WALL•E

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

On a scale of 011010 to 1001011, how would you rate WALL•E?

49%
24%
8%
3%
5%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
*DOES NOT COMPUTE* (Will not be seeing this in theaters)
No votes
I miss Flumm... :'(
11%

Total votes : 37

Re: WALL•E (Now w• 100•/• More TRAIL•R!)

Postby Maui on Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:22 pm

No doubt Walle will be great and I'll be heading to the theatres to see it but I'm just more excited about UP which will be released in May.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Nordling on Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:00 pm

Seeing Sunday in Austin. Bringing the kid. Can't wait.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:44 pm

Nordling wrote:Seeing Sunday in Austin. Bringing the kid. Can't wait.

Awesome, let us all know your thoughts on this film.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Nordling on Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:35 am

A complete masterpiece. Review forthcoming.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Re: WALL•E REVIEW THREAD (BEWARE SPOILERS!)

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:57 pm

Now that reviews are going to be coming in, I've moved to Movie Reviews.

Beware Spoilers going forward...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Nordling on Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:00 pm

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37098

A snippet from my review is there, the first paragraph.

We've been embargoed... but I could talk for hours about this film. Hopefully my full review will be up in a couple of days.

The short before it, PRESTO, is Chuck Jones-inspired lunacy and it's the funniest short so far in Pixar's catalog.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:01 pm

Awesome. I love Chuck Jones style work so I look forward to that short.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:05 pm

I will say this... the trailers only hint at the scope of this film. Other than a few shots, it's almost entirely within the first third.

It is high science fiction on the order of 2001.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby bluebottle on Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:06 pm

Nordling wrote:I will say this... the trailers only hint at the scope of this film. Other than a few shots, it's almost entirely within the first third.

It is high science fiction on the order of 2001.

So, I should see it stoned?
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby dablunt89 on Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:40 pm

This may have been covered before, but is there any chance this is going on IMAX? I looked at the site and it wasn't up there, which is very disappointing, but maybe it will be in a week or so. This movie looks too gorgeous for a normal theatre. If not IMAX then something exactly like it but just a different company. I must see this is a huge room with huge speakers and be stoned!
It doesn't have to make sense to be intense.
dablunt89
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:42 pm

dablunt89 wrote:This may have been covered before, but is there any chance this is going on IMAX? I looked at the site and it wasn't up there, which is very disappointing, but maybe it will be in a week or so. This movie looks too gorgeous for a normal theatre. If not IMAX then something exactly like it but just a different company. I must see this is a huge room with huge speakers and be stoned!

I'm surprised but I haven't heard ANYTHING about an "IMAX Experience" for Wall-E. Seems like it'd be a perfect fit. I googled it and nothing came up in the first page of results about it either.

Anyone hear anything about Wall-E on IMAX?
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:51 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
dablunt89 wrote:This may have been covered before, but is there any chance this is going on IMAX? I looked at the site and it wasn't up there, which is very disappointing, but maybe it will be in a week or so. This movie looks too gorgeous for a normal theatre. If not IMAX then something exactly like it but just a different company. I must see this is a huge room with huge speakers and be stoned!

I'm surprised but I haven't heard ANYTHING about an "IMAX Experience" for Wall-E. Seems like it'd be a perfect fit. I googled it and nothing came up in the first page of results about it either.

Anyone hear anything about Wall-E on IMAX?

Reasker. I cannot find any info regarding this...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Re: WALL•E REV•U THREAD (SPOIL•RS!)

Postby Nordling on Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:18 am

Does Disney normally have IMAX screenings? I don't remember if they have.

This movie continues to grow in excellence in my mind.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:26 am

Nordling wrote:Does Disney normally have IMAX screenings? I don't remember if they have.

This movie continues to grow in excellence in my mind.

Yes but will it make me tear up like Dash realizing he can run across water or when the Iron Giant says "Superman"...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Nordling on Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:30 am

I had at least three moments like that.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:35 am

Yay!!
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Nordling on Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:40 am

I'm going to post my review since it's been a couple of days. Beware spoilers.

I have to pace myself. I have to pull it back. I've been guilty of overloading on superlatives before, and I can't tell you how difficult it is right now for me. Because I could easily dump them right now.

Today I drove over 300+ miles back and forth, on Father's Day, my daughter in tow, to see a film about the dangers of environmental neglect. Don't think I don't recognize the irony in that. But every mile was worth it, even with today's gas prices.

