WALL•E

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

On a scale of 011010 to 1001011, how would you rate WALL•E?

49%
24%
8%
3%
5%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
*DOES NOT COMPUTE* (Will not be seeing this in theaters)
No votes
I miss Flumm... :'(
11%

Total votes : 37

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:51 pm

godzillasushi wrote:The back-story is way above a childs head.

Not to be mean but I think you give children too little credit.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:57 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:

Well I just dont think a child wonders what the world will be like in 800 years and how much damage humans are actually causing the planet when the average child probably couldnt find China on a map and only knows how to text message over myspace. I get what your thinking. Im kinda saying that a kid is more interested in the cute robot, not how the cute robot got there. And thats the part that I am finding interesting. The fact that Pixar came up with this huge backstory about humanity that kids might not understand until they're older. I suppose I am giving too little credit, but its still a little more complicated then Finding Nemo where the ultimate goal was to find Nemo :P
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:04 pm

godzillasushi wrote: but its still a little more complicated then Finding Nemo where the ultimate goal was to find Nemo

SPOILERS!!!
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby minstrel on Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:56 pm

Orcus wrote:Robots in love? Wasn't that the plot of Heartbeeps, starring Andy Kaufman and Bernadette Peters

You should read the article at the link. It's a lot more than robots in love.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Orcus on Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:24 pm

No really, wasn't robots in love covered in Heartbeeps? I'm only asking since that struck a distant memory of that movie, not that I was comparing the two
"Where's you're God noooooow???!!"
Orcus
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Ribbons on Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:34 pm

The backstory seems pretty complex, but I don't know. Over the Hedge basically implied that people were a bunch of studly slobs, and Happy Feet was pretty strong on the anti-pollution tip, and they both made a fair amount of money. I think the silent film approach sounds riskier. Could be really awkward to watch in a movie theater...
Last edited by Ribbons on Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:34 pm

I believe that robot love was covered to its full extent on Speilberg's AI.

*ducks head to avoid rotten tomatoes thrown*

And I read the article, and it sounds pretty meh to me.

I don't beleive it states a running time for this, but it doesn't seem to have enough meat to be a full length feature.
It might work great as a 15-20 minute short.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:20 pm

minstrel wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:
minstrel wrote:I'll be interested to see Fred Willard in it. How are they going to make that look?

Like this...

Very clever, but probably wrong.

havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Peven on Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:37 pm

godzillasushi wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:

Well I just dont think a child wonders what the world will be like in 800 years and how much damage humans are actually causing the planet when the average child probably couldnt find China on a map and only knows how to text message over myspace. I get what your thinking. Im kinda saying that a kid is more interested in the cute robot, not how the cute robot got there. And thats the part that I am finding interesting.

you don't spend much time around kids, do you?

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby tb_fan6780 on Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:11 pm

I have a 7-year old nephew that's already talking about wormholes, DNA, and Algebra! That frightens me.
www.sookieandkooky.com

Come see the train wreck!
tb_fan6780
GLIB

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:29 am

Holy fucking shit. I just read that plot description and fuck - Pixar could really be turning a creative corner with this one. If it's how I envision it being based on that summary, it'll be my favourite Pixar movie, easy.

Ratatouille looks great but a little by-the-numbers (which isn't a problem in terms of quality, but in terms of storytelling it doesn't look like much new for them). WALL•E looks as though it's daring as hell and will be all the better for it.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:42 am

Wow, I've had a look at this thread a couple of times but actually read that link that Havoc posted last night. That sounds great! Very much along the same lines of most of Pixar’s short films by the sound of it (the silent film bit at least). I don't really understand the excitement about the logo... it looks pretty bland to me, but I'm dead keen to see some more screen grabs. Very exciting...
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:09 am

Article thing

New information = Ben Burtt is doing the electronic voices.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:50 pm

so sorry wrote:And I read the article, and it sounds pretty meh to me.

I don't beleive it states a running time for this, but it doesn't seem to have enough meat to be a full length feature.
It might work great as a 15-20 minute short.

They did say in the article that this was just the first 1/3 of the movie...

The second 2/3rds is just [not really spoilers]a very long montoge of Wall•E training the blobs back into shape and them cleaning up themselves while Wall•E and EVE make sweet sweet robo love...[/not really spoilers]
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:54 pm

WALL-E 5 IS ALIVE!!!!!111!!!

