Official RATATOUILLE Review Thread - SPOILERS

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

yadda...

47%
20%
13%
13%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
3%
No votes
I'll wait for TV/DVD
3%
I wont be seeing this
No votes

Total votes : 30

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 am

I actually found more Randian themes in this film than in The Incredibles (I really didn't see them at all in that one actually).
You're bang on about Garafalo's accent, Tape, it was supremely dodgy at points but I liked her voice acting inspite of it.
Giacchinno's score is absolutely perfect, it all works to keep the energy of the film high even when the pace shifts down from breakneck to contemplative.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby tapehead on Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:02 am

Garafolo - a couple of years ago I wouldn't have noticed, but having spent some time listening to the real deal, her approximation rang flat to my ear - but you're right, it didn't matter much - the visuals of her character Colette more than made up for it, and if I can separate Garafalo's 'acting' from her articulation, she was pretty good.

I have to watch again and take more notice of the score, except for moments such as the rat band playing, the music passed by me as part of the whole experience.

I think Rand gets way too much credit for influencing a spirit of rugged individualism in popular culture. I'd much rather blame Nietszche - much more insane and much more fun.

Love the twisted Thom Yorke av Tony.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Maui on Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:44 am

tapehead wrote:An attitude of benevolence and care pervades the entire film
- it's the most sophisticated story, and possibly the most beautiful yet of
all the Pixar movies but definitely by far the most kinetic and
dynamic in terms of moving p.o.v shots utilised, movements of
characters through different environments, backgrounds and
atmospheres in the same sequence (the only previous works that come
close are 'The Incredibles' and 'Finding Nemo').

It would be impossible to name check or catalogue the way in which
this movie seems to be the distillation of the fluid motion, inventiveness,
goofyness, playful joy and wonderment of all the 'toons I've watched since
I can remember - but most especially the best of Loony Toons and Disney.

'Sophisticated' for such a large scale and admittedly commercial
piece, it's a film that manages to value acquiring good taste and
having a 'palate' as much as it does the Disney staples of family
and wholesomeness.

Apart from Garafolo's dodgy French accent, all the voice characters
are superb, but especially Peter O'Toole. However it happens to be
that his voice meshes so perfectly with the image of Ego on-screen,
from his voice over as Ego clatters away at his typewriter, to his
Proustian reminiscence (at the taste of Remy's where he is
transported back to a moment in childhood with his mother) and
change of heart after Ego tastes Ratatouille, Ego has become one of
my favourite of Pixar's / Brad Bird's creations.

Glad you liked it Tapes. It is the most beautiful of the Pixar movies, imo, the best one to date. Ego is brilliant, especially the transformation on his face once he tastes the Ratatouille and instantly recalls a childhood memory. I didn't mind Garafolo's accent so much - as her purplish tinted hair made up for it. ;) Can hardly wait to get this on DVD!!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:47 am

MonkeyM666 wrote:
I look forward to seeing it soon. I'm glad that it is worth the time, as Cars was a fierce disappointment for me.

Ditto, Cars was a demolition course.
Maui
WoWie

Postby minstrel on Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:57 pm

Cars was pretty good, IMO. I think it's the least good of Pixar's movies to date, but it isn't actually bad. It just suffers by comparison to their other work.

Ratatouille was brilliant, though. My DVD is already on pre-order at Amazon. And it will be watched a LOT.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Maui on Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:24 pm

minstrel wrote:Cars was pretty good, IMO. I think it's the least good of Pixar's movies to date, but it isn't actually bad. It just suffers by comparison to their other work.

Ratatouille was brilliant, though. My DVD is already on pre-order at Amazon. And it will be watched a LOT.

This was my favourite part of Cars:

Maui
WoWie

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:39 pm

I loved the zoom in/out flashback at the end, the eponymous dish also looked stunning like a many faceted jewel. God, I really can't say enough about the animation, it's practically divine.
I just wanted to mention Patton Oswalt, his voice acting brings a whole other dimension to the film, it's wry, sometimes ironic inflection make Remy a brilliant narrator. The way he builds tension, specifically when he's telling the audience about what Ego did after he found out Remy was responsible for the meal, is a masterclass in how to do it. The other moment is Oswalt's delivery of "I was reminded of how fragile it all was" there's real pain and dissapointment there it's just one of the things that makes an unrealistic story very believable.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:45 pm

Tony, you ever listen to Patton's comedy albums?

hysterical. Kinda a kinder David Cross, with more punchlines to boot.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:13 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Tony, you ever listen to Patton's comedy albums?

hysterical. Kinda a kinder David Cross, with more punchlines to boot.

