The Anti-Pixar League vs. The Anti-Anti-Pixar League

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Whose side are you on?

The Anti-Pixar League
25%
The Anti-Anti-Pixar League
63%
(in a whiny, girly voice) I like Dreamworks!
No votes
Why isn't [fill in the blank] on the poll?
12%

Total votes : 52

The Anti-Pixar League vs. The Anti-Anti-Pixar League

Postby Shane on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:00 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:I've gotta admit, I'm with Rogue Shaner on this one, Pixar movies don't quite click with me. It's like they read a book called, "How to make a Pixar-like movie", every time they make the next one. Toy Story was good, and I won't deny that I've seen it way too many times, but I don't think any of the rest really take off. I guess when you try and be that broad, and that family-friendly you're gonna lose some of the audience (and gain a few million more).

I agree with Shane, "Little Nemo" was probably the worst specimen. Ellen seemed quirky in the way that the sister on Roseanne was quirky, as in she acted like a bloody irritating flake. And the whole thing seemed...I can't believe I'm gonna say it, please somebody stop me before it's too late, it seemed....rather MEH.

The Incredibles was OK, but I don't see why it brought so many AICNers to geekgasm. Maybe they wanted to see a Watchmen movie so badly that they made themselves love this, seeing as how it's the closest they'll ever get to seeing one.

I agree mostly.

Toy story was neat because it was a novelty at the time.

Incredibles was better than any other one they have put out, but I put it on the same lever as the fantastic Four movie.

Now ants, Nemo, All the new jungle lion ones, |I see them all and they are not good.

This Chicken little. I really thought it was a horribly writen movie with or without the animation.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Re: Anti-Pixar League

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:04 pm

Shane wrote:Now ants, Nemo, All the new jungle lion ones, |I see them all and they are not good.

ants wasnt pixar , you thinking of a bugs life ?
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Flumm on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:06 pm

Hahahaha

Well.... each to their own is generally my standpoint on t hese kinds of things, (diplomacy - not just for hostage sitauations!), but I think it's going help your arguement Shane, if you attribute the right movies, to the right studios....

I remember you identify with old school comics, and clasic science fiction and such, perhaps it's CGI movies in general, as a genre, that you have lack of enthusiasm for, rather than Pixar inparticular?
Last edited by Flumm on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:06 pm

king_of_nowhere wrote:
Shane wrote:Now ants, Nemo, All the new jungle lion ones, |I see them all and they are not good.

ants wasnt pixar , you thinking of a bugs life ?

I get them confused. Every time Pixar does one or someone does one the competition does the same thing.

Ants-Bugs life

Shark tale-Nemo

Madagascar-the other lion one.

it goes on forever, and they release sequels to them too.

Ice age< I've never heard of it until I saw previews for ice age 2
Last edited by Shane on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:08 pm

so isnt the problem Dreamworks ?
it seems that they do alot of animated films too , just ripping pixar off
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:08 pm

Uh....Pixar didn't do a lion movie. And they didn't do the Ice Age movies.

Their feature films are:

Toy Story 1 & 2
A Bug's Life
Monsters, Inc.
Finding Nemo
The Incredibles
Cars
Last edited by The Ginger Man on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Shane on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:09 pm

Flumm wrote:Hahahaha

Well.... each to their own is generally my standpoint on t hese kinds of things, (diplomacy - not just for hostage sitauations!), but I think it's going help your arguement Shane, if you attribute the right movies, to the right studios....

I remember you identify with old school comics, and clasic science fiction and such, perhaps it's CGI movies in general, as a genre, that you a lack of enthusiasm for, rather Pixar inparticular?

yeah |I think it is just computer animated films i don'[t like.

CGI can be cool, but now it's a necessity to come out with a totally new CGI film every fewmonths and they seem more sloppy each time.

I do think that Polar Express was a good film.

