Batman: The Animated Series

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Are the Batman animations any good?

Yes
88%
No
No votes
DDDAAAAFFFFOOOODDDDIIIIILLLLSSSS!!!!
12%

Total votes : 17

Postby silentbobafett on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:02 am

Been wanting to get into this for a while. I saw the Animated Movie (Mask of the Phanthasm) years ago.

But there are so many Batman cartoon series out there now I don't want to get the wrong one!

I want the most adult, ass kicking, Batman comcis style one out there.

What should I pick up?

Hopefully this can turn into a thread to discuss all things Animated Batman :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby colonel_lugz on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:06 am

I used to watch Batman on cartoon network and it was pretty damn good. lots of good voice work from the likes of Mark Hamill and Ron Pearlman.

I never got into Batman Of The Future, it just did'nt grab me and I hated the skinny Batman.

I have yet to watch 'The Batman' but I have heard mixed reviews
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:07 am

First series. It was pretty groundbreaking at the time in terms of television animation quality, and frankly as an artistic exercise has really yet to be beaten - naturally paving the way for the remade Superman and X-men cartoons.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:14 am

So I'm looking for,a s obvious as it sounds: Batman: The Animated Series

Where does Mask of the Phantasm fall? Before series 1, after, during or not related in the slightest? :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:26 am

Mask doesn't really have a spot in the timeline per se.

I highly recommend te entire animated show including the later Batman-Superman hour.
It's all easily the best representation of Batman outside of the Comics.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:09 pm

Niiice! Thanks! I'll do that come payday! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:23 pm

There are 65 episodes of "Batman: The Animated Series". Then comes Mask of the Phantasm (which was going to be the series finale).

After that it changed and became "The Adventures of Batman & Robin" and then changed again to "The New Adventures of Batman". These later two incarnations weren't really as good as TAS. But worthwhile none the less.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:30 pm

Fried Gold wrote:There are 65 episodes of "Batman: The Animated Series". Then comes Mask of the Phantasm (which was going to be the series finale).

After that it changed and became "The Adventures of Batman & Robin" and then changed again to "The New Adventures of Batman". These later two incarnations weren't really as good as TAS. But worthwhile none the less.

Here I disagree while certain aspects of the show did not improve when it became The New Adventures (the Joker's design for instance) some of the best episodes ever produced for WB are in these later series ( "Never Fear", "Over the Edge", and "Legends of the Dark Knight" for instance. Not to mention Superman crossovers like "World's Finest" and "Knight Time" ). The move from Fox to the WB channel definitely helped improve the show as well as certain restrictions on violence etc were lifted.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:48 am

Ahhh some good topical geek conversaton for once! It's been a while! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:00 am

Get the first season. That's all you need.

Avoid the early 70's Filmation-produced "Batman and Robin" series. It's head.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby lujho on Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:47 pm

God, I would kill for Dini, Timm & Burnett to return to this universe... prequel style.

When BTAS starts, Batman's about, I'd say 35, and has been Batman for about 10 years. They could do a series that fills in the gap between his origin in MOTP and the start of the regular series.

Make it even better than before, more adult and mature, better animated than BTAS. Take the character designs back to something more like the original series version, BUT make them more realistic... more realistic proportions, maybe some shading, but keep the faces mostly the same. Definitely keep the same cast, of course.

Only use villains who were not first met by Batman in the existing series. That means you can have Joker, Harvey Dent (but NOT 2-face), Thorne etc.

Stay as true to existing continuity as possible. Have the entire first season be an expanded adaptation of "Year One". Keep Mask of the Phantasm in continuity but perhaps briefly re-tell certain bits focusing on different aspects. Keep it more grounded, realistic, low key. Crime noir stuff - no or very little sci-fi or fantasy. Gangsters and maniacs, but not monsters and mutants. Borrow a lot from Year One, Long Halloween etc (don't adapt Loeb and Sale's stuff directly but use their themes of the tension between Bats, the Mob and the new "freak" villains, and the fall of the mob and the rise of the freaks).

Re-tell bits of Robin's origin, as seen in Robin's Reckoning, but again, with a different focus to avoid redundancy. Then we (finally) get to see a young Robin grow in to the man we see him become.

Definitely Keep Walker's musical themes. Ditch the Elfman stuff (BTAS only used Elfman's stuff for the opening titles and a handful of snippets in a few episodes anyway).