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:01 pm

I can't wait to see this one. Ratatouille is a pass for me, but this one sounds like I'll be sniffling for the poor robot.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:06 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:Ratatouille is a pass for me

May I ask why? I mean what about it is not appealing to you?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:17 pm

I'm there for Ratatouille with bells and a chef's hat on. It's Brad Bird, man. The guy could take a shit on a rendering station and I'd sit there watching happily for two hours plus.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:07 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:Ratatouille is a pass for me

May I ask why? I mean what about it is not appealing to you?

I'm not sure. The rat is really cute but it just hasn't grabbed my interest...I don't think it looks particularly funny or interesting. But there hasn't been a Pixar film I hated yet, I'm sure I'll enjoy it once I see it. It's just a rental rather than a must-see, like Cars was.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:57 am

Cars was a must see :shock:

I couldn't have cared less about Cars, and when I did finally see it I wasn't very impressed. Pixars worst effort so far IMHO.

I know what you mean about Ratatouille though LS. There's just something about it that just seems flat, and a little uninteresting. I can't explain it but WALL*E is getting the juices flowing a hell of a lot more then Ratatouille ever will.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:39 am

Maybe it's because Ratatouille seems so much like Flushed Away, except with rats instead of hamsters... and French cheese instead of sewage.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:03 am

That could be it, it's hard to judge... maybe it's more Disney then Pixar and that's what's putting me off.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:25 am

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:40 am

MonkeyM666 wrote:maybe it's more Disney then Pixar

What does that mean? I hope you aren't inferring that Disney has some sway over PIXAR's storytelling simply because they bought them up.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:44 am

Zarles wrote:I'm there for Ratatouille with bells and a chef's hat on. It's Brad Bird, man. The guy could take a shit on a rendering station and I'd sit there watching happily for two hours plus.

You and I? we're not going to the movies together

watching the Wall E teaser for the fourth time...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fievel on Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:09 am

I love the whole approach to the Wll E trailer. The "look what we've done before" bit was f-ing sweet!!!!
Pixar has the coolest teasers. I loved the one for The Incredibles.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:18 am

I wanted to say something along the lines of, "gentlemen, let's not go sucking our dicks just yet", but if any corporation has reason to be proud of their catalog, it's Pixar. To me, their lesser films are better than the competitions best.

Who did the BRAZIL theme, Kamen? Just hearing a snippet of that elicits a huge grin from me. Not sure on the voice at the end (is that the backwards dwarf from TWIN PEAKS?!?) but just that small glimpse of Wall-E as he looks up and the subtle yet profound change of expression on him?

now THAT'S animation.

oh yeah, I got tickets for an early screening of RATATOUILLE tomorrow.

bells. on.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:22 am

MonkeyM666 wrote:Cars was a must see :shock:

I couldn't have cared less about Cars, and when I did finally see it I wasn't very impressed. Pixars worst effort so far IMHO.

I know what you mean about Ratatouille though LS. There's just something about it that just seems flat, and a little uninteresting. I can't explain it but WALL*E is getting the juices flowing a hell of a lot more then Ratatouille ever will.

I should have double-checked my post for bad grammar--I meant Cars *wasn't* a must see for me and I wasn't hugely impressed when I saw it. It was very pretty and Mater was really cute, but it didn't do much for me. It was a movie for little boys, with enough nostalgia for their parents to stay awake.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby tapehead on Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:25 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Who did the BRAZIL theme, Kamen?

'Aquarela do Brasil' (I have the cd) - Kamen did all the score, but I don't think he composed it, as I seem to have an idea the movie is named after the song.

edit: interesting - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquarela_do_Brasil
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:33 am

Ribbons wrote:10110010110001!

Too fucking cute. I absolutely cannot wait to see this film. It will most assuredly have me melting.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:42 am

Ah, I missed the link to the teaser...I agree, Lecko, too cute. His little voice makes me all sniffly. I'm glad it comes off as more upbeat, the photos and snippets so far just seem so sad and lonely...
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:02 am

I also liked the variation on the "From the makers of <insert box office success>..."
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:20 am

Pacino86845 wrote:I also liked the variation on the "From the makers of <insert box office success>..."

Yeah, most audiences probably won't notice that was all the trailer was.

"Hey, the guys that made all these things you loved are making something else, and this is what he looks like." End.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:21 am

Heheheh, I know what you mean Nacho, but I meant it as a compliment!!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby tapehead on Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:25 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:I also liked the variation on the "From the makers of <insert box office success>..."

