Over the Hedge

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Over the Hedge

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon May 08, 2006 7:55 am

AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon May 22, 2006 2:08 pm

Hehehe... it had a the lot of a the cute little bunnies in it, anna they alla go onna some mad-a-cap adventures, eh?

Anna Nick Nolte, he was a like a some big scary bear... even a more scary than he is inna the real life, eh?

Anybody else go anna see it?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon May 22, 2006 3:08 pm

What, nobody go see it, eh?

Come on... Peven! Surely you go anna see this one, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby so sorry on Mon May 22, 2006 3:10 pm

I'm saving up to go see Carz
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Lady Sheridan on Mon May 22, 2006 3:28 pm

They almost had me by putting a turtle in it.

And then they gave the turtle the voice of Garry Shandling and promptly lost my ticket.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby MiltonWaddams on Mon May 22, 2006 3:31 pm

I've heard nothing but good things from the kids at school (kindergarteners), and the parents who've taken them. I heard a lot of the jokes are for adults, which pisses me off. I can't even tell you how many kids came up to me and said they saw Shrek 2 but didn't understand a lot of it.

A teacher I work with said not as good as Pixar, better than Madagascar (Ben Stiller as a feriocious lion, good call. Was Woody Allen busy?).

All the kids are giving it a thumbs up and the parents seem moderately pleased. That's not so much of a review but a go ahead to take your nephew.
Urer yvrf Z.J.
Xvyyrq ol ungr naq vafvqr wbxrf.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon May 22, 2006 3:51 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:They almost had me by putting a turtle in it.

And then they gave the turtle the voice of Garry Shandling and promptly lost my ticket.

That's a the whole point though, eh? The voice, she goes along perfectly with a the character of a the little turtle thingy...
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Lady Sheridan on Mon May 22, 2006 3:54 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:They almost had me by putting a turtle in it.

That's a the whole point though, eh? The voice, she goes along perfectly with a the character of a the little turtle thingy...

That turtles are slow and ALF like Garry Shandling is a common misconception. 8)
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Brocktune on Tue May 23, 2006 4:25 pm

they were doing a 10am screening of "He-Man & She-Ra: The Secret of the Sword" last saturday. it was only $2.50! i got up extra early, because i thought, surely the nerds and the moms with kids are going to come out for this, because it was so cheap, and its great for kids. long story short, we were the only ones in the theater. turns out all the kids went to see "Over the Hedge". and the nerds... well, they must've stayed the fuck in bed or something. losers. i cant believe we were the only ones cool enough in this fuckin town to come out to see he-man for 2.50. when i say "cool" i mean that in the absolute nerdiest sense possible. my only regret is that i didnt bring any bowls to smoke during the flick. if i had've known we would have the whole place to ourselves, we wouldve had that place looking like the van in cheech and chong's "up in smoke".

the point is, i blame over the hedge. i dont know what those dreamworks guys have against the scheimer family, and filmation, but fuck them.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Coldfire24 on Tue May 23, 2006 4:30 pm

I'm taking my brother to see this today or tomorrow. He is 9. Full review then.
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby Pudie on Tue May 23, 2006 5:08 pm

MiltonWaddams wrote:I've heard nothing but good things from the kids at school (kindergarteners), and the parents who've taken them. I heard a lot of the jokes are for adults, which pisses me off. I can't even tell you how many kids came up to me and said they saw Shrek 2 but didn't understand a lot of it.

A teacher I work with said not as good as Pixar, better than Madagascar (Ben Stiller as a feriocious lion, good call. Was Woody Allen busy?).

All the kids are giving it a thumbs up and the parents seem moderately pleased. That's not so much of a review but a go ahead to take your nephew.

I'm 22, and a kid at heart and loved it. It's not nearly as adult as the Shrek movies, but not very kiddy ethier. There were just as many kids laughing as parents and the showing I went to and everyone seemed to really enjoy it, myself included. I'd even say it's better then the Shrek movies and a few of Pixars.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Peven on Tue May 23, 2006 5:18 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:What, nobody go see it, eh?

Come on... Peven! Surely you go anna see this one, no?

i am certainly planning on catching it in theatres, Dino. haven't had the chance yet, as i coach my daughter's softball team, and since our team came in first in our league, i am the designated city all-star coach, and have been swamped putting the team together, trying to raise money to pay for tournaments, dealing with disgruntled parents of girls who didn't make the team, etc.

anyway, i like the looks of the movie from what i can see in the trailers and my kids have been telling me they want to see it for the last few months.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby buster00 on Tue May 23, 2006 6:19 pm

Does it have fart jokes?

I won't go unless there are cute, cuddly l'il fart jokes.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pudie on Tue May 23, 2006 6:26 pm

buster00 wrote:Does it have fart jokes?