I don't care for them and didn't see it for a long time because it was all CGI but it was decent, |I found myself enjoying it.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:09 pm

i will go ahead and toss my hat into this one as well. now, dont get me wrong, i loved a bugs life, toy story 1 and especially 2, and monsters inc. but i did think that finding nemo was tripe, and was shit. and although i enjoyed the incredibles, i felt it certainly was not worth close to the amount of praise it recieved. and now, i have absolutely zero interest in cars. however, i will defend pixar so far as to say that at least their movies have something going for them, as far as depth or quality of writing goes. unlike dreamworks, who continuously produce the most detestable garbage imagineable. sorry, magicmonkey. but i had to say it. :wink: :twisted:
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:10 pm

I'm not anti-Pixar, but I do wonder at all the praise that's constantly heaped their way. Just because Disney's efforts in the past decade have been sorely lacking outside of Pixar doesn't mean Pixar is great. They're just better than the competition. I'd still choose dozens of other animated films over anything Pixar has done so far.

Except for maybe The Incredibles, but I think Brad Bird had a lot to do with that.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Shane on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:12 pm

Toy Story two wasn't that bad.

I liked it more than one.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:12 pm

RogueScribner wrote:I'm not anti-Pixar, but I do wonder at all the praise that's constantly heaped their way. Just because Disney's efforts in the past decade have been sorely lacking outside of Pixar doesn't mean Pixar is great. They're just better than the competition. I'd still choose dozens of other animated films over anything Pixar has done so far.

hahaha its funny because its true.
it because disney has gone from first to worst. their animated flicks are so poor, that anything pixar did would look like a masterpiece in comparison.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:15 pm

Oh, Disney is so much worse.

They feel the need to keep with the formula of singing animals and crap scripts with rushed animation. The animation gets more and more rushed with each film.

And you can expect one every winter and summer with McDonalds to promote it.

When will they take their time to put out another quality film?
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:18 pm

I remember back in the '80s when there was all this talk about saving Walt Disney animation. They had a renaissance of sorts from the late '80s through the mid-'90s, but they lost faith in their 2D animation after Toy Story made so much money. So now all anyone makes nowadays is cg and 2D animation is dead, save for direct-to-video crap.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Pudie on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:19 pm

I think all of Pixars movies have been great, expect a Bugs Life. It has nothing to do with the fact Siney sucks now. I just genuinly enjoy their movies.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:23 pm

This thread is nuts! Quit polluting the beloved animation forum with such nonsense. "Anti Pixar"? What is there to be anti about?

2D animation isn't dead, by the way. Just wait for Chomet's next great.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:24 pm

I think part of the thing with Pixar, is that they seem to have..and how do I phrase this... a personality? A personality that people feel conencted to and identify with more than other studios?

(nope not quite right)

I think it's because they shot to fame, partly by essentially pioneering the medium, but also because in such a short space of time, they had this CGI fulled spotlight on themselves, and they used it to create characters and stories that a lot of people love. So as a concequence, not only has their name become synonnymous with CGI movies, and also, by extention, the characters themselves I suppose, but people associate them as like a seperate entity almost, from the traditional annonymity, the ambigiuity of most Hollwood studios...

I mean, they have a body of work, that reflects a particular voice, a certain type of film making, I don't think, for the general public at least, that they could identify in anyway with any other indivudal studio.

Of course, and when it's largely the field of huge budget family/kids movies, this is gonna have a momentum with it, that is really far reaching.
Last edited by Flumm on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:25 pm

I think Curse of The Wererabbit was heads and tails above all of pixars stuff, even Incredibles.

I laughed the whole time at the theatre, and the time just flew by. I loved the way it was directed to look like a horror movie in some shots, that was hysterical. Aardman always has seemed better than pixar to me. I just enjoy their humor alot more.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:27 pm

Admittedly I haven't seen most of these films in a long while, but this is how I'd break down Pixar's features films:

Toy Story - good
A Bug's Life - okay
Toy Story 2 - okay
Monsters, Inc. - meh
Finding Nemo - okay
The Incredibles - good

I have zero interest in Cars.

