Monster House

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Monster House

Postby John-Locke on Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:01 pm

Not been keeping up with this one much, I'm downloading the trailer as I type but I thought I'd let you all now that the trailer has gone live over at Apple along with a shitload of other less mainstream titles.

Click Here for the Monster House Trailer
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby John-Locke on Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:03 pm

KICK ASS!
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby brendonconnelly on Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:18 pm

Monster House, from the chaps what brung you THIS.

That link is "going to knock you back onto your coal mining asses".
brendonconnelly
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby colonel_lugz on Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:24 pm

looks fun
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:37 pm

Why's this not in Animation? ;)

Looks... uh...

Well, just...

Um.

Looks good. But...

Entering uncanny valley territory and the mocap REALLY works against it. Has the same looseness Polar Express suffered from - wasn't suprised to see Zemekis in the credits.

edit - I was gonna post the link at Animation Nation (home of a ton of Disney types) but they Got there first. Pretty much with the same comments as I.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:15 pm

"Ohhhh, so it's a girl house."

"What?"

I know I probably shouldn't laugh at that, but I did. The delivery was priceless.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:19 pm

No, it was the best thing in it! I laughed to. So obvious but unexpected.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:26 pm

The animation might not be spectacularly good but the story itself looks way better than average for a kids film, I suspect it will treat the kids in the audience with the same level of respect that films like The Goonies, Back to the Future etc. did back in the day for us lot.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Ribbons on Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:35 pm

The eyes still have that sort of glazed-over look that the ones in The Polar Express had. It suits a couple of characters, like that babysitter, and when the eyes get really animated in order to express fear it's not quite so noticeable, but it does seem to still be there.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:35 pm

That's what gets me. It's not really animation. It's performance capture. The art is there in the style and backgrounds, but it sure is creepy and lacks the snap of something hand-made.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:17 pm

Dear God, I want to see this so badly.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:12 pm

Nordling wrote:Dear God, I want to see this so badly.

Nordling in the tb's wrote:Gonna have to work... grumble... let me see what I can do to get off...

Prayer, the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Hope you get to go to the Austin screening, sounds like it'll be fun...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby SilentBobX on Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:20 pm

I would love to see Monster House as well. To be in attendance at BNAT would be incredible. A true celebration of film fandom I'd KILL to attend. Now all I need is someone to eliminate in order for that to happen.

Also, I like the pic of Lex Luthor blowing the Hollow Man. Looks like the NC17 version of the sequel.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby dislexsickNik on Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:48 pm

I Loved the Polar Express and when i heard about this i was excited but i was looking for somthing different and indeed this is totally different but still an absolute treat and im not a fan of most of the pixar and the dreamworks cg movies.

The characters Kind of reminded me of that okd playstation game Heart Of Darkness but alot better animated of course i dunno why it reminded me of that as i havent played that game in years but it popped str8 into my head

This has got a real eightes Family Fantasy adventure feel to it which got me hooked into it right from the start.

For a Kids Movie it has got a few Creepy bits which is great cos they just dont seem to make kids movies like this anymore

The animation is really nice
and it's got some great characters

The House Itself Reminded Me of a cross betwwen the Physco House and the Klopek House from the Burbs but then how different can any scary movie house look.

The voice work was Pretty Impressive.
dislexsickNik
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:02 pm

Whoa! Punctuation, dude!

But I appreciate your review. I've been looking forward to this movie ever since that second trailer and I'm glad it's picking up good buzz.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby dislexsickNik on Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:07 pm

Punctuation is bad same with spelling hence the name dislexsick
dislexsickNik
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby raasnio on Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:13 pm

I saw this today. No real thoughts on it other than it was very flat. Well, it felt flat to me. I can't say that I enjoyed it and probably would have been comfortable walking out and getting my money back but I didn't see it alone. Of course she didn't seem too impressed with it either.