I won't go unless there are cute, cuddly l'il fart jokes.

It has skunk jokes. Close enough.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby rob_merritt on Tue May 23, 2006 6:53 pm

It was actually better than I expected. Better than Hoodwink (mostly because of animation quality), not as good as Madagascar but none of these movies are classics so ranking them is kind of silly. Over the Hedge was a great concept but something was missing that could of really carried it to the next level of quality. Still I liked it. The ending was a riot. My 6 year old just didn't get much of the movie either. He loved Madagascar, Ice Age II and most other CGI movies but he was rather "meh" on Over the Hedge. The reviewers who said there weren't a lot of pop culture based gags clearly missed a lot of them. There may of be less that shrek and less obvious but there were still a lot of them.
rob_merritt
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby kortanaskew on Mon May 29, 2006 3:19 pm

better than Madagascar (Ben Stiller as a feriocious lion, good call. Was Woody Allen busy?).

Did you even see Madagascar? The ferocious lion was kind of a pussy umm pussycat... so Ben Stilelr's voice fit perfect. Im not a big fan of Madagascar, but any film that has Chris Rock voicing a zebra from the ghetto talking about Cracker-lackin' ain't all bad.

As for Over The Hedge

I heard a lot of the jokes are for adults, which pisses me off.

It's based on a sunday morning comics strip, you know in the same pages as Boondocks and Doonesbury and while it doesn't have adult humor, it's not the Family Fuckin' Circus. Adoloscents might get a kick out of the strip but not 5 year olds. So why should the big screen cartoon dumb itself down? because it has cute cuddly animals in it? Do yourself a favor if they ever make a movie out of Bloom County/Outland/Opus keep your kids away from it.

I can't even tell you how many kids came up to me and said they saw Shrek 2 but didn't understand a lot of it.

I understand why they dont get it. You know Shrek isn't timeless. It may have been released in 2001 but the jokes poke fun of the stuff from the mid 90's. They won't get these jokes when these kids become Teens and Adults eitehr. Much like we don't laugh at a lot of the pop culture references in old Warner Bros. cartoons. Yeah Bugs and the gang are much hipper than Mickey and Co. but the guys at Warner weren't out to make timeless classics and a lot of the jokes fall flat now. Shrek will only get worse with age. While Finding Nemo will age like wine.

As for Over the Hedge, they cut back on those pop culture references. The jokes are adult in the same nature the jokes in Toy Story about some of the disfunctions the toys had in that movie. Each one of those toys was a mental case. The kid will enjoy them as they get older.

That being said the film itself is not destined to be remembered. Ecen Chicken Little's bett4r than this one.
Its good for a 1 time viewing. Unless you're a kid. Then you're gonna watch it exactly 87 times.
Last edited by kortanaskew on Tue May 30, 2006 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
kortanaskew
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Ribbons on Mon May 29, 2006 3:23 pm

kortanaskew wrote:Even Chicken Little's better than this one.
Its good for a 1-time viewing. Unless you're a kid. Then you're gonna watch it exactly 87 times.

SADBUTTRUEILASH
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Brocktune on Tue May 30, 2006 6:07 pm

kortanaskew wrote:Much like we don't laugh at a lot of the pop culture references in old Warner Bros. cartoons.

i couldnt disagree more. if you get the reference, the jokes are funny. its not the writers fault that you arent as familiar with their pop culture references as they are.

kortanaskew wrote:Yeah Bugs and the gang are much hipper than Mickey and Co. but the guys at Warner weren't out to make timeless classics

thats an awfully presumptive assessment from somebody who wasnt there

kortanaskew wrote:and a lot of the jokes fall flat now

thats just not true.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby kortanaskew on Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:40 am

Sorry, Brocktune I like Warner Bros. Cartoons as much as the next guy, But when you watch a Tom and Jerry cartoon, you don't see a single pop culture reference. And aside from Wartime cartoons at Disney they didn't have any cultural references in their shorts or featrues either. That is until Robon William in Aladdin and then not again until Chicken Little.

Warner Bros. are chock full of parodies of movie stars and political slogans that few people alive remember and care about.
Im not talking about the president and humphrey bogart. But sometimes there was some b-listers mention in there.

Would you make a cartoon today and parody John Kerry and Casey Affleck and expect some kid 70 years from now to remember them?

