Paprika

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:04 pm

shite YouTube version, but it's the best I could find.

Satoshi Kon's back, with some spice!

Paprika

Twitch has Real and Windows teasers here

Yeah, I didn't understand a word either, but it looks like Kon is bringing a mindfuck of epic proportions with this one.

Twitch ('natch) also has a review up here...haven't read it 'cuz I want to remain spoiler free, but it may explain just what the hell's going on.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:20 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:shite YouTube version, but it's the best I could find.

Paprika

Wow, that looks fantastic. I still don't understand why it's alright for the Japanese to put rape and feces and other exploding bodily funtions on film, but when I do it, I'm mentally ill.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Brocktune on Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:49 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:shite YouTube version, but it's the best I could find.

Paprika

Twitch has Real and Windows teasers here

Yeah, I didn't understand a word either, but it looks like Kon is bringing a mindfuck of epic proportions with this one.

Twitch ('natch) also has a review up here...haven't read it 'cuz I want to remain spoiler free, but it may explain just what the hell's going on.

fuck do i want to see this one.

im sure it will get a theatrical release over here in like 10 years.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:26 pm

Brocktune wrote:fuck do i want to see this one.

im sure it will get a theatrical release over here in like 10 years.

heh, if it was the Weinstein run Miramax / Dimension of old I'd agree.

Sony has issued a "tentative" release date of March 2k7, whatever the fuck that means.

The reviews from Venice have been glowing, including a 5min. standing ovation.

But those fuckers hated on The Fountain, so I don't know what to think...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:57 pm

release date announced, U.S. site up 'n running, no trailer as of yet...

May 25th, 2k7.

been hearing good things, and Kon* has yet to disappoint me...

*Satoshi, not KingOfNowhere
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:01 pm

Weeelll... I've not even seen Perfect Blue and I furking LURVE Tokyo Godfathers and Millenium Actress. This looks fantastic! The storyboards on Tokyo Godfathers are astounding... got the big ol' collectors edition to boot... I can't wait...
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:07 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:The storyboards on Tokyo Godfathers are astounding... got the big ol' collectors edition to boot...

i bet.

Perfect Blue improves each time I see it. Hitchcock-nime, story didn't have to be told with animation, I don't think the script was written with anime in mind, but damn if it didn't work...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:09 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:The storyboards on Tokyo Godfathers are astounding... got the big ol' collectors edition to boot...

i bet.

Perfect Blue improves each time I see it. Hitchcock-nime, story didn't have to be told with animation, I don't think the script was written with anime in mind, but damn if it didn't work...

It's been on my must-see list for years, but it's a bit expensive to buy. Aw, fuck it, I'll see if I can obtain it and complete the "collection".

Did you see his series about that psychotic skateboy serial killer? I only saw the trails, looked interesting.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:12 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Did you see his series about that psychotic skateboy serial killer? I only saw the trails, looked interesting.

Paranoia Agent?

I liked what I saw, but even by Kon's standards it was pretty qweird...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:00 am

Already posted in Trailers 'R' Us, but I figured I'd post it here as well to pimp this thread...

KOOOOOOOON!!!! (a.k.a. Domestic Paprika Trailer)
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby colonel_lugz on Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:05 am

colonel_lugz wrote:
Peven wrote:this looks like a Zoner-type flick. looks pretty cool, even cooler if i could watch it with a buzz on.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony/paprika/trailer/

I just checked this out oand holy shit does this look cool!!!

It's stunning, watch it in HD
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:19 am

WHOA! That looked excellent.

I love the quote in the trailer about american animators playing in the kiddie sand box.

I have no idea what it is about, but I will definitely be checking this out if it comes to a theatre anywhere near me.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:27 am

HO-LEE... :shock:

Breathtaking.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:27 am

Very exciting. It was playing at the Leeds International Film Festival last year and I beleive that it got a really good reception. The visuals are breathtaking in some parts. I wasn't aware that it was HD though (is the film showing in HD or just the trailers?), thanks for the heads up Lugz.

