Happy Feet

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Happy Feet

Postby clownboy on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:34 am

Not at all sure what to think of Happy Feet, got to see a rough cut and wasn't that impressed (though my two year old loved it), but I have a former colleague who was an animator on this trailer;

http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?id=1415449&sdm=web&qtw=480&qth=300

And I have to say, he did an amazing job. He just nails it. Just thought he should get his props. Great work Gordon.

BTW, the reason some of the Penguins have spanish accents is they hail from Patagonia-Argentina.
clownboy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby MiltonWaddams on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:03 pm

so do the penguins just dance the whole movie? what's the point?
Urer yvrf Z.J.
Xvyyrq ol ungr naq vafvqr wbxrf.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:11 pm

MiltonWaddams wrote:so do the penguins just dance the whole movie? what's the point?

Ah, the amount of times I hear that in pitching sessions...
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:31 pm

I'm cool with watching penguins dance. I feel utter joy from that trailer.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby John-Locke on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:41 pm

You guys know this is Directed by Dr George Miller right? Hopefully this will make him enough money to be able to start working on Mad Max 4, I'm expecting this to have some deep and meaningful underlying subtext like Babe 2 did but it's possible it's nothing more than a potential cash cow, if the kids like it he could be rolling in it, it seems like the sort of thing the kids would want to watch time and time again, what with the cute penguins, the dancing and the classic songs.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby clownboy on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:48 pm

No, the penguins don't dance throughout the whole film, in fact there are only a few set pieces featuring dancing penguins. The rest of the story is pretty typical kids fare...young penguin trying to find his place among the flock...Like I said, not a great film by any stretch (short as well), but my daughter loved it.
clownboy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:49 pm

Damn. I thought this was somehow related to Steve Martin's old routine - back when he was known for his stand-up and had only made one or two minor movies.

Yes, back when he was funny.

Just used to randomly interrupt his act with "OH NO! HAPPY FEET" and then make it look like his legs were running one way and his upper half was pulling in the other.

It was funny. It WAS I tell you all.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:54 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:Damn. I thought this was somehow related to Steve Martin's old routine - back when he was known for his stand-up and had only made one or two minor movies.

Just used to randomly interrupt his act with "OH NO! HAPPY FEET" and then make it look like his legs were running one way and his upper half was pulling in the other.

that's a movie i'd like to see...especially compared the the "great comedies" Martin's been putting out lately...

and this film will do well - Penguins are THE animal of the moment - and it should come out in time to still cash in on that...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby cap on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:55 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:Damn. I thought this was somehow related to Steve Martin's old routine - back when he was known for his stand-up and had only made one or two minor movies.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

That was funny.......once......the first time.

Ambition - The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly
cap
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:08 pm

The dancing penguins did make me smile.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby brendonconnelly on Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:23 pm

Unfortunately, this film is going to be shit.

Just like Babe 2, Pig in the City.

Animation buffs are generally apalled by this trailer, FYI.
brendonconnelly
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby mistertim on Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:14 pm

I assumed from the trailer it might be a cynical attempt to cash in on both penguin-mania post 'March of the Penguins', and the apparent fascination with gormless animated characters doing silly things among so many people, epitomised by the 'crazy frog'...erm... craze.

Still, I'm ready to be proved wrong...
"That's why they sent me I am an expert."
mistertim
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby buster00 on Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:45 pm

I'm gonna demand a minimum of three good, solid fart jokes out of this one.

PLUS at least two quality heartwarming moments from Robin Williams.

