Secret of N.I.M.H.

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Secret of N.I.M.H.

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:21 pm

This is my favorite animated movie hands down. I don't know if anybody's made a thread about this yet, but I need answers. I know this movie came out in theatres, so why in the hell can't I find a widesreeen DVD??¿ I gave up a long time ago, thinking maybe it just didn't exist anymore, but low and behold I found an .avi of the bloody thing. I don't know how this thing popped up, but maybe there's a vhs copy of it somewhere or it's been released in wide format overseas. I don't know. Does anybody aorund here know anything about how I can buy a clean, artifact free version of this movie wide screen? Amazon doesn't seem to have it in anything but full screen (wich I already own).
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Brocktune on Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:23 pm

as far as i know the only dvd is that fullscreen one.

sounds like its time to email bomb don bluth and tell him to get with the fucking program.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:34 pm

NIMH was a bomb, but it's a friggin Masterpiece. American Tail was aces as well. I'd refer to Bluth as a jerk who compromised so much that his dark yet heartfelt films slowly degenerated into boring conventional Disney rip offs (and his whole point to doing these films was to give the finger to Disney).
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:30 pm

Wow...Montalban, you bring back some memories.

I LOVED both these films--I still do--but it has been years since I saw them. I must have them!!

"An American Tail" used to reduce me to a total blubbering mess as a kid. I would hear the song on the radio and lose it all over again. Talk about a movie to play on your worst childhood fears...

Did you ever read the book The Secret of Nimh? I did, but it is a vague memory now, I only remember that was actually darker than the film if at all possible.

I used to have a thing for Nicholas the rat. :oops: I see now where I went wrong as a child.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:19 am

Lady Sheridan wrote:Wow...Montalban, you bring back some memories.

I LOVED both these films--I still do--but it has been years since I saw them. I must have them!!

"An American Tail" used to reduce me to a total blubbering mess as a kid. I would hear the song on the radio and lose it all over again. Talk about a movie to play on your worst childhood fears...

Did you ever read the book The Secret of Nimh? I did, but it is a vague memory now, I only remember that was actually darker than the film if at all possible.

I used to have a thing for Nicholas the rat. :oops: I see now where I went wrong as a child.

I hate to geek out and everything but the book is called Mrs. Brisby and the Rats of N.I.M.H. :) Sorry I will try better...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:27 am

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
I hate to geek out and everything but the book is called Mrs. Brisby and the Rats of N.I.M.H. :) Sorry I will try better...

Oh, that's right! A tip of the hat to you, Bob. I had totally forgotten.

I couldn't remember her name either...I think because my sister and I often pronounced it as Mrs. Frisbee.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Shane on Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:38 am

I've got the DVD, I think it was the first DVD I bought when I first bought a DVD player.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Lurker Johnson on Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:41 am

N.I.M.H. absolutely rocked.

When Mrs. Brisby meets the Owl.....

used to give me goosebumps as a youngin'

<i>All Dogs Go to Heaven</i> was also kinda awesome in my book (Don Bluth, with the cast of <i>Cannonball Run</i> doing the voices).
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:25 pm

I also liked The Land Before Time (first one). I checked out Wikipedia for TLBT and the girl who voiced Ducky had such a sad and wierd story about her life. But NIMH was the best.

Ive always wanted to see The Black Cauldron. But who knows if Disney will ever release the original version that hasnt been edited.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby rserocki on Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:30 pm

I saw The Secret of NIMH when it first came out. To this day, I saw that movie in the theater more times than I've seen any other movie in the theaters, and I don't know why. I especially liked the music, which literally gave me chills at certain points. Seeing the movie made me read the book, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. (Yes, Frisby.)

Lady Sheridan, are you thinking perhaps of Justin the rat? There was Nicodemus who had a long beard and glowy eyes, and there was Justin who was a... captain of the guard?

You are not the only one who had a crush on that character (no, not me, but http://www.egoworks.com/shrine/kiss.html )

I do not personally agree with the interpretation some people have of Mrs. Brisby's words to Justin. I think when she says, "How beautiful..." she really did mean the lights and wasn't trying to correct herself to avoid embarassment. Maybe I should say I don't think the writers had that in mind. Although if people prefer to think of it that way, then whatever works.
rserocki
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:22 pm

I still have yet to see this though I love Don Bluth's work (not his approach though based on some friend's experiences).
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:34 pm

rserocki wrote:I

Lady Sheridan, are you thinking perhaps of Justin the rat? There was Nicodemus who had a long beard and glowy eyes, and there was Justin who was a... captain of the guard?

You are not the only one who had a crush on that character (no, not me, but http://www.egoworks.com/shrine/kiss.html )

I do not personally agree with the interpretation some people have of Mrs. Brisby's words to Justin. I think when she says, "How beautiful..." she really did mean the lights and wasn't trying to correct herself to avoid embarassment. Maybe I should say I don't think the writers had that in mind. Although if people prefer to think of it that way, then whatever works.

