Page 1 of 2

COWBOY BEBOP CASTING

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:35 pm
by nodforlife
Ok, so my cousin and I were watching this last night on Adult Swim and we got to talkin' on who would play these characters in a live action film. Assuming we're doing the main story arc from the series, who would play:

Jet
Spike
Fey
Ed
Vicious

I thought Ron Perlman would make a good Jet. What say you, fellow Zoners?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:12 pm
by Fievel
My casting:
Jet - David Keith, I like Perlman too.
Spike - No opinion. I think Johnny Depp or even John Cusack would have been good 10-15 years ago. I just can't think of anyone current that could pull off smug/cocky/cool without it coming off as being fake.
Fey - Milla Jovovich - I'd just love to see her play a character with some personality... some sass if you will.
Ed - Isn't Dakota Fanning still required by law to play all young female roles? I actually think she'd do okay.
Vicious - James Marsters

Music by Yôko Kanno, of course.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:05 pm
by Kytt
The issue with Milla Jovovich is that she begins to fail the minute you give her any lines in English. She's hot, that's a given, but god damn can that woman not act.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:05 pm
by DinoDeLaurentiis
Kytt wrote:but god damn can that woman not act.


You goddamn putz, donna diss a the Milla, eh? You watch a yourself a "The Messenger" anna you gonna to see, she can act, eh?

She just a gotta to get out of a these goddamn video game movies, eh?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:09 pm
by DinoDeLaurentiis
Anna hey, come a to think of it, the Milla, she could a play a the Ed inna 'stead, no? Think of a her inna the Fifth Element, eh? Alla wispy anna crazy, like a the Ed.

I like a the Ron Perlman as has a been a suggested for a the Jet.

Inna today's Hollywood? The role of a the Spike, she gonna to go to a the Hugh Jackman, hands a down, no?

As a for a the Fey, how 'bout a the chick who plays a the Sun onna the Lost, eh?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:10 pm
by Kytt
Ultraviolet gave me cancer.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:25 pm
by AtomicHyperbole
I thought it was the Canadians that gave you cancer.

"I'm going to give you cancer!"

"No, dude! Don't give me cancer!"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:53 pm
by The Ginger Man
Milla or Sun playing Fay?!?!? No way, man. Fay needs to be played like a hardcore femme fatale! She needs to ooze sex and sass at all times. Not to mention, you've picked two very .... uh, "thin" actresses to play the most curvacious character in the entire series. Not saying you should cast by breast size, but Faye's confident flaunting of her body is part of her character...so you need someone who can literally fill out the role.

And I do like the idea of Milla for Ed, but she's too old. Perlman is great for Jet. Spike...eh...gotta think about these and get back to y'all.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:09 pm
by Malachi Constant
I like Keira or Portman for Fey. I can not tolerate jovavich, shes' purty enough but she hasn't got even a smidgen of acting talent. I think Jackman is too cardboard outside of wolverine and not convincingly cocky/goofy enough for Spike. Perlman is a really good choice for Jet. I think Spike would have to be sort of e revelation, like if you could make topher Grace cool enough, he's got the acting chops, and can surely play flawed. Maybe they'd simply have to build a steallr cast around an unknown. Any known actor would bring all sorts of baggage to what is really an original role.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:11 pm
by The Ginger Man
Come on, guys. This is almost a no brainer. This is Fay.

Image

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:19 pm
by The Ginger Man
Or better yet, Monica Bellucci.

Image

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:28 pm
by The Ginger Man
While looking for a good Spike, I am amazed to find that Vincent Cassel use to have Spike's exact haircut.

Image

I'd also rather see Johnny Depp play Vicious than Spike. Depp has the range and intensity to really flesh out the role, and it would also be a refreshing change from the nicer parts he's been playing recently.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:54 pm
by The Ginger Man
Keanu Reeves. I don't know that he'd be my first choice for the role of Spike, but I'm pretty sure he'd be in the short list for the studio's choice.

Image

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:01 pm
by MadCapsule
The Ginger Man wrote:Milla or Sun playing Fay?!?!? No way, man. Fay needs to be played like a hardcore femme fatale! She needs to ooze sex and sass at all times. Not to mention, you've picked two very .... uh, "thin" actresses to play the most curvacious character in the entire series. Not saying you should cast by breast size, but Faye's confident flaunting of her body is part of her character...so you need someone who can literally fill out the role.