Goddamn, that motherfucker warms my heart. It's like, he's all looney and wacky, but then it turns out he really cares.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:49 am

i am convinced that Masswyrm on the main page has simply become desparate for attention or now fancies himself a "
performance reviewer" after reading his paranoid ass-hat ranting about this movie. (maybe he is going for a "favorite attention whore" Zonie, that is, if he ever actually showed up here)

no, i haven't seen it, but the points he makes are just plain assinine and i can't see any reason he would act like such a tard except to draw attention to himself for attention sake. maybe he feel no one pays any attention to him when he writes a "straight" review that isn't some ode to Andy Kaufman, in a sly wink wink nudge nudge sort of way. one has to wonder. :roll: :twisted:

apparantly, he feels kids aren't able to deal with symbolism and issues threaded within a story, and that any movie that doesn't come right out and openly preach its message is somehow an evil work of a filmaker trying to control childrens' minds. Next he'll be saying there are subliminal messages hidden in kids' films conditioning them to buy more candy.

Mass, step away from either the acid or your ego, whichever is responsible for that crap, while you still have perhaps the slightest shred of credibility left. oh yeah, and as a parent i am well prepared to discuss heavy issues with my kids after watching a movie with them, in fact, its one of the reasons i find film such a great shared experience with them. maybe you are too chickenshit to discuss anything more complex than where the Easter Bunny gets his eggs from with your kids, Mass, but thats your problem. :roll:

now, :D as for we merry members of the Zone, lets hear what you have to say about this movie, which, btw, Mori has ranked as "excellent". :D

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby buster00 on Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:59 am

I'm already sick of it. I've been sick of it for months now.

But then, I don't have kids either.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:05 am

i seriously have to wonder if Mass's wife hasn't cut him off, kicked him out, or if he has discovered her fucking some hippy dude behind his back. what a tool. the rationale he uses in that review is just plain lame, imo. he either doesn't have kids and doesn't know shit about them, or has kids and is raising them to be the next generation of non-questioning dumbass Bush jr voters.

want some serious irony? i watched "Watership Down" with my kids tonight. talk about an animated movie with themes and ideas woven into the movie without anouncing it had a message. but, oh, i see on the main page he makes some lame exception to Watership Down. putz.
Last edited by Peven on Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:10 am

Yeah, that guy sounds crazier than Happy Feet. I couldn't read the whole thing, much too long, but I got through half of it and there was plenty of paranoid induced hysteria in that. You can pretty much interpret any story where the protagonist embraces individualism over the norm as anti religious. Spartacus is anti religious, The outsiders is anti religious, Saturday Night Fever? Damned right anti religious.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:20 am

Isn't this the same guy who spent 90% of his Grudge 2 review knocking the actresses for not being pretty enough?

ETA: No, that was MiraJeff, I think. I wanted to check, but since that review was pulled . . .

Anyway, uh, yeah . . .
Last edited by RogueScribner on Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:25 am

He doesn't get payed to do reviews or anything, right?
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Peven on Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:26 am

yeah, i shouldn't let an inconsequential reviewer like him bug me. i have been pretty good about not going off on rants here too. oh well :wink: :D

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby bamf on Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:27 am

Yes, but how was the Order trailer?
I'm often accused of reading way too much into things. Like my view on Armageddon being a communist manifesto, or the character Jack Dorian in Scrubs being based on Holden from Catcher in the Rye, (Holden wants to save everyone, Jack Dorian wants to save everyone, Catcher was written by J. D. Salinger and Jacks nickname is J.D., am I stretching?) I'm fully ready to consider Massas comments, but I wish I had seen it before I read this because now I fear I would be looking at it through his eyes. HF is certainly a film I would not be seeing ever, but this propaganda charge intrigues. Maybe Ill stick around after I sneak in for the Potter bit.
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Flumm on Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:32 am

Well, having read it now, (you should warm-up your eyeballs, take some of that industrial cough medicine and take another play at it, Retardo, infact I think he mentions that this would be a benficiial life experience for just such one of those kinda of occasions...), if nothing else, I can say Ithink it's memorable review.

Ahem.

Specifically I suppose, is the margin to which he feels the film has not only been marketed, but in which it has been made.