Just so everyone knows what it's all about...

In the future, a revolutionary new psychotherapy treatment called PT has been invented. Through a device called the "DC Mini" it is able to act as a "dream detective" to view inside people's dreams and explore their unconscious thoughts. Before the government can pass a bill authorizing the use of such an advanced psychiatric technology, one of the prototypes is stolen, sending the research facility into an uproar. In the wrong hands, the potential misuse of the device could be devastating, allowing the user to completely annihilate a dreamer's personality while they are asleep. Renowned scientist, Dr. Atsuko Chiba, enters the dream world under her exotic alter-ego, code name "PAPRIKA," assisted by Detective Kogawa Toshimi,(also victim of a recurrent dream) in an attempt to discover who is behind the plot to undermine the new invention.

Then Dream and reality blend, to a point where you start asking yourself questions, à la Perfect Blue.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:02 am

saw the trailer in the Trailers thread - wrote this:

Satoshi Kon directed Perfect Blue - a brilliant psycho-mystery I rate alongside De Palma's best movies - this looks nutty as fuck, and I can't wait to see it.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:06 am

Makes a one wish for a the animated Watchmen inna'stead of alla this live-action nonsense, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:03 am

Whoa.

Beautiful.

Sounds like a great story too. Bring it on.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:40 am

WHERE WERE ALL YOU BANDWAGON JUMPING WANKERS WHEN I STARTED THIS THREAD!!?!?!?!?

:evil:
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:44 am

Waiting for Ribbons to post the trailer.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:15 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:WHERE WERE ALL YOU BANDWAGON JUMPING WANKERS WHEN I STARTED THIS THREAD!!?!?!?!?

Goddamn... I was onna the location inna the Eastern Europe filming a the goddamn Young Hannibal, eh?

Donna be a the player hater, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby buster00 on Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:46 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:WHERE WERE ALL YOU BANDWAGON JUMPING WANKERS WHEN I STARTED THIS THREAD!!?!?!?!?

I was on vacation...! For rillz!

I didn't even know there was a Paranoia Agent thread until this one got bumped. I love that show!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Logan5 on Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:58 pm

nice.
loved Perfect Blue, so I'll definitely check this one out.
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby so sorry on Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:26 pm

I have no fucking idea what I just watched, but it was pretty fucking sweet...

good find RIBBONS!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:37 pm

so sorry wrote:good find RIBBONS!

DIE POND SCUM!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:46 pm

Bwahaha. Do you mean it or are you just fucking with kcbc, because technically I "found" it on the main page...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:05 pm

Ribbons wrote:

Bwahaha. Do you mean it or are you just fucking with kcbc, because technically I "found" it on the main page...

totally fucking with kcbk :twisted:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:21 pm

Couple free mp3s from the soundtrack are available here.

Still looking for a place where I can find the song used in the trailer, which I think is called "Mediational Field."
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:00 am

Hello bandwagon, here I am, hopping on! This looks fantastic, or at least it makes for an awesome trailer!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:02 am

Hi they’re lame-o late comer...

Welcome to the party…. :D
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:04 am

Don't I still qualify as "fashionably-late," or is it too late for that as well?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:09 am

I'd say that since it's only played in Japan and film festivals your bang on time. Did you bring pie?

I'm actually attempting to get a copy as we speak... it may happen, if I can get the translation for the website to work! (it's looking doubtful :()
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:16 am

Furthering on from that I've found the press kit from Sony... it's got a longer synopsis and is an interesting read.

find him here...
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:38 am

Pacino86845 wrote:Don't I still qualify as "fashionably-late," or is it too late for that as well?

Even better: to all your friends who don't visit film websites, you're ahead of the curve! Join me in teh shamelessness...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:42 am

Ribbons wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:Don't I still qualify as "fashionably-late," or is it too late for that as well?

