Happy Feet

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Postby Flumm on Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:40 pm

bhAhahahahhahaahaha.

Ferngully.

....bwahahahhahahahhah.

*that sweetsad exhaling sound people make after reminscing via unexpectedly retro-ridiculous but fondly remembered input*

Phew.

Sorry, Ginger, you felled me straight back to 1992 for a few moments there.

Interesting summations. Especially the film craft of the movie, I think that's perhaps something that got lost in the controversey. And all the more relevant I think considering the expanding boundries and established limitations to look for with CGI as it grows, for those of us who pay to attention to these things anyway, I think.

I'm glad this has cropped up on my radar as of now, else it would likely have passed right underneath, I would say.

Babe 2: Pig In The City shall have to serve me in the mean time.

Looking forward to it.

Cheers, Ginger.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:45 pm

Flumm wrote:bhAhahahahhahaahaha.

Ferngully.

....bwahahahhahahahhah.

I almost hesitated in mentioning Ferngully, thinking it might be a good thing for us not to remember it. ;-)
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Dollar Bird on Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:00 am

Let me throw in some 2 cents here, too. I saw HP (as in Happy Feet, not Harry Potter—although there was the preview and it mainly was about people yelling) on Friday.

I have broadcast my thoughts on Massawyrm's reviews before in the talkback forum, so I won't go into detail here, but let me just say this: I prefer Vern.

As for Mwyrm's concerns. I agree with Ginger Man's assessment that the movie does have the underlying themes of environmentalism and the value of individuals. But anti-religious? Never in the movie do the characters say, "There is no Great 'Guin!" There are some old penguins who play the role of the leaders who adhere to a code which is never said to be from their god, but just how penguins are supposed to act. And at the end of the movie, when the main penguin comes back to tell everyone that humans ("aliens") are taking the fish he never says, "So, therefore our faith is a lie!" And in the end, the penguin leaders dance with the young ones and realize how much fun it is to dance. It's as anti-religious as "Footloose".

Now, the innudendo was pretty thick and I'm sure some parents are going to talk lowly to each other about a penguin inviting several other lady penguins to his throne of debauchery (or something like that) let alone all the talk of "let's make some eggs" and Prince's "Kiss" being one of the main songs in the movie. There was a lot of sex in that film, but most of it is going to go over the kid's heads. They're just going to know it's fun to dance and be nice to animals. I saw a ton of kids trying to tap dance on the way out of the movie. And that was nice to see.
Dollar Bird
GLIB

Postby Flumm on Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:14 am

The Ginger Man wrote:
Flumm wrote:bhAhahahahhahaahaha.

Ferngully.

....bwahahahhahahahhah.

I almost hesitated in mentioning Ferngully, thinking it might be a good thing for us not to remember it. ;-)

Good golly, indeeds.

And bad goodgully, and fer to middling gully, also.

Don't fight it.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:30 am

that is actually one of my daughter's favorite animated movies. she is 14 now, but she first saw it back when she was just a wee younglin' and she and her mother still watch it together to this day.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Flumm on Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:57 am

If I wasn't posturing in such a manly man type fashion, that could possibly be desbribed as "aww" type material, Peven.

Also if teh Ginger hadn't reminded me of it actually, it would likely have remained in the fuzzy VHS vaults of my nostalgia locked memory, never to be unearthed.

And I wish I could say that I watched those above clips without emotionally buckling, even if it was only inwardly and the littlest bit, yet just the most gentle and distant memories of being seven years old can usurp the most brittle of pseudo manly man type posturings, I suppose.

But then again, maybe with their their pixally-principled, eco-friendly, inter-toon, toxic-love type love-ins, that's just what they WANTED me to think...

You know, which would be okay.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:10 pm

As a last hurrah to the Thanksgiving holiday, my mom and I went to see "Happy Feet." The trailers and that little dancing penguin just kept on until I relented. I had been really unimpressed with the previews they showed at ComicCon and I really knocked it when I wrote that recap for Film Ick. I take it all back, Happy Feet!