There isn't a single film of theirs I'd rank as "very good" or "excellent". The animation may be pretty, but storywise I've found them to be a bit lacking. I mean, they almost seem TOO thought out. There's just a certain kind of magic missing from their films, for the most part. They may be great technical and financial achievements, but will they really stand up next to Snow White, Pinocchio, Fantasia, The Little Mermaid, and Beauty and the Beast over time? Toy Story might, but I don't know about the others.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Shane on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:29 pm

My take

Toy Story - meh
A Bug's Life - horrible
Toy Story 2 - okay
Monsters, Inc. - meh
Finding Nemo - horrible
The Incredibles - good
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:31 pm

RogueScribner wrote:I remember back in the '80s when there was all this talk about saving Walt Disney animation. They had a renaissance of sorts from the late '80s through the mid-'90s, but they lost faith in their 2D animation after Toy Story made so much money. So now all anyone makes nowadays is cg and 2D animation is dead, save for direct-to-video crap.

thats why we have ralph bakshi!

ETA: you guys are out of your minds. monsters inc, and toy story 2 were the only ones that were really funny.
Last edited by Brocktune on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:32 pm

We need a cg Fritz the Cat!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Seppuku on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:35 pm

Shane wrote:I think Curse of The Wererabbit was heads and tails above all of pixars stuff, even Incredibles.

I laughed the whole time at the theatre, and the time just flew by. I loved the way it was directed to look like a horror movie in some shots, that was hysterical. Aardman always has seemed better than pixar to me. I just enjoy their humor alot more.

Yeah I agree, the Wallace and Gromit films (and Chicken Run) seem less like a result of an intense focus-meeting where a bunch of suits at a table say, "Well, we need a joke here that'll appeal to people from the age of 2-96", and more like a product of love.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Shane on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:35 pm

RogueScribner wrote:I remember back in the '80s when there was all this talk about saving Walt Disney animation. They had a renaissance of sorts from the late '80s through the mid-'90s, but they lost faith in their 2D animation after Toy Story made so much money. So now all anyone makes nowadays is cg and 2D animation is dead, save for direct-to-video crap.

Disney did a few good films then, I liked beauty and the beast, little mermaid, and Aladdin was alright, but they just started doing crap.

I think if they got out of the mold they have and started doing movies with someone who has a great vision for a film both disney and pixar would be much better off. Mitch Bird did good, now let someone else come in with something different and do it. Why not have burton come in and do a dracula cartoon, that would be fun, there are a million cool things to do and they don't.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Shane on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:36 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:
Shane wrote:I think Curse of The Wererabbit was heads and tails above all of pixars stuff, even Incredibles.

Yeah I agree, the Wallace and Gromit films (and Chicken Run) seem less like a result of an intense focus-meeting where a bunch of suits at a table say, "Well, we need a joke here that'll appeal to people from the age of 2-96", and more like a product of love.

Well said.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby LeFlambeur on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:47 pm

Shane wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:[quot e="Shane"]I think Curse of The Wererabbit was heads and tails above all of pixars stuff, even Incredibles.

Well said.[/quote]

Here here.
I don't nessicarily think that Pixar is the problem. At least they're trying. The "Shrek mold" is the problem. There arn't plots anymore, no storytelling, just strung together bits and "topical" "jokes". The Wallace and Gromit films are wonderful exercises in classical storytelling and have more cinematic literacy in one of their half hour shorts than Dreamworks has in it's whole animation library. In fact I would go so far as to say Curse of the Were Rabbit was probably one of the best films released last year. Im not kidding.
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:55 pm

RogueScribner wrote:There isn't a single film of theirs I'd rank as "very good" or "excellent". The animation may be pretty, but storywise I've found them to be a bit lacking. I mean, they almost seem TOO thought out. There's just a certain kind of magic missing from their films, for the most part. They may be great technical and financial achievements, but will they really stand up next to Snow White, Pinocchio, Fantasia, The Little Mermaid, and Beauty and the Beast over time? Toy Story might, but I don't know about the others.

With the exceptions of Fantasia and A Bug's Life respectively all of PIXAR's work has been original stories created in house where as you are comparing them to Disney adaptations of fairytales (A Bug's Life is Seven Samurai and Fantasia was completely original thus the omissions.) Try comparing them to more original non adaptations from Disney (Dumbo, Lady and the Tramp, The Three Caballeros etc) and see how they stack up. This is somewhat difficult considering almost all of their films are adaptations of famous fairytales, novels or childrens books. So if nothing else PIXAR has taken the time to write their own work.

