R.I.P. Scooby-Doo Creator

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

R.I.P. Scooby-Doo Creator

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:51 am

Holy crappa, another one, they bite a the dust, no?

Iwao Takamoto, the animation anna art director of a the dozens of a the Hanna-Barbera cartoons, he die from a the massive coronary yesterday, after suffering from a the respiratory complications.

This was a the guy who created the look of a the Scooby Doo anna the Flintstones anna the Jetsons anna alla those other guys, eh? He basically go anna define a the look of a the television animation for a the last a 40 years.

Here's a what a they say onna the CNN...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:53 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:53 am

Dino, are you trading other people's deaths for your own personal longer life...?

Either way, apparentely I grew up watching this guy's work - so it still saddens me...

RIP...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:58 am

havocSchultz wrote:Dino, are you trading other people's deaths for your own personal longer life...?

Tell a me about it... I keep a reading the obituaries every day a 'cos I'm expecting to see a my name inna there, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Wolfpack on Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:59 am

"Alright Shaggy. You and Scoob go that way. The girls and I will go this way." :wink:
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:45 pm

You learn something new every day. Hanna and Barbera got all the credit, while this guy Iwao Takamoto was the real mastermind behind so many character designs.

Relevant questions:

1. Will the ghost of Takamoto return to menace those meddling kids (or at least someone disguised as Takamoto's ghost)?

2. So Scooby-Doo and Astro were designed by a Japanese dude. Is this why they had trouble with their "R" pronunciation?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:14 pm

Wow. This tears me up. Scooby-Doo was my favorite show as a kid. I still have a collection of Scooby-Doo stuffed animals in my room.

He will be missed and remembered.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:17 pm

i would like to post Mark Evanier's pseudo obit as found at his blog. as, if there is going to be any obit written by someone who really knew the scoop with Takamoto, it is sure to be Evanier. it is also fairly good at setting the record straight, as it were.

Mark Evanier wrote:Obits for Iwao Takamoto (like this one) are all over the web and some of them are pretty loose with their assignment of credits. Most say Iwao was the creator of Scooby Doo...an honor that has also been (at different times) claimed by or attributed to Joe Barbera, Fred Silverman and the writer-producer team of Joe Ruby and Ken Spears. As far as I know, Iwao himself never claimed to have done any more than design the look of that show and its characters...and even then, he was the main designer, not the only one.

Several wire stories also say that Iwao named the dog, having been inspired by the portion of the record, "Strangers in the Night" where Sinatra warbled, "Scooby dooby doo..." I don't think Iwao did that and I don't think Iwao ever claimed he had. Everyone has always given credit for the naming to Fred Silverman, who was then the CBS exec in charge of Saturday morning. (And I've always wondered if he isn't misremembering; if the record in question wasn't "Denise," a medium-sized hit by Randy and the Rainbows. Here's a link — which may not work for all browsers — to a few seconds of that classic recording. What Frank sang in "Strangers in the Night" sounded more like "Shooby dooby doo...")

In any case, I wish people didn't use words like "creator" and "created by" so casually. To give someone credit for something they didn't create is to deny it to someone who did. That has personal ramifications and these days, it may also have legal and compensatory ones, as well.

Iwao was a brilliantly talented artist. It's too bad more of you haven't seen his original concept and presentation drawings, which often far exceeded anything that made it onto your TV screens. And he did come up with the basic and/or final design of more popular TV cartoon characters than almost anyone else. He never wanted, nor does his memory require credit for things he didn't do.

R.I.P. dead buddy.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Wolfpack on Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:47 pm

In answer to buster00's 1st question, I'm betting that it will be Mr. Stevenson (who would have gotten away with it), the gardener. Apparently he's been planting some huge bricks of hash beneath those zucchini plants.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Orcus on Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:50 pm

The odd thing is that the pall bearers passed the same piece of scenery 12 times
"Where's you're God noooooow???!!"
Orcus
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby DennisMM on Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:52 pm

Takamoto was open about not being the creator of the characters he drew. Others handed him concepts; he turned them into visuals. "A mop-haired, gangly idiot" became what we all know as Shaggy. I find most post-'50s H-B tedious, but I must offer my condolences to Takamoto's family. The man had class.
Last edited by DennisMM on Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:57 pm

First Barbera and now Iwao Takamoto. I think someone is getting rid of the Hanna-Barbera people. Beware Cartoon Network!!

And RIP. Sad times indeed...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Brocktune on Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:00 pm

Orcus wrote:The odd thing is that the pall bearers passed the same piece of scenery 12 times

hahahaha

hanna-barbera wrote the very bible used by every animation studio in korea.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Orcus on Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:03 pm

What was even weider was they made that BOINKA BOINKA BOINKA noise
"Where's you're God noooooow???!!"
Orcus
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby buster00 on Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:11 am

Mark Evanier wrote: Most say Iwao was the creator of Scooby Doo...an honor that has also been (at different times) claimed by or attributed to Joe Barbera, Fred Silverman and the writer-producer team of Joe Ruby and Ken Spears.

And I'm glad someone (thanks, brocktune) brought this up. It had been my understanding that Ruby and Spears came up with "Scooby-Doo" (with Hanna and Barbera getting all the credit).

Like the man said, you learn something every day.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:14 am

ZOIIKS! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Wolfpack on Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:24 am

Will his biography be called Letters from Iwao Jima?
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:06 pm

doc & wolf, ipampilash to you both.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:11 pm

is he the same man who created Scrappy???? :evil:
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Return to Animation