He emphasises that it feels from conceptions to creation, even in it's onscreen beat for beat moments, that it has it's heart is in trying to speak to children, under the guise of an innocent, CGI family entertainment film, and attempts to actively indocterinate them with poorly held together, premediated political messages.

As I gather it, anyway.

Which I think is a legitimate concern to a point, depending on your politics of course, although not having seen the film and not necassarily sharing his politics, I am not sure to what degree...

That being said, I would fall into the catorgory of one of those non-child people nowadays, so in turn, I'm also one of of those people who he mentions, who will now be curious enough by the strength of his own words into making the effort, before unrealised, to seeing the movie, for all it's apparently insideously crafted lunacy alone.

Or now that I've heard such a distinct voice on the matter, to gauge how and where I lay inbetween.

I like subversion, as a concept, in humour, in my artistic inputs in general, often to the point where I find I gather worth in those things that almost set out to alienate others with their own individualisms, but even with Mass' soliquey on the matter, I'm not sure I can stomach the shiney, plasticy surface of another animal CGI movie.

Not that I have seen all that many, but my point still stands.

I'll likely see it with peaked interest when it comes to DVD, and judge for myself as to whether the subersiveness of the content, and the creativity of it's expression, merits the severity of the critisism...
Last edited by Flumm on Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:33 am

the numbnut opposes teaching kids that being an individual and following their heart is good. this, AFTER going on a rant about a different animated movie, "The Ant Bully", being a communist manifesto for children. i guess his idea of a perfect cartoon/animated movie for kids would be feature length "Davy and Goliath". :roll:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:46 am

I wouldn't say he opposes individualism per se, though it's a little hard to tell. If the film were solely about dancing and singing it would still be thematically concerned with the concept of individual identity in society, perhaps even moreso than it (allegedly) is, and he seemed to imply he was fine with it going in.

I think the chief argument is that this movie is sort of like a "checklist" of ultra-liberal beliefs, which he sees as irresponsible because he doesn't think they have a logical basis (understand that this is not me agreeing with him on that front, or even agreeing that this is the message of the movie). I'm sure he wouldn't have felt anywhere near as strongly about the film as he did were it not for his own political and personal convictions that it may have brushed up against, but what he's saying in and of itself doesn't seem too out there. I suspect he's embellishing a little though, and I'd be lying if I said his review didn't make me curious to see the thing.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:23 am

I read the whole thing and I stand by my convictions. The guy has made his own Teen Wolf Review by Baxter, except not funny.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Flumm on Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:45 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:I read the whole thing and I stand by my convictions. The guy has made his own Teen Wolf Review by Baxter, except not funny.

Well, admittedly that would be kinda difficult...

In other news...

"And then the story takes a sharp, and decisive leap left!

They'll never. See it. Coming."

[quote="Chapter 2: The Shuh Shuh Shuffle Of Discontent"]

[size=84]
Moriarty Loves HAPPY FEET And Is Baffled By Those Who Don't!!

And I am here to tell you, folks... Massawyrm is wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

Every now and then, Harry goes completely off the reservation and puts two and six together and gets fifty-three, and he’ll write one of those reviews where you’re sure that mescaline and a dare was somehow involved in the way Harry connects the dots. That’s why he’s Harry. But even at his most intentionally provocative, Harry’s never written anything as strange as that glib (I’m stealing the word back), snide attack on a genuinely thoughtful film that is absolutely one of the best animated films released this year, and probably since THE INCREDIBLES.

George Miller is no slouch. In fact, it’s safe to say George Miller is one of the few untamed young lions of the ‘80s. He never got into the habit of cranking out blockbusters and chasing opening weekends year after year after year. He’s walked away from better jobs than most people will ever be offered. He’s created several classics already, and I’m willing to bet he’s got more in him.

