Afro Samurai

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Afro Samurai

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:11 pm

Preview Here (direct) (sorry, couldn't get rid of the obnoxious advert) and
Thru IGN, different formats if the first link didn't work for you.

hmmm...

Well, it looks like Samurai Champloo mashed-up with Samurai Jack ('cept now it's a black man playing a black character) with elements from hundreds of other samurai flicks and comics to boot. Story's been done over and over again, here's a quick synopsis...

AFRO SAMURAI is a five-part animated series event premiering in the U.S. on Spike TV this fall. Adapted from Takashi Okazaki's manga, the series chronicles Afro Samurai's relentless quest to avenge his father's brutal murder. Featuring music by renowned hip-hop artist The RZA and starring Academy Award-nominated actor Samuel L. Jackson as the Afro Samurai, the series is a groundbreaking fusion of American hiphop and classic samurai story.

some more tidbits...

set in a futuristic feudal society...he seeks to avenge the death of his father, who was slain before Afro's eyes when he was a boy.

don't know where they get the groundbreaking bit, Champloo might not have had "American hip-hop", but it was hip-hop (a global musical language nowadays). I'm a fan of the RZA, but it seems a tad cliche for him.

I dunno, the animation was pretty damn tight, I like the copious amounts of blood spilled, and I love Samuel L (Mr. Jackson if you're nasty) but...but...

those lines of dialogue at the end really turned me off.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lurker Johnson on Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:31 pm

Everything was cool until the talking bit.

Why couldn't it have been the bad-ass Samuel L. and not the jive-ass Samuel L.?
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Afro Samurai: Resurrection

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:11 pm

From Hero Complex: Samuel L. Jackson picks up the sword again
Geoff Boucher wrote:Next up, though, is a project that is near and dear to his heart: "Afro Samurai: Resurrection," a two-hour animated film that premieres this Sunday night on Spike TV and then hits stores as a DVD release on Feb. 3. In it, Jackson reprises his dual role as the Afro, a haunted warrior in a bleak world, and also his sidekick, the motor-mouthed Ninja Ninja.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Afro Samurai

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:30 am

I started watching this on Spike last week when they were airing it. It was actually kinda cool. I love anime, but havent kept up with it in a while besides Bleach and a few other little things, but, this, kinda cool.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Return to Animation