Paprika

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:20 am

I keep listening to "A Drop Filled With Memories" and "Mediational Field" from the soundtrack. It makes sense that they're part of the movie because whenever I put them on I tend to fall into this sort of daydreaming-type trance.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:24 am

Ribbons wrote:I keep listening to "A Drop Filled With Memories" and "Mediational Field" from the soundtrack. It makes sense that they're part of the movie because whenever I put them on I tend to fall into this sort of daydreaming-type trance.

Were either one of those from the marching band dream sequence? Because I swear I had that stuck in my head for a good couple of days after seeing this movie.
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:33 am

Spifftacular SquirrelGirl wrote:Were either one of those from the marching band dream sequence? Because I swear I had that stuck in my head for a good couple of days after seeing this movie.

I dunno, I haven't seen the movie yet. :oops:

But they're both in the trailer; "A Drop Filled With Memories" at the beginning and "Mediational Field" at the end.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby The Garbage Man on Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:57 am

Spifftacular SquirrelGirl wrote:
Ribbons wrote:I keep listening to "A Drop Filled With Memories" and "Mediational Field" from the soundtrack. It makes sense that they're part of the movie because whenever I put them on I tend to fall into this sort of daydreaming-type trance.

Were either one of those from the marching band dream sequence? Because I swear I had that stuck in my head for a good couple of days after seeing this movie.

Nope.
"Mediational Field" is the theme used during the opening titles.
"A Drop Filled with Memories" is a (very cool) trance-y remix of "Mediational" that plays quietly in the background of the scene in which [SPOILER]Chiba rescues Tokita and realizes she loves him[/SPOILER]
The track from the marching band sequence is called "Parade" (or "Shizuku Ippai no Kioku"). I fear that it will eventually drive me insane but I can't stop listening to it. Damn you, Paprika!
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby unikrunk on Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:50 am

Wow.

I am floored by the imagery and use of animation in this film; stunned. I was driven to watch the movie a second time immediately, as my brain was overloaded with Jungian iconography and dazzling lights.

Paprika is a visual and contextual masterpiece, IMO, and is certainly in my top five favorite animated films; and it looks like it is not going anywhere soon.

No spoilers or plot points here, just know that if you have not seen this, and you enjoy animation in any capacity, you will dig the crap out of this flick. Stop what you are doing, call off work for the day, tell your boss you have ‘prickly heat on your ass’, and go pick this up. Get high, but not too high, just a gently buzz, then pop this into your DVD player, and sit back and enjoy.

It’s that easy.

9 out of 10 thumbs up on the scales of goodness.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:20 am

Heh, your review sent me off on a bizarre existential odyssey that I'm hoping you could clear up...

From here I thought "Shit, I rated Paprika pretty high, but I forget where I'd put it on my Top 10 of 2007."

So I went back to the Best of 2007 thread and thought that I placed it too low on my list (I had it at #7).

Then I scrolled down and saw the krunkster's list, and you had Paprika filed squarely under "Passable."

So like, what gives man? :)
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby unikrunk on Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:27 am

Pacino86845 wrote:Heh, your review sent me off on a bizarre existential odyssey that I'm hoping you could clear up...

From here I thought "Shit, I rated Paprika pretty high, but I forget where I'd put it on my Top 10 of 2007."

So I went back to the Best of 2007 thread and thought that I placed it too low on my list (I had it at #7).

Then I scrolled down and saw the krunkster's list, and you had Paprika filed squarely under "Passable."

I have an inkling; mayhap I have seen the film before, but was so utterly inebriated that I panned it, and promptly forgot about it, until right now.

Thanks for the sobering, Founder.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:31 am

unikrunk wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:Heh, your review sent me off on a bizarre existential odyssey that I'm hoping you could clear up...

I have an inkling; mayhap I have seen the film before, but was so utterly inebriated that I panned it, and promptly forgot about it, until right now.

Thanks for the sobering, Founder.

the initial ranking was by Unikrunk the Grey. THIS is Unikrunk the White

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby unikrunk on Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:34 am

IPAMPILASH
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:40 am

HAHA, seconded!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Re: Paprika

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:49 am

I saw this movie last week and thought it was pretty good.

I don't watch all that much anime, but it seems every time I do it involves a band of mismatched heroes getting drawn together to try and stop some vague menace which ultimately mutates into something huge that crushes Tokyo, then explodes and the characters stand around and deliver some heavy-handed preaching about not pushing science too far. Except this Miakazi dude, he's got his own vibe.

I'm not complaining, I like the original Godzilla and I get that is was a hugely influential movie in Japan and that's why so much stuff from there seems to follow its formula. I just found it funny that this Paprika movie did backflips for its first half to mess with you and defy your expectation and then ultimately got into this same formula. I still liked it.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby tapehead on Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:29 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:I saw this movie last week and thought it was pretty good.

I don't watch all that much anime, but it seems every time I do it involves a band of mismatched heroes getting drawn together to try and stop some vague menace which ultimately mutates into something huge that crushes Tokyo, then explodes and the characters stand around and deliver some heavy-handed preaching about not pushing science too far. Except this Miakazi dude, he's got his own vibe.

I'm not complaining, I like the original Godzilla and I get that is was a hugely influential movie in Japan and that's why so much stuff from there seems to follow its formula. I just found it funny that this Paprika movie did backflips for its first half to mess with you and defy your expectation and then ultimately got into this same formula. I still liked it.

I think you're onto something here Spandau, although I'd probably argue that the 'formula' has as much to do with Hiroshima and Nagasaki (the threat of devastation will do that to a culture, apparently) as it does following a precedent set by Godzilla, or brought to anime by Akira - and there's plenty of anime that doesn't end with the destruction of a large city in Japan.

Still, interesting ideas.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby tapehead on Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:22 am

今 敏

Rest In Peace.

last words
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:24 am