Yeh, I got Werewolves And Lollipops after Mori mentioned how funny he was. I love his stuff, he's kinder than Cross for sure but he can be just as biting. Bit about the KFC bucket is a current favourite. And of course, CIRQUE DU SOLEIL!!!
TonyWilson

Postby tapehead on Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:42 pm

After recommendations from you guys and Mori, the comparision to Cross seals it. I love Cross' stand up and have obtained every video and audio recording of his performances I could find, so I got to give this Oswalt guy a try. He does some great and often surprisingly subtle work as Remy. Though he's pretty much the straight guy for most of the gags, his voice over introductory monologue sets the tone for everything that follows.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Zarles on Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:50 am

W&L is HILARIOUS.

'Hey dad, I threw your Blade Runner gun up on the roof. Gimme 3 pushups and maybe I'll go get it for ya.'
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:10 am

Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere. It is difficult to imagine more humble origins than those of the genius now working at Pixar, who are, in this scrivener's opinion, nothing less than the finest. I will be returning to Pixar's soon, hungry for more.
Last edited by Fried Gold on Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:12 am

Heheheh, short and sweet FG. I wholeheartedly agree with what you say.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby minstrel on Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:45 pm

Me, too, FG. I'm first in line to pick up the Ratatouille DVD, and I'll be first in line for Wall-E in theaters, too.

Pixar makes wonderful movies.
minstrel

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:54 pm

minstrel wrote:Me, too, FG. I'm first in line to pick up the Ratatouille DVD, and I'll be first in line for Wall-E in theaters, too.

Cars is Pixar's only bad movie. I'm sorry I don't need Disney lecturing me on the importance of Small Town America and it's values.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby minstrel on Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:05 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
minstrel wrote:Me, too, FG. I'm first in line to pick up the Ratatouille DVD, and I'll be first in line for Wall-E in theaters, too.

Cars is Pixar's only bad movie. I'm sorry I don't need Disney lecturing me on the importance of Small Town America and it's values.

Weird. I didn't see Cars like that. I looked at it more as a lesson in humility, grace, and the valuing of others. Small town values or big town values didn't matter. What mattered was that Lightning stopped following the model of Chick Hicks.
minstrel

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:08 pm

minstrel wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Weird. I didn't see Cars like that. I looked at it more as a lesson in humility, grace, and the valuing of others. Small town values or big town values didn't matter. What mattered was that Lightning stopped following the model of Chick Hicks.

Yeah that was there but it was like he needed to ground himself and the only way he could do that was through the small town life, which seemed to be pandering to the red states. I could have just had a knee-jerk reaction, but that's how I saw it.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:10 pm

I adore Pixar shorts! We need a favourite Pixar short film thread.

Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:12 pm

Maui wrote:I adore Pixar shorts! We need a favourite Pixar short film thread.

start it ;)
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Zarles on Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:58 pm

Already found an Easter Egg on the DVD. Yay!

It looks great, BTW. The only thing the disc is missing is a BRAD BIRD SCREAMING AT ME commentary, but there's actually more on it than I anticipated. Lifted, the new short "Your Friend The Rat", a featurette with Bird and Thomas Keller (the psychotic genius head chef at The French Laundry in Napa) entitled "Fine Food and Film", some deleted scenes, and a seriously beautiful transfer with Dolby 2.0 and 5.1. Only 15 bucks at Best Buy, too. :D
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:25 pm

What happened to Jan Pinkava, the guy was originally in charge? Sounds like nobody seems to know or talk about it.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:20 am

Jan gets a screenwriter credit along with Brad on the film, so that's good.

Watched this again tonight, and I think it might've actually edged out The Incredibles. It's still close, but the last ten minutes of it are just so goshdarn CHARMING. Linguini on rollerskates waiting tables? Brilliant.

Do yourself a favor and rent the DVD to check out the short 'Your Friend The Rat', too. Pixar's first venture into 2-D animation absolutely glows.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:37 am

Zarles wrote:
Do yourself a favor and rent the DVD to check out the short 'Your Friend The Rat', too. Pixar's first venture into 2-D animation absolutely glows.

I thought that was some dumb kid's game. hah!

I will check this out tonight. Thanks Z!!!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Zarles on Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:38 am

Ya velcom, dahlink. You won't be disappointed. There's even a song! :D
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:51 am

Maui wrote:
Zarles wrote:

God it's fucking gorgeous. They mixed all types of styles from old mod 50's McBoomBoom look to video games.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:58 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:
Maui wrote:
Zarles wrote:

God it's fucking gorgeous. They mixed all types of styles from old mod 50's McBoomBoom look to video games.

Sweet Kaga, thx! :)

Good luck for a white rat to cross your path?? I may need to hang around the garbage cans more often.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:16 am

I didn't even know white rats were natural. I thought they were simply albinos bread for laboratory use.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:37 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:I didn't even know white rats were natural. I thought they were simply albinos bread for laboratory use.

You had me curious Kaga. You're right.

History Of The Pink-Eyed White
Pink-Eyed Whites, like Frosty, have a long history in the rat fancy. The Albino rat (officially known as the Pink-Eyed White or PEW) is most likely the very first mutation to be discovered and purposely bred.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Zarles on Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:26 am

I'm sure you already have, Maui, but be sure to check that out on the DVD, too. The YouTube clip doesn't do it a whole lot of justice.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:26 pm

Maui wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:I didn't even know white rats were natural. I thought they were simply albinos bread for laboratory use.