I'll be the pig and say it: Fey needs to have a rack on her.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:03 pm
by MadCapsule
The Ginger Man wrote:Keanu Reeves. I don't know that he'd be my first choice for the role of Spike, but I'm pretty sure he'd be in the short list for the studio's choice.

Image



Blasphemy! Look at him! He doesn't even know what the fuck is going in that photo!

Seriously, no.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:06 pm
by The Ginger Man
MadCapsule wrote:
The Ginger Man wrote:Keanu Reeves. I don't know that he'd be my first choice for the role of Spike, but I'm pretty sure he'd be in the short list for the studio's choice.


Blasphemy! Look at him! He doesn't even know what the fuck is going in that photo!

Seriously, no.


I didn't say I liked it. I just said, he's probably who a studio would choose.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:07 pm
by MadCapsule
I know. It just makes me mad that it would probably happen.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:10 pm
by MadCapsule
Cedric from The Mars Volta has the right look.


Image

ABOMINABLE

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:09 am
by bastard_robo
This is kinda hard, i was actually thinking about this the other day.

I do know that i have found the perfect actor to play Jet.

If any of you watch LOST (im sure you do) and episode that they showed a couple of month back where we learned were Sayid got his Tourter training from.

The Head US ARMY guy who made Sayid do it. I forgot his name, but i think it was the guy who actually dose the voice for JET as he souned so much like him.

Not only that, but he had the build for jet, and was the perfect age, The only thing was he just needs to dye his beard and hair for the part.

COWBOY BEBOP CASTING

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:06 am
by bastard_robo
I also forgot, i think the girl that played River in Serenity might make a good Ed.

If you ever watch Firefly, she has a lot of Ed's manurisms. All you need is the super crazy talk from her.

Re: ABOMINABLE

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:16 am
by MadCapsule
bastard_robo wrote:This is kinda hard, i was actually thinking about this the other day.

I do know that i have found the perfect actor to play Jet.

If any of you watch LOST (im sure you do) and episode that they showed a couple of month back where we learned were Sayid got his Tourter training from.

The Head US ARMY guy who made Sayid do it. I forgot his name, but i think it was the guy who actually dose the voice for JET as he souned so much like him.

Not only that, but he had the build for jet, and was the perfect age, The only thing was he just needs to dye his beard and hair for the part.



You're thinking of Clancy Brown. I don't think he did the voice for Jet, though. It's also been suggested here that he play Batman in a Dark Knight Returns movie.

COWBOY BEBOP CASTING

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:36 am
by bastard_robo
To be honest though, one will probably have to cast a group of relative unknowns for a movie like this.

To try to place a "name star" with any of these charecters might hurt it more than anything.

You want to see SPIKE, JET, FEY and ED, not some actor who's putting their "TAKE" on the charecter.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:24 am
by havocSchultz
Fievel wrote:
I just can't think of anyone current that could pull off smug/cocky/cool without it coming off as being fake.



ryan reynolds... alas - he might not have the right look - and alot of people might hate him... but IMO he pulls off smug/cocky/cool better than most right now..

MadCapsule wrote:I'll be the pig and say it: Fey needs to have a rack on her.


Image


just maybe give her a bit of a dye job...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:02 am
by MadCapsule
havocSchultz wrote:
Fievel wrote:
I just can't think of anyone current that could pull off smug/cocky/cool without it coming off as being fake.



ryan reynolds... alas - he might not have the right look - and alot of people might hate him... but IMO he pulls off smug/cocky/cool better than most right now..

MadCapsule wrote:I'll be the pig and say it: Fey needs to have a rack on her.


Image


just maybe give her a bit of a dye job...



That would work for me! The tanktop is a wondrous invention...

Mmmm...memories of Season 2 of 24. Kim in a wifebeater.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:08 am
by havocSchultz
MadCapsule wrote:
That would work for me! The tanktop is a wondrous invention...

Mmmm...memories of Season 2 of 24. Kim in a wifebeater.


canadian women rock the muthafuckin casbah... :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:15 am
by Retardo_Montalban
Spike needs to know Kung Fu. If he don't, then he's just a pussy. I vote for Stephen Chow as Spike. He has everything you could want except the perm.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:17 am
by havocSchultz
Retardo_Montalban wrote:Spike needs to know Kung Fu. If he don't, then he's just a pussy. .


