PONYO!! (New Miyazaki Film)

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

PONYO!! (New Miyazaki Film)

Postby Fievel on Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:14 pm

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=16777

Hayao Miyazaki has started production on his latest as-yet-untitled animated film, according to Miyazaki's Studio Ghibli.

Variety says the release is scheduled for summer 2008 -- four years after the bow of his last feature, 2004's Howl's Moving Castle, which grossed $170 million in Japan alone.

An international sales company and local distributors have yet to be announced, though Toho has handled all of Miyazaki's recent films.

Miyazaki holds the Japanese box office record for his 2001 animated Spirited Away, which scored $258 million. The film won the animated feature Oscar as well.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:15 pm

We may alread yhave a thread for this... but thanks for reminding me, regardless! :D
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:23 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:We may alread yhave a thread for this... but thanks for reminding me, regardless! :D

There was nothing in the Animation threads.... if this is a repost, then I am so, so embarassed. :oops: I don't like being a douche on Tuesdays.

I wonder how the movie (no idea of what it is!?) will stack up against his son's Earthsea movie, even though they won't be released at the same time.

Miyazaki -vs- Miyazaki!!!!!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:26 pm

Maybe I'm thinking of Earthsea, and I'M being the douche? :P

I'm sure there's room for both. Ghibli's gotta continue somehow when he (eventually) retires! He's like the animation Jay-Z.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:12 pm

Miyazaki father/son confusion is a doucheless crime.
:lol:

I dig the comparison to Jay-Z, although I don't roll my eyes when Miyazaki returns. In fact, I'm so excited that today went from being Doucheless Tuesday for me to Pantsless Tuesday.... but that's just me. :D
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Al Shut on Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:28 pm

Fievel wrote: In fact, I'm so excited that today went from being Doucheless Tuesday for me to Pantsless Tuesday.... but that's just me. :D

One doesn't rule out the other.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:37 pm

Miyazaki and Pantslessness bump!!!
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Brocktune on Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:58 pm

i always watch miyazaki pantsless.

but then again, there isnt much that i do panted.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:07 pm

I cannot inagine a scenario that would require pants...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby MiltonWaddams on Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:15 pm

What is his best film? I've seen exactly zero of them, and I'd like to start. Every artist has a piece that if you don't like it, you won't like the rest. What's Miyazaki's?
Urer yvrf Z.J.
Xvyyrq ol ungr naq vafvqr wbxrf.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON

Postby Brocktune on Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:03 am

it sort of depends on you in a way, as miyazaki has many faces.

i really liked castle of cagliostro, porco rosso, and the princess mononoke.

personally, i would start with either castle or mononoke. but lugz could be totally right.

we also have this cool miyazaki thread, where you may find some more detailed info.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:25 am

Everyone has a different fave. Mine is Kiki's Delivery Service!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:01 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Everyone has a different fave. Mine is Kiki's Delivery Service!

I tried to watch that one pantsless, but that made me feel uncomfortable.
Castle In The Sky is my favorite underrated Miyazaki film. Definately pantsless on that one.
Just the thought of another mind-raping, imagination-filled, hidden message-filled masterpiece by the master makes me dribble.
Time to put the pants back on.... kidding! Don't be ridiculous cousin Larry.

Love this quote:
[quote]Ever since Princess Mononoke there has been a semi-morbid anticipation for next new Miyazaki film, a sort of “Yes we get one more.â€
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby MonkeyM666 on Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:55 am

All I can say is hell yeah... come on two years is well worth the wait.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:11 pm

must ....see...new..miyaz..ki.now..preciousssss!
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:12 pm

Main page has an article up on Miyazaki's new film. Apparently it's called Gake no ue no Ponyo, which translates to Ponyo on a Cliff, although the English title may be changed before release.

The excellent Hayao Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli resource Nausicaa.net has reported that the master animator's next film will be "Gake no ue no Ponyo" (Ponyo On A Cliff). The project, scheduled to appear in Japanese theaters in Summer 2007 tracks the story of the Princess goldfish Ponyo who wants to become human and 5 years old boy named Sosuke. Key words of the film are "father", "mother", and "a cliff".

Old images of Hayao Miyazaki's son, Tales of Earthsea director Goro Miyazaki, were used as the model for the Sosuke character.

Watercolor and pastel-like freehand drawing will be used to capture the look of the sea and waves, which according to Studio Ghibli President Toshio Suzuki composes "70 or 80%" of the film's stage.

Persistent rumors had suggested that the Miyazaki's next film would be an adaptation of the Chinese story I Lost My Little Boy.

See here for more.

Not sure what to make of the premise... but it is Miyazaki, so I'm interested.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Flumm on Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:35 pm

I'll be interested to see the 70% to 80% underwater pastel/watercolour look, sounds like they're trying something a little new...

Also, on screen, swimming is not a million miles away from flying, which Ghibili has put on film as well as anyone, I think. For me at least.

Out of curiosty, what's the average gestation on a Ghibli film now?

