Bird is God. I backtracked the name for I had no idea what it possible meant and it is this:

RATATOUILLE; [ra-tuh-TOO-ee, ra-tuh-TWEE] A popular dish from the French region of Provence that combines eggplant, tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, zucchini, garlic and herbs - all simmered in olive oil. The vegetables can be cooked together, or cooked separately and then combined and heated briefly together. Ratatouille can be served hot, cold or at room temperature, either as a side dish or as an appetizer with bread or crackers.

Gues there will be lots of farting at Pixar!
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby unikrunk on Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:54 pm

He’s a rat that lives in a Parisian cafe, apparently.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:39 pm

oh.

Hell.

YEAH!!!

More Brad Bird...MORE! Best news I've heard in a while, thanks for the scoopage.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:49 pm

Superbio.

I saw an interview with him on the release of the Incredibles at the BFI. Whatta guy!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:08 pm

Isn't this with like Hugh Jackman and Ian McKellan, and others? I thought I remembered something about the cast for this already too.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Ribbons on Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:19 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:Isn't this with like Hugh Jackman and Ian McKellan, and others? I thought I remembered something about the cast for this already too.

You're thinking of the Aardman CG project that's coming out later this year. Don't know what the name is, but that's the one with Hugh Jackman and Ian McKellen.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby The Vicar on Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:36 pm

2007?
Jebus I hate long waits.
I loved The Iron Giant.
And The Incredibles wasn't too shabby.
Yeah, I guess this will be okay.

Can we see it now, please?
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:29 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Nachokoolaid wrote:Isn't this with like Hugh Jackman and Ian McKellan, and others? I thought I remembered something about the cast for this already too.

You're thinking of the Aardman CG project that's coming out later this year. Don't know what the name is, but that's the one with Hugh Jackman and Ian McKellen.

Flushed Away.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:57 am

NEW TEASER UP NOW!!!

"It's so easy to find good food in Paris! It's just... dangerous."

[size=0]And methinks that's Neill Cumpston doing the voice of Ratatouille.[/size]
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Seppuku on Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:07 am

You know, despite being on the Anti-Pixar League, this one interests me. I'll admit that I was a bit disappointed when I got half way through the trailer and saw the rat, because up 'til then I thought Pixar might be taking on French Waiters. And I think John Cleese in the Meaning of Life proved that you can never have enough French Waiter comedy. However, the rat did come up. I don't know why I suddenly pick a movie called Ratatatouille to go on this rant, but can we ditch the animals already? You don't need animals to make a "family" movie. Why do you think The Incredibles was your best film? It wasn't because it had adorable cartoon marmocets, that's for sure.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:10 am

The trailer looked beautiful in the beginning, but then we go the rat and things pretty much flatlined. I've really liked Brad Bird's stuff so far, so I'll probably give this a shot.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Evil Hobbit on Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:00 pm

I am very very very impressed with the shown character animation. Just as the charming trailer itself. It almost feels like a complete standalone short.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:04 pm

Agreed, it's a lovely trailer. The character animation is great, the designs are very simple. Pixar know that less is more.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:18 am

Nabbed these before they disappear forever -

AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:48 pm

Pixar is getting better with their human work. I like how that even though they're not drawn in a realistic matter, they still look.. real.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:54 pm

Yay! More stylization....I sooo prefer exagerated CG to "realism" *cough* Final Fantasy, Polar Express *cough* when it comes to humans. That's the only thing making me weary of the CG Beowulf currently in the works.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:59 pm

These look good. Lots of character in the expressions.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:01 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Yay! More stylization....I sooo prefer exagerated CG to "realism" *cough* Final Fantasy, Polar Express *cough* when it comes to humans. That's the only thing making me weary of the CG Beowulf currently in the works.

speaking of, did anyone grab those Beowulf pics?
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:08 pm

Did anyone downloaded the leaked chinese trailer from a few weeks ago? It has been removed from youtube and all. Wanted to show it to a friend but... it's gone :D
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:51 am

I'm ever so pleased to inform you all that the theatrical Ratatouille trailer is finally up in (easily-accessible) glorious Quicktime.