Keanu Reeves wrote: Whoa. I know kung fu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:19 am
by MadCapsule
havocSchultz wrote:
MadCapsule wrote:
That would work for me! The tanktop is a wondrous invention...

Mmmm...memories of Season 2 of 24. Kim in a wifebeater.


canadian women rock the muthafuckin casbah... :D



She's said that whisky is her drink of choice, too! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:33 am
by havocSchultz
MadCapsule wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:
canadian women rock the muthafuckin casbah... :D



She's said that whisky is her drink of choice, too! 8)


she also once stated in a Maxim interview that she kinda likes porn - not in a "traditional" male way - but she figures that if she can have porn with her cable package - it means she has the money to afford to "throw it away" like that and that it is some sort of almost status symbol...

porn, whiskey and the drop dead "talent" that she has... i seem to be at a loss for words...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:35 am
by MadCapsule
havocSchultz wrote:
MadCapsule wrote:[quo te="havocSchultz"]

canadian women rock the muthafuckin casbah... :D



She's said that whisky is her drink of choice, too! 8)


havocSchultz wrote:porn, whiskey and the drop dead "talent" that she has... i seem to be at a loss for words...



I seem to be at a loss for my pants...

COWBOY BEBOP CASTING

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:05 am
by bastard_robo
Retardo_Montalban wrote:Spike needs to know Kung Fu. If he don't, then he's just a pussy. I vote for Stephen Chow as Spike. He has everything you could want except the perm.


Spike dosnt use Kung Fu, he uses Jeet Kun Do, Bruce Lee's style.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:32 am
by Oni
Your choices for ed have all been too old, imo. Dakota wins by default from the nominations you've put up.
I like the Pearlman suggestion for Jet. I can see Vincent Cassel playing Spike in the physical sense, but can he pull off the character's attitude?
Angelina as Faye would be hot. No contest.
For Vincent... how 'bout Keifer Sutherland?

Re: COWBOY BEBOP CASTING

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:28 am
by Retardo_Montalban
bastard_robo wrote:
Retardo_Montalban wrote:Spike needs to know Kung Fu. If he don't, then he's just a pussy. I vote for Stephen Chow as Spike. He has everything you could want except the perm.


Spike dosnt use Kung Fu, he uses Jeet Kun Do, Bruce Lee's style.


Jeet Kun Do is Kung Fu. That is why you will find Bruce Lee movies in the Kung Fu section at the video store. Are they actually going to make a Bebop movie? or is this just a wet dream?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:22 pm
by Seppuku
Just finished re-watching this (I loved it as much as ever), and I figured I'd throw in my choices, even though thinking about a live-action bebop movie is probably just pissing in the wind:

Spike: Joseph Gordon-Levitt. I swear he'd be perfect as Spike. Third Rock from the Sun proved he could do the snarky thing; he's got the rake-thin physique, coupled with mysterious dark looks; and Mysterious Skin proved that he was also one hell of an actor.

Jet: Laurence Fishburne. I know, I know, there'd probably be a load of Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin style racist bitching, but Jet is jet-black in all but skin-colour. Larry would be perfect.

Faye Valentine: Carla Gugino. She looks the part, and I KNOW she'd play the bitchy temptress to perfection. Yeah, I'll stick with her.

Ed: THIS is the toughie. I wouldn't go for a child actress personally. Just take anyone, put 'em on ketamine, and they'll do the job.

Vicious: Ken Watanabe.

Julia: Naomi Watts



/End masturbation.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:33 pm
by Brocktune
seppukudkurosawa wrote:Faye Valentine: Carla Gugino. She looks the part, and I KNOW she'd play the bitchy temptress to perfection. Yeah, I'll stick with her.


dude, get outta my head!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:56 am
by Fievel
seppukudkurosawa wrote:Jet: Laurence Fishburne. I know, I know, there'd probably be a load of Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin style racist bitching, but Jet is jet-black in all but skin-colour. Larry would be perfect.


I can't disagree with that. I think that'd actually be a good fit. On top of that, I'd LOVE to see Fishburne play a role that wasn't so friggin' heavy/serious as this series was mostly cool, fun, and funny with some kickass action inbetween. Fishburne hasn't intentionally made me laugh since the days of Cowboy Curtis.

COWBOY BEBOP CASTING

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:52 am
by bastard_robo
Ive come to the conclusion that a live action movie of CB just cant be made. Theres no way it could translate....