I'm not sure what to expect, whenever I think of them, I see Miyazaki with hundreds of sheets of paper stewn around him in a typical Old and Crazey Genius type fashion.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:47 pm

From memory, wasn't Howl's done with that pastel look? I remember the grass and hills in that elk...

You are totally correct about Ghibili being the masters of the sky... you would imagine that all you do is add some bubbles, a blue filter and slow walking and you've got an under paradise!

Has anyone read the 'I Lost My Little Boy' book? I've found this on Wiki just then as well...

[quote]I Lost My Little Boy was reported to be Hayao Miyazaki's next, and last, film project. It would have been based upon the Chinese book "Wo Diushile Wode Xiaonanhai" (我丟失了我的å°
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sasha on Wed May 16, 2007 5:29 pm

I have seen Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke, and I think Spirited Away has the best storyline. Some of the characters are very memorable (and cute)!

Can't wait to see Miyazaki's next project to be released. :D
"What power would hell have if those imprisoned here would not be able to dream of heaven?"

Dream to Lucifer and the citizens of Hell, in Preludes and Nocturnes.
sasha
GLIB

Postby LeFlambeur on Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:27 pm

There is an official site for Miyazaki's new film, but unfortunatly its in Japanese. It does have this new picture though:

LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Ribbons on Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:29 pm

LeFlambeur wrote:There is an official site for Miyazaki's new film, but unfortunatly its in Japanese.

Ha cha!

Thankfully the animeniacs at Ghibli World translated much of the press conference into English.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:22 am

Good work Babs and Ribs! I was hoping it would have been the "I have lost my little boy" tale that Monkey was talking about tho. Altho, this looks awesome too, I much prefer his simpler, intimate works, here's hoping this is one of those too!
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Re: New Miyazaki Film!

Postby LeFlambeur on Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:44 pm

As expected it looks like they're scaling things back a bit, which is fine. Miyazaki's best film was the relatively modest My Neighbor Totoro, so his switching from the more epic modes he has been taking lately could be refreshing.
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:16 am

A new youtube link!

Ponyo ponyo.. lalalalala
Last edited by Evil Hobbit on Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:31 am

Ummmm that's not a YouTube link?
:mrgreen:
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:58 am

Fievel wrote:Ummmm that's not a YouTube link?
:mrgreen:

:mrgreen: fixed!
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Re: New Miyazaki Film - Ponyo on the Cliff!

Postby MonkeyM666 on Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:06 am

Oh my...the trailer ... it was like a cute baby exploded it's cuteness all over my screen. Fuck... I wan't quite prepared for that.

Aside, it looks cool... I'll watch it but damn I feel like I'll be farting fairyfloss after watching that.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Evil Hobbit on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:19 pm

Ok guys, because I know your all fans of that cute theme song! Here's an amazing LIVE VERSION OF THE SONG Specific note goes out to the choreography at the end of the clip! Enjoy :mrgreen:
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:40 pm

Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:11 am

This has got to be one of the most pretentious and juvenile reviews I've read in a long time. This guy Ronnie Scheib writes like a precocious fourteen-year-old whose parents just gave him a dictionary and a thesaurus for his birthday.

Gawd, I hate Variety.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby magicmonkey on Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:28 am

I just saw it. The DVD copy I got was a little dodgy in translation... i.e some people exclaimed "Kazakstan" for no apparent reason... but it kicked my ass with its relative simplicity of story and beautiful locales. The film has a real love of the sea and coastal towns, its my fave rendition of a coastal town since "The Fog" or maybe "Kiki's Delivery Service".

Overall the narrative was simple enough, not quite as beautifully simple as "My Neighbour Totoro", but close enough and I really can't wait to see a nice translation. It's a treat.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Ribbons on Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:51 am

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Evil Hobbit on Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:18 pm

Ribbons wrote:Manna from heaven

My god, what an amazing opening scene. I'm not gonna watch more, quality is to choppy but my oh my can't wait to see it on the big screen!
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:11 pm

Woh woh woh..... Ribbins...Hang on a second, you can't post something like that in the Zone. :| It may be a crappy version, but it's the full movie. I had a look and it does look pretty impressive but come on now, we are not a site that promotes pirating.... are we?
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:12 am

This is a bit tricky.
Moo said he would get behind drawing the line at full movies, but also stated that AICN seems to be okay with youtube type links.Google vid is the same sort of thing.
I mean those are the sites where content gets pulled first if there's trouble.

If we're going to open this up again I'd say Ribbons was fine.

No to the torrent sites. Yes to youtube/google.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:52 pm

MonkeyM666 wrote:I personally have mixed opinions on the issue, hence my creation of the pirating thread in general interest but I'm not sure if it's the right thing to do in this instance. I also find it odd that a mod has posted this kinda thing but whatever really. I just thought that someone should mention it...

I just want to see the damned thing really... :D

I'm glad he posted though, now I'm more psyched to see it. God damn distributors should hurry the F up when it comes to Ghibli movies. Always takes ages to get them distributed. I am realy hoping the film will be screened at the local Rotterdam Film Fest early next year. They did it with Howl's Moving Castle (projected at the biggest screen in the city) and I will never forget that experience. And that wasn't even the best of the Ghibli movies! Every Ghibli movie should get Disney style animation distribution. I'm positive with a good dub it makes a huge profit in every country -- would they market it properly of course.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:43 am

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:54 am

Thanks!