I first got the WALL*E bug at BNAT last year, when Pixar brought a 15 minute presentation that pretty much knocked everyone on their collective asses. Beautifully rendered and touching, I was moved to tears pretty much the moment the first images of WALL*E and EVE hit the screen. When WALL*E touched the rings of Saturn, I kind of lost it. Massawyrm made fun of me for the rest of BNAT and today the first thing he said to me was "You gonna cry?" "Yeah, probably," was my response. But I I got more than I expected with WALL*E. I was expecting something beautiful, and emotional, and I got those, in spades, but what elevates WALL*E is the intelligence and the message that it has to say, urgently, even though the film has little dialogue. It's a true science fiction film, and although it's definitely a family film, the message isn't forced like you may think. It places no blame, it just lays out the situation and the film quietly becomes a call to arms about stewardship. And all of it is centered around a very unconventional love story, and it wouldn't work if the love story wasn't convincing.

It is many years in the future. Earth is abandoned, and all that is left is the detritus of our passing. The atmosphere is a dull brown, and sandstorms strike up from time to time. Our first views of Earth are to the music of HELLO DOLLY, which happens to be WALL*E's favorite musical, and he plays it while he fastidiously works to clean up the planet. Unfortunately, he's the only model working, so his work seems to be an exercise in futility. WALL*E is so lonely that he doesn't even realize it, but humanity - at least the remains of humanity - intrigues him, and he collects pieces that he finds interesting. One day he opens a refrigerator and sees a green sprout out of a mound of dirt. WALL*E takes it home with the rest of the pieces that he collects, and as he watches HELLO DOLLY he feels a yearning that he may not even understand, a real need for contact. He has a little cockroach for a companion, but it's not the same thing.

Then, something amazing happens. Another ship arrives, and with it is a robot called EVE, who looks strangely like an evolved iPod. As WALL*E tries to make contact with her, it becomes obvious that she is searching for something, something important. But WALL*E intrigues her, and so EVE allows WALL*E to show her around a bit. He shows her his collection, and plays HELLO DOLLY for her, but it's when WALL*E takes out the plant that she immediately takes possession of it and locks up. WALL*E tries to elicit a response from her, for days, with no avail, and then suddenly another ship arrives to take EVE away. WALL*E hitches a ride the ship to try to stay with the one companion he's found in all his years, and the drone takes them to the AXIOM, the last ship for humanity. Inside are robots of every shape you can imagine performing every subservient duty imaginable. Humanity has become slothful, in hoverchairs constantly looking at holoscreens, and have become so studly that if one falls out of their chair they kick around like a turtle until a helper robot picks them up. All around them they are marketed to and pandered to. All food is in cup form. And when EVE returns, with WALL*E in tow, it sets in motion a chain of events that just might ensure humanity's survival... or their demise.

I could talk about how amazing space looks in the film, or the insane imagery of the AXIOM as every human flies around in a world where advertising has exploded into a constant overstimulation of marketing, or the wonderful variety of the robots, including MO, the cleaner droid who follows WALL*E around because he's so filthy, or how the message of the film sneaks up on you, or how the love story between EVE and WALL*E is one of the single most beautiful love stories I've ever seen in a movie... but I can't. I lack the words, and the words I do have are cliche and I could probably be accused of hyperbole. Pixar is synonymous with perfection at this point.

The hell with it.

Masterpiece. That's it. That's truth in one word. WALL*E is a masterpiece. It tells its story with economy, with little dialogue, but there is no question what is going on. It's like a Buster Keaton silent film mixed with the wonder of the original STAR WARS and the morals of the best fables, except this moral is an imperative one, and one to which we must pay attention. It's emotional, but not overly so. For children, it is instantly accessible, maybe more so than a film with more dialogue, because it's from the character's actions that the story is propelled. WALL*E and EVE and the rest of the robots are unique characters and they do it with deeds, not words. The captain of the ship is even a terrific character, and he gets a wonderful 2001 moment towards the end of the film that had me cheering (I spied Harry during that moment and he was clapping so hard it must have hurt his arms).

And I haven't even talked about PRESTO! yet, the Pixar short that opens the film. A terrific amalgam of Chuck Jones lunacy about a magician, a rabbit, and his two magic hats. It's possibly the funniest Pixar short yet.

WALL*E will easily, easily be in my top ten this year, and if I see anything better then I'll mark 2008 as one of the best years for films ever. I know I'm being hyperbolic. I can't help it. I'm really trying to pull it back.

