The Simpsons

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

The Simpsons

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:15 am

Many say they aren't as funny anymore. That may be true but even so, I consider it to still be one of the funniest shows on television. Thoughts?
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby Agent Alonzo on Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:38 am

I like that your poll has two option Es...
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:18 am

I can always count on the Simpsons to give me atleast one good laugh. No that's not really enough for me to go out of my way to see it, but its still better than Yes Dear or studly Husband Hot Wife VII.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:33 am

I say - still funny, not as much as it was. At its peak, Futurama was funnier than The Simpsons IMO - they should never have canned that show
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:35 am

you can always count on the Simpsons for a larff; it's just not nearly as funny or acerbic as it used to be. still, i hope it stays on tv forever.

btw, has anyone seen any of the 1st or 2nd seasons lately? they're actaully pretty terrible. its not until like the 3rd or 4th season that it got great. once they shifted the focus from Bart to Homer it really took off.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:38 am

I'm going to go with the majority here and say that they are always good for one or two good laughs, but i don't plan my sunday nights around them anymore...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby HoodedAvenger on Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:39 am

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:you can always count on the Simpsons for a larff; it's just not nearly as funny or acerbic as it used to be. still, i hope it stays on tv forever.

btw, has anyone seen any of the 1st or 2nd seasons lately? they're actaully pretty terrible. its not until like the 3rd or 4th season that it got great. once they shifted the focus from Bart to Homer it really took off.

yeah the early stuff's been on british tv again recently I couldn't believe It was the same show
I Tire Of This
HoodedAvenger
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby thomasgaffney on Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:41 am

I used to make sure that I was planted in front of my tv on Sunday nights to catch the Simpsons. Now, I just tivo them and watch them when I get a chance.

I still find them funny, but it's just not the same. They've gone a little overboard with Homer's stories and no Troy McClure really hurts... :(
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:48 am

Zap Brannigan can fulfill your Troy McClure needs.....
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thomasgaffney on Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:50 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:Zap Brannigan can fulfill your Troy McClure needs.....

He's good. And I did like Futurama when it was on... But nothing can fulfill my Troy McClure needs.....
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:42 am

Simpsons would be fifty times better if they didn't have some lame "Spaecial Guest Star" appear every week. They don't even contribute to the funny like leonard Nimoy or Joe Namath. They also have to quit it with the hip speak. People are alot funnier when they're dorks.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby superman on Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:11 am

Did anybody catch last week's episode where they were flipping through a book of italian crimes and under plagarismo they had a picture of Peter Griffin and American Dad's dad...made me laugh out loud for a few minutes. I think for me this season has definately picked back up.
superman
GLIB

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:14 am

HoodedAvenger wrote:
ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:btw, has anyone seen any of the 1st or 2nd seasons lately? they're actaully pretty terrible. its not until like the 3rd or 4th season that it got great. once they shifted the focus from Bart to Homer it really took off.

yeah the early stuff's been on british tv again recently I couldn't believe It was the same show

As blasphemous as this may sound, I would have to agree. With the both of you.

I was Bart's age when the show started and now find myself closer to Homer's age and do agree that it's better with Homer being more of the focus. Also, I've never seen the Principle Skinner/Tamzarian episode but supposedly that's when the show jumped the proverbial shark. Ironic though that even years after the shark jump, it's easily still one of the best television shows on.

superman wrote:Did anybody catch last week's episode where they were flipping through a book of italian crimes and under plagarismo they had a picture of Peter Griffin and American Dad's dad...made me laugh out loud for a few minutes. I think for me this season has definately picked back up.

Yeah, that was funny, both their pictures being in The Italian Crime Book. Some people feel Family Guy and American Dad is light years ahead of The Simpsons but I bet the FG and AD writers and staff were thrilled to be referenced on The Simpsons.
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby superman on Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:22 am

Well FG and AD are for us grownups watching cartoons so to us "zoners" it's more appealing. I wouldn't let my nieces watch either of those shows though, the Simpsons however strike that balance and don't have super overt sexual references, which to me is funny, but not to a 5 year old.
superman
GLIB

Postby dark wesley on Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:25 am

i just think that they put so much inside 20 minutes in an episode that it becomes pointless to the extreme, look at the episode where they get frank gehry to design a cultural centre after a visit to shelbyville, then it becomes a prison, then homer tries to get a job as a guard, but then becomes a prisoner then a rat..urgh!!., my brain hurts, i htink they try to pack so much in that you wont notice the dip in quality, but you do. it stands out a mile. i mean it just becomes unwieldy and un focused to such a degree that although it will provide one or two laughs it wont be as enjoyable as earlier episodes which had a good storyline as well as stronger jokes.
futurama was a better show.
i wish my middle name was tiberius.
dark wesley
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:27 am

Are the Simpsons still funny?
Hell yeah!
So why are so many poeple complaining?
Because The Simpsons was once a show which had great gags in brillant scripts. Now they have just great gags.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby buster00 on Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:39 pm

I still get plenty of laffs per ep...but not as much as I USED to. Maybe we're all just USED to the pacing of the show, so we can predict what's coming a bit easier.

