Ultimate Avengers

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:29 pm

I like your answer better
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:30 pm

It's not that I was expecting a literal translation of the story in THE ULTIMATES but I was expecting something a little more complex than your regular superhero antics. What we end up getting here is not even ULTIMATES-lite. The whole story of THE ULTIMATES has been taken to its most basic, bottom of the barrel superhero 'toon level. Yes, there are aliens. Yes we have Captain America, S.H.I.E.L.D., and the whole ULTIMATES gang but the stuff that made the book unique is completely missing. Gone is the scope of the original story. The "widescreen" effect that THE ULTIMATES gave Marvel superhero comics has been stuffed right back into its square shaped TV box. There's no humor here, no wit. Hell, there's not even a sense of danger. The story is distilled almost beyond even being recognizable as THE ULTIMATES, which leads me to ask why did they even bother basing it on THE ULTIMATES in the first place? Why not just make a straight up AVENGERS cartoon? But I'm guessing that's why they called it ULTIMATE AVENGERS because that's what it comes across as: an average AVENGERS story. Sure, there are elements of THE ULTIMATES in there but it's been reduced to being what THE ULTIMATES as a superhero book was trying to expand upon. All the "Holy Cow" moments are gone. All of the characterization has been made two-dimensional. For anyone who loved THE ULTIMATES for what it was I'd be surprised if they were actually impressed with what this movie turned out to be. God help any comic retailer who gets a kid requesting to read THE ULTIMATES after seeing this. Hopefully they'll be able to avoid the wrath of said kid's parent when he comes down to ream them out for selling the tyke an adult themed book.

Pretty much what I predicted/expected. And for anyone who tries to pull that 'It's just a direct-to-DVD cartoon movie, what were you expecting?'...I only expect what the filmmakers promise.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Garbage Man on Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:41 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:I like your answer better

Thanks. I only wish I could say it was the nerdiest joke I've made here...
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:45 pm

I swear, in my 12 years on this planet I've never heard a street referred to as a pike....
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:46 pm

Adam Balm wrote:
It's not that I was expecting a literal translation of the story in THE ULTIMATES but I was expecting something a little more complex than your regular superhero antics. What we end up getting here is not even ULTIMATES-lite. The whole story of THE ULTIMATES has been taken to its most basic, bottom of the barrel superhero 'toon level. Yes, there are aliens. Yes we have Captain America, S.H.I.E.L.D., and the whole ULTIMATES gang but the stuff that made the book unique is completely missing. Gone is the scope of the original story. The "widescreen" effect that THE ULTIMATES gave Marvel superhero comics has been stuffed right back into its square shaped TV box. There's no humor here, no wit. Hell, there's not even a sense of danger. The story is distilled almost beyond even being recognizable as THE ULTIMATES, which leads me to ask why did they even bother basing it on THE ULTIMATES in the first place? Why not just make a straight up AVENGERS cartoon? But I'm guessing that's why they called it ULTIMATE AVENGERS because that's what it comes across as: an average AVENGERS story. Sure, there are elements of THE ULTIMATES in there but it's been reduced to being what THE ULTIMATES as a superhero book was trying to expand upon. All the "Holy Cow" moments are gone. All of the characterization has been made two-dimensional. For anyone who loved THE ULTIMATES for what it was I'd be surprised if they were actually impressed with what this movie turned out to be. God help any comic retailer who gets a kid requesting to read THE ULTIMATES after seeing this. Hopefully they'll be able to avoid the wrath of said kid's parent when he comes down to ream them out for selling the tyke an adult themed book.

Pretty much what I predicted/expected. And for anyone who tries to pull that 'It's just a direct-to-DVD cartoon movie, what were you expecting?'...I only expect what the filmmakers promise.

That is what I expected as well. It is really too bad. Coulda been a lot of fun.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:47 pm

Adam Balm wrote:I swear, in my 12 years on this planet I've never heard a street referred to as a pike....

Well, I guess we are going to have to ride you out on a rail then.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby DennisMM on Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:48 pm

come down the pike = come along

not a street, but a highway.

it's old. I'm old.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:54 pm

Damnit Marvel get WB on the job doing an animated Marvel show...
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:14 am

Well, I gonna to say, the artwork, she was a the big disappointment, eh?

The review onna the AICN, I think a she was a right onna the money...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby unikrunk on Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:04 pm

I went into it having not read the comics - so I had very little expectation (thankfully) of it in general.

overall - meh - seems like it should have been on jetix. I take it the books were targeted at a mature audience; the DVD did not seem to take the same approach.