It's cute, clever and it packs a punch in the Lesson to Learn department. Let me say now that I am absolutely appalled that Massawyrm took this film to be some kind of subversive bash on Christianity. Of course, die-hard born agains see the lions everywhere. It's much more comfortable to think everyone's keeping your faith down rather than see the *real* lions--like the ones "Happy Feet" shows you. Humans are killing off the planet. If you kill the ice and the penguins, you'll end up killing yourself. And God might not be too happy about that. But hey--it's easier to think Elijah Wood's blue-eyed penguin is brainwashing your children into athiesm. Sheesh. :roll:

The animation is just eye-poppingly good. They managed to make a film every bit as beautiful as "March of the Penguins" was, but with CGI. I had a hard time believing the killer whales weren't real.

All the voice actors are alot of fun, with the possible exception of Brittney Murphy, but I dislike her anyway. Even Robin Williams managed to keep it down. Hugh Jackman's Memphis is ultra corny but it worked--and he has a nice duet with Nicole Kidman that had to be a homage to "Moulin Rouge." (The fact they sing prince was, frankly, kind of hot. And I hate Prince.) One thing I had really hated in the preview was the use of modern music. But it comes off alot more clever in the film, more "Moulin Rouge" than "Shrek." I could have stood for less R&B and a little more rock though.

It's definitely worth an afternoon, go see it.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby justcheckin on Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:50 pm

Alright, I saw Happy Feet. I really liked it for the most part. It was cute with undertones for adults like most cartoon types are.

Technically speaking, I thought there was a big jump in the smoothness of the story line when mumbles was in the zoo environment to when he goes back with the tracking device. It did not flow well there.

It was a good film and I would buy it when it comes out on DVD. Good times...
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:30 pm

I saw it too and I gotta say....It IS just a Footloose rip off. Very few parts were really funny (most of them where in the commercials). And it was a bit preachy in the Ferngully way, but not near as bad as that review. I enjoyed it for what it was. I really enjoyed how they blended some of the songs together, but felt that Let's Talk About Sex might not have been the best song to put in a kids movie. Though they changed it to lets talk about eggs...

On another hot topic, did anyone notice that all the short penguins were of Spanish decent? Now everybody yell about that.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Thurman Murman on Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:42 pm

Well I liked it, Granny fell asleep and snored the whole time but it didn't stop me from dancing about and enjoying the film.
Thurman Murman
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby justcheckin on Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:00 am

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
On another hot topic, did anyone notice that all the short penguins were of Spanish decent? Now everybody yell about that.

Yes... it seemed like it was almost stereotyping there... I think there may have been some political undertones there as well.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:02 am

Were the backsides of the short penguins damp in any way?
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby justcheckin on Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:06 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Were the backsides of the short penguins damp in any way?

Only when they got out of the water... they had pretty good rhythm!
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:36 pm

i was very critical of Massawyrm's review of this film before i had seen it simply because i disliked his rationale for bashing it. well, i saw it last night and now i have even more disdain for that dumbass redneck's rant. seriously, i LOVED "Happy Feet". the animation was gorgeous, there were some good laughs, cool dance numbers and music, some real thrills, and a great story with a message that any good parent should want their kid to be exposed to, imo. Mumble, the main character, displays great courage and loyalty to his "people" even after they shun him for being different. it is a hero's story, a hero who saves his kind even after being made an outcast by them. i think Mory is right on the money putting it in his "excellent" category.

after coming home from the theatre last night, mulling over the film and still feeling the buzz of the great experience it was, i thought of Massawyrm's shit review and i started to wonder what the hell is H@rry thinking letting someone so obviously stupid as fuck reviewing movies on his site. i know, i sound judgemental as hell here, but damn, i can't come to any other conclusion than Massawyrm is a simple-minded fucktard who sits in his trailer every night watching Dukes of Hazzard reruns talking about how they just don't make quality tv shows like they used to.
Last edited by Peven on Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:59 pm