I took my wife and my son to see HAPPY FEET because I knew Miller was involved, hoping for something that would be diverting enough with the singing and dancing to keep him entertained. He’s sixteen months now, and at home, he’ll watch anything with music in it. His mom showed him SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN, for example, and he danced every time the people onscreen did. In addition, penguins are not exactly an unknown quantity in our house. After MARCH OF THE PENGUINS, my wife became fond of stuffed penguins, particularly the baby ones. Then about a month ago, Warner Bros. sent out stuffed dancing penguins that will dance to whatever music you put on, or even just to the sound of your voice. And so Toshi and the penguin would dance to salsa music together in the kitchen while his grandmother was cooking. Seriously.

Diverting would have been enough for me to be satisfied with the film. I’ve seen most of the animated kids films this year, like ANT BULLY and THE BARNYARD and OPEN SEASON, and I’ve seen them early, but chosen not to write about them.

Honestly, I couldn’t. Those movies made me depressed about animation as a storytelling technique. Those movies are so painfully formulaic, and although they were obviously expensive and there are obviously talented animators involved with these and with OVER THE HEDGE and with CARS and with FLUSHED AWAY. There are probably more talented CG artists right now than there ever were conventional 2D animators at any one time. And what are they working on?

Well... junk, pretty much. I’m sorry to say it, but it’s true. OPEN SEASON is a film worth being mad at. OPEN SEASON is corrupt and empty and deals in easy stereotype. They might as well have called it MARTIN LAWRENCE IS JIVE BEAR AND ASHTON KUTCHER IS DONKEY FROM SHREK. That’s it. That’s all the movie’s got going on. And there’s a lot of visual firepower expended telling this truly depressing nonstory. It’s a technically proficient film, and everyone involved with crafting it deserves to work again. But they should be working on something of merit. They should be working on something that has something to say.

In a year that has been overstuffed with babysitter movies, movies that appear to have been assembled from kits, HAPPY FEET commits the cardinal sin of having something complex on its mind. There’s something profoundly subversive about a film called HAPPY FEET that takes a third-act left turn (and we’ll talk about spoilers later) that is anything but joyous. In fact, the last time I saw a “children’sâ€
Last edited by Flumm on Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby banthafodderUK on Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:48 am

while i was working for currys (1 week ago) - those bastards played the happy feet trailer every 7 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i hate it now!

damn you currys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wii code 0186 4330 3469 8398 use it mofo's!
banthafodderUK
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:32 am

Massawrym wrote:.....

Hell, I remember boring Sunday mornings when I’d watch Hello Kitty in Spanish because it was the only animated show on. I mean, why watch the news when you’ve got Hola Gato! En Espanol? But just because I didn’t speak the language didn’t mean I couldn’t figure out what was going on.

And stories have always, first and foremost, been great metaphors. Hell most of the ancient written word we have, and certainly everything of it we’ve been taught, is metaphor. The works of Aesop, the allegories of Plato, even the lessons of Christ, Buddha and Lao-Tsu blah blah blah

the ecological devastation unknowingly caused by man on the environment and the need to stop it, C) the evils of keeping animals in captivity, blah blah blah

The review actually begins...

Happy Feet is a film about the dangers and evils of religion in the face of open-minded liberal thought.

Okay, okay. Wait a minute. Let me take that back. I don’t want to say Liberal thought. Because I know a lot of liberals. blah blah blah

kind of liberal who wrote this half-baked, poorly constructed piece of ultra-hippie, atheist, eco-extremist garbage.

Yeah. I fucking said it.

Now here’s the thing. I have no qualms about any theme whatsoever in mature films. Art is art. I might think a particular theme is blah blah blah

…this is propaganda.

And you won’t know it until about, oh, twenty, maybe thirty minutes into it. By then it’s too late. The damage is done. The plot has crept up on you and the only solutions are to drag your kids, most likely screaming, out of the theatre – or suffer through every last bit of what I described above. This isn’t irresponsible. That would belie a sense that these folks were haphazard in the construction of this. No, this is deliberate. This has purpose. In fact, the only part of this film that shows any sort of real thought is the plot I listed above. Everything else feels like filler.