I'm not sure where this sentiment comes from. Out of any US animation produced in the last decade or 15 years (perhaps with the exception of Iron Giant) PIXAR has produced the Best work out there today. Disney's two CG attempts have been lackluster (don't even think about Dinosaur if you can) and their tale end traditional work (Treasure Planet, Home on the Range, Atlantis) was underwhelming. Dreamworks is much more interested in topical humor and soundtracks that five years from now are nearly embarassing to watch (try watching Shrek and not shuddering at Smashmouth blaring all over the place and Matrix goofs). Blue Sky is a close second to PIXAR....Ice Age was pretty good but Robots was a complete mis-step.

PIXAR when at its best will easily be able to stand next to Disney's hallowed classics and WB's Golden Age of shorts. Assuming that their creative process is centered around test audiences and corporate "ideas" etc couldn't be more off the mark. Hell if the only two living members of Disney's original 9 Old Men want to be in your movie because your company's work is so good you must be doing something right.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Carolian on Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:47 am

I think that, personally, the only time that Pixar begins to grate is when people overblow its success to such extremes. I looooove the Toy Story movies (I'd put them up against anything Disney's done in the last thirty years), haven't seen Monsters Inc., really liked The Incredibles, and fucking absolutely hated Finding Nemo, to an insane degree. And Cars just looks so horrible--I cringe every time I see a preview for it. A Pixar movie with Larry the Cable Guy? Say it ain't so, Joe! Talk about topical humor that'll make people shudder in five years.

I guess my point is, I trust present-day Pixar a hell of a lot more than present-day Disney, but think that their reputation among fans may be artificially inflated due to a dearth of good animated films over the last ten years. Everything they touch doesn't necessarily turn to gold.
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:00 am

Carolian wrote:I guess my point is, I trust present-day Pixar a hell of a lot more than present-day Disney, but think that their reputation among fans may be artificially inflated due to a dearth of good animated films over the last ten years. Everything they touch doesn't necessarily turn to gold.

QFT
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:35 am

Brocktune wrote:ETA: you guys are out of your minds. monsters inc. and toy story 2 were the only ones that were really funny.

Seconded. I was not prepared for how funny Toy Story 2 was, and I even sorta liked the first one. The over-the-top goofiness was a really pleasant surprise; it felt like Toy Story except totally unhinged.

Monsters Inc. was alright, though I'm not sure I found it quite as funny. I haven't seen it since it first opened in theaters, so maybe I should give it another look. I will say this though: I think people tend to take that mind-blowing door sequence for granted nowadays.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:20 am

TS2 seemed like a rehash of the first one, just with different jokes.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Shane on Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:36 am

Comparing Disney animation now days to pixar is like saying,

Yes, I like shit more than the diareah, there's more to chew.

I am not an anime guy either, but |I think both disney and pixar could learn alot from some anime, some not all just seem to put more effort into the product, and they have stories.

Little |Nemo had the fucking worst story ever. Fish fets lost fish finds fish. |You know what's going to happen, you know they will not flush nemo down the toilet, so come up with something that at least doesn't make me yawn because I know the outcome.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:56 pm

I think you should leave Shane for even suggesting that PIXAR or Disney should take tips from anime. WHat are there not enough giant robots piloted by sailr suit uniformed school girls anally raped by tentacled monsters? :P
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lurker Johnson on Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:59 pm

Mmmm. Tentacle Porn.
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Shane on Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:00 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:I think you should leave Shane for even suggesting that PIXAR or Disney should take tips from anime. WHat are there not enough giant robots piloted by sailr suit uniformed school girls anally raped by tentacled monsters? :P

|I think if they used giant robots and anime monsters they would only be worse. I think I was refering to the effort and pride put into an minimal amount of anime.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:05 pm

Shane wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:I think you should leave Shane for even suggesting that PIXAR or Disney should take tips from anime. WHat are there not enough giant robots piloted by sailr suit uniformed school girls anally raped by tentacled monsters? :P

|I think if they used giant robots and anime monsters they would only be worse. I think I was refering to the effort and pride put into an minimal amount of anime.