But I can't. WALL*E is a complete and utter masterpiece.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Evil Hobbit on Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:41 pm

Wowowowo, comparing a short with Chuck Jones. Can't frikkin wait! Tx for the review. How was the score by Thomas Newman? Any words on that? Have been looking forward to that almost as much as the film itself. July can't come soon enough 8-)

Edit: just saw that there are samples from the score online at: amazon. Sounds great, love that wall-e theme.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Nordling on Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:47 pm

Score's beautiful too, and the Peter Gabriel song is excellent as well. I love how they mix the HELLO DOLLY songs into the film and give them real resonance.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:21 pm

Nordling wrote:Score's beautiful too, and the Peter Gabriel song is excellent as well. I love how they mix the HELLO DOLLY songs into the film and give them real resonance.

Thats the first thing I noticed in the trailer was that he was watching Hello Dolly. Have I told you guys that when I was a kid I lived in a town with a population of 401 and my grandfather had a laser disk that was our only means of entertainment. Only problem was we only had Hello Dolly, Singing in the rain, Race for your life Charlie Brown, and Indiana Jones: ROTLA

Needless to say I have all of those movies memorized....
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:59 am

Over on the official Wall-E site, there is a game of cup shuffle (Three cups, which one is it under blah blah).
After each round you are treated to a short clip of the little fella. One of the clips is of him "breakdancing" which is one of the funniest things I have seen in a long time. http://www.wall-e.com
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Nordling on Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:39 pm

Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Evil Hobbit on Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:32 pm

The guy who makes these Harry animations is brilliant.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Nordling on Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:31 pm

Reviews are now hitting the web, looks like.

Ebert gives it 3 and a half stars.

Jeffrey Wells and David Poland both call it a "masterpiece." Hah, bitches, I was ahead of the curve on that.

There's one negative review on RT amidst about 50+ positive ones. 98% RT percentage.

I'm telling you now. If you don't see this in the theater, you're seriously doing yourself a disservice.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Nick on Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:43 pm

WALL-E is by far the best Pixar movie thus far in the way of storytelling. Only Pixar could have pulled off making a robot who does not speak seem more down to earth human than any other character (including 'humans') they have ever put on screen.

And that is saying something.

When it comes to computer animated flicks, there is Pixar then there is everybody else. Although I didn't like Cars or Rat as much as say Finding Nemo or Monsters, Inc. WALL-E blows them all out of the water.

The short in the beginning is also quite funny :)
-nick
Nick
AICN Crew

Postby djcribage on Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:07 pm

I submit to you, the Dreamworks Animation's version of Wall-E: http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/64f302b6e3

:lol:
djcribage
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:18 am

I feel like a kid again. WALL E is hands down in the top 3 of the best movies I've seen all year. This movie is the stamp that shows why Pixar is an emissary from GOD himself!

To make a movie about a robot, who looks like a blockier version of JOHNNY 5, and make me believe that he actually exist is a testament to the GENIUS that is Pixar. THEY MADE ME BELIEVE THAT ROBOTS CAN LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Bean on Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:28 am

I took my little brother to see this last night. I can echo what every one seems to be saying about this movie: it's a masterpiece. PIXAR made something really special here, I think it will quickly become a classic. It has more to it than I ever could imagine a supposedly kid's movie could have. It really shocked me, I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I sat in the theater. I asked myself after Monster's Inc, and The Incredibles (the last two Pixar movies I really liked, fuck Finding Nemo and I don't have any desire to see Cars or Ratatouille) how Pixar could possibly top themselves. Well now there's Wall E, and I will ask again: How can Pixar possibly top themselves with this? A movie with so much beauty and heart it took my breath away? I look forward to revisiting this thread when the next Pixar masterpiece comes, as I don't doubt for a second there will be more.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:32 am

I would also like to ad that PRESTO was 22 kinds of brilliant!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:49 pm

WALL•E knocked me on my ass. No small feat considering I was already sitting on it.

This film was beautiful. Not just in visuals (it was), but in concept, character, and theme. I have to say, this is the first Pixar film I can say I love. Toy Story was okay, the sequel not so much, I thought A Bug's Life was cute, Monsters, Inc. overrated, The Incredibles good (if a little long), and Finding Nemo passable. I didn't bother with Cars or Ratatouille. But throughout this entire film I either had a big smile planted on my face or my eyes were getting a little watery (yeah, I'm a big baby).

I went in expecting a cute little E.T. story but this movie is so much more. For a movie populated with a bunch of beeping robots, it said a lot about the human condition. It shows us an exaggerated future, but one that thematically seems eerily possible. Is this where we're headed? The human race is doomed to trash the planet and live out in the ether, becoming more and more complacent and dependent with each successive generation. The humans brought upon their own misfortune, but with the help of some spry robots, they also grab the brass ring that is their future.