And on and on... Massawyrm is getting a really huge chip on his shoulder... the guy sees propaganda everywhere!

In his Ant Bully review, Massawyrm wrote:Are the kids gonna get all this? Oh, probably not. But the parents sure will. Hell, if the Right Wing talk shows can be all a buzz with chatter about anti-American themes in Superman, then this is gonna give them a case of spastic colon the likes of which we've never seen. If they thought Hollywood was liberal before, just wait until they sink their teeth into this little bevy of propaganda.

It's been a slow process where rants first started seeping into his reviews... but that Happy Feet response of his was not a review, it was a diatribe against the world! The guy needs help!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:46 am

I like George Miller, I mean come on, its the dude behind Mad Max!! He's the Qui-Gon to Mels Annakin. He even wrote Babe for christ/vegans/heathens (whatever) sakes!
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:27 pm

SR was anti-American? Does this have to do with that "Truth, Justice . . . all that stuff" line? Way to blow things out of proportion!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:33 pm

I love animation. I am working to get into the industry. I love CG.

All that said I hate this film's trailers and have no interest in seeing it as a result.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:07 pm

i just got done reading Massawyrm's review... he makes it sound like a penguin movie written by Vynson.

actually, it sounds more like a penguin version of Footloose to me. dancing is outlawed for religiously repressive reasons etc etc. is kevin bacon in this?

i can understand being pissed off that the film is marketed as something other than what it is, but there are plenty of kiddie films, and films in general, that do that. i wonder if he would have been as upset if a film presented itself as an innocent movie about dancing penguins, and then suddenly and insidiously found himself watching a PRO-religious message. don't you think parents have the right to know that the cute little movie they think they're taking their kid to is really telling them to believe in a mythical, make-believe guy in the sky who controls everything? i mean, that's DANGEROUS.

btw, if the film is so DANGEROUS as massa states, then why does he then turn around and say he supports someone 100% if they want to take their kids to see it as long as they know what it's about. seems pretty contradictory to me. if i had a kid, and someone told me a film was DANGEROUS and i told them i was gonna take my kid to see it anyway, then i'd be kinda surprised if they said 'hey, awesome! i support you 100%!' i think there are films that are DANGEROUS to take a kid to see, and if someone told me they were gonna take their kid to see one of those, i'd tell them they were fucked up. i don't remember what film it was, but there was some horror movie that harry talked about taking his nephew too and the talkback was full of people telling him how fucked up that was, and whether you agree with that on that specific film or not, i think everyone can agree that certain movies shouldn't be watched by little kids. but if massa really thought this film was so DANGEROUS, then why would he support anyone who wanted to take their kids to see it? either he doesn't REALLY think the film is DANGEROUS, and is just going off into hyperbole-land, or he's trying to make himself seem a bit more reasonable and head off the "you're a lunatic" accusations, which is too little too late. i think massa sounds like one of those born-again evangelical types who sees satan's handiwork in anything that suggests that maybe someone shouldn't accept everything their told about god as being a fact.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:37 pm

p.s. i just heard Massawyrm sent his kids to Jesus Camp. no pesky anti-god penguin films to worry about there!

he does have a point though. i heard from a friend who took his kids to see a preview of the film, and now his kids don't believe in the Great Penguin in the Sky anymore. he's devastated. but they still believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, so all is not lost.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby The Ginger Man on Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:03 pm

I would have completely written off this review as just Massa drinking too much Dr. Pepper before sitting down to write, but then he hit me with the one line that just pissed me off.

Massawyrm wrote:Here’s the part you think I’m reading too much into a fucking kids movie. Here’s the part where I politely tell you to fuck right the hell off. Because I’ve actually seen it and that is EXACTLY what this movie is about.

Ahhh...the "Fuck you. You don't know what I know" approach. Why worry about whether or not your readers agree with you, when you can just tell them they don't know shit? It's such a groundbreaking step in film writing, I imagine Roger Ebert will be using it any day now.