But god forbid it did happen, Im standing by my Clancy Brown as Jet casting.

And the RIVER from Firefly as ED.

and NO angilna as Fey. NO!

Re: COWBOY BEBOP CASTING

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:32 am
by Seppuku
bastard_robo wrote:Ive come to the conclusion that a live action movie of CB just cant be made. Theres no way it could translate....


:roll: :roll: Serenity :roll: :roll:

Naw, Whedon could never do something as cool as Bebop (even though I like the guy). I do think it could be done though, just as long as they don't make it too much like the Fifth Element or something. The thing is with Sci-Fi's is that they sometimes have a tendency to get lost up their own ass, when with Bebop, one of the best things is how the sci-fi doesn't dictate the plot- that and the typically Anime-style drip-feeding of character history. Live-action WOULD make Bebop lose some of its coolness no matter what.

And there's no getting around that last scene in Real Folk Blues. Maybe if they did make the live-action movie, they should do what the other Cowboy Bebop movie did, which is just set it between one of the missions.

I'm happy with what we got though to tell you the truth. 26 perfect "sessions" is cool with me. Not to mention a pretty good movie to boot. I don't think we'll ever get something quite like Bebop again- though Trigun, NGE, Elfen and a few others are all pretty good- and, unlike Naruto, it came and went without outstaying its welcome.

COWBOY BEBOP CASTING

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:12 am
by bastard_robo
Agreed.

Re: COWBOY BEBOP CASTING

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:21 pm
by Ribbons

Re: COWBOY BEBOP CASTING

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:42 am
by bastard_robo
Ribbons wrote:Ah shit, son



FUckers couldnt leave well enough alone!

Re: COWBOY BEBOP CASTING

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:41 pm
by Spandau Belly
I second or third Elisha Cuthbert as Faye. She's perfect for it.

I'd probably cast Spike a bit younger than the rest of you and go with Adam Brody (played Seth on The OC). But you guys going for Adrian Brody are cool too.

Billy Bob Thorton as Jet, hands down.

Re: COWBOY BEBOP CASTING

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:27 am
by Tyrone_Shoelaces
I like the Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Vincent Cassel suggestions for Spike. Ron Perlman isn't a horrible idea for Jet but I'm worried he might look like he just stepped off the set of Ice Pirates. No objections to Miss Cuthbert - in anything - but I bet they ask Biel first.

Re: COWBOY BEBOP CASTING

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:35 am
by Al Shut
Spandau Belly wrote:I'd probably cast Spike a bit younger than the rest of you and go with Adam Brody (played Seth on The OC).


Apart from (maybe) the hair that's all kind of wrong.


I haven't my own suggestions ready but for a Cowboy Beebob movie the keyword should be cool. And not in a overused, broad, synonymous for somewhat positive kind of way.

"Everybody be cool. You be cool"

Re: COWBOY BEBOP CASTING

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:18 am
by Spandau Belly
Al Shut wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:I'd probably cast Spike a bit younger than the rest of you and go with Adam Brody (played Seth on The OC).


Apart from (maybe) the hair that's all kind of wrong.


I guess I find Spike really smug and sarcastic, and when I watch the cartoon I see him as a guy in his 20s not a dude in his 30s, so that's why I went with Adam Brody. And yeah, the hair.

Re: COWBOY BEBOP CASTING

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:24 am
by Al Shut
MAkes me wonder if he sounds much different in english.

And yeah I checked and he's 27.

Re: COWBOY BEBOP CASTING

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:47 am
by travis-dane
STEVEN SEAGAL for JET!
He knows how to cook/speak Asian,he knows how to kick ass,he is old and he would look total Badass with a Robotic Arm.....

Biel or Cuthbert for FAYE is good,but I would go for Rosario Dawson.

Re: COWBOY BEBOP CASTING

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:58 am
by bastard_robo
I know that this is a BILLION and one shot, and even I'm not so sure about it, but just on looks alone...


For your consideration..

GINA CARANO AS FEY!
Image

Re: COWBOY BEBOP CASTING

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:03 am
by bastard_robo
And I still stick with my nom of CLANCY BROWN as Jet...

Image

Re: COWBOY BEBOP CASTING

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:34 am
by travis-dane
Clancy Brown would be great as JET,how could I forget about him......