Ultimate Avengers

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Postby DennisMM on Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:40 pm

Sorry if I was unclear. I meant standard media heroes. You probably knew that, but ... you know me, too.

A now-dead Canadian fanguy, Jim Burke (AKA T.M. Maple), once said that Alan Moore doesn't seem to believe in heroes. I, on the other hand, consider Ozymandias from Watchmen a hero. To save billions of people he did a horrible thing that seemed absolutely necessary. He will be haunted by it the rest of his life. Some said I was confusing heroism with the will to power. In the end it depends upon your definition of heroism.

Edit to Add: in reading Watchmen it is clear that much of Adrian Veidt's life followed the notion of the will to power. I do not see that in his massive act that forms the climax of the book.
Last edited by DennisMM on Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Shane on Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:42 pm

The clip looked cool. Will hank still be a wife beater though?
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby bluebottle on Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:16 pm

they're toning down the domestic violence, but there will be elements... whatever that means.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:17 pm

Bluebottle wrote:they're toning down the domestic violence, but there will be elements... whatever that means.

lame.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby bluebottle on Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:22 pm

something about how there wasn't enough time in the movie to redeem Pym since they're not covering ALL the books.

Code for, "it would have offended everyone"
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bluebottle on Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:28 pm

Newsarama Review

Pretty close to great. There is a lot to get excited about in this 72 minute DVD that goes on sale Feb. 21 for about $20. The animation is smooth, though sometimes scenes of normal people walking have that weird jerky motion. Funny how Warner Brothers cartoons from 60 years ago make walking look so easy. Bugs never herked and jerked.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:59 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Newsarama Review

Pretty close to great. There is a lot to get excited about in this 72 minute DVD that goes on sale Feb. 21 for about $20. The animation is smooth, though sometimes scenes of normal people walking have that weird jerky motion. Funny how Warner Brothers cartoons from 60 years ago make walking look so easy. Bugs never herked and jerked.

I suspect because WB cartoons from 60 years ago didn't farm out the animation to a sweatshop in Kerplakistan or some such place to increase revenues by cutting overhead.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:00 pm

Korea.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:05 pm

or Taiwan or China or India....
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:37 pm

Adam Balm wrote:
Theta wrote:I'd be more excited except that it's not only the worst comic in the Ultimate Universe, it's a heavyweight challenger for the worst comic in Marvel's current stable. I like my heroes to actually be heroes, not macho jerks, in it for the fame, or self-righteous hippies. I just don't believe a single member of that team has even a glimmer of a noble motivation.

So have you actually read the comic?

Yes, yes I have. I've actually had the misfortune to read the entire first run and I'm current with the "Ultimates 2." It's one of those car-wreck things for me. I don't want to read him turning Thor into a smug hippie, Captain America into a brainless macho jerk, and the Hulk into a cannibalistic spree killer, but I can't look away, either.

Part of the problem, for me, is I know precisely what Millar is trying to say; it's a screed against the "might-makes-right" policies of our government. The problem being Millar doesn't have a single fucking clue about how our government, let alone foreign governments, ACTUALLY OPERATES. The ending of "Ultimates 2" #9 is a fucking joke; I can buy a flying guy in spandex, but not that many governments working together in concert. Not even Superman could make that work.

Quite frankly, Warren Ellis has been here before and it's a much more interesting and better written trip.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Shane on Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:40 pm

I think if there is a good amount of profit on this, we will se a move to a higher quality in the future.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:49 pm

Adam Balm wrote:The thing about the Ultimates is that they're as much heroes as you'll find in the real world. Some like Tony and Thor and Captain America, try to do the right thing, in the way they see it. Others like Banner and Pym are out for their share of glory. Maybe in the Ultimates, like the real world, there are no heroes..but there is heroism.

Sorry, I believe that there are noble people in the world. Also, Millar's characterizations are dictated by his politics, not by some impulse towards realism.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:24 pm

Adam isn't denying nobility. He's denying the existence of the classical hero. You can be a deluded New Age guru and still be noble and a hero. I'd say Thor is noble if any of the Ultimates is. He's just mentally ill.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:25 pm

DennisMM wrote:Adam isn't denying nobility. He's denying the existence of the classical hero. You can be a deluded New Age guru and still be noble and a hero. I'd say Thor is noble if any of the Ultimates is. He's just mentally ill.

if Loki exists how the fuck can Thor be mentally ill?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:28 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:
DennisMM wrote:Adam isn't denying nobility. He's denying the existence of the classical hero. You can be a deluded New Age guru and still be noble and a hero. I'd say Thor is noble if any of the Ultimates is. He's just mentally ill.

w3rd. He's still a little "interventionist" in his own way, but he ain't teh schizo. Oh, and hopefully burl and Dino aren't reading this thread because I don't think they've read Volume 2 yet.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:37 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:

He's Thor's real life brother, who was working for the European Superhuman Initiative thingy. He's done nothing supernatural, even though he's letting the "anti-ultimates" or whatever you call them believe that he really is a Norse god.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:40 pm

Y'know, I picked up the first Ultimates trade and I really dug it, but it felt a bit like I was missing something. Was there a miniseries or something before it that dealt with the Hulk's first rampage? Was there an Ultimate Hulk?
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DennisMM on Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:40 pm

Even without Adam's reasoning, Millar can make it work. Assuming the existence of supernatural beings in the Ultimate Universe, Loki can be a Norse god and Thor just a guy with a power suit. Loki furthers Thor's delusion, making him less credible.
DennisMM

Postby DennisMM on Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:43 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Y'know, I picked up the first Ultimates trade and I really dug it, but it felt a bit like I was missing something. Was there a miniseries or something before it that dealt with the Hulk's first rampage? Was there an Ultimate Hulk?

It was in Ultimate Marvel Team-UP 2&3.
DennisMM

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:44 pm

DennisMM wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:Y'know, I picked up the first Ultimates trade and I really dug it, but it felt a bit like I was missing something. Was there a miniseries or something before it that dealt with the Hulk's first rampage? Was there an Ultimate Hulk?

It was in Ultimate Marvel Team-UP 2&3.

Gotcha. I'll have to check it out.

For some reason, I always avoid "Team Up" books. They seem silly.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:45 pm

don't give me that malarkey.

How did Thor teleport a Solar System destroying WMD out of our universe then, hmmm?

I'll tell you how, 'cuz he's a fuckin' THOR, the Norse god of thunder. He is a son of Odin and Jord, and one of the most powerful gods. He is married to Sif.

Millar has left it up in the air so far, so don't any of you tell me he's one thing when it hasn't been declared yet.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:34 pm

I'm not saying he's one thing. I'm saying it's possible. And gods can go crazy, too. I've seen it in Marvel comics.
DennisMM

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:48 pm

DennisMM wrote:I'm not saying he's one thing. I'm saying it's possible. And gods can go crazy, too. I've seen it in Marvel comics.

hey, I've seen The Gods Must Be Crazy, but how can he be crazy if he is Thor? That would be a nice twist, he's crazy, so he has no powers (taken away by Odin 'cuz he went mental); but then he gets the powers anyway through the device, but he still hasn't been cured of his dementia, so he's still Thor, but he's also a loon...or something like that.

and Whedon, the Ultimates Trades get better as you go along. I wasn't sold on the first, liked the second a lot more and the third, Ultimates Vol 2 pwns the very fiber of my being.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:14 am

Okay douche bags... this has strayed into comic spoiler territory. Sheesh. Put a warning next time.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Theta on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:35 am

Adam Balm wrote:
keepcoolbutcare wrote:

He's Thor's real life brother, who was working for the European Superhuman Initiative thingy. He's done nothing supernatural, even though he's letting the "anti-ultimates" or whatever you call them believe that he really is a Norse god.

Um, actually, either Thor and Loki are the real deal or they're both nuttier than Paydays, because there was that whole sequence where Loki does the "ha ha I'm a supervillain and I taunt you in your cell" thing. Turns into a snake, remember?
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:37 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Okay douche bags... this has strayed into comic spoiler territory. Sheesh. Put a warning next time.

Trust me, Millar isn't so slick you won't figure out what's going on well ahead of time.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:47 am

DennisMM wrote:Sorry if I was unclear. I meant standard media heroes. You probably knew that, but ... you know me, too.

A now-dead Canadian fanguy, Jim Burke (AKA T.M. Maple), once said that Alan Moore doesn't seem to believe in heroes. I, on the other hand, consider Ozymandias from Watchmen a hero. To save billions of people he did a horrible thing that seemed absolutely necessary. He will be haunted by it the rest of his life. Some said I was confusing heroism with the will to power. In the end it depends upon your definition of heroism.

Edit to Add: in reading Watchmen it is clear that much of Adrian Veidt's life followed the notion of the will to power. I do not see that in his massive act that forms the climax of the book.

Ah, but that's the rub in "Watchmen." The entire book is, on one level, about whether the ends justify the means. Moore never answers the question, although he does offer you quite a bit to chew on.

The difference is Moore believes in nobility. With the distinct exception of the Comedian (who was made a monster for a reason, I'd note), all of the characters are noble in some way. They are heroes not because of mental illness or because they have a lot of money or because of a freak accident but because of who they are. Even Dr. Manhattan, who is more aware of the uncertainty of his fate than anyone, and who could easily choose to stay on Mars, changes his mind.

Millar reliably goes for the cheap shock...every...single...time. It can impress people but frankly, I'm not easily shocked and he doesn't have the skills to give his work any depth beyond that.