Picking nits here, but for God's sake -- USED, not use. That pisses me off almost as much as people who spell "a lot" as one word...
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby anghus on Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:37 pm

short answer: no

long answer: no, it hasn't been funny since the end of the last millenium
anghus
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Ribbons on Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:42 pm

buster00 wrote:Picking nits here, but for God's sake -- USED, not use. That pisses me off almost as much as people who spell "a lot" as one word...

I'll "used" you...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby buster00 on Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:54 pm

Ribbons, where do you get off?

Bullying around innocent Fisher Price people like that...

You're right, tho -- it's th' net. Grmr not nec.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:58 pm

buster00 wrote:Grmr not nec.

What? I can't understand you. Speak the Queen's English, you freaky putz.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby buster00 on Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:59 pm

Grammar not necessary.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:08 pm

Oh, okay. My bad.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby buster00 on Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:50 pm

Didn't there used to be a topic here? "Simpsons" or something?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DorkmanScott on Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:36 am

In a cosmic way, this thread represents The Simpsons symbolically. Starts out focused then gets sidetracked by funny but meaningless blathering. ;-)

I'm on the bandwagon. The Simpsons still has brilliant moments where I'll laugh pretty hard, but they no longer have brilliant episodes.

As for jumping the shark, though, according to jumptheshark.com, The Simpsons never has. One of the few.
DorkmanScott
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:41 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:its still better than Yes Dear or studly Husband Hot Wife VII.

That show's awesome!

gives me hope for the future.

That and the fact that Billy Joel married Christie Brinkley at one point. Gotta learn to play piano.

Sorry, ahem, back on topic. The Simpsons is not 10% as funny as it used to be, yet it is funnier than 95% of what is on TV today. Does that say something about how great it was, or how bad TV is now? I'll take a little from column A and a little from column B.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:51 am

I think the shows still funny. Maybe not as fresh or as clever as in old times but, its funny and still so classy too.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby John-Locke on Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:22 pm

The Simpsons Live Action Opening Credits

Done as a trailer for Sky One in the UK I believe
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:24 pm

Its a great clip, I think Bluebottle posted it in the Video links thread...

Really brings home the inanity of running home to watch the Simpsons... Great gag.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Eric G on Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:24 pm

Fuck yeah the Simpsons are still funny!
Homer going on a hunger strike, after 7 days his comment "Oh no...Im down to a B cup" had me IPAMPILASH'ing all over the place
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:00 pm

It can still be funny, but has lost it's consistency. Going back a few years, you could always count on every episode being brilliant. Now it's somewhat hit and miss.

I have noticed that episodes written by Ian Maxtone-Graham tend to be quite good.

I wonder if you got together the exact same writing team as the one for season 3/4/5 would the results still be great.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Iconoclastica on Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:07 pm

Great point Fried Gold . . . and that's just the thing - I don't find it any less consistent (except maybe that they're relying more on some annoying current pop references that would never have seeped their way in in the past . . . they often feel like pure product placement of the most shamelessly unfunny sort), just sometimes too stale . . . it can't be as good as it was by sheer virtue of its longevity . . . sit coms aren't meant to last this long, because the novelty that makes them hits is exactly that . . . novelty

Regardless, I love the show, and hope that it continues being made in the same way for as long as possible

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby DennisMM on Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:29 pm

At its peak The Simpsons was the funniest program seen on American TV in many years. Now it's funnier than most comedies, which isn't difficult when the competition is seven different programs about stupid, usually studly husbands/fathers and thin, pretty, much smarter wives/mothers. (American Zoners know what I mean.)

Family Guy and American Dad don't even come close, primarily because they aren't funny at all. I watched most of an episode of FG and hardly smiled. I wasn't encouraged to tune in next week. AD made FG seem funny.

Whoever said Futurama was the show that should have lasted had it right. For a couple of years it was the best show on TV.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:14 am

The last time I laughed heartily at the Simpsons was where Moe was investigating to try and clear Homer's name. And at the end, the crime is already solved, and Moe comes in and gives his run down of the facts, with all this "evidence" in a manilla folder. I thought it was well written. That was about the last time I think.

Family Guy sort of stole the Simpson's thunder. It's understandable though. You can only go so long without getting stale.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Ricky Gervais Simpsons episode

Postby franzenpancake on Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:04 pm

We can debate all that we like as to whether The Simpsons is still funny--there's already another post on it. While the past several seasons haven't matched its peak from the mid-to-late 90s, tonight's episode does feature Ricky Gervais as writer and guest.

Despite the show not living up to the high standards set in the past, it will still arguably go down as one of the funniest shows in television history.