Peven wrote:i was very critical of Massawyrm's review of this film before i had seen it simply because i disliked his rationale for bashing it. well, i saw it last night and now, i have even more disdain for that dumbass redneck's rant. seriously, i LOVED "Happy Feet". the animation was gorgeous, there were some good laughs, cool dance numbers and music, some real thrills, and a great story with a message that any good parent should want their kid to be exposed to, imo. Mumble, the main character, displays great courage and loyalty to his "people" even after they shun him for being different. it is a hero's story, a hero who saves his kind even after being made an outcast by them. i think Mory is right on the money putting it in his "excellent" catagory.

after coming home from the theatre last night, mulling over the film and still feeling the buzz of the great experience it was, i thought of Massawyrm's shit review and i started to wonder what the hell is H@rry thinking letting someone so obviously stupid as fuck reviewing movies on his site. i know, i sound judgemental as hell here, but damn, i can't come to any other conclusion than Massawyrm is a simple-minded fucktard who sits in his trailer every night watching Dukes of Hazzard reruns talking about how they just don't make quality tv shows like they used to.

but have you sacrificed any babies to satan since you saw the movie? that's the real test of this film's supposed anti-christian message, i think.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:15 pm

that's just it, Bax, someone would have to be a seriously paranoid, inbred, bible-thumping, viper-handling, Rapture loving fuck to see "Happy Feet" as anti-Christian.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:12 pm

Holy crappa... the Dino, he's a just a catching up onna this a thread, eh?

After taking alla the bambinos to see this a movie, I gonna have a to say that a the Massawyrm?

He RIGHT. ONNA. THE MONEY.

Some of a the best CGI inna the films (take a THAT, Pixar), but a she's a wasted inna this a horrible movie, no?

Holy crappa iffa I dinna to know better, I almost a think she's a one of a mine from a my 80s period, eh? Hehehe...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:07 pm

Amen, Dino - took my godson to see this yesterday. He came out of the movie and said he wished he had a remote control so he could have fast forwarded through the film.

This kid is six years old.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:18 pm

well, i saw it in a packed house, with all sorts of little kids present and throughout the movie, as well as when the final credits rolled, i heard nothing but positive reaction. my 4 kids, ages 9 through 15, all loved it as well. and considering my 15 yr old son is at that "everything is stupid" stage that is saying something. one of the first things my 9 yr old said as we were walking out of the theatre was "Dad, we have GOT to buy that on dvd", as a matter of fact.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:24 pm

well, i haven't seen it, so i can't speak for the movie itself. all i know is, the last time i went to the theater, the movie was letting out, and all the kids immediately ran out of the theater, grabbed a goat, and sacrificed it on a black altar to the dark lord Satan.

so don't say massa didn't warn you.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:10 pm

Peven, I'm a glad a you like a the film, eh? But you have a to agree that a the Massawyrm, he correct inna saying that a the movie, she was a sold as a being some kind of a the happy dancing penguin a movie, anna then when a they get alla the putzes inna the theater, they pull a the old bait anna switch anna give a you some potentially disturbing movie with a the subplots anna subtext a that a you might not think is approrpriate for a the little ones, eh? Like a say, 7 anna under perhaps... whereas a they be able to handle a the movie about a the happy dancing penguin just a fine, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:13 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Peven, I'm a glad a you like a the film, eh? But you have a to agree that a the Massawyrm, he correct inna saying that a the movie, she was a sold as a being some kind of a the happy dancing penguin a movie, anna then when a they get alla the putzes inna the theater, they pull a the old bait anna switch anna give a you some potentially disturbing movie with a the subplots anna subtext a that a you might not think is approrpriate for a the little ones, eh? Like a say, 7 anna under perhaps... whereas a they be able to handle a the movie about a the happy dancing penguin just a fine, no?

are you saying giada isn't old enough yet to handle the subtext in this film?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:33 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Peven, I'm a glad a you like a the film, eh? But you have a to agree that a the Massawyrm, he correct inna saying that a the movie, she was a sold as a being some kind of a the happy dancing penguin a movie, anna then when a they get alla the putzes inna the theater, they pull a the old bait anna switch anna give a you some potentially disturbing movie with a the subplots anna subtext a that a you might not think is approrpriate for a the little ones, eh? Like a say, 7 anna under perhaps... whereas a they be able to handle a the movie about a the happy dancing penguin just a fine, no?