Pink-Eyed Whites, like Frosty, have a long history in the rat fancy. The Albino rat (officially known as the Pink-Eyed White or PEW) is most likely the very first mutation to be discovered and purposely bred.

If 'Pinky and the Brain' taught us nothing else, we learnt that... The game does not conclude until the woman with the eating disorder ululates.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Maui on Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:16 pm

tapehead wrote:
Maui wrote:

If 'Pinky and the Brain' taught us nothing else, we learnt that... The game does not conclude until the woman with the eating disorder ululates.

Nice. They were mice though.
Maui
WoWie

Postby junesquad on Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:41 am

Zarles wrote:Jan gets a screenwriter credit along with Brad on the film, so that's good.

Watched this again tonight, and I think it might've actually edged out The Incredibles. It's still close, but the last ten minutes of it are just so goshdarn CHARMING. Linguini on rollerskates waiting tables? Brilliant.

I thought it was okay, but not great... I had to fight falling asleep a few times... which might have effected it, but with all the children's movies that i have to watch at work, I'm just kinda burnt on animation. I thought it was way cute, though.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

RATATOUILLE

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:35 am

The Use of the Dolly Zoom in “Ratatouille”
Todd Vaziri, a compositing supervisor at ILM, has written an enlightening piece about the subtle use of the dolly zoom in a shot during Pixar’s Ratatouille. He highlights director Brad Bird’s application of the dolly zoom as “one of my favorite uses of the technique in the last decade”:
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

RATATOUILLE 3D

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:18 am

Pixar’s director of 3D reveals that a re-release of The Incredibles and Ratatouille is in the pipeline.

Michael Rosser wrote:The Incredibles, the animated feature about a family of undercover superheroes, looks set to be re-released in 3D.

Disney-owned Pixar Animation Studios is working a 3D retrofit of the film, which took more than $630m at the worldwide box office when released in 2004 and won two Oscars including Best Animated Feature.

Speaking at the 3D Creative Summit in London, Pixar’s director of 3D production Josh Hollander said: “Right now we’re working on The Incredibles, which is a lot of fun in 3D. I’m not sure what the release strategy for it will be.

“It’s been an interesting challenge to work on technology because - while the film was released 10 years ago - the technology is even older as it took four years to make.”

Hollander also revealed that Ratatouille, which like The Incredibles was directed by Brad Bird, also looks set for re-release in 3D.

“We have a version of Ratatouille, which works really well in 3D and we’re trying to figure out exactly what the release strategy for that will be,” he told delegates.

They would follow 3D re-issues of Toy Story and Toy Story 2 as well as Finding Nemo and Monsters Inc.

Hollander’s teams are also working on the 3D for Inside Out, the animated feature set inside the mind of a young girl, which is the next film from Up and Monsters Inc director Pete Docter.

“The movie is just pure magic,” said Hollander of the film, set for a June 2015 release. “We’re looking at how translucency and opacity is used, which plays really well in 3D.

“There’s not much more I can share about it but it will build upon our use of 3D, supporting ‘emotions’ and emotional moments.”

Hollander, who joined Pixar in 2000 as a modelling coordinator on Finding Nemo, has been working on 3D for the animation studio since 2008. The first film released by Pixar in 3D was Up, in 2009.

Regaining audience confidence

Outside of Pixar, he acknowledged that films unnecessarily released in 3D had hurt the medium.

“I think that we as an industry may have lost some of our audience for 3D with releases that didn’t beg for the medium or didn’t warrant the medium or didn’t use the median in a nuanced and sophisticated and comfortable way,” said Hollander.

“I think it’s possible that we drove some folks away from 3D with the higher ticket price or whatever else. But I also think that as the industry settles on a more nuanced approach, I really hope and believe that the audiences will return.”

New tech

He added that Pixar are investigating three new technologies: High Frame Rate, Ultra High Definition 4K and High Dynamic Range.

“Of those, the High Dynamic Range seems most interesting to us because there are entire worlds of colour that we’ve not been able to show you and not be able to represent in our films because of the limited colour space of the display technologies,” added Hollander.

“4K is also interesting to us - that added clarity. High Frame Rate isn’t something we’ve been digging into yet, we doing some testing but it’s not banging down our door and begging for us to use it right now.”

Young tool

He added: “[3D] is still a young tool and just as with colour or sound or any other thing we as a community have been learning how to apply it in the most effective way and we’re getting more sophisticated.

“Our usage of it is getting more nuanced and more delicate which doesn’t necessarily mean more conservative. I think we are as a studio are expanding our usage of it and we in an industry are kind of meeting it at a nice middle place which is working really well.”

Hollander was interviewed on stage at London’s BFI Southbank by Screen International.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Animation