I'd give Monster House a 3/10. I do enjoy animation, though the last one I enjoyed was Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit. Now that was top-notch.
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:36 am

Sorry to hear you didn't like the movie. Don't know if I'm gonna be seeing this one, but I can't for at least a week and I'm going to try to catch Lady in the Water before it flounders (rimshot!), so I hope this one has legs. Thankfully it's a kids' movie, and those things usually have legs.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby The Vicar on Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:45 am

Pirates 34 Million
Monster House 23 Million
Lady in the Water 18.2 Million
Clerks 2 9.6 Million

I thought Monster House's numbers would be higher. Lady is about where I figured. Not too shabby for Clerks.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Vegeta on Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:37 pm

I caught "Monster House" this afternoon and found to be a quality children's film. The animation was pretty good, but I am still not sold on this version of motion capture, since alot of the charcters looked more creepy/weird than anything else. The animtion on the House was definetly the star of the film and the best part. When the House takes the trees in it's yards and uses them as legs to stalk after the children is truely awesome.

Other than that the dialouge was 'meh, a few laughs here and there and that's it. Most of the funny parts were far more visual than anything else. In a lot of ways it felt like a low rent Goonies. But for what it was, I think kid's would love it, and as an adult I can say it was entertaining, but not something I would run out and buy.

Vegeta gives Monster House 3 out of 5 punches:
ImageImageImage
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Furious Granger on Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:52 pm

Did anyone else see it in 3D? I saw this one and Chicken Little in 3D, which added to the enjoyment of the movie. They don't do anything specifically for 3D (like have things come shooting out into the audience) but it does make the movie more fun. Without it I don't think I would have liked it as much. But, for a 'kids' film, it can get rather scary.
The Chief Report
www.thechiefreport.com
Furious Granger
GLIB

Postby The Vicar on Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:05 pm

As with Cars, I loved a lot of the background rendering...the characters?
Not so much.

And was that Gollum playing Mr. Nebbercracker?
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby The Ginger Man on Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:07 pm

Film was fantastic. Really loved it. And it was Steve Buscemi playing Nebbercracker.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby tylerfulltilt on Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:35 pm

My mom tells me that when my older brother was real little he used to love being picked up and launched in the air by my dad. The sight of it used to scare the hell out of her. My dad would grab him by his little arms and he would let his legs buckle. Then my dad would hurl him into the air with all of his strength. Sometimes getting five or six feet above my dad's head. My fiancée likes to tell a story about how she would sometimes climb up on top of the monkey bars near her house and walk on them. Her mom to this day doesn't know that she used to do that. She'd probably crap herself if she knew how close my fiancée came to snapping her 6 year old neck on occasion. I bear a scar on the right hand inside of my mouth where as an infant I was learning to crawl and I crawled right over to and electrical outlet and bit the hell out of it. I don't know why as kids we're given such curiosity about the world that makes us want to go explore it, but, we also have such innocence and naïveté that could get us killed by doing so. It's even more astounding that in those instances where adults weren't there to protect us from our own stupidity that we didn't get impaled or crushed or god knows what else. But, also, in those instances were some of the most incredible times you could have as a kid.

Monster House is all of those near death experiences you had as a kid. Only this time you can just enjoy them and not worry about dying.

The movie tells the story about a group of three kids who try to kill the haunted house that sits across from them. The crotchety old man who lives there has been harassing them for stepping on his lawn for years. If any of their toys or balls land on the lawn he takes them and keeps them. The house doesn't pull any punches either. It doesn't just want to annoy or scare these little guys, it wants to literally kill them. But the kids figure out a plan to slay the giant shingled bitch anyhow and set out to leave it in ruin.

This movie really does convey such an amazing sense of danger and excitement. But it tempers that danger and excitement with a great feeling of wonder and adventure. It makes sure that the danger never becomes terrifying, only exciting. Which is a hard line to walk. The movie pulls this off while maintaining a great classic feeling. Like E.T., The Goonies, or Adventures in Babysitting, the movie has all the hallmarks of a great kids adventure. Not the watered down edutainment that passes for kids entertainment these days.

The other really cool part of this movie is that it's not being shown in digital 3D at certain theaters. If you have the chance to watch the movie like this I highly recommend it. The movie never goes for the cheap "things flying out of the screen at you" gag
tylerlizenby.wordpress.com

Wherein I attempt to say thing about movies I've seen.
tylerfulltilt
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby austenandrews on Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:28 pm

I saw it in 3D. Definitely a hoot. You're right, nice use of the format.
Gordian Algebra, my new webcomic
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Return to Animation