I should bother to praise the guy; he did an amazing job with "Ultimate X-Men" on his run. It was excellent and I own the entire thing.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Chief Redcock on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:52 am

Captain America is da bomb diggity yo.

That is all.
Chief Redcock
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:59 am

Theta wrote:Um, actually, either Thor and Loki are the real deal or they're both nuttier than Paydays, because there was that whole sequence where Loki does the "ha ha I'm a supervillain and I taunt you in your cell" thing. Turns into a snake, remember?

And that could never be imagined by a crazy person.

Kinda like that whole scene in Ultimates 2.1 at the Terrace in the Sky restaurant where he meets fellow Norse God Volstagg, who no one else can see but him...

nube
Last edited by Adam Balm on Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:13 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Okay douche bags... this has strayed into comic spoiler territory. Sheesh. Put a warning next time.

fuck you and read the thing, oh Hardback boy...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:14 am

No shit. I even put it online for him the other day and he still hasn't read it. Fuck you Burl for dragging ass.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:21 am

and I just wanna say that those are Theta's arguments, not endorsed by me in any way...

I know Millar's being all coy about it, but if Thor SPOILERS FOR THE COCKFAGS WHO HAVEN'T READ THIS is just delusional I'm not gonna be happy...c'mon, he's Thor! Don't punk out on me like that Millar, not now, not after you've re-affirmed my faith in most things Marvel.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:30 am

I have a feeling Millar will just leave it an open question, for readers to decide. I like the mystery anyway...
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:13 pm

They just showed several commericals for this DVD during the
Simpsons / Family Guy / American Dad triumverate...

So, is it any good? I'm curious.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:41 pm

She streets a tomorrow, eh? Iffa any of a you putzes have a the review, post it here, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby The Garbage Man on Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:45 am

Look at Dino with the hip lingo. You've been spending too much time around us young putzes, my good man.

On topic: I know I'll be buying it ASAP, but I'll almost certainly have no time to watch it until Wednesday night at the earliest. :(
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:56 am

The Garbage Man wrote:Look at Dino with the hip lingo. You've been spending too much time around us young putzes, my good man.

Hehehe... the old dog, he can a still a learn a the few new tricks, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby buster00 on Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:10 am

THOR: "Seriously. I was fighting the Midgard Serpent."

He's Thor. THE Thor. Gotta be. And he's just gonna beat the living shit out of his evil half brother. It will be very satisfying.

Can't wait to see how well the movie turned out, but issue #10 is what's REALLY got me holding my breath.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:22 am

I am also excited for this movie. I want Marvel to kick out some quality cartoons here!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:10 am

I have a some a hopes a for this a one too, eh? Something about a the nature of a the direct-a-to-DVD, she appeals a to a the Dino, eh?

But inna terms of a the "quality cartoons," as a you say? The Jury, she's a still out onna this a one. The character designs, they look a like a they right outta the "Pryde of a the X-Men" pilot from a the 20 years ago, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:52 pm

Anything that has the Captain in his glory, I'm down. I'll pick it up tomorrow if it's a good price, otherwise I'll rent it at Hollywood.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby snapcase on Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:51 pm

Just watched the film and I must say it was pretty ok. The story was a bit backgroundheavy but since its the first in a series it can be forgiven. The animation is a bit sloppy in some parts buy in overall it works. The CGI blends quite well with the 2D. The big showdown at the end had me smiling all the way. Great scenes with the hulk there. In all I think this was pretty good and I would welcome more of these.
snapcase
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby The Garbage Man on Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:23 am

ONeillSG1 wrote:Anything that has the Captain in his glory, I'm down. I'll pick it up tomorrow if it's a good price, otherwise I'll rent it at Hollywood.

I bought my copy (with mini-comic) at Walmart for $13, which was one of the lowest release date prices I've ever seen.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:35 am

superhero has posted a review in the AICN Comics section on the main site.

He is less than charitable.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:42 am

buster00 wrote:superhero has posted a review in the AICN Comics section on the main site.

I'm lazy...link?
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby buster00 on Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:45 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
buster00 wrote:superhero has posted a review in the AICN Comics section on the main site.

I'm lazy...link?

HA! I'm computer illiterate! You're asking the wrong guy...

How about, "up in the left hand corner where it says 'HOME,' then down a few topics to 'AICN COMICS!'"

I wish I could be more helpful.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Garbage Man on Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:17 pm

The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:21 pm

What the fuck does 'down the pike' mean?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:27 pm

Adam Balm wrote:What the fuck does 'down the pike' mean?

To “come down the pikeâ€
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby The Garbage Man on Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:27 pm

Adam Balm wrote:What the fuck does 'down the pike' mean?

A pike is another term for a highway, so it's like something's coming down the street.

Either that or...

:shock:
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

PreviousNext

Return to Animation