NEW RATATOUILLE TRAILER

I actually do like this preview quite a bit. Very funny, lots of interesting character designs. Plus the animation is like totally lush and stuff. The puppetry via hair-pulling is a little bizarro, but I guess I'm willing to go with it.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed May 02, 2007 4:46 am

That doesn't too bad at all.... I'm still yet to be convinced that this will be up to the usual Pixar Standard (well, maybe it'll be on the same level as Cars) as WALL*E (?) is the big one I'm waiting for.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Evil Hobbit on Thu May 03, 2007 6:56 am

Film Ick is offering the 9 minute clip of Ratatouille for download in low, medium and high formats as well as 480p, 720p, 1080p HD.

It is simply put the most stunning 3d animation I have EVER seen.The moment the scene starts you fall in love with it, you instantly love the characters and it is as if you've been watching the flick for over hours. I stopped watching after 1 minute or so because it's just to spoiler heavy and I want to wait till the cinema but damn this is gonna be sooooo gooood.

http://www.filmick.co.uk/2007/05/finally-direct-download-links-for.html
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Thu May 03, 2007 9:09 am

Evil Hobbit wrote:It is simply put the most stunning 3d animation I have EVER seen.The moment the scene starts you fall in love with it, you instantly love the characters and it is as if you've been watching the flick for over hours. I stopped watching after 1 minute or so because it's just to spoiler heavy and I want to wait till the cinema but damn this is gonna be sooooo gooood.

That's probably a good idea. I gave in and watched the clip (it was on Disney's webpage a couple days ago; still might be, actually), and it contains mucho spoilers. It's pretty amazing though. I'm more keen on seeing the movie now than ever.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Thu May 31, 2007 8:59 am

Just throwing this out there before the movie comes out, but I was thinking a bit about Brad Bird's track record a couple of days ago when I got the idea that there was a recurring theme of sorts in all of his (movie) work: all three films are told, more or less, from the perspective of an outsider.

The Iron Giant is a story about a robot who is told that he is a soulless killing machine despite his attempts to be otherwise; The Incredibles is about superheroes who are forced into normalcy by people who don't appreciate them; and Ratatouille is about a rat who has dreams of being a chef, even though his family wants him to eat garbage and the first reaction of most people when they spot a rat in a kitchen is to kill it.

Of course, there are individual layers and details within those movies which may make the "outsider" thing coincidental or superficial, so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here, but I think there's something there.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby buster00 on Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:05 am

It looks good, but I'm skeptical about Ratatouille's box office.

Bad title. I don't think people will go see a movie whose name they can't pronounce.

Sure, the pronunciation key is in the film's logo, but the stupidity of America's lowest common denominator must never be underestimated.

I happen to think Surf's Up will do better business, because I think enough people will think that it's supposed to be Happy Feet Part 2.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:10 am

This is gonna own, just hurry up and get that rat out! AFter the dissapointment of the latest dross and drek (3) this should brighten up this artform known as animation.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:28 am

Quint says he likey very much-

Bon Appetit
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:31 pm

I think this movie will do well at the box office. It's up against DH4 - so it's Willis vs the rat. It will be interesting to see the results.

I was disappointed with Cars, it just was slow moving & not that funny. Everything that I've read as well as viewing the 9 minute trailer proves promising for me. I am a huge Pixar fan - so I will definitely be seeing this on the big screen. There have been a series of lame animated movies this summer: Shrek 3 & Surf's Up. I'm counting on Ratatouille to entertain, shine over the rest of them and perform at the box office.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:37 pm

Maui wrote: I am a huge Pixar fan - so I will definitely be seeing this on the big screen.

bunch of sneak peaks in our neck of the woods tonight.

I'll be at the Grand Lake @ 7pm...well, 6pm, as I want good seats!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:11 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Maui wrote: I am a huge Pixar fan - so I will definitely be seeing this on the big screen.

bunch of sneak peaks in our neck of the woods tonight.

I'll be at the Grand Lake @ 7pm...well, 6pm, as I want good seats!

Cool, the Grand Lake is a beautiful old theatre. I'll have to check for a Bezerkeley location. The reviews are looking pretty darn good so far.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:14 pm

Maui wrote:Cool, the Grand Lake is a beautiful old theatre.

indeed.

lots of love for the old-timer on the Wurlitzer...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:29 am

Best film of the year so far. Hopefully my review will be forthcoming!
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:59 am

Nordling wrote:Best (looking & directed) film of the year so far.

fixed.