If not a series the a series of DTV movies. Or (never happen, of course) top budget theatrical movies.\

It just totally gets me that there is 10 years of almost comppletely untold BTAS continuity. I always loved the glimpses of it that we got in a few episodes of BTAS. I'd love to see it fleshed out and it's a great way to return to the universe.... the other option being to continue on from after JLU with an older Batman, but a younger Batman has more potential IMO. Of course, "The Batman" (which I don't actually mind) covers this same timeframe, but it's a completely different, Kid-friendly approach. All this is just wishful thinking anyway. It'll never happen, but I'd love to at least chat with Timm, Dini or Burnett about the idea.
Luke
lujho
GLIB

Postby Evil Hobbit on Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:45 am

BTAS is an amazing show, I am now 21 and I remember watching this show on saturday mornings. It scared the crap out of me. 8)
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu May 15, 2008 9:32 pm

reposting from locked thread. Seems like a decent place to address the tonal difference between TAS and Nolan's films. With regard to how Two-Face will be handled, feel free to post specifically about that in the Dark Knight thread (Movie News)

Matrowl wrote:on't get me wrong, I loved Batman Begins and Dark Knight looks awsome. But sometimes I feel like Nolan's attempt to make this series feel so realistic takes a little away from what makes the Batman universe so appealing in the first place. At his best, Batman is an operatic, larger than life figure-- a tragic hero out of the best mythology. Villains like the Joker are likewise appropriately over the top.

Okay, so I've never read a comic book in my life, but I'm a huge fan of the 1993 animated series, which I still think is the definitive depiction of the Dark Knight.

Oh, and by the way, Two Face better be treated as the tragic and complex villain that he's meant to be, not pushed back as a secondary villain like the Scarecrow in Begins.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby bastard_robo on Thu May 15, 2008 10:42 pm

I love the WB batmans!

I own almost the entire series on DVD. Along with SUPERMAN and Justice Leauge!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu May 15, 2008 11:45 pm

bastard_robo wrote:I love the WB batmans!

We finally have common ground BR. I love BTAS and I think it's the single best depiction of the characters ever. I also love SUperman and the later BB, JL, JLU stuff as well.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Thu May 15, 2008 11:55 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:I love the WB batmans!

We finally have common ground BR. I love BTAS and I think it's the single best depiction of the characters ever. I also love SUperman and the later BB, JL, JLU stuff as well.

Agreed.

I also agree with WIZARD MAGAZINE'S poll on who is the greatest Batman of all time, that Kevin Conroy is the best Batman of all time! Even though he's never stepped into the costume!

If only BATMAN could bring together Israelis and Palestinians, then Truly the world would be great!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Matrowl on Fri May 16, 2008 12:54 am

The most powerful Batman scene ever is in Mask of the Phantasm, where Bruce pleads at his parents' grave to break his vow because he has a chance to be happy. That to me is the true essence of the Batman character: a man compelled to do what he does out of guilt and duty because he has nothing else left. The animated series aspired to mythology in a way that hasn't been attempted on screen since.
Matrowl
GLIB

Postby bastard_robo on Fri May 16, 2008 1:05 am

Looking back, Im really fucking glad that my dad took my bro and myself to see that in its theatrical run.

That movie is just fucking fantastic! None of the other DTV movies have yet to touch it!
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri May 16, 2008 1:16 am

Exactly. The Joker is at his BTAS peak in Phantasm and only surpasses it in the flashback in BBROTJ. Mask of the Phantasm is just top notch.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Fri May 16, 2008 1:59 am

I actually prefer the JOKERS back story here than what the comic conjured up for him
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby JpPrewitt789 on Fri May 16, 2008 8:34 am

colonel_lugz wrote:I have yet to watch 'The Batman' but I have heard mixed reviews

I've watched it a couple of times. They've taken it upon themselves to redesign EVERY frickin villain. And the joker design is HORRIBLE. I just hate that joker.

He's like a monkey or some shit...

Oh and I freaking loved Return of the Joker. It was worth the entire Batman Beyond series just for that 15 minnute Barbara Gordon flashback.
JpPrewitt789
REAL DRAGON

Postby Ribbons on Fri May 16, 2008 11:01 am

Awesome bump Moo. I was just thinking about how I wished I owned this series the other day, I caught a re-run when channel surfing. It was so well-written and, as a superhero adaptation, aspired to a cinematic scale that I don't think films could do quite yet and cartoons could have done before.

bastard_robo wrote:I also agree with WIZARD MAGAZINE'S poll on who is the greatest Batman of all time, that Kevin Conroy is the best Batman of all time! Even though he's never stepped into the costume!!

I'd have a hard time saying there can ever be a definitive version of characters who are constantly in flux, but I definitely agree with this. And although Nicholson and, from the looks of it, Ledger provide some stiff competition, Mark Hamill's Joker was pretty iconic as well. Of course they would never have worked in live action because of the arch quality of both their voices, but that quality was precisely why they worked so well, IMO -- which is interesting considering the question that precipitated this bump.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby buster00 on Mon May 19, 2008 6:32 pm

JpPrewitt789 wrote:
colonel_lugz wrote:I have yet to watch 'The Batman' but I have heard mixed reviews

I've watched it a couple of times. They've taken it upon themselves to redesign EVERY frickin villain. And the joker design is HORRIBLE. I just hate that joker.