I will honestly say Cowboy Bebop is great....I like Akira as a film as well....I found the Manga overinflated.....Otherwise I haven't seen any Anime that dosn't fall under a derivative category like Giant Mechs or School Girls with Super Powers etc....Even Evangelion which can be better than most is dragged down for me by the giant mech aspect. The limited animation styles of most anime also make me nauseous. All in all I guess I am not a big anime fan.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:09 pm

I feel sad for all you people.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:13 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:I feel sad for all you people.

Who me? I am standing up against the Anti-PIXAR league.....Perhaps I should form an Anti-Anti-PIXAR League.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:17 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:I feel sad for all you people.

Who me? I am standing up against the Anti-PIXAR league.....Perhaps I should form an Anti-Anti-PIXAR League.

Err, umm... I feel sad for you for other reasons. (Not really.)

Pixar is teh awesomness.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Fievel on Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:17 pm

I haven't seen the trailer for the next Pixar film after Cars, RATAOUILLE, but I'd love to see them jump out of their boundaries.... (ducking for cover) like anime.
Do something violent. Do something epic. Do some sci-fi or fantasy. Do something that's (gasp!) serious in tone. Do something that's rated PG-13 or higher. Something that's not so much for the kids.
That's why The Incredibles is my favorite Pixar movie so far - there were actually times where it was a little dark and serious, like Billy Dee Williams.

And for the record, Finding Nemo was the biggest waste of time I've ever invested in a Pixar film.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Shane on Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:18 pm

Roger Ebert wrote:
The movie is great to look at and a lot of fun, but somehow lacks the extra push of the other Pixar films. Maybe that's because there's less at stake here, and no child-surrogate to identify with. I wonder if the movie's primary audience, which skews young, will much care about the 1950s and its cars. Maybe they will. Of all decades, the 1950s seems to have the most staying power; like Archie and Jughead, the decade stays forever young, perhaps because that's when modern teenagers were invented.

Well, I'm sold, lacks the extra push of other pixar....

Fievel wrote:I haven't seen the trailer for the next Pixar film after Cars, RATAOUILLE, but I'd love to see them jump out of their boundaries.... (ducking for cover) like anime.
Do something violent. Do something epic. Do some sci-fi or fantasy. Do something that's (gasp!) serious in tone. Do something that's rated PG-13 or higher. Something that's not so much for the kids.
That's why The Incredibles is my favorite Pixar movie so far - there were actually times where it was a little dark and serious, like Billy Dee Williams.

And for the record, Finding Nemo was the biggest waste of time I've ever invested in a Pixar film.

I wouldn't expect violent from them, but out of their boundries would be nice.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:21 pm

So are walking talking Toys not Fantasy? Or do you just mean like Conan/LOTR type fantasy. I'm glad they don't go the violent route. They tell good stories without it no reason to just shove it in there.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:23 pm

Fievel wrote:I haven't seen the trailer for the next Pixar film after Cars, RATAOUILLE, but I'd love to see them jump out of their boundaries.... (ducking for cover) like anime.

That's like asking Disney to do a snuff film. Ain't gonna happen, and I don't really think it should.

Pixar's bread and butter is the family audience. They make films with silly jokes for the kids and smart ones for the parents. (Ask me, The Incredibles was the PERFECT blend of the two.) The fact that they're seven films in with such and incredible streak--one unmatched by any other studio or production company--is a testament to both their storytelling sensibilities and their marketing strengths.

I'm not interested at all in them branching out at this point. I don't see a reason for them to. They make modern classics, near-timeless films that I'll be proud to show my kids one day. There's no reason to rock that boat.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Shane on Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:27 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:

That's like asking Disney to do a snuff film. Ain't gonna happen, and I don't really think it should.

Pixar's bread and butter is the family audience. They make films with silly jokes for the kids and smart ones for the parents. (Ask me, The Incredibles was the PERFECT blend of the two.) The fact that they're seven films in with such and incredible streak--one unmatched by any other studio or production company--is a testament to both their storytelling sensibilities and their marketing strengths.

I'm not interested at all in them branching out at this point. I don't see a reason for them to. They make modern classics, near-timeless films that I'll be proud to show my kids one day. There's no reason to rock that boat.