Seriously, though. That's talkback trash. Yeah, we haven't seen it...still doesn't mean you're not possibly full of shit. Even so, I hope he's right! I hope all that subtext is hidden away within Happy Feet, cause if it is, that makes it one the deepest children's films to be released in....well, I'd like to say ever, but we all know that Disney's The Lion King was actually a metaphor for Nietzche's "God is Dead" philosphy.

Oh. Did you not see that when you watched The Lion King? You think I'm just making shit up in an attempt to top my Ant Bully review? Well, then fuck off. You didn't see the print I did...so you wouldn't fucking know.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:47 pm

i think there's something to the "i've seen it, you haven't" argument, i have a lot of problems with people who criticize a film without having seen it first (ironically, it's usually christians who do that; da vinci code, last temptation of christ, etc. etc.)

but i think if you're going to make the kind of accusations he made in that review, it's not enough to just say "i've seen it, you haven't, so i'm right"... you have to at least back up your arguments with something from the film that actually PROVES WHAT YOU SAID. and massa's own description of the film, which i'm sure he tried to describe in a way that most supported his claims, doesn't come close to actually being what he said it was. i mean, you have to assume that this Great Penguin in the Sky is meant to be a literal representation of GOD, for it to even begin to make sense. and i think that's a huge leap and assumption to make. if the film plays out exactly the way he describes it, then you'd have to be a real fundamentalist xtian type to get out of it what he did.

compare this review to his Narnia review, which i link here: Massawyrm's Narnia review

here are some choice quotes:

Massawyrm wrote:as a film, describing this as a Christian work of fantasy is way off base.

Massawyrm wrote:This is a work of fantasy that never mentions God, prayer, the Christ or angels (although the White Witch played an Angel in Constantine, so go have fun arguing that one.) Yes, someone dies and comes back -- but not after three days. It happens a lot in fiction, and is pretty thin.

so a lion who sacrifices himself and then is resurrected isn't Christian subtext at all, but a penguin who disobeys his elders and the wishes of the Great Penguin in the Sky is somehow an in-your-face anti-religion screed? i mean, i'll admit i haven't seen Happy Feet, but somehow i doubt it ever mentions God, prayer, the Christ or angels either. funny how pissed off he got at what he perceived as ANTI-religious messages, yet the much more blatant PRO-religious message of another family film go right over his head.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby The Ginger Man on Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:07 pm

Well I think there's a difference between criticizing a film you haven't seen, and saying people can't criticize your review of a film they haven't seen. Massa later said in the talkbacks (which I can't quote at the moment, b/c they are down)...well, he called a guy out for liking Mori's positive review, saying it was b/c it fit the false idea this guy had in his head...and that the guy just didn't get it. So Massa says you're full of shit if you disagree with his review AND if you agree with reviews opposite of his.

I don't understand how Massa gets off calling himself a serious reviewer. He's a troll with article posting privilages.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:01 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i think there's something to the "i've seen it, you haven't" argument, i have a lot of problems with people who criticize a film without having seen it first (ironically, it's usually christians who do that; da vinci code, last temptation of christ, etc. etc.)

but i think if you're going to make the kind of accusations he made in that review, it's not enough to just say "i've seen it, you haven't, so i'm right"... you have to at least back up your arguments with something from the film that actually PROVES WHAT YOU SAID. and massa's own description of the film, which i'm sure he tried to describe in a way that most supported his claims, doesn't come close to actually being what he said it was. i mean, you have to assume that this Great Penguin in the Sky is meant to be a literal representation of GOD, for it to even begin to make sense. and i think that's a huge leap and assumption to make. if the film plays out exactly the way he describes it, then you'd have to be a real fundamentalist xtian type to get out of it what he did.

compare this review to his Narnia review, which i link here: Massawyrm's Narnia review

here are some choice quotes:

Massawyrm wrote:as a film, describing this as a Christian work of fantasy is way off base.