It WAS Justin.

I never imagined there was such a controversy about it! I guess I'm glad not to be alone...but I grew out of my crush and haven't given much thought to Justin and Mrs. Brisby's attraction since. :P

I need to buy this movie, apparently my sister's on the hunt for it and every time she attempts to buy it at Wal-Mart it vanishes again.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby unikrunk on Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:34 pm

I will let you in on the secret; it is awesome.

But it ain't no Rock & Rule!
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:15 pm

Secret of Nimh is a classic, however I find Watership Down equally impressive.
Maui
WoWie

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:36 pm

Maui wrote:Secret of Nimh is a classic, however I find Watership Down equally impressive.

The Dino, anna the Vicar, they remember, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Fawst on Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:39 pm

Secret of N.I.M.H. was incredible. To this day, it is easily my favorite non-anime animated film. It's so disappointing to know that there isn't a widescreen edition available :( Maybe we'll get lucky and an anniversary edition will show up with all kinds of special edition features? If only...

In fourth grade, we had a book full of stories we had to read off and on, and one of them was a short story of N.I.M.H. I've never read the actual book the film was based on, but from what I understand, the short story was a prequel of sorts. It took place in a lab, and was the story that was shown in flashbacks of the experiments on the rats. Good stuff!
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:42 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
Maui wrote:Secret of Nimh is a classic, however I find Watership Down equally impressive.

There ya go, you guys have good taste! I read that book as a kid, then saw the movie, they captured everything so well, from book to big screen. That fight you describe in the "Tearjerker" thread made me cry in the theatre. A memorable scene.
Maui
WoWie

Postby The Vicar on Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:41 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

Can't forget.
Excellent work.
And Plague Dogs as well.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Fawst on Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:42 am

So to go back and answer the question that was asked when this thread was posted, you can get a widescreen edition DVD now at Best Buy. I freaked the fuck out when I saw it the other day. That and In The Mouth of Madness brand new for only 10 bucks at Newbury Comics... heheheh happy Fawst :D
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:31 am

Own it and watch it about once a year – probably the best Don Bluth movie with the exception of An American Tail.

Read the book when I was a kid; it was a little darker; The Adventures of Mrs. Frisby. Yes, you read that correctly – Her name was Frisby. All of the other elements were there as well, however in the book Jonathan Frisby plays a much larger role, as the escape from NIMH is not told in flashbacks; rather it is the beginning of the book, and Jonathan plots thier escape. In addition, the rats of NIMH are much smarter in the book, and have begun developing their own power source as they feel they are doing wrong by the farmer stealing his electricity.

Ah, but I digress. A wonderful movie, The Great Owl scene never gets old, and I think that Dom DeLuise is owned by Bluth – the man has done VO in all of the man’s movies.

/but I love me some Jeremy Crow
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vicarious on Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:34 am

Hah, this was the first and last time my dad invested money in a film. He put up $30,000 and lost it all.

I've never actually seen the film.
Eye on the TV, 'cause tragedy thrills me...
Vicarious
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:27 pm

As much as I love the Secret of NIMH I love the Land Before Time a little bit more. That film broke my little heart when I was young. Here's hoping for another Don Bluth project in the future.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Re: ‘Mrs. Frisby & The Rats Of Nimh’

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:38 am

MGM Options ‘Mrs. Frisby & The Rats Of Nimh’
Sets ‘Ice Age’s Michael Berg To Hatch Family Franchise
Mike Fleming Jr wrote:EXCLUSIVE: MGM has acquired the award winning Robert C. O’Brien children’s book Mrs. Frisby & The Rates Of Nimh, and has set Ice Age 5 scribe Michael Berg to write the script. Daniel Bobker and Ehren Kruger will produce through their Bobker/Kruger label. The film will be done as a live-action/CGI hybrid, and Berg is focusing on an origin story in which an imperiled mouse protagonist befriends a comical crew of lab rats as they turn hyper-intelligent. They escape a secret laboratory and become the great minds of vermin civilization, forced to outwit the humans hot on their tails. The hope is to create a franchise.

O’Brien’s Newbery Medal-winning novel hatched two sequels and it was previously turned into the Don Bluth-directed animated film The Secret Of Nimh, which MGM released in 1982. A subsequent attempt to relaunch the franchise happened at Paramount. MGM senior veep Cassidy Lange will oversee the project. Berg has been a writer on all five Ice Age films, the latest of which Fox releases July 15, 2016. The book was repped by RWSG and Barney Karpfinger, and Berg is repped by UTA and attorney Joe Dapello.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Secret of N.I.M.H.

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:43 am

Animation Addicts 87: The Secret of NIMH
All good things must come to a close–it’s the final film in the Rotoscopers’ Mice & Rats podcast series, Don Bluth’s debut film The Secret of NIMH.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Animation