I think they could do it without the lame jokes, I would like to see them do something less comedy.

Maybee use more people instead of animals (insects or fish) and inatimate objects, that could be a start.

I just don't get into watching fish, bugs and toasters hang out in a movie. I tend to associate with people more.

Maybee that's why I preffer Incredibles.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:30 pm

Maybe you should just watch different stuff instead of PIXAR rather then hoping they will change what they do...
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:40 pm

Ribbons wrote:Monsters Inc. was alright, though I'm not sure I found it quite as funny. I haven't seen it since it first opened in theaters, so maybe I should give it another look. I will say this though: I think people tend to take that mind-blowing door sequence for granted nowadays.

maybe its just me. but if im blazing up, and monsters inc is on, all i know is that mike wazowski totally cracks me up. well played by billy crystal, and the animation is hilarious too. "ill give you a ride in the car" hahahahaha. he kills me.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:43 pm

I could see Pixar making a more 'adult' (or at least PG-13) style adventure
movie, but it would probably have to be done under a different imprint;
like MW just said, they're all about the Family Audience...

That being said, y'all know Miramax is Disney, right? They own it; it's like
their 'indie' imprint where they can do ultraviolence (KILL BILL) without
losing their cred with the Family Market...

As far as Pixar's output, I loved THE INCREDIBLES, and I enjoyed NEMO
and MONSTERS... TOY STORY I never saw! *gasp*

And CARS looks like pure shit. I'm still waiting for Pixar's TOILETS, in
which various anthopamorphized toilets make their way through the
world, fight the evil power, reassert family values, and fleece the public
for all it's worth.

The primary characters -- URINAL JOE, the every-man character who is
looking for love and for some way to reassert traditional family values

URINAL CAKE, his sidekick which lives in his mouth and provides various
forms of comic relief.

BIDET, the french bum cleaner toilet device, who is URINAL JOE's love
interest, and with whom he will reassert traditional family values.
In the final scene we will see that they have children -- several training
potties...

and, last but not least:

EL PORTO! The evil portapotty who lives in the abandoned lot and who is
seeking to destablize conservative family values by being an immigrant
day laborer with very little real political power thrown up as a boogeyman
leading up to a midterm election; he will be redeemed in the final reel
by agreeing to become an indentured servant (aka 'slave') thereby
reasserting traditional family values, and keeping the status quo (read:
obscene power and wealth imbalance between teh 'have too muches' and
the 'have nothing at alls') intact...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:47 pm

Using mainly spoons, we'll dig this thread out of the forum and release it into the wild!

Honestly, a company of inutterable talent creates fresh, original movies and you lot dump on it. This thread made a small girl cry.

Don't worry, I'll release her later.

Why does part of me wish I'd not made that joke...
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:51 pm

Do people think Cars was designed solely to tap into the NASCAR market? You do know it's based off three of Lasseter's favorite MGM cartoons, right?

EDIT: Twas MGM not WB.
Last edited by Chairman Kaga on Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:54 pm

I stand with the PIXAR supporters.

I love everything they've done, I think their films are full of heart and originality and easily compare with the Disney classics.

They earned my undying respect with Toy Story 2. They got shoved into making a sequel and rather than turn out some direct to video tripe that would sour the characters and world they had created, they made a great film that was better than the original. That's dedication rather than a focus group...

Between this and my Van Helsing confession, the Zone will probably lose all respect for me, but I love Finding Nemo. It's my favorite PIXAR film. I'm a sucker for anything ocean related and I think the animation is quite beautifully done. I love the cast--Wilhem Dafoe makes the coolest angelfish ever, you have to admit, and I love Geoffery Rush in anything.

I like how simple the story is--it's just about a parent who loves their child. There's no gimmick, it's not trying to be clever or satiric, it's just a story about love and how far you'll go for it. I like that.

Plus it had SEA TURTLES in it for crying out loud!! :D Surfing sea turtles! My passion for turtles is something none of you know about--until now, but you don't know the depth of it. I nearly jumped out of my seat when they showed up on screen, with this childish "OHH!!" exclamation.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:02 pm

The Anit-Anti League is beginning to take shape.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Animation