Even better: to all your friends who don't visit film websites, you're ahead of the curve! Join me in teh shamelessness...

Wow, both of them qualify for that!!! Yes, I can still be t3h film snob!!! PWNT!!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:47 am

ooohhh.... I just found out when the DVD is being released...

According to Catsuka the dvd and Blu-Ray releases of Paprika will be out June the 20th

Thanks to these guys for the news.

It looks as though Sony will be pushing it onto Blue-ray. Could it be the first 'new' Anime in the world to grace this format? I know that 'Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence' and 'Steamboy' are going to be on it but were they done in HD?
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:52 pm

You know what, you punks? I'm addicted to this bloody trailer, I can't... stop... watching it... over... and over...

AAARRRGGGHHH!! At this point I almost don't want to see the film, the trailer is just so friggin' awesome!

And now off to watch it again...
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby minstrel on Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:54 pm

That is one trippy trailer.

There ought to be some kind of paprika marketing board somewhere willing to use this trailer as a commercial. "Eat more paprika!"
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby MonkeyM666 on Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:32 am

Kooky...

PAPRIKA: Will make you split out of your body, turn into a monkey king and get attacked by giant yellow robots.

I'm not sure how much drive this campaign will have... it sounds more like an advert for Amsterdam mushroom shops...
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:35 pm

Anybody else see the contest posted on the main page?

Want to be the envy of all animation fans? Then enter our give-away to win a 6"x4" statuette based on Satoshi Kon's Paprika!

One of five copies will be awarded to each of the winners selected from a random drawing of e-mails sent to animecontest@gmail.com

The deadline for entries is Midnight US Eastern 4/1/07.

Paprika is the latest movie from Satoshi Kon, the anime auteur responsible for the acclaimed movies Perfect Blue , Millennium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers , and TV series Paranoia Agent. Produced at Studio Madhouse, Paprika adapts a novel from influential sci-fi writer Yasutaka Tsutsui, whose work also inspired the recent Madhouse/Mamoru Hosoda movie The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

Anime's queen of voice acting Megumi Hayashibara plays the role of Dr. Atsuko Chiba, a scientist who must contend with her own alter-ego "Paprika" in order to solve the mystery behind the thief of a device that can read a person's subconscious thoughts.

Sony Pictures Classics' North American release of the film opens May 25th in New York and June 1st in LA.

If all you have to do is send an e-mail to the aforementioned address, I figure it's worth a shot. Maybe the Zone will end up getting all five, that'd be kind of cool.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:13 am

I'll be entering as soon as I can log onto gmail!
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:48 pm

From the main page (BEWARE MILD SPOILERS):

Huntley Haverstock wrote:I was lucky enough to catch an advance screening of Satoshi Kon's "Paprika" last night in Washington D.C. I'm not a hardcore anime fan -- I like what I've seen of Hayao Miyazake's work, and I've enjoyed a few series that have run on Adult Swim in the past few years, but that's about it. But Satoshi Kon's "Paranoia Agent" is one of that handful of series to really engage me, and I've heard good things about the director's previous films, "Millennium Actress," "Perfect Blue," and "Tokyo Godfathers." So when the trailer for "Paprika" appeared online, I was psyched to see it, and when this advance screening rolled around, I jumped at the chance.

The director, humble and self-deprecatingly funny, was present to introduce the film. He invited the audience to think of it as a roller-coaster ride, rather than trying to analyze every moment. He's exactly right. Intellectually, a few aspects of the film were kind of a letdown for me. But as pure entertainment, "Paprika" is a blast -- giddy, creepy-cool, and loaded with exciting action, intriguing mystery, and marvelously imaginative imagery.