Take a look at this Warner Bros. release.
While I found it funny for allt he wrong reasons. You can't tell me. They were making this one for prosperity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3VKDKpRWJ0
kortanaskew
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Brocktune on Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:56 pm

kortanaskew wrote:Sorry, Brocktune I like Warner Bros. Cartoons as much as the next guy, But when you watch a Tom and Jerry cartoon, you don't see a single pop culture reference. And aside from Wartime cartoons at Disney they didn't have any cultural references in their shorts or featrues either. That is until Robon William in Aladdin and then not again until Chicken Little.

what point are you trying to make? that cartoons that are supposedly devoid of any pop culture reference (which really isnt possible, imo) are funnier? no way. tom and jerry fucking suck. ok, some of the original MGM ones are ok, and the psychedelic ones they did in the 60's, when chuck jones, or whoever was doing them was obviously on a regular LSD regimen, are kind of cool, but otherwise, BORING!

kortanaskew wrote:Would you make a cartoon today and parody John Kerry and Casey Affleck and expect some kid 70 years from now to remember them?

i dont give a fuck what kids 70 years from now remember, im writing whats funny to me. and who would write a cartoon worrying about if people will get it in 70 years? and these things were never written for kids anyways. i would expect a child of the 40s to get just as few of the pop culture references as a child of today, and yet both children would still find them funny.

i get a great deal of those references, so why shouldnt anybody else? besides, the warner brothers shorts are funny beyond their pop culture references. you must be confusing them with "family guy"

in addition, pop culture references are what all of the humor from "pinky & the brain" and "animaniacs" are based on right? im sure you laughed at those.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:44 am

So I saw this movie today, though I didn't really intend to. It just sort of happened. But it wasn't a bad experience at all.

Over the Hedge is the latest offering from Dreamworks Animation. I dug The Prince of Egypt and Antz, but I've pretty much been indifferent to the rest of their offerings, including the Shrek films. OTH is no great work of art, but it is an entertaining romp the (say it with me!) whole family can enjoy!

The animation was pretty good, but then when's the last time anyone saw a crappy looking cg animated movie? The technology is there, one only has to use it. There was one shot late in the film when time stops for all but one character so all the imagery is frozen as the camera pans around and under these characters frozen in time. It was quite beautiful and I really enjoyed how everything looked in that sequence. The characters and environment truly looked 3D, enough that I felt like reaching out to touch them. Everything of course looks a bit cartoony, but it's a textured cartoon that seems viable and you get a sense that these characters are actually occupying a space rather than just being thrown next to each other.

The songs by Ben Folds were pretty underwhelming. They were the worst part of the movie, actually. I like Ben Folds, but he was certainly an odd fit here. It's like getting Elton John to write songs for Hostel. It's so not his preferred environment.

There were many laughs in the movie, but don't ask me to remember any of them. I have a crappy shortterm memory as it is, but I do remember laughing at least every few minutes. Dreamworks put together a great cast of voices and the writers dreamed up some pretty nifty scenes to put them in.

Speaking of the actors, here is a breakdown:

Bruce Willis .... RJ - A racoon and the lead character who gets the story going. The movie opens with him scrounging for food and attempting to steal from a hibernating bear, but he gets caught and is forced to promise to replenish all the lost food in a week or risk certain death. He stumbles upon a family of forest creatures whose whole lives are focused on food gathering, so it's not long before he convinces them to go for the big score: suburbia. I was reminded of David Addison several times through this movie, and I loved Moonlighting as a kid, so that's a good thing. Bruce Willis doesn't get to play funny enough lately, and those namby pamby hit man movies don't count.

Garry Shandling .... Verne - This turtle was the heart and soul of the movie. I absolutely LOVED Shandling in this role. He's the group leader who is always cautious and trying to keep everyone on plan so they don't starve and they remain safe. He of course clashes big time with Bruce Willis' character, and comedy ensues!

Steve Carell .... Hammy - The manic squirrell. He's the main comic relief of the movie, always zipping in and out freaking about something. And he loves his nuts.

Wanda Sykes .... Stella - The skunk. She was very funny, especially towards the end when she had to seduce a house cat. And don't get her angry, 'cause she'll stink bomb you to hell!

William Shatner .... Ozzie - a daddy opossum who loves to play dead with great theatrics. He doesn't have a lot to do in the movie, but he has a few good scenes.

Nick Nolte .... Vincent - the big burly bear. You only see him in the opening and closing of the film, but he does provide a credible threat.

Thomas Haden Church .... Dwayne - the exterminator from hell. The leader of the homeowner's association hires him to rid the neighborhood of vermin when RJ ends up causing a little too much trouble in his attempt to get food. Church has fun playing a guy who likes his job a little too much.

Avril Lavigne .... Heather - she plays the daughter of William Shatner's character, who wishes he had more courage and would stick up for himself more. It was pretty much a nothing role.

Eugene Levy, Catherine O'Hara and Allison Janney round out the main cast, with a few good lines here and there.

I liked this better than Shrek, but then I didn't really groove to Shrek that much, so obviously I'm not on the same wavelength as most of the known world. Still, if you have children or know of any you'd like to get to know better, you could do worse than see this movie. You should get a few laughs out of it and there is some pretty cool animation contained within.

6.5/10 stars
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Return to Animation