i think you could say that about a lot of kids movies, including most that are considered classics. imo, any good story, inlcuding a kids' story, should have a theme, a moral, a message; it should SAY something. i also don't think the subtext or issues were all that dangerous or innappropriate for kids, inlcuding those under 7. that is, unless people still subscribe to keeping reality from kids and feeding them stories about babies coming from the stork and such. is the issue of how humans are hurting the environment and that animals suffer for it wrong to expose to kids? is the issue of being true to oneself and being loyal to one's friends and family not appropriate for kids? with all due respect, i fail to see any of the supposed "innappropriate" subtexts or plots. in fact, i found all the subtext and plots much more appropriate for kids than much of the subject matter in the Bible, which while supposedly good and wholesome for our kids contains all sorts of killing, sex, etc, etc.
Last edited by Peven on Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:33 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Some of a the best CGI inna the films (take a THAT, Pixar), but a she's a wasted inna this a horrible movie, no?

Holy crappa iffa I dinna to know better, I almost a think she's a one of a mine from a my 80s period, eh?

Wait, I thought you said the movie was bad...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:40 pm

was Toy Story just about some talking toys? were people bamboozled, bait-and-switched, into taking their kids to see that? was Lion King just about some cute fuzzy talking animals? was Pinnochio just about a talking puppet? kids movies are always sold for the fun actor, but the best ones always have something more going on wth them too.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:47 pm

Another good recent example of the ol' bait-and-switch is The Incredibles, whose marketing made the movie seem kinda goofy (teaser trailer for example was just Mr. Incredible trying to get his belt on) when it wasn't really like that all. Kids and parents seemed to handle that one okay, although the subject matter was arguably less controversial.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:54 pm

Phantom Menace was a huge bait-and-switch. the trailer for it made it look like a good movie.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:55 pm

Ba-ZING!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:55 pm

Ribbons, could you fill me in on what you perceive as the controversial content in Happy Feet. seriously, there is NOT any anti-religious subtext going on. questioning authority when one's own experience differs from what authority claims is not anti-religious, and it isn't the God-like Great Penguin that is questioned, in fact the main character never once displays any sign he doesn't believe in said Great Penguin. all he says is that he doesn't blame the Great Penguin for the famine, and that it is the humans fault instead. it is the corrupt leader of the penguins that is exposed, who has been knowingly misleading everyone by telling them that the famine is the will of the Great Penguin.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:56 pm

TheBaxter wrote:Phantom Menace was a huge bait-and-switch. the trailer for it made it look like a good movie.

score!! :lol: :lol:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Peven wrote:Ribbons, could you fill me in on what you perceive as the controversial content in Happy Feet.

I don't know, I haven't seen it. I'm not accusing it of being controversial, just putting the "arguably" qualifier in there based on this discussion.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:51 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Peven wrote:Ribbons, could you fill me in on what you perceive as the controversial content in Happy Feet.

I don't know, I haven't seen it. I'm not accusing it of being controversial, just putting the "arguably" qualifier in there based on this discussion.

right, i figured you hadn't seen it. i was just wondering what impression you had of why it was controversial.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:07 pm

Peven wrote:Ribbons, could you fill me in on what you perceive as the controversial content in Happy Feet. seriously, there is NOT any anti-religious subtext going on.

Peven, paisan... with no due respect, go anna look uppa the definition of a the word subtext before a you post a your opinion, eh?

Holy crappa.
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Peven on Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:22 pm

Dino, just what about the film contains what you feel is anti-religious subtext?

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:26 pm

Honestly Peven, I donna think there's any point inna arguing about it, eh? You and I have a disagreed inna the past over a what's appropriate for a the bambinos, no? I donna see this is a gonna to turn out any different, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Peven on Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:31 pm

i don't even have any idea what of what you are referring to in the movie. it isn't a question of whther you and i agree on what is appropriate for kids, its a question of just what you are talking about being controversial. all i ask is that if you stick a label on a movie at least say, specifically, why you think that label applies. fair enough?