And in the middle of all this is a sweet little puppy love story between WALL•E and EVE. This has to be one of the most simple yet effective love stories ever put to film. The romantic climax is about holding hands. That simple yet electric moment of contact with another being. A tenuous moment of intimacy. That's what the movie builds towards and it's brilliant.

This movie was all kinds of awesome and I can't wait to see it again. It gets a solid 9/10 from me, but it could easily turn into a 10/10 after I see it again. I just don't like to let myself get too carried away with enthusiasm for a movie right after I've seen it. Still, I can't praise this movie enough. GO SEE IT! Even if you don't have kids. Grab your wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend and SEE IT! You won't regret it!!! :mrgreen:

Oh, and stay through the credits! Not only does it display the origins of the New Age of Man in a cool way, but WALL•E agrees to join the Avenger Initiative!!! :wink:
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:14 pm

RogueScribner wrote:WALL•E knocked me on my ass. No small feat considering I was already sitting on it.

This film was beautiful. Not just in visuals (it was), but in concept, character, and theme. I have to say, this is the first Pixar film I can say I love. Toy Story was okay, the sequel not so much, I thought A Bug's Life was cute, Monsters, Inc. overrated, The Incredibles good (if a little long), and Finding Nemo passable. I didn't bother with Cars or Ratatouille. But throughout this entire film I either had a big smile planted on my face or my eyes were getting a little watery (yeah, I'm a big baby).

I went in expecting a cute little E.T. story but this movie is so much more. For a movie populated with a bunch of beeping robots, it said a lot about the human condition. It shows us an exaggerated future, but one that thematically seems eerily possible. Is this where we're headed? The human race is doomed to trash the planet and live out in the ether, becoming more and more complacent and dependent with each successive generation. The humans brought upon their own misfortune, but with the help of some spry robots, they also grab the brass ring that is their future.

And in the middle of all this is a sweet little puppy love story between WALL•E and EVE. This has to be one of the most simple yet effective love stories ever put to film. The romantic climax is about holding hands. That simple yet electric moment of contact with another being. A tenuous moment of intimacy. That's what the movie builds towards and it's brilliant.

This movie was all kinds of awesome and I can't wait to see it again. It gets a solid 9/10 from me, but it could easily turn into a 10/10 after I see it again. I just don't like to let myself get too carried away with enthusiasm for a movie right after I've seen it. Still, I can't praise this movie enough. GO SEE IT! Even if you don't have kids. Grab your wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend and SEE IT! You won't regret it!!! :mrgreen:

Oh, and stay through the credits! Not only does it display the origins of the New Age of Man in a cool way, but WALL•E agrees to join the Avenger Initiative!!! :wink:

I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!!
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Maui on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:05 pm

Loved it! Beautiful, heartwarming story. Visually stunning, just a great film!

The love story between Walle and Eve just pulled at my heart strings. It's truly amazing how such a wonderful story can be told with minimal voice casting. Brilliant.

The musical score is outstanding. Got a big kick with the 2001 ditty being played as the Captain finally gets off his ass and out of the chair. lol

Nice song at the end by Peter Gabriel.

Pixar does not disappoint! This movie is now tied in 1st place with Ratatouille.
Maui
WoWie

Postby DaleTremont on Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:56 pm

Certainly this movie took me by surprise. Not necessarily in a good way.

It was strongest the first 20 or so minutes. Absolutely stunning imagery of a desolate and abandoned earth with this little robot wheeling about in complete innocence, discovering all his own little wonders from the trash we left behind. Such a great example of physical comedy, as well. Wordless grace, I guess would be the best way to describe that opening. But then when we get to the Axiom it's suddenly a totally different story. What I enjoyed so much about Wall-E and Eve's rapport was its simplicity. But then you throw this social commentary there, almost comical in its earnestness, and I had a rather hard time stomaching it all. It also turns into a bit of a rat race in some ways, trying to get the thingy to the thingy (avoiding spoilers here, shut up) and well I guess I had a hard time reconciling the whole bizarre mad cap dash through an army of Botero-esque human blimps with the earlier quiet and unassuming beauty of Wall-E and Eve learning to love each other. It's just like two different movies, in my mind. It's not like I don't enjoy watching a madcap dash through an army of Botero-esque human blimps, but here's the thing- agenda-pushing, no matter how noble in its intent, is still distracting. It takes away from Wall-E, and Wall-E (the character) was fucking fantastic.