Nordling wrote:Hopefully my review will be forthcoming!

ditto.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:01 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Nordling wrote:Best (looking & directed) film of the year so far.

fixed.

Nordling wrote:Hopefully my review will be forthcoming!

ditto.

Can we expect a review from you too KCBC? Did you end up checking out that sneak preview?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:36 am

Another technical marvel from Pixar, steeped with draw dropping, mouth watering set-pieces de resistance, if there’s any justice in the film world (and there isn’t) Brad Bird will receive a Best Director nomination for his dazzling camera etiquette (pay particular attention to angles and perspective), the sheer kinetic inventiveness of the multiple chase scenes, scrum-diddly-umptious chop suey editing choices (two brilliant scenes will stand out for years to come in editing classes), and remarkable ability to garnish this colorful ganache of cinema with images you won’t soon forget. Prettiest picture I’ve peeped all year, that’s for damn certain.

I’ve been reading some of the online comments about the inherent implausibility and ick factor involving a flick with a rat handling human food and, look, this is animation, anything is possible, so you’ve got to cut this film a little slack…yes, making a human into your puppet-chef simply involves pulling the strings of his hair, yes indeed-y, that is one learned rat with a bit of a pureed mind that manifests a deceased esteemed gourmand, and yeah, some of it is hard to swallow even by the anything goes rules of the animation game, but if you simply roll with it you’ll melt like creamy butter to its succulent charms. If you can’t accept it, fine, but it’s that very incongruity, a rat in the kitchen as savior rather than a pestilence, that makes the enterprise so amusing, no?

My one gripe would be that the plotting never crystallized for me, simply too simplistic for my refined palate that has for years been basting in the creative juices of Miyazaki’s evenhanded, balanced worldview. Oh, for sure, story wise, there is a positive theme, a good message for the kiddies (and, interestingly, one that dovetails with the somewhat controversial worldview stated so succinctly by Dash in THE INCREDIBLES), and one of the main gripes that a lot of people have grumbled over (rats + food = groty!) is handled at different times with the deft touch of a seasoned vegetable dicer and others like it was tenderized with Satan’s sledgehammer (I blanched), both to chez magnifique comedic effect. But, at times, particularly the second half of the second act, I was bored. Story beats have been egg beaten into me to such an extent that they become predictable, and, I dunno, for some reason or other, here they were obvious like a horsefly in a tiny bowl of miso, and it really vexed me. The Five-Star ending came close to making this a near classic, but my innate finicky-ness prevents me from giving it that delectable distinction.

Don’t get me wrong, the film wasn’t half-baked (tho’ I was ) and I highly (…) recommend it. The animation was truly remarkable--close-ups of rat fingers were damn near as animation can get to photo-real, Colette’s violet hair (Bird have a bit of a purple passion?) looked stunning, the Parisian skyline was ravishing, but what’ll get me to re-order this dish are the zany theatrics of the exhilarating, scampering escapades of Remy. Whether fleeing a surprisingly well armed French granny, rollickingly sloshing into the sewer system, avoiding all manner of man made obstacles, scurrying to and fro, the film is at its best when Bird just cuts loose, cramming a good 75+ years of perilous animated high jinks into eye-popping wonders of escaping entertainment.

Voice work was, as usual with a Pixar production, the perfect medium rare that so many other purveyors of cartoon cuisine depressingly botch. Patton is spot-on, all arch, wry inflection that makes his outlandish quest for acceptance palatable. Kudos for casting virtual nobody Lou Romano as Linguini, for his sweet, loveable schlub is indeed a nobody (meta casting!). Holm’s snooty French stereotype is good but gets a trifle tiresome; Peter O’Toole, however, shows up and shined like the coat of a freshly fried chicken fritter.

Solid score by Giacchino, man does jazzy breeze with ease, always up for the challenge of adding the perfect pinch of punch to the non-dialogue capering; while it doesn’t rate as high for me as his score for THE INCREDIBLES it’s still great work, and I look forward to more collaborations between him and Bird.

If my screening was any indication, the wee ones will eat this up and ask for seconds.