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:35 pm

Holy crappa Peven... I'm a the old man, eh? I only have a so many years left, anna I donna wanna to have a to spend them trying to lead a you inna some a kind of a the film appreciation class, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:38 pm

was it the part where they shaved the lion, strapped him to a table and stabbed him to death with a stone dagger?

oh wait, that was a different movie...
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:41 pm

well, if i am willing to walk you through pointing out how to follow a story you could return the favor by sharing some of your film experience. maybe you dozed a bit during the movie and got confused, causing you to mistakenly think there was some sort of anti-religious subtext when there was none? that would be much more forgiveable than simply misinterpreting the story, and i'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. :P

questioning authority does not an anti-religious subtext make. exposing a false prophet is also not anti-religious.

see, i agree that a movie that is actively attempting to debunk the concept of faith is not kids' fare, (where were you when the God thread was in full gear :wink: ) i just don't see anything like it in Happy Feet.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:58 pm

Peven... you're like a the kid inna the Emperor's New Clothes, eh? Asking a why the Emperor, he's a walking down a the street alla naked, eh?

Except inna this a case, the Emperor, he's a fully dressed...
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Peven on Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:07 pm

ok, i give up, you aren't going to address the issue. contrary to what you might think, i wasn't trying to be confrontational or start anything. really, i was honestly curious why someone i had perceived as pretty sharp saw something i had not. cest la vie. so goes my attempt at a little cerebral exchange.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:14 pm

Peven wrote:i was honestly curious why someone i had perceived as pretty sharp saw something i had not.

Ay, there's a the rub, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Peven on Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:30 pm

the rub? i guess. i happen to take an interest in other peoples' point of view, other perspectives, to help balance my own, keep from being too myopic. exchanging ideas and opinions helps keep people thinking and broadens horizons, at least imo. even if i walk away still in disagreement the effort is still worth it. the day i think my opinion, my pov, is too good to be unquestioned, untested, is the day i stop being able to grow and learn, and a sad day that will be indeed.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:39 pm

MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:40 pm

Its Penguins - you just can't trust their movies I've decided. If they aren't smuggling themselves out of Central Park Zoo, or trying to kill Batman (they should have taken lessons from Schumacher) - then they're inviting you into a movie unde false pretenses. I'm still smarting from March of the Penguins....I thought I'd signed up for cutesie, flopping in the water fun...only to watch one of them break an egg and then have to walk the long, cold and ultimately fatal walk of shame into the distance.

As a "cinematic moment that scarred me the most", it was right up there with Scott's chestburster, Quint getting munched and Pvt Goldberg's death.

Now, you tell me, the penguins feet, they are not-so-happy after all? :shock:

What is latin for "Avoid films with penguins" - I feel the urge for a new Herald coming on.....
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:01 pm

Okay, okay Peven... Keep inna mind, it's a been a what, like a 2 or 3 weeks a since a the Dino has a seen a the film, eh? Anna I donna have a the copy of a the script right inna front of a me, but offa the top of a my head...

You gotta the elders inna the penguin tribe, portrayed as a the pack of a the goddamn judgemental fundamentalist vultures practically, no? Preaching alla the fire anna brimstone anna saying that iffa the penguins donna believe inna the Guin, then a they blashphemous anna essentially damned, anna they gonna to bring a the ruin anna desolation to a the tribe.

You gotta the Robin Williams as a the flashy televangelist preacher, alla glitz anna style, taking alla the offerings from alla the other penguin putzes, who come a to him for a real advice anna help, alla the while he gives a them nothing but a the platitudes anna shacks uppa with as a many of a the lady penguins as a he can, eh? He's a like a the Jimmy Swaggart of a the penguins...

Inna both a cases, you gotta the idea of a the blind anna brainless flock, eh? Onna the one hand you gotta the flock worshipping the Great Guin with a no proof a that he even exists, other than a what a the elders say like "who else could have a made alla this a stuff, eh?" anna onna the other hand you got a the flock worshipping of a the false idol of a the Jimmy Swaggart... anna again, believing just a 'cos he say "who else gonna to bestow upon a me this magic six-pack a necklace, eh?"

