CLONE WARS CGI Movie/TV Series

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Re: CLONE WARS CGI Movie/TV Series

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:07 pm

I really enjoyed reading back through Mori's old reviews of the prequel trilogy. But only one of his reviews accurately reflects my own feelings - Attack Of The Clones. Everything he says in that review is how I still feel about that film now. The others were a nostalgic read, but I've got very different opinions on 'em.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:22 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Al Shut wrote:
Peven wrote:what is a trip is reading those old pieces Mori put up that were posted pre-"Phantom Menace", glowing pieces about the script and the trailer. funny how they went from being so ecstatic to so negative.

IN hindsight the script review is kind of hillarious.

Jeffrey Wells sounds oddly prescient.

In what way?

Moriarty wrote:The problem is that [Jeffrey Wells] then hands out negative reviews to films that aren’t finished. In particular, Wells picks THE PHANTOM MENACE as the year’s biggest disappointment. He cites the weak script and kiddie tone as big problems, with giving a grudging nod to the pod race scene.

It isn't like anyone fells that way now. :wink:
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:38 pm

I just read Alexandra Dupont's review on the main site and strangely enough it actually got me excited for this thing.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:46 pm

I'm off in about 10 minutes to go see this.

May Yoda have mercy on my soul...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Peven on Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:51 pm

lining up to get milked........ :-P :wink:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:28 am

You guys are braver than me. i'll give the first episode a shot when it hits TV, but I'm not bothering seeing this thing in the theaters (which screams cash grab to me anyway).
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby travis-dane on Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:22 am

RogueScribner wrote:You guys are braver than me. i'll give the first episode a shot when it hits TV, but I'm not bothering seeing this thing in the theaters (which screams cash grab to me anyway).

Oh yes, I see it the same way.
It looks like the "creators" of this put up a minimal effort in "creating" this mess.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby buster00 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:53 pm

I thought for sure I would go opening weekend, but it looks like I'm going to be too busy.

Besides, let's be honest, it just doesn't look very good. I'm thinkin' I might throw this one on the "dollar theatre" list. I can't believe I'm saying this about a Star Wars film.

PS -- Clone Wars has a dismal 18% at Rotten Tomatoes, out of 115 reviews so far.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:17 am

I liked it. It's not a great film and its not a great Star Wars film but it is enjoyable. That sounds a bit damning but I don't mean it to be. There are a few things that bothered me, most glaringly some of the dialog and Ziro Hutt's voice. The lightsaber fights still need some work to be enthralling in a CG environment but what most pleased me is from the shot selection to the editing this looks like any other Star Wars movie. Visually it is not out of place with any of the others. I also liked the interplay between Anakin and Asohka, especially when he realizes that he is essentially training himself. I hope she has a long and fruitful life, but knowing how Ep. 3 goes...
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:15 pm

A buddy of mine went over to Singapore to train some folks in Lucasfilm's animation department there and he said the first 6-8 episodes are not very good but the quality level changes drastically around the 10-12th episode. He wasn't sure if audiences wil stick around that long when it hits cartoon network though.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:00 pm

i'm not too worried about the animation. it's a tv show, i don't expect pixar-level quality. it's the quality of the stories and writing that will determine how long i keep watching (assuming i bother to start).
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:46 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i'm not too worried about the animation. it's a tv show, i don't expect pixar-level quality. it's the quality of the stories and writing that will determine how long i keep watching (assuming i bother to start).

By quaity level I was no refering to animation but the quality of everything on the show. I merely prefaced the story mentioning animation to explain where the source of my info obtained it.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:06 pm

OH yeah...i went and saw this!

It's not as bad as I thought it might be. My expectations going in were in the negative numbers.

The animation was pretty decent, I thought. Lots of pretty shots. So much of the prequels look "animated" to me that it actually fits in quite well with the existing universe (for whatever that's worth). A number of the action shots were quite cool. The lightsaber battles DO need work...they need to somehow convey the speed of the fighting without making it ALL look like Yoda jumping around like a maniac in attack of the clones. Every lightsaber fight in this was kinda like that...and I don't really like that style. The fight in TPM was much, much better.

Much has been made of Ziro the Hutt's voice...with good reason, it's ridiculously stupid. That said, he's in the movie for a grand total of about 5 minutes so it's not that big of a deal. It's more the sympbolism than anything else. Oh look, here's Lucas (and Co) inserting yet another really stupid, unfunny character. The padawan was kinda like that too. A wisecracking teen girl to keep Darth Vader on his toes....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (dumb). And every time she called him "Skyguy" I wanted to throw stuff at the screen.

