Disney re-used animation...

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Disney re-used animation...

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:52 am

AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:20 am

That is quite interesting...I wish that I could have read what they were writing.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:28 am

Feed it through Babelfish. Not quite perfect, but gives you a gist of things.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:42 am

Very interesting.

A similar story is that of the Angel One matte painting in Star Trek, across a few different series. Similar thing for re-used effects shots in a lot of TV series, particularly explosions, etc...like I don't know how many times I saw those Jem'Hadar fighters crash into the Klingon battle cruiser in exactly the same fashion.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby freak2thec0re on Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:52 am

definitely interesting . . . can't blame them too much though. Animation is so mind-bogglingly time-consuming. I did a five-minute animation, with minimal movement, mostly just dialogue, and it was the toughest short film I've ever made. Shit just takes soooo long to do . . . so yea, can't blame them for re-using animations like that
"Serves you right, Cartman, you're a sell-out!"
"I'M NOT A SELL-OUT! Wait- What's a sell-out?"
"Anyone in the entertainment business who makes money, is a sell-out"
freak2thec0re
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby brendonconnelly on Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:11 pm

Jerry Beck at Cartoon Brew mentioned a few famous examples NOT included in the Russian article... but I can't give you a direct link seeing as how they archive the page. Just go to www.cartoonbrew.com and get scrolling.
brendonconnelly
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:19 pm

Some of that isn't really "reusing" the animation. Like Maid Marien and SNow White....Most likely tha animators looked to Snow White which was like Disney's Magnum Opus in an attempt to rekindle the Magic. The 101 Dalmations is a cycle same goes for the multiple monkeys or elephants dancing in a pattern.

If the gist of this is that the animators merely traced previously done work I doubt it considering most animation cels were washed and reused to cut down on production costs.....especially around the time of the Jungle Book when they were about to shut down hand drawn animation for good.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby austenandrews on Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:49 pm

If memory serves, Dalmations was the first Disney film to use Xerox as a staple of the production. Jungle Book came during that era.

I always had the feeling that Robin Hood was a lower budget affair, so I'm not surprised that they copied sequences from earlier movies. Snow White's dance with the dwarves was a particularly wonderful piece of work to copy. I'm amazed I never noticed it.
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby brendonconnelly on Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:52 pm

There is now a video on my blog there that shows some of these examples in a sort of one/two/one/two fashion.

If you wanna go see it, it's here.

Now I need to make a video myself, including rips from the DVDs of the scenes.
brendonconnelly
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby buster00 on Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:27 pm

brendonconnelly wrote:Jerry Beck at Cartoon Brew mentioned a few famous examples NOT included in the Russian article... but I can't give you a direct link seeing as how they archive the page. Just go to www.cartoonbrew.com and get scrolling.

That's an EXCELLENT link; thank you so much, Brendon!!

You can't blame Disney for Xeroxing on Dalmatians. Walt hated it, but YOU try animating all those dots...! Story goes that someone counted all the black spots in the movie, frame-by-frame, and reached the total of 6,469,952 (source - iMDB).
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby freak2thec0re on Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:33 pm

actually I got to 6,352,632 then lost count . . . just estimated the rest
"Serves you right, Cartman, you're a sell-out!"
"I'M NOT A SELL-OUT! Wait- What's a sell-out?"
"Anyone in the entertainment business who makes money, is a sell-out"
freak2thec0re
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:17 pm

buster00 wrote:
brendonconnelly wrote:Jerry Beck at Cartoon Brew mentioned a few famous examples NOT included in the Russian article... but I can't give you a direct link seeing as how they archive the page. Just go to www.cartoonbrew.com and get scrolling.

That's an EXCELLENT link; thank you so much, Brendon!!

You can't blame Disney for Xeroxing on Dalmatians. Walt hated it, but YOU try animating all those dots...! Story goes that someone counted all the black spots in the movie, frame-by-frame, and reached the total of 6,469,952 (source - iMDB).

Xeroxing was used for years aside from Dalmations. It sped up the clean up process dramatically and has nothing to with the animation itself.

Essentially pre Xerox a large group of women would by hand ink the cleaned up animation from a page to an acetate sheet by tracing each individual frame. The Xeroxing was implemented to copy the clean line work (and ignore nonphoto blue pencil) onto the acetate which was still painted by hand. The dots on the Dalmations would have still been hand animated. The photocopying process would not have side stepped that. I am surprised that Walt hated it considering the hand inking process used to "stiffen" the animator's work by essentially passing it through the hands of a third party.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:37 am

Damn, I always knew there was something weird about that Maid Marion dance but I could never put my finger on it. Now I know!

(and knowing is half the battle!)

Thanks!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:03 am

Roger Myers Jr.: Okay, maybe my dad did steal Itchy, but so what? Animation is built on plagiarism!
[lawyer slaps his forehead]
If it weren't for someone plagiarizing the Honeymooners, we
wouldn't have the Flintstones. If someone hadn't ripped off Sgt.
Bilko, they'd be no Top Cat. Huckleberry Hound, Chief Wiggum,
Yogi Bear? Hah! Andy Griffith, Edward G. Robinson, Art Carney.

Myers: Your honor, you take away our right to steal ideas, where are
they gonna come from?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Animation