7.8 out of 10, not quite enough to rate it awesome, but another very good showing for both Bird and Pixar.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:11 am

mmm, tasty - could have spiced it up with a couple more salty remarks...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Maui on Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:00 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:a rat in the kitchen as savior rather than a pestilence, that makes the enterprise so amusing, no?

oui oui

Wasn't able to catch this movie last night, but looking forward to seeing it June 29th. Glad you enjoyed it.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Nordling on Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:42 am

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33042

My review's up! Top one.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby MonkeyM666 on Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:53 am

Your name is Alan?? :shock:

weird...
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:32 am

Why would that be weird?
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby MonkeyM666 on Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:51 am

I know you as Nordling... any other name doesn't do justice to the rants I read on here. No Alan could write such as thee, but Nordling!! Ooohhh haha!

or it was a lame attempt at throwing some humor around...
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:55 am

Well, in the interests of at least appearing to be some sort of professional, I decided to use my name in reviews I write from now on. I always felt weird using a handle anyway.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby MonkeyM666 on Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:12 am

It's like a cool middle name that your crazy grandmother gave you, espically having tagged in the middle like you did. Noice....

Good review too by the way. The film looks better then I thought it did, espically after seeing that newer trailer (looks amazing in quicktime HD).
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:21 am

Well I liked your review!

I'm hoping that this one is radically different from the last couple movies they released. I don't like anything Pixar has done since Toy Story 2 and for once, this doesn't look like it will annoy me. Maybe I just hold animated flicks to such a high standard that I can never enjoy them, but stuff like Over the Hedge makes me wonder, is that all it really takes to garner good reviews?

I guess stuff like The Lion King and Toy Story spoils you forever because nothing can ever touch that. But I have completely given up on animation because I just get no enjoyment from a lot of this crap. I want to punch Nemo, wipe the Earth clean of The Incredibles, sell Monsters Inc. into slave trade and put Cars in a used car dealership.

And don't get me started on those other CGI flicks because OMFG.....

/END rant/threadjack/pointless emotional outburst no one will respond to.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:24 am

Nordling wrote:I always felt weird using a handle anyway.

Exactly, eh? That's a why a the Dino, he never use a the, how you say, "Alt?" inna the Zone, eh?

Nice a review, by the way, eh? Anna KeepCool too, no? I gotta the Bird coming over to a the villa this a week for a the little children's party, eh? He's always a so much a fun for a the little ones... he's a gonna to dress uppa inna the Remy costume anna they're alla gonna to throw a the tomatoes anna such atta him, hehehehe....
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby MonkeyM666 on Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:29 am

Hey GS, I'd like to know your reasons for why you don't like The Incredibles, Nemo, bugs life and such... but we need another thread... hummm.... is there a generic animation thread?
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:33 am

godzillasushi wrote:Well I liked your review!

I'm hoping that this one is radically different from the last couple movies they released. I don't like anything Pixar has done since Toy Story 2 and for once, this doesn't look like it will annoy me. Maybe I just hold animated flicks to such a high standard that I can never enjoy them, but stuff like Over the Hedge makes me wonder, is that all it really takes to garner good reviews?

I guess stuff like The Lion King and Toy Story spoils you forever because nothing can ever touch that. But I have completely given up on animation because I just get no enjoyment from a lot of this crap. I want to punch Nemo, wipe the Earth clean of The Incredibles, sell Monsters Inc. into slave trade and put Cars in a used car dealership.

And don't get me started on those other CGI flicks because OMFG.....

/END rant/threadjack/pointless emotional outburst no one will respond to.

You look like a good candidate for The Anti-Pixar League. (Membership requires enduring rigorous rites of passage, such as keeping conscious while we all melt plastic figurines of Jessie the Cowgirl, Mr Incredible and Dory the Dopefish, whilst simultaneusly singing the theme to Antz at the top of our lungs).
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby MonkeyM666 on Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:35 am

I didn't even know that thread existed! Thanks sepp.... time for the fight to begin :twisted:
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:11 pm

So, have those "Rat + a + 2 + e" commercials been driving anybody else nuts?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Nordling on Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:41 pm

Moriarty's review: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33087

Massawyrm's review: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33109

Quint interviews Patton Oswalt: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33029

Quint interviews Janeane Garofalo: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33107

As you can see, I love this movie. It gets better and better the more I look back on it. It's a piece of art.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Next

Return to Animation