Gervais also has one of the funniest shows under his belt, BBC's The Office.

Can the combination produce comedy gold?

How will the live action intro look on television?
franzenpancake
GLIB

Postby freak2thec0re on Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:12 pm

I'm excited. His brand of comedy seems like it would be a perfect fit with The Simpsons
"Serves you right, Cartman, you're a sell-out!"
"I'M NOT A SELL-OUT! Wait- What's a sell-out?"
"Anyone in the entertainment business who makes money, is a sell-out"
freak2thec0re
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby John-Locke on Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:29 pm

I heard that the writers were so pleased with Gervais they asked him to write more for them and they want to make his character a regular.

I have to say I think some of the new episodes have been rather good, the one where the Simpsons went to Italy and bumped into Sideshow Bob was hilarious in places, especially Bobs little bambino.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby tapehead on Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:43 pm

I've been waiting for what seems like a year for this - while a lot of people have forsaken the Simpsons for the 'toons that came after it like South Park or Family Guy, I hope it pushes on a while yet - although the My Fair Lady ep starring Willy was a recent low point not matched since the similar 'Mary Poppins' (and they haven't done a good musical ep since the monorail or something equally old) - Gervais has written a song for this ep, and has been dropping in every interview since that they want to have him back - must see
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby John-Locke on Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:35 pm

The Sherry Bobbins Episode is one of my all time favourites, the best musical numbers, Reservoir Dogs Itchy & Scratchy and the hilarious joke with the Beach Umbrella.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby tapehead on Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:41 pm

fair enough - I thought the Sherry Bobbins ep was a curious and kind of pointless attempt at 'musical parody' that I just couldn't see the point of and didn't find very funny - not that there isn't some great gags in it. For musical Simpsons numbers I can't go past 'monorail, monorail monorail!' or 'Who needs the Quick E Mart?'

You'd have to agree the Groundskeeper Willy/ My Fair Lady ep was pretty dire?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:53 pm

It was good. Alot of Office references in it.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby franzenpancake on Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:54 pm

Pretty funny IMO. I'm such a Simpsons fanatic, I have every show, either on DVD or on tape. (Yes, I know, a bit sad.) Back in the day, I watched the episode again during the week but haven't in a long time. This is going to be one I'll watch again soon.

Agreed, Gervais should write more of these. And bring back Swartzwelder, wherever he is...
franzenpancake
GLIB

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:44 pm

I honestly haven't watched the Simpsons in about 3 years. I happened to catch tonight's episode, and I found myself laughing pretty consistently. The only joke I thought fell flat was the one of Marge doing multiple takes on "I'll do it!"

It was a little surprising, and I liked it.

And GOD, that War at Home show sucks the nuts. It's boring and predictable, and Rappaport is terrible.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:10 pm

Yes, very funny episode! Gervais is a riot!

Isn't he slated to show up on the NBC version of The Office?
I think that would be great. Maybe have him meet up
with Steve Carrell at some sort of paper convention?
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:14 pm

Yeah, he and Steven Merchant said they planned on penning an ep. of the American "Office" some time down the line. Whether or not he's going to guest star, however, is yet to be determined.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Flumm on Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:20 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:Yes, very funny episode! Gervais is a riot!

Isn't he slated to show up on the NBC version of The Office?
I think that would be great. Maybe have him meet up
with Steve Carrell at some sort of paper convention?

Oh that would be something else. Whether it actually work or not I'm not sure but I think there would be a huge audience for another taste of David Brent...

The thing is though, one of the things that he has repeatedly claimed is that he felt that he left the character and the show at the right time. And it's true, the original British series, is a beautiful self contained entity. But this idea of having them meet is actually making me smile. He's a comedien after all, and that's about taking risks. I suppose another justication is that, the original would still be there too, whether this new thing works or not. A cameo is not quite the same as furthering the series...

Do we know if he's actually going to turn up as Brent?

EDIT: Ah cheers Ribbons. My brain was going faster than my fingers could type with the possibilitiy of this thing happening... I was in some serious comedy conflict there for a moment. :roll:
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:18 am

Funniest episode in quite a while! Solid laffs.

My girlfriend and I couldn't guess who the Brit voice was -- she thought maybe Tim Curry, doing a character -- until the end credits. We don't get a lot of Gervais exposure in the States. His "Di" song was tits! I hope they do get him to write more episodes.

What did alla y'all think of the live action opening credits? I thought it was just kinda "meh," to use the stock line. But then, at least it was something different; after almost 20 years they've gotta be almost out of ideas on that side of the show.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:25 am

Pretty solid Simpsons. Seems there has been an upswing these past few weeks in quality.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bluebottle on Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:34 am

Homer giving his report on "CSI: Miami" was one of the funniest Simpson moments in years.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:56 am

This ep was okay, it had some moments. The best part was seeing that live action intro on the TV versus my computer monitor. :)
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Next

Return to Animation