I might not have even been saying all this shit if it hadn't been for that end credits montage with the Peter Gabriel song over it. That kinda clinched it for me.

Still a good movie though. And still some of the most astounding computer animation I've ever seen. So I give it a 7/10. A tad disappointed but still impressed.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Maui on Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:06 pm

Dale, I seriously could have just watched Eve and Walle for 2 hours. That was the highlight for me, their simple, cute, funny relationship, how they were brought together, their separation, their reunion.
Maui
WoWie

Postby DaleTremont on Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:52 pm

Maui wrote:Dale, I seriously could have just watched Eve and Walle for 2 hours. That was the highlight for me, their simple, cute, funny relationship, how they were brought together, their separation, their reunion.

Totally. And I love how the scenes with the two of them cut across all lines of communication. Someone in China could enjoy that just as well as someone here. I felt like the moment when they were sounding out each other's names was kind of a nod to that, breaking barriers no matter where you come from, being able to understand one another. Very, very sweet :aww shucks emoticon:
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Maui on Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:59 pm

You really feel for Walle. First he is all alone, except for the cricket and his VHS tape. Then Eve arrives and we get to see him 'stalk" her, which was really cute. The entire movie you are waiting for them to hold hands (sweet and simple). I just about starting crying when I thought Walle's memory was erased and he didn't recognize Eve. :( AND, I am not a sap whatsover, I laughed at the romantic scenes in Titanic. The fact that these 2 robots can touch your hearts like this, really is quite the feat. Pixar done good.

I didn't comment too much on the 'human' aspect of the film, because I just didn't dig it as much. The Walle/Eve story is where it's at.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:23 pm

I also forgot to mention how freakin' hilarious "Presto" is. This is the Pixar short before Walle starts. Let me just say that I simply adore Pixar shorts. I have them all on my iPod and it's very difficult for me to pick a favourite.

Presto has become my new favourite, it's kicked "For the Birds" into 2nd spot. It is downright hilarious. I laughed the entire time. Serious. The entire theatre just roared. It was so funny.

With each magic act really going bad for the magician, the rabbit gets even. It only makes the crowd applaud louder - which to me I found hysterical. As well, there is one point where the magician is tapping his foot, very oddly at that. They focus on the orchestra pit while his foot is tapping, then the orchestra breaks out into a polka'esque type tune. The rabbit, he is just so cute, and you feel for him at the very beginning as his tummy rumbles and it seems that his carrot is beyond reachable.
Maui
WoWie

Postby hackett on Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:24 pm

I agree w/ most of the posts up here... but here's something that i can't get over.

It's probably the best "romance" in the last two decades.
With Serenity, it's probably one of the best Sci Fi features in the last two decades and perhaps and even more accurate view of the future than we'd like to admit.

Now how Pixar can do that when hundreds of other films have failed to conquer both individually is beyond me.

Maybe more companies need to move away from Hollywood to capture the true beauty of it.
http://vimeo.com/pandachase - now in technicolor
hackett
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Maui on Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:27 pm

Yeah, it is a "romance". I agree 100%.

It's a beautiful story. I'm not going to compare it to Dr. Zhivago or anything, but it just really touches your heart and soul.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Peven on Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:42 pm

can't really say anything about this movie that hasn't been said yet, positive that is because i have nothing negative to say. beautiful film. beautiful love story. great hero story. excellent cautionary tale. gorgeous visuals. the one reason why i will probably pony up the $ to buy a blu-ray player by the end of the year instead of waiting even longer to buy one. thank you Pixar, again.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby zane on Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:34 am

People overrate these pixar films so much I don't believe a word anyone says. It would seem to me that the better the animation or the more hype they get the more ppl are to highly rate them. To me Finding Nemo was just ok but the amount of praise that film gets is just ridiculous. It's like everyone quickly loses any kind of independent thought and just becomes part of the hype machine.
zane
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby ChemicalAli on Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:44 am

I rarely post, but had to echo what everyone else has said - a beautiful film. I think anyone who can critically look at film would count this as one of the flat out best films made in the past 25 years. I couldn't really place it as "better than this film" or anything like that because I truly believe it is in a class of its own. I didn't find anything "passable" or heavy handed in the way the themes are handled - people who dub this film a masterpiece are in no way being hyperbolic.