The original Variety article: Trio team with Ghibli over 'Ponyo'
MARK SCHILLING wrote:Frank Marshall, Kathleen Kennedy and Pixar honcho John Lasseter are working with toon house Studio Ghibli to make the summer release of Hayao Miyazaki's smash toon "Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea" the studio's biggest hit ever Stateside.

The goal is to boost both the number of screens and the box office take beyond Ghibli's record for a U.S. release set by "Spirited Away," the Miyazaki toon that earned a little more than $10 million on 714 screens in 2002 and 2003.

The voice cast for the U.S. release, revealed in November, includes Matt Damon, Tina Fey, Cate Blanchett, Liam Neeson, Lily Tomlin and Cloris Leachman.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby BuckyO'harre on Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:52 pm

Release date!

Animation World Network reports that Disney Pictures has announced that Hayao Miyazaki's latest film, Ponyo (on a Cliff by the Sea) will hit American theaters on August 14th, 2009.

Noah Cyrus will voice the goldfish who wants to be a human and Frankie Jonas will be her human friend Sosuke while other cast members include Cate Blanchett, Matt Damon, Tina Fey, Cloris Leachman, Liam Neeson, Lily Tomlin and Betty White.

Film Jerk recently reported that Ponyo would open on 750 plus locations in second quarter 2009.

In January, Variety reported that John Pixar's Lasseter was working with Frank Marshall and Kathleen Kennedy to make Hayao Miyazaki/Ghibli's Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea "the studio's biggest hit ever Stateside." According to the piece, Ghibli has been frustrated that their films have only found a niche audience about anime fans and arthouse goers.

From the Variety piece:
The goal is to boost both the number of screens and the box office take beyond Ghibli's record for a U.S. release set by "Spirited Away," the Miyazaki toon that earned a little more than $10 million on 714 screens in 2002 and 2003.

Betty White FTW!
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:54 pm

Noah Cyrus, as in Hannah Montana's younger sister? And they've thrown one of the Jonas Brothers in there, too?! That's worse than Shia LaBeouf in Nausicaa.

I'm watching this subbed.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby BuckyO'harre on Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:59 pm

Seppuku wrote:Noah Cyrus, as in Hannah Montana's younger sister?

Good Lord, that's who that is?!
My mind just skipped over the Cyrus and wouldn't let itself imagine the connection.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:03 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:
Seppuku wrote:Noah Cyrus, as in Hannah Montana's younger sister?

Good Lord, that's who that is?!
My mind just skipped over the Cyrus and wouldn't let itself imagine the connection.

Check out my edit...it gets worse!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby BuckyO'harre on Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:09 pm

ACK!
Why did you make me see?!
I didn't want to see!

*sticks fingers in ears and closes eyes*
LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:51 pm

Seppuku wrote:And they've thrown one of the Jonas Brothers in there, too?! That's worse than Shia LaBeouf in Nausicaa.

No, no, it's alright. That's just their little brother Frankie, the Bonus Jonas!

Oh wait... yeah, that's even worse. Although Lasseter (or Pixar anyway) can usually get good voice performances out of their actors, so... here's hoping?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Maui on Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:15 pm

Seppuku wrote:That's worse than Shia LaBeouf in Nausicaa.

Or Shia LaBoeuf in "Surfs Up".
Maui
WoWie

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:57 pm

Hey guys, just a friendly invitation to all you Miyazaki lovers.

Over in the OLEG thread we talk lotsa personal shit and all, but we also have a weekly movie club. This round we're doing Oscar winners and so on Friday April 3rd 2009 we will be discussing Spirited Away. If you guys want to drop by and share your thoughts you are more than welcome.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:12 am

From /film:
Legendary filmmaker Hayao Miyazaki will appear in person, accept a prize and participate in a Q & A on July 25th in Berkeley California. Of all the weekends to pick, why did they pick Comic Con weekend? [cartoonbrew]

Speaking of Miyazaki, the American Disney dub of Ponyo will be released on over 800 screens, the biggest American release so far for the filmmaker. [Frank Marshall]
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: PONYO!! (New Miyazaki Film)

Postby Maui on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:09 am

People's Republic of Bezerkeley, cool. Might try to do this.
Maui
WoWie

Re: PONYO!! (New Miyazaki Film)

Postby Maui on Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:47 pm

Ponyo trailer in HD.
Maui
WoWie

New Miyazaki interview

Postby TheButcher on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:32 am

From Collider: Hayao Miyazaki Interview PONYO
Steve 'Frosty' Weintraub wrote:Here’s what you need to know: Since Hayao had limited time, Disney offered Alex from FirstShowing and I a combined interview, so it was just the two of us taking turns asking questions. While we were given 15 minutes, Miyazaki uses a translator, so the interview isn’t as long as a typical 15-minute interview. I didn’t care. Just getting a few minutes was an amazing experience and one I will never forget.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Next

Return to Animation