"Plastic Man" Pilot

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

"Plastic Man" Pilot

Postby buster00 on Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:51 am

YouTube took it down, but I found another source where you can see Warner Brothers' animated "Plastic Man" pilot.

Not bad -- obviously for kids more than anyone else. Done in a Kyle Baker style. Beats the HELL out of that unproduced Wachowski Brothers script from several years ago.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:25 am

I have to say, this cartoon was one of the most original things I have witnessed in a long time.

I would love to see a Plastic Man cartoon every week!
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby monorail77 on Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:29 pm

Lame Lame Lame Lame Lame.

I vaguely remember the old Saturday morning version, and I liked that, but I was just a stupid kid then, so who knows.

But I know I didn't like this. The action was just bad. Plastic Man is cool because he can change into stuff, but this cartoon is so stylized that the coolness of that ability gets lost with all the other highly unrealistic stuff. They're going for funny and irreverent, like Powerpuff Girls I suppose, but they fail. Not funny, not good looking. Boring. Shame.
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:37 pm

Looked more like The Ripping Friends to me than anything Tarkovsky (sp?) did.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby monorail77 on Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:41 pm

Yes, good comparison. Ripping friends isn't funny either. It and plastic man are reaching.
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:52 pm

monorail77 wrote:Lame Lame Lame Lame Lame.

I vaguely remember the old Saturday morning version, and I liked that, but I was just a stupid kid then, so who knows.

But I know I didn't like this. The action was just bad. Plastic Man is cool because he can change into stuff, but this cartoon is so stylized that the coolness of that ability gets lost with all the other highly unrealistic stuff. They're going for funny and irreverent, like Powerpuff Girls I suppose, but they fail. Not funny, not good looking. Boring. Shame.

I remember the old Ruby-Spears version too, and also liked it...but yeah, who knows how well it holds up. Haven't seen it since it went off the air in the early 80's.

I second your thoughts; I wish it could've been done with a lot more adult sensibility. Plas acts a bit too corny in this -- even considering that Plastic Man is supposed to have an off-kilter sense of humor. At least they didn't try to bring back Hula-Hula or Baby Plas.

I'd love to see 'em go back to the drawing board and try to improve on it. A Plastic Man series would be madd cool, if done properly.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:33 pm

I like it.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tfactor on Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:34 pm

From what I saw this looked like a mix between Ren & Stimpy and the amazing screw on head, but I haven't finished, got like 2 minutes into it and getting pulled away o course.

so whats the overall opinion here? and what? no poll?
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:54 pm

This bored the hell out of me. Comedic timing of the animation is way off. The voice actors are pretty boring as well. There were some jokes in here that could have been hilarious if the delivery wasn't so awkward. Maybe they'll get thier legs after a few episodes, but Probably not.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Re: "Plastic Man" Pilot

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:50 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Animation