"Hey, the guys that made all these things you loved are making something else, and this is what he looks like." End.

uhuh - that's why they call it a 'teaser' - had that lovely 'Brazil' track and some nice animatic-to-finished render shots too.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:35 am

I concur w/ tapehed, it's a teaser and it teased me perfectly. The use of the theme, a glimpse at Wall-E in action (inaction?), and a tiny little bit of character development. Can't wait!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:58 am

tapehead wrote:
Nachokoolaid wrote:

uhuh - that's why they call it a 'teaser' - had that lovely 'Brazil' track and some nice animatic-to-finished render shots too.

Yeah, I'm sure all the 6 year olds out there have their Harry Tuttle dolls clutched tightly in hand. I doubt few people will make that connection. Interesting though.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby tapehead on Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:02 am

Nachokoolaid wrote: Grande Rojo Tuttle dolls clutched tightly in hand.

You've got a Robert De Niro modelled Harry Tuttle Doll? dude, that's fricken awesome! we were talking about that rare obcure movie earlier in this very thread!

(I actually love the notion that Gilliam might have licensed plush toys of the movie's characters)
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby unikrunk on Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:05 am

If I am not mistaken, the music in the trailer was from Gilliam’s Brazil, no?

/good choice, looks good, they have my 10 bucks already
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Will Scarlet on Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:40 am

If just the trailer snippet can make me sniffle, I can't imagine what the film is going to do to me. Those eyes! :cry:

WS
Will Scarlet
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fawst on Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:37 am

That one picture above, with WALL-E just sitting there looking kind of upwards... that alone sold me on this movie. And the plot descriptions, just the snippets I am getting from you guys, make me believe this could be the greatest Pixar movie.

The only two "robots in love" movies I can think of would be Bicentennial Man (which I loved loved LOVED, and was a FAR better film than A.I.), and the one with Andy Kaufman, no idea what it's called.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:49 am

HEARTBEEPS.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Fawst on Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:20 pm

Thanks, Nord, I figured that was the name of it, saw it earlier in the thread. Was that movie any good? I remember seeing part of it and thinking it could have been brilliant. But I figured it was just bad.

I ALMOST included Love Bytes. I think that was the name. Guy's computer falls in love with his girlfriend.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:56 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:
MonkeyM666 wrote:Cars was a must see :shock:

I should have double-checked my post for bad grammar--I meant Cars *wasn't* a must see for me and I wasn't hugely impressed when I saw it. It was very pretty and Mater was really cute, but it didn't do much for me. It was a movie for little boys, with enough nostalgia for their parents to stay awake.

Very true...It was aimed by pixar at a demographic more then just made because it's a good story. I mean, that trailer is quite interesting when you think about it. 'All the great movies that you love were decided back at that meeting and this is the last good idea we have'. Jab at Disney maybe??? Maybe I'm reading way too much into it.

Great teaser though... I just want to see MORE!!
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:33 pm

Fawst wrote:That one picture above, with WALL-E just sitting there looking kind of upwards... that alone sold me on this movie. And the plot descriptions, just the snippets I am getting from you guys, make me believe this could be the greatest Pixar movie.

The only two "robots in love" movies I can think of would be Bicentennial Man (which I loved loved LOVED, and was a FAR better film than A.I.), and the one with Andy Kaufman, no idea what it's called.

What about *Batteries not included? Or would you consider those more sentient spaceships?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:24 pm

Fawst wrote:The only two "robots in love" movies I can think of would be Bicentennial Man (which I loved loved LOVED, and was a FAR better film than A.I.), and the one with Andy Kaufman, no idea what it's called.

Blade Runner?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:41 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
Fawst wrote:That one picture above, with WALL-E just sitting there looking kind of upwards... that alone sold me on this movie. And the plot descriptions, just the snippets I am getting from you guys, make me believe this could be the greatest Pixar movie.

What about *Batteries not included? Or would you consider those more sentient spaceships?

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Fawst wrote:The only two "robots in love" movies I can think of would be Bicentennial Man (which I loved loved LOVED, and was a FAR better film than A.I.), and the one with Andy Kaufman, no idea what it's called.

Blade Runner?

Point Break?*

* I'm... I'm guessing you saw what I did there. :oops:
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:01 pm

other "'bots in heat" depicted in cinema...

R2 and 3PO - really, the subtext is there. One could make the case the entire saga is about the love that dare not speak its name...ROBOT LOVE!

T-800 and T-1000 - there was a point where they locked eyes that best can be described as smoldering.

must be some others...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:28 pm

Star Trek: First Cuntact

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:09 pm

MonkeyM666 wrote:Very true...It was aimed by pixar at a demographic more then just made because it's a good story.