Though it's social commentary (anti-consumerism, pro-environmentalism) will likely get some flack from the likes of Limbaugh and O'Reilly - which is scary in and of itself and kind of brings back full circle some of what the film was trying to say about human kind's inability to go against "stay[ing] the course."
Excuse me, do these effectively hide my thunder?
ChemicalAli
GLIB

Postby hackett on Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:49 am

Maui wrote:Yeah, it is a "romance". I agree 100%.

It's a beautiful story. I'm not going to compare it to Dr. Zhivago or anything, but it just really touches your heart and soul.

It's funny because it reminded me of musical romances only the two main characters don't really sing at all. Guy meets girl, they touch, get seperated, get re-united, in their path others find their proper endings as well.

I think I saw the giant monster robot from The Incredibles in the junkyard. Did anyone else see any cameos?
hackett
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:09 am

zane wrote:People overrate these pixar films so much I don't believe a word anyone says. It would seem to me that the better the animation or the more hype they get the more ppl are to highly rate them. To me Finding Nemo was just ok but the amount of praise that film gets is just ridiculous. It's like everyone quickly loses any kind of independent thought and just becomes part of the hype machine.

Did you read my review? I haven't gone ga-ga over a Pixar film ever. I agree with you: I think people largely overpraise these movies. That being said, I loved WALL•E and the visuals had nothing to do with it (though they were very nice).
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Nordling on Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:49 am

If I say I think WALL*E's a masterpiece, it's because I think it's a goddamn masterpiece. I think THERE WILL BE BLOOD and NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN are masterpieces too, and Pixar's not within fallout range of those films.

I praise Pixar movies because in comparison to other animated films they actually make the effort to make something deep, resonant, and far more than just selling shit to kids. Whenever someone says I'm just part of the hype machine I just want them kicked in the fucking teeth. I loved KUNG FU PANDA too, and it's not Pixar. Obviously I'm compromised.

When someone seriously questions your enjoyment of a film as having some ulterior motive, it's really time for that fucker to go back to what he does best... trying to jam a square peg in a round hole while teams of psychologists look on.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:50 am

zane, ever consider the possibility that people simply enjoy the movies THAT much? and if they do why is it any skin off your teeth?

on top of that, anyone familiar with this board should know that no movie gets a free pass here, whether it is from Pixar, or a favorite geek director or property, or not. just look at what people here say about "Cars" or "King Kong" for instance.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:12 am

I don't know zane, Finding Nemo is one of my favorite movies -- animated or otherwise. To each their own I guess, but I think Pixar's lived up to the hype for now.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Maui on Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:07 pm

Nordling wrote:
When someone seriously questions your enjoyment of a film as having some ulterior motive, it's really time for that fucker to go back to what he does best... trying to jam a square peg in a round hole while teams of psychologists look on.

Good one Nordling. :lol:
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:41 pm

hackett wrote:
Maui wrote:Yeah, it is a "romance". I agree 100%.

It's funny because it reminded me of musical romances only the two main characters don't really sing at all. Guy meets girl, they touch, get seperated, get re-united, in their path others find their proper endings as well.

I think I saw the giant monster robot from The Incredibles in the junkyard. Did anyone else see any cameos?

Well Sigourney Weaver has the voice cameo. She is the Axiom ship's computer voice. I'll be seeing this again very soon, so I'll peruse the junkyard more closely.

The VHS tape that Walle and Eve watch is a musical romance. Walle's idea of romance, is in that tape. So it's really clever how he tries to capture that with Eve.

You immediately think of silent film when watching Walle. The movie really is a Sci Fi nod to 2001, Star Wars, Short Circuit, Alien, ET...in clever, cute ways. I noticed the Short Circuit music when they were cleaning in the Axion ship, also all the funny gadgets of the past: ipod, rubiks cube and spork gag. I just think Walle had a nice seasoning of all of these films. Brilliant. This is silly, but I couldn't help but think of Gromit and how well they capture his expressions, what he's thinking, etc. I don't know how many of you have seen Wallace and Gromit's film "A Grand Day Out" but Walle seemed to have a dash of that too. They go to the moon in search of cheese, it's rather clever.

I was thinking (yes it happens) and in a way I wish they had used the "Charlie Brown Technique" with the studly humans in Walle. In all the Charlie Brown shows, the adults are never shown, you hear a muttered voice, but its just all about the kids. You know the adults have a presence, but they are just really insignificant in the grand scheme of things.
Maui
WoWie

Postby hackett on Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:13 pm

i enjoyed that Wall E / eve / etc...empowered the humans...Garlin's character was very fun to watch
hackett
MONKEY BUTLER

PreviousNext

Return to Animation