I havent looked at the B.O. numbers from last weekend, but judging by my theater this must have done horribly. There were literally a total of 6 people in the enormous theater.

Don't get the above wrong...this really kinda sucked with one or two cool moments thrown in...but hey, I'm a masochist for SW, what can I say??

3/10.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:45 am

I'm waiting for GLAAD to go apeshit over Ziro Hutt. I never thought I would see a slug prance, even an animated one.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:51 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:I'm waiting for GLAAD to go apeshit over Ziro Hutt. I never thought I would see a slug prance, even an animated one.

Things could go one of three ways for Ziro the Hutt:

A. GLAAD hand the character a Lifetime Achievement Award.
B. GLAAD goes apeshit.
C. The Golden Raspberries hand the character a Lifetime Achievement Award.
D. Any or all of the above.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:27 am

Hummmm... I was just pondering if I should talk about a screener that I saw watching yesterday.

Should I mention that the voice acting is insulting it's so bad, and just because you pretend to be Scottish/English doesn't mean that you are Mr. Lucas.

Or if I should talk about the storyline that, in the scheme of the SW Universe, makes very little scene and is actually quite boring.

Or maybe we should talk about some more positive aspects like the quality of the CG or the other various aspects of Production that Lucas Arts do so well.... well, I can't really as, and this is my personal opinion, but was really done on the 'Lucas Cheap'. By L.Cheap I mean that it looks nice and it's done well but there was never any 'wow' or 'oh cool' moments that we usually find in a SW movie (eg: - opening 7 minutes of ROTS, or the Pod Race). It just plods along with the mindset that in 20 years Lucas will still be raping money out of his only idea and the kids of today will be complaining about it the same way that we are now.

Poo poo Mr Lucas.... you should have tried harder.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby instant_karma on Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:49 pm

Whilst I was watching this, a friend suggested that Ziro the Hutt sounded like Cartman from Southpark. I was having trouble taking the whole thing seriously before that, but that comment made it impossible.

I'll probably still end up watching the whole stupid mess though, 'cause I've been brainwashed by Star Wars...
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Bayouwolf on Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:29 pm

I'm not a very eloquent reviewer. I tend to calls em' like I sees em'
And this flick was "the shit." If by "shit", you immediately think real fecal matter.
Nothing in this was worth watching. It's a vehicle to get parents to buy more Hasbro toys for little Billy and Sally.

1/10
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby TheButcher on Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:46 pm

Here is a new trailer for the tv show: CN: Clone Wars
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:29 am

Just saw the first two episodes.
I never saw the theatrical "movie".

My only complaint is with the battle droids. Why even have conversational dialogue!?!?
Not only is their dialogue bad, but they actually have some expressive tones in their "voices".
Just because it's animated doesn't mean it needs to be silly.

Other than that, I enjoyed it. The action was very cool.
I dug Yoda's samurai run with the lightsaber in hand. Very cool.

I'll keep watching.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:08 am

I'm with Fievel.* After reading all the bad reviews for the movie, I wasn't exactly looking forward to the TV show, but it wasn't bad. It wasn't great, or even good, but it wasn't bad. It has potential. I wish Yoda's dialogue was toned down. Not every line he says has to be ass-backwards. Does anyone remember TESB and ROTJ? He sounded downright normal in those movies in comparison!

The show is an okay diversion. I probably ever won't get too invested in it because I doubt they'll ever up the dramatic stakes of the series, but as long as it doesn't get TOO silly I'll keep watching when I can.

* No, really, we're a couple now.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:29 pm

I didn't watch the movie but I just finished the first 2 episodes of the series. Didn't hate it at all! Sure there are many things to hate, but the overall feel was quite ok. Judging from the trailers I thought the animation to be below par, but after this viewing I must say I am quite impressed with the visuals. Never before did a 3d animated tv-series look this good! The backgrounds, the lightning, the textures, the depth of field, it's all great. Only thing lacking still is character animation itself. This is what made it, to me at least, not good for theaters but it plays great on tv.