/the sound was good. So, there's that...
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Some dvd spoilers

Postby JackKnight on Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:01 pm

I was thoroughly unimpressed. The whole "group of loners who pull together as a team" blah! Several points of irritation:

<spoiler warning>
* Hank only gets on the team at Jan's request
* The quick reveal of the Chitauri, not to mention making them like every stock group of alien invaders to come down the pike ;-) (that was for you Adam Balm)
* Betty Ross in general
* Thor's turnaround at the end. Not to mention his affection for Cap on first meeting him
* No scene of Cap Kicking Banner in the face
* No Steve Buscemi as Banner

<end spoilers>

I did like the characterization of Iron Man.

I agree that this was Ultimates-Lite-Lite. If it was a soft drink...it would have tasted like the water left in your glass after the ice in your drink melts.

Hoping the series picks up some tension in the next movie.
Give me ambiguity or give me ... something else
JackKnight
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Re: Some dvd spoilers

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:38 pm

JackKnight wrote:* The quick reveal of the Chitauri, not to mention making them like every stock group of alien invaders to come down the pike

I gonna to agree with a you onna this a one, eh? I was a thoroughly disappointed inna the design of a the aliens, no? My guess is a that a they did it for a the merchandising reasons, eh?

JackKnight wrote:* No scene of Cap Kicking Banner in the face
* No Steve Buscemi as Banner

I always a thought a the cheap shot by a the Cap, she was a fairly brutal inna the depiction of a the book... I think a they took it out for a those a reasons, considering the probably audience of a the bambinos, no? The Marvel, they want it a the both a ways, no? Mature themes but a the toys for a the kiddies, eh?

As a far as a the Steve Buscemi... Unna'til I saw the credits, I would have a sworn that a the Banner's voice was a the Fisher Stevens, eh? But no...
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby JackKnight on Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:21 pm

I'm with you Dino, I was convinced that it was Fisher Stevens, but then I saw the credits.

At risk of an arguement, I will say that I was glad that we weren't subjected to the whole "This A doesn't stand for France" line. I agree that kicking Banner in the face would have been fairly hard core, but it felt so right in the comic after everything the Ults had to do to bring the Hulk down.

Another disappointment (not really) was Wasp giving Hulk a "Mardi Gras Special" as Nick Fury would call it. Still it would have been funny to see it in there. Maybe in the unrated director's cut? ;-) And thank my good and fluffy lord that the whole Freddie Prinze Jr storyline was cut out of the Hulk arc.
Give me ambiguity or give me ... something else
JackKnight
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby The Garbage Man on Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:52 pm

Well, if I must be the lone voice of dissension...

I liked it. A lot.

Sure there were problems - some of the voicework, the length of the movie, the toned-down violence and language, etc. - but I knew about them beforehand and was prepared to accept them. Sure, it could've been better had they had a bigger budget and stuck closer to the comics (either universe), but they didn't.

Overall, I'd call it a solid first effort and I look forward to the next one.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Coldfire24 on Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:38 pm

OK people I need a straight answer is this thing worth my 20?
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:57 pm

Coldfire24 wrote:OK people I need a straight answer is this thing worth my 20?

Hmmm... prolly not, eh? But isurely, she's a worth a your $13 at a the Wal-Mart, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Coldfire24 on Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:00 pm

OOhhhzaaa. Walmart man awesome. Yep i'll get it. I love you dino.
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:19 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:Well, if I must be the lone voice of dissension...

I liked it. A lot.

Sure there were problems - some of the voicework, the length of the movie, the toned-down violence and language, etc. - but I knew about them beforehand and was prepared to accept them. Sure, it could've been better had they had a bigger budget and stuck closer to the comics (either universe), but they didn't.

Overall, I'd call it a solid first effort and I look forward to the next one.

I agree with you, Garbage Man. It's something to build upon.

It should have been longer and the build up to the Hulk was forced. I could have seen that storyline maybe bridge into the next film.

But I really dug Iron Man. He's the Bruce Wayne of Marvel.

I really dug Black Widow and Fury's involvement in the fights. It lent it a more non-superhero element to the action and, despite the fact you knew they weren't going to die, there was always some glimmer or slight chance they might get caught in the super-hero crossfire.

One thing: Was it just me or did the whole film feel like the pilot of Justice League? Go back and watch it and then re-watch UA.

It had that feel to it. Don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby ONeillSG1 on Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:20 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

Hmmm... prolly not, eh? But isurely, she's a worth a your $13 at a the Wal-Mart, no?