Holy shit, you ain't kiddin'.

The Riddler design on that show is just as stupid:

buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Mon May 19, 2008 11:33 pm

THE BATMAN was kinda weak sauce the first season, When Greg Wismen took over as show runner, the show started getting much better. It never matched the Dini/Timm version, but it did make an effort to be at least a decent show in the end.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby hackett on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:17 pm

BTAS (the dini/timm version) pretty much consumed a huge chunk of my childhood. I love how they crafted an episodic series as well as they did.... after the Twilight Zone it's probably my favorite episodic series of all time. Obviously the Joker / Harley were the talk of the town with that series, but I was really amazed by how great the Riddler was.

It's probably the only time anyone has made a successful version of the Riddler throughout. (the 60s Batman had him right and then made him more slapsticky and i hated the Carrey adaptation)

As for The Batman, the whole flow of the show was off. The villians were fairly interchangable and Bruce Wayne didn't have much of the same range. I felt like it was 22 minutes devoted to get kids to buy Batman toys.

A good amount of people from the series actually work on lost right now... doesn't shock me.

Image[/img]
http://vimeo.com/pandachase - now in technicolor
hackett
MONKEY BUTLER

Re: Batman: The Animated Series Writers Bible

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:55 pm

From io9:
"This Is Batman, Not Jonathan Swift"
Here's an easy way to lose an afternoon: Someone has put the Writer's Bible for Batman: The Animates Series online, including never-revealed backstory and 22 early ideas for episodes. [Batman: The Animated Series Writers Bible PDF]
Last edited by TheButcher on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Batman: The Animated Series

Postby snlich on Fri May 07, 2010 6:02 pm

This series was just absolute genius, as well as the film. This is one of those shows that I can still watch today and enjoy, not just for nostalgia.
snlich
GLIB

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:50 pm

Gotham High - Be Grateful This Batman Highschool Drama Never Happened

Behold, Gotham High, a re-imagining of Batman as an animated high-school drama with Bruce Wayne attending classes with pubescent versions of all his worst enemies.

The Story Synopsis: We all go through incredible changes as teenagers: growth spurts, bad skin, a sudden insatiable need to uphold justice and avenge your murdered parents…. Well, that is if you’re Bruce Wayne. As if being a freshman at Gotham High wasn’t tough enough, Bruce’s insomnia and technological fascinations are taking their toll. Instead of spending his time studying, he has begun to obsess over an emerging personality trait: Batman. But under the watchful eye of his guardian and steward, Alfred Pennyworth, Bruce is forced to put his intelligence to good use: graduating high school. But given his classmates, can Bruce survive Gotham High?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:56 pm

OMG ... what a shitty idea. Brutal.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby so sorry on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:02 pm

I'd like to think that "the studio" realized this was a really really stupid idea. But more likely they had some budgetary or timing issue that cancelled it.

But yeah, stupid as fuck I say.

Although a teen-toon-drawn Harley quinn and Poison Ivy does get me a little aroused. :shock:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:17 pm

Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby The Vicar on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:21 pm

Jesus wept.
Then he went out and got shitfaced.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:16 am

I actually thought it seemed like a cool little idea. I don't know how long you could sustain it, but I thought it had potential.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby The Garbage Man on Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:18 pm

So basically Batman in the "X-Men: Evolution" mold. God knows Bats has survived worse adaptations over the years (one of the greatest testaments to the strength of the character, IMO) but I have a visceral, negative reaction to those designs. From what I understand of the concept, Wayne wouldn't have actually put on the suit so yeah, sustainability might've been a big problem for the series.

Oh, who am I kidding?
I would've watched the shit out of this.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:01 pm

Warner Bros. Reveal Their Logo And Unveil Their Plans For Celebrating Batman’s 75th
Animation – Warner Bros. Animation has created two all-new Batman animated shorts set for debut in April, with fan-favorite producers Bruce Timm (Batman: The Animated Series) and Darwyn Cooke (Batman Beyond) each presenting a unique and familiar take on the Batman animated universe. In addition, Timm will participate in a Batman 75th all-star panel at WonderCon in Anaheim on Saturday, April 19, which will also feature an exclusive premiere of Cooke’s animated short based upon Batman Beyond.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:26 am

First Look At BATMAN: STRANGE DAYS
WB and Cartoon Network have released the first sneak peak of an all-new DC Nation animated short from Bruce Timm. Not much information is given, but any fan of Bruce Timm should be ecstatic for this!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:55 am

"Batman: Strange Days" - Bruce Timm's Batman 75th Anniversary Short (Official)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:35 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Animation