Storywise I personally liked the seconds episode a whole lot more then the first one. Just more drama to it. I can't stand the fighting droids that all miss yet should all hit because they are accurately designed machines. But it was fun to see Yoda cut a hole in that tank. I agree with you above that he talks in Yoda stereotype overdrive. He is becoming a spoof of itself. They should really tone him down a bit. Just like the Kiwi Stormtroopers, man that's annoying! It's like Lumpy the Chef turned into a clone. Man o man, how distracting. And the opening narration, dear God that's cheesy. Oh well, I liked the percussion version of the Star Wars theme though. Pitty it stopped so sudden for that narrator.

All in all it's obviously nothing brilliant but it makes for a good 20 minutes of tele and is in my humble opinion a worthy addition to the Star Wars universe. Allowing a totally different target audience to get aquinted with the franchise while serving us with at least some sort of light saber apatite. I'm still hoping that live action Star Wars series will set a more serious tone again. Give us a bit more Empire, or Blade Runner. A bit more gritty please.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby bastard_robo on Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:22 pm

While I didnt see the movie, the first two episodes were really fun. The droids were a bit annoying, but I can see some potential for this series. I'll be watching.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:42 pm

I caught the movie last night. It, like the television series, can dip into silliness from time to time and focus too much on repetitive action rather than character/story building, but it wasn't bad. It was okay. I probably liked it more that AOTC. ;)
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Evil Hobbit on Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:01 pm

Excellent episode I say, reminded me a lot of good old Rogue Squadron video game action. Only thing that bothered was how they couldn't catch Grievous when they had a full army of Republic battle ships charging Grievous broken battle ship. But other then that, quite good.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:16 pm

Yeah, I liked this last episode as well.
The one thing I didn't like was Grevious coughing. I liked the idea that it started when they kidnapped Sidious as told in the original Clone Wars toons.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby instant_karma on Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:27 pm

Fievel wrote:Yeah, I liked this last episode as well.
The one thing I didn't like was Grevious coughing. I liked the idea that it started when they kidnapped Sidious as told in the original Clone Wars toons.

I was thinking that too about the cough.

I really liked seeing the early Y-Wings. Were they around in RotS dogfight opening?
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Fievel on Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:37 pm

instant_karma wrote:I really liked seeing the early Y-Wings. Were they around in RotS dogfight opening?

I don't think so.
I remember thinking "Anakin in a Y-Wing seems odd," and let it go at that.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:21 pm

Past two R2 centered episodes rocked the boat! It's so much fun. Been a long time since there was an animated cartoon perfect for sunday mornings. But this is it! After work on saturday, I download the new episode and sunday morning I watch it. Reminds me of the good old days with sunday morning X-men and Batman Animated and Darkwing Duck and Ducktales and many Cartoon Network toons like Dexter and Cow and Chicken. 8-)
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:42 pm

Does the film make up the first couple of series episodes, or is that kept separate?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:12 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Does the film make up the first couple of series episodes, or is that kept separate?

Yeah, it sets up the series to some extent. I was several episodes into the series before I saw the movie.. wasn't really a problem.

The R2 episodes WERE really good! Minimal shitty dialogue, good action, and Anakin was pissed off a lot.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:18 pm

i haven't seen the movie, but the series has been pretty good so far. from what i heard of the movie, the tv series is much better. no baby hutts or Dumbledore hutts, and i've yet to hear anakin referred to as "sky-guy" yet, but he does call her snips every once in a while.

the one thing that really annoys me though, is the battle droids. they've made them way too stupid and comical, but worse is they've given them a "personality" which just doesn't make sense. there's no way an army full of those things could even put up a fight.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:26 pm

Technically there is no reason to assume the battle droids wouldn't have a personality considering all previous droids in the films etc have personalities, though I do understand what you mean about them fighting well (or not) together as a result.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:42 pm

well, they all have the SAME personality. and it's a stupid personality. think jar-jar binks minus the pidgen english.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:36 pm

TheBaxter wrote:well, they all have the SAME personality. and it's a stupid personality. think jar-jar binks minus the pidgen english.

See no that makes more sense to dislike them. Just watched my first episode of the series with the spy R3 unit. I loved the R2-R3 fight. I may get the movie on dmenad HD and see how it is now.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:55 pm

I've now seen the feature film and the first four episodes, and I am really liking it. The film is in no way as bad as the reviews have said, and the episodes themselves have been quite entertaining with the "Malevolence" storyline being quite satisfying.

I like that the designs, and some of the shots and situations, tie in more with Empire and Jedi. The scene of Yoda having a sit down with his three troopers was really well done, The twirling, chaotic Endor-like space battles we've been missing are back. There are so many character points too, which I think Revenge of the Sith was too light on, and it provides more impact for the eventual turn.

The key problems I have with it so far are:
- the voice acting for Kenobi pisses me off
- the battle droids will likely get annoying if used too much
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TK-421 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:24 pm

Ah fuck, they started with the series on TV this morning and I completely forgot. Or, well, I was sleeping, but the point remains the same. Dammit. Guess I'll have to wait for the DVD's to come out.
TK-421
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:48 pm

TK-421 wrote:Ah fuck, they started with the series on TV this morning and I completely forgot. Or, well, I was sleeping, but the point remains the same. Dammit. Guess I'll have to wait for the DVD's to come out.

Why aren't you at your post?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:30 pm

Take over here, Lecko, we've got a bad transmitter.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TK-421 on Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:31 am

Leckomaniac wrote:
TK-421 wrote:Ah fuck, they started with the series on TV this morning and I completely forgot. Or, well, I was sleeping, but the point remains the same. Dammit. Guess I'll have to wait for the DVD's to come out.

Sorry sir, I was knocked out by a huge monkey with a crossbow. :-P
TK-421
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fievel on Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:00 pm

This series surprises me more and more every week.
The action seems to get better.... some of the storylines are really good (this week's traitorous Senate Guard was cool).
The shitty dialogue was completely absent this week....

Yay.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:28 pm

Fievel wrote:This series surprises me more and more every week.
The action seems to get better.... some of the storylines are really good (this week's traitorous Senate Guard was cool).
The shitty dialogue was completely absent this week....

Yay.

Did you notice who wrote the episode?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:09 pm

Holy Dini, nerfherders!!!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:37 am

so i finally watched the clone wars movie tonight on blu-ray.
yes, it was bad. but really, it's not any worse than phantom menace, maybe only slightly worse than AOTC. maybe i was prepared for some of the worst parts by all the reviews and by the tv series, but i still think TPM is a bigger affront to the series than this. sure, the g@y hutt was stupid, but at least s/he's only in the last 15 minutes or so of the movie; jar-jar was just as bad and was all over TPM. ahsoka was annoying, but only slightly more annoying than in the tv show, and so i was prepared for that ahead of time. and the baby hutt, all things considered, could've been a lot worse, especially considering the modern day lucas's fascination with poo. i was expecting a lot of fart and diaper jokes, and for the most part there weren't any, other than calling him 'stinky' a lot, mostly he was just a prop; jake lloyd was a much bigger annoyance in TPM. don't get the wrong idea, i'm not making excuses for this, it's completely disposable, too long and a bit boring, and the story is stupid and pointless. but TPM had a lot more stuff that was groan-worthy in my opinion. and while this film was disposable and completely unnecessary, TPM took an important part of the SW mythology and took a big dump on it and then made jar-jar step in it for a cheap laugh. the only thing TPM had going for it was darth maul and the pod race; clone wars has bigger, longer, more entertaining action sequences on the whole. the animation was pretty good, except for the human characters.
ultimately, i don't expect i'll ever watch clone wars again. i've seen it once, that was enough. if i ever watch TPM again, it will only be because it tells a meaningful part of the backstory of the series.
i do think the tv show has improved over the movie, mainly by getting rid of the more groan-worthy elements of the film, and by toning down ahsoka, and telling some better stories, though utlimately the tv show is still just as disposable. if you don't like the movie, i'd say, think about the parts of the film that don't involve a baby hutt or a g@y hutt or anakin and ahsoka trading new nicknames, and if you still don't like those parts, then you probably wouldn't like the tv show any better.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:01 am

TK-421 wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:

Sorry sir, I was knocked out by a huge monkey with a crossbow. :-P

Are you sure it wasn't a reactor leak?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:36 am

Holy shit this week kicked ass!!!!!!!!
Kit Fisto for the win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:09 am

I've liked this enough that I'm disappointed we now have to wait till January for the next episode.

Couldn't they have made a Clone Wars Holiday Special?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:00 pm

Happy early Life Day, FG! :lol:

The Clone Wars is really starting to show how fun, exciting, and effective George Lucas' world is when put in other, more capable hands.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Al Shut on Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:53 pm

I tuned into an episide more ior less by accident.

Either I'm going completely mad or they were playing the Drcula soundtrack for some reason during one scene.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:27 pm

One can apparently watch all the episodes shown so far here:

http://www.starwars.com/video/view/0000/0025
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Animation