I got it for $9.99, after rebate of course.

Well, I guess then it's not 9.99 but it will be in 4-6 weeks.

It's like getting a paycheck you forgot about but are welcome to. Yippee.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby The Garbage Man on Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:38 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

My thoughts exactly...

Only without the Italian accent.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby The Garbage Man on Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:46 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:It should have been longer and the build up to the Hulk was forced. I could have seen that storyline maybe bridge into the next film.

But I really dug Iron Man. He's the Bruce Wayne of Marvel.

I really dug Black Widow and Fury's involvement in the fights. It lent it a more non-superhero element to the action and, despite the fact you knew they weren't going to die, there was always some glimmer or slight chance they might get caught in the super-hero crossfire.

Exactly. I would've like it better had they fought Hulk first, then had the alien threat, and were forced to use him to defeat the aliens. In other words, more like the comics (except without the "Hulk not Dumbledore!" part). I wish Hawkeye had been in it, too.

ONeillSG1 wrote:One thing: Was it just me or did the whole film feel like the pilot of Justice League? Go back and watch it and then re-watch UA.

It had that feel to it. Don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Wow, now that you mention it, yeah it did. I'd say it's good in that JL was a great show, but bad in that the Ultimates should be less... I don't know, fantastical I suppose.

ONeillSG1 wrote:I got it for $9.99, after rebate of course.

That's a great deal, what store was this?
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:47 am

The Garbage Man wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:I got it for $9.99, after rebate of course.

That's a great deal, what store was this?

F.Y.E!
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby The Garbage Man on Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:52 am

ONeillSG1 wrote:F.Y.E!

Fresh Young Echidnas?
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Ultimate Avengers 2

Postby buster00 on Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:01 pm

Ultimate Avengers 2 drops on DVD August 8th.

Here's the official website, for what it's worth.

Somebody wanna tell me when DC's Wildcat joined The Ultimates?

What? That's supposed to be Black Panther?

Well, tell the person who decided to draw him like Wildcat that he's a goddamn idiot. This had better not be how Black Panther is gonna look in the book. Jesus, that costume's gotta be actionable at best.

I was pretty underwhelmed by the first DVD. Any thoughts on the sequel?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Ultimate Avengers 2

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:06 pm

buster00 wrote:I was pretty underwhelmed by the first DVD. Any thoughts on the sequel?

the best part of the first was Hitch's drawings at the end.

since this isn't based on anything from the Millar / Hitch version, what's there to look foward to?

sure, I'll rent it.

might even enjoy it what with my expectations running so low...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:09 am

I'll get it, I hope it is alright.

What is the story from? Why did they go this direction instead of following the Ultimates more?
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:46 am

Shane wrote:I'll get it, I hope it is alright.

What is the story from? Why did they go this direction instead of following the Ultimates more?

As far as I can tell, the filmmakers came up with this story from whole cloth. As to why, that's anyone's guess.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby zombieslayer on Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:05 am

yeah, the the first was decent because they followed the awesome book, even if they watered it down for the kids... why black panther instead of ultimates 2? Why can't marvel studios buy Bruce Timm?!
zombieslayer
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby The Garbage Man on Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:18 pm

They screened the movie in its entirety at SDCC.

My take on it is basically: If you liked the first one, you'll probably like the sequel; and if you hated the first one, er... sorry?

I found myself liking Ultimate Avengers 2 slightly more simply for the fact that it wasn't based on a great story that had been completely fucked over.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:59 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:I found myself liking Ultimate Avengers 2 slightly more simply for the fact that it wasn't based on a great story that had been completely fucked over.

Ya got a point there. I'll check it out sooner or later; I suppose I can go in with that mindset.

We were led to believe that the last one would be slam bang PG-13 action! Theatrical quality animation!! The Second Coming of Christ!!! Instead, it reminded me of any average episode of "G.I. Joe."
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Ultimate Avengers 2

Postby ONeillSG1 on Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:01 am

buster00 wrote:Ultimate Avengers 2 drops on DVD August 8th.
I was pretty underwhelmed by the first DVD. Any thoughts on the sequel?

While the story could have been MUCH BETTER, I loved seeing an animated Captain America and a pissy Iron Man running around.

I think I might pick it up just to complete the set. Ultimate Iron Man will be the determining factor.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby wheredidigo111 on Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:04 am

Looks good.
wheredidigo111
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:17 am

meh to the max. I caught the first on Cartoon Netwrok and was unimpressed. Marvel's animation has neever been all that interesting.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Previous

Return to Animation