I'll do my best to avoid spoilers here. The film deals with a device that lets one person enter and affect another's dreams, and what happens when it's stolen and put to sinister use. The title heroine is a perky, insightful "dream detective" -- think Amelie meets Supergirl -- who's also the dream-world alter ego of a stuffy, uptight, emotionally repressed scientist who helped invent the dream-reading device. The interplay between these two vastly different personalities is one of the least explored -- yet most interesting -- aspects of the film. The film's supporting cast is also largely well-developed and likable, with many of the film's funniest moments arising naturally from their personalities and reactions to the increasingly strange events around them.

As the search for the dream device plays out in both the waking and dreaming worlds, we also meet a middle-aged cop troubled by painful dreams of a murder investigation that's got him stumped. How he resolves that dilemma, with and without Paprika's help, not only ties in well with the main story, but pays off beautifully on its own. For me, it was one of the most moving parts of the entire film.

"Paprika" is also first-rate eye candy, packed with dazzling imagery and playful visual wit. The superb opening sequence, in which our heroine makes nighttime Tokyo her playground, flitting from billboards to computer screens to an image on a passerby's T-shirt, is only a taste of the amazing sights to follow. (It doesn't hurt that it's accompanied by the film's shimmering, irrepressibly cheery theme music, which never quite wears out its welcome.) There are subtler visual pleasures here, too; a close-up of raindrops merging on a car window to illustrate a discussion about fusing personalities, and the way the director adds chills to an otherwise warm and funny scene by having someone's bloody hand quietly smear itself across a window in the background.

The film is full of sly in-jokes to please just about everyone. The otaku at the screening roared their approval at several references I just didn't get -- Paprika done up as the Monkey King from Chinese myth; missiles firing from a robot's chest; a hero silhouetted against a skyline at sunset, with a beautiful woman swooning in his arms. But I dug the director's spot-on nods to several classic films, including From Russia With Love and Roman Holiday, as well as a clever little homage to Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep.

As I said, if you keep your brain mostly disengaged, "Paprika" is great fun. But a few elements struck a sour note with me. The villain's way too easy to guess, for one thing, although there are a few clever and unsettling twists to that part of the story. It may also be telling that the film's title character appears nowhere on the U.S. poster. After building her up as a clever, brave, and resourceful heroine for the first half of the film, she abruptly becomes a helpless and much-abused damsel in distress for much of the second half, in need of big strong men to come and save her. (I'm a guy, but maybe I'm just watching too much Joss Whedon; a female friend who saw the film with me found all of that "totally hot.") There's also a romantic element that arrives out of left field, and seems so wildly out-of-character, and so unearned, that it feels like cheap pandering to the film's core fanboy audience.

Even with these apparent flaws, "Paprika" is just too much fun to dislike. Throughout the movie, there's a smart, subtle running theme about reconciling the dreams of childhood with the realities of adult life. The film's wistful, perfectly understated last scene ties that idea up superbly.

The film apparently gets a wider U.S. release in June. Despite its flaws, I think it'll make superb summer entertainment for anyone -- otaku or otherwise -- who likes funny, exciting, imaginative films.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Logan5 on Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:09 am

I want this movie now.
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby colonel_lugz on Tue May 01, 2007 7:28 am

Review up on the main site:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32496
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Tue May 01, 2007 10:31 am

Excellent review. This sounds like it will be fantastic. Real visionary stuff...
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri May 11, 2007 9:29 am

So has anyone else actually seen this yet? I'd love to get some impressions...
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon May 14, 2007 8:36 am

Main site is giving away signed Paprika posters!!!!!

Hopefully at least one Zoner will be getting one of these... and hopefully I will be one such Zoner.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby MonkeyM666 on Mon May 14, 2007 8:41 am

Hopefully, no one on here got the toys. Well, if they did win the toys they didn't talk about it.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon May 14, 2007 8:48 am

If I win a poster I'll post a pic of me sleeping with it, gently stroking it as it lays on my pillow.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby MonkeyM666 on Mon May 14, 2007 9:03 am

:shock:

creepy.....
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon May 14, 2007 9:11 am

If you're frightened now, you'll never guess who's in your closet... right now.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Next

Return to Animation