Anna you got a the Mumble, who suppose a to be a the symbol for a the homosexuality anna reason, eh? Saying "it donna have a to be like a this, eh?" anna the elders saying "silence! you must a be banished from a the flock a so's a we donna get contaminated form alla your g@yness, eh?" Tolerance is a thematically not one of a the Christian Right's a strong points inna Hollywood, no?

Anna then you got a the Mumble saying he gonna get to a the bottom of a the fish shortage, using (gasp!) Science, Reason, anna Investigation, alla the while the Elders saying it's a the will of a the Great Guin anna he better not go anna anger the Guin lest he bring down alla the wrath anna lightning bolts anna such.

Anna THEN you gotta the goddamn Sea World, eh? Which a the Mumble, he land in after he think he died anna gone alla the way to Heaven, no? He sees a the light atta the end of a the tunnel, anna he think he inna the Pearly Gates. Anna inna fact, alla the penguins inna the Sea World, they think a they inna Heaven too, eh? Where alla is a well anna safe anna steady anna alla their needs, they taken care of, there's a no predators, they get alla the fish they can eat... it's alla good, no? There's only one little problem, eh? They alla become a the brainless non-thinkers with a no sense of a the free will (but holy goddamn crappa are a they happy to be there!) anna the Mumble, he basically go crazy anna lose his a mind a 'cos a the Heaven.

Nope... no anti-religious a sub-text there, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Peven on Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:03 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Image

:oops: oh man, that is going to be my next tattoo for sure. :wink: :lol:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby minstrel on Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:11 pm

I'm amazed. It must take a lot of work for Dino to type Dino-speak. Unless he's using a voice translator.

Or maybe he has software that does it for him. Hmmm.

:)
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Peven on Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:23 pm

Dino, i don't care what people say about you, your mind is still sharp as a tack. that is actually a pretty good synopsis, and quite insightful as well for the most part.

the movie certainly does have a subtext critical of those that claim to speak for God, but are really taking advantage of the populace's faith. if you classify the structure, the mechanics of "the church" as religion then i guess you could then call it anti-religious, or cautionary.

BUT, it makes no such attack on the faith in God.and makes no attempt to debubk the existence of God. in fact, Mumble has a line where he affirms his belief in the Great Penguin, he just doesn't believe that the famine is the Great Penguin's will. in the beginning of the movie, the Great Penguin is even depicted onscreen in the sky above the "tribe" of penguins.

so, i agree that the movie contains subtext which is critical of false prophets, those who claim to speak for God but really speak for their own selfish purposes, but i think that is a subtext that is ok for kids.

edit: i have to disagree on the Mumble=ghey thing, though. being that he is infatuated with the hottest penguin chic on the beach, and proclaims his desire to "make the egg" with her, and eventually gets her in the end of the movie. in fact, the most risque bit in the whole movie, imo, was near the beginning of the movie when he comes shooting out of the water and accidentally lands on top of her, and in the span of several second as they are flopping around trying to get their footing they hit about about every sexual postion, though for just a split second each. i bet if you put up screen caps of each fraction of a second of footage you would have some "joy of penguin sex" illustrations". :lol: still, it all happened so quickly i am sure only undersexed perverted dudes like myself noticed. :oops: :wink: :lol:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:35 pm

i think it's interesting that everyone who says it has an anti-religion message is equating what, from these descriptions, seems like an incredibly dopey, puritanical, over-the-top fundamentalist penguin-based religion with religion as a whole. do you think the makers of this film are trying to say that ALL religions are like that? or perhaps are they trying to say that only BAD religions are like that, and we should use our brains and our reason (that if you believe in god, then you believe god gave us) to learn the truth? does anyone who's disliked this film actually think the kind of "religion" and intolerance put on display here is a GOOD thing?

it'll be a while before i see this thing, so i have nothing to go on but other people's descriptions. on the other hand, i was shopping for xmas presents for my nieces the other day, and saw a whole bunch of Happy Feet penguins with t-shirts that said GOD IS DEAD on them, so maybe massa & co. are right after all.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

PreviousNext

Return to Animation