Massawyrm wrote:This is a work of fantasy that never mentions God, prayer, the Christ or angels (although the White Witch played an Angel in Constantine, so go have fun arguing that one.) Yes, someone dies and comes back -- but not after three days. It happens a lot in fiction, and is pretty thin.

so a lion who sacrifices himself and then is resurrected isn't Christian subtext at all, but a penguin who disobeys his elders and the wishes of the Great Penguin in the Sky is somehow an in-your-face anti-religion screed? i mean, i'll admit i haven't seen Happy Feet, but somehow i doubt it ever mentions God, prayer, the Christ or angels either. funny how pissed off he got at what he perceived as ANTI-religious messages, yet the much more blatant PRO-religious message of another family film go right over his head.

In the TBs, Massawyrm wrote:Had the film been about Christ showing up and the penguins only being able to be saved through the power of their Christian faith...and it had been sold the exact same way as this...I would have been just as offended.

I just think the guy is crazy. He needs to take a break from the internet to get himself sorted out a bit.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Peven on Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:09 pm

he does seem stressed. maybe his trailer park went condo.....

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby The Ginger Man on Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:55 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:I just think the guy is crazy. He needs to take a break from the internet to get himself sorted out a bit.

He took a break a few years ago when he was banned as a reviewer for basically...well, being Massawyrm...only in the real world, and to all the wrong people.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:58 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:I just think the guy is crazy. He needs to take a break from the internet to get himself sorted out a bit.

He took a break a few years ago when he was banned as a reviewer for basically...well, being Massawyrm...only in the real world, and to all the wrong people.

:shock: Wow, now I'm starting to feel bad for the guy!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby The Ginger Man on Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:22 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:
The Ginger Man wrote:

:shock: Wow, now I'm starting to feel bad for the guy!

I wouldn't. It was totally his fault. It was back during the big Harry/Moriarty Superman debacle. I don't know the full story. There was even a final letter Massa posted, but I cant find it. But I think he basically ran his mouth off about Moriarty, talked some harsh shit, to some rather big people Mori worked with....again, don't take my word for this. Was a long time ago and I've had alot to drink since then.

But yeah, he wasnt innocent in the least.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby John-Locke on Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:18 pm

If you are curious here is my Babe:Pig in the City review from February

Back in February I wrote:Last night I watched Babe: Pig in the City, I was always intrigued by claims it's not really completely a kids film and I have to agree, definitely one of the weirdest films I've ever seen, enjoyable to a good extent, some kiddie moments but on the whole a great viseral experience that I recommend wholeheartedly to anyone with an ounce of curiosity.

The underlying themes are nice, going out into the world with bravery, adapting to life in a big city as well as a lesson about the underclass city life creates for example, it's actually deeper than that and okay they aren't exactly Kubrick level themes but George Miller did a good job I felt.

The main reason to see this film is the world of strange animals it creates, Steven Wright as the chimp was brilliant as was the orangutan with the evil staring eyes, the Jack Russell with wheels on it's back legs was twisted but nice, the sets were lush (the city skyline is made up from all the big city landmarks, Eifel Tower, Golden Gate Bridge, Sydney Opera House, Statue of liberty to name but a few) and the two big set pieces were well orchestrated and were basically good clean visceral slapstick/circus type fare.

It does have a few genuinely disturbing moments like a drowning dog and I think it's moments like this that made the kids run from the cinemas crying back when it was released but those who stayed on their seats would have witnessed a very touching moment and a lesson in bravery.

Check it out.

As a massive fan of Dr. George Miller I hope this film does really well, I'm sure Massawrymtongue is pretty accurate in most of the messages he took from the film, and I think it a bold and brave move on Millers part to try and change the world for the better (And I have no doubt I'd agree with him 100%) and I hope many kids see it, question the messages and make educated decisions later in life as a consequence of seeing this film. I'm sure we can all agree that the world is about as fucked up a place now as it's ever been, things aren't getting any better and if anything they are getting a whole lot worse as mankind destroys the planet quicker, easier and with more efficiency than ever before. Things need to change and I respect this filmmaker for trying to do his part to change things for the better. Obviously that a biased opinion as I'm pretty left wing and pretty much despise the current use of organised Religion and I'm sure I'd be just as vocal as Massawrymtongue if the filmmaking equivalent of Anne Coulter made a film with their messages mixed into a story for kids.

Massawrymtongue is off his rocker for most of the review though.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby LeFlambeur on Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:16 pm

I just hope his review isn't an indication of things to come. If this movie is as blantantly liberal as he makes it sound, the news is gonna be flooded with protests from outraged conservative christians, using the movie to prove that there is a war against their religion. (They're just praying that one day they will finally have a christian in office.)
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Ribbons on Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:43 pm

LeFlambeur wrote:I just hope his review isn't an indication of things to come. If this movie is as blantantly liberal as he makes it sound, the news is gonna be flooded with protests from outraged conservative christians, using the movie to prove that there is a war against their religion. (They're just praying that one day they will finally have a christian in office.)

Zuh? That went about a mile over my head. Don't we have a Christian in office right now?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby The Ginger Man on Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:19 pm

Ribbons wrote:
LeFlambeur wrote:I just hope his review isn't an indication of things to come. If this movie is as blantantly liberal as he makes it sound, the news is gonna be flooded with protests from outraged conservative christians, using the movie to prove that there is a war against their religion. (They're just praying that one day they will finally have a christian in office.)

Zuh? That went about a mile over my head. Don't we have a Christian in office right now?

Yeah...I thought I'd just leave that one be.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Vicarious on Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:57 pm

I love that disagreeing with a reviewer's assertions (without having seen the film yourself) allows for the complete dismissal of the write-up and personal attacks on the reviewer. God forbid someone actually agree with him.
Eye on the TV, 'cause tragedy thrills me...
Vicarious
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Ribbons on Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:17 am

Vicarious wrote:I love that disagreeing with a reviewer's assertions (without having seen the film yourself) allows for the complete dismissal of the write-up and personal attacks on the reviewer. God forbid someone actually agree with him.

Well, at least it wasn't Zoner-on-Zoner violence. :wink: I see your point though, even though I do think it's fair (and probably accurate) for people to suspect him of being biased based on his history.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:56 am

LeFlambeur wrote:I just hope his review isn't an indication of things to come. If this movie is as blantantly liberal as he makes it sound, the news is gonna be flooded with protests from outraged conservative christians, using the movie to prove that there is a war against their religion.

since when did christians need "proof" of anything?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby LeFlambeur on Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:43 am

The Ginger Man wrote:
Ribbons wrote:

Yeah...I thought I'd just leave that one be.

Sorry about the incoherency of that post. The whole "christian in office" thing was a joke that fell flat. I just find it strange whenever I hear christians complaining about how their religion is "under attack" in this country. The way they talk, you would think they were in the minority.
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby The Ginger Man on Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:26 pm

I know that most people here didn't take Massawyrm's review very seriously...but I just got back from seeing Happy Feet and would like to talk a bit more about it.

Straight off the bat, the film is not about God being dead. In regard to its religious message, it's about being weary of leaders who use religion to forward their personal beliefs and status. It's has a very gospel, anti-pharacies slant. And as Massawyrm should know (since he likes to reference his X-ianity), the Pharacies were bad. But if he did that, it would have ruined one of his review points...and that would also be bad.

To give him some credence, he's right about everything else. "A) there is nothing wrong with individuality, that society can actually benefit from it, B) the ecological devastation unknowingly caused by man on the environment and the need to stop it, C) the evils of keeping animals in captivity, D) it being okay to defy your elders for the sake of 'the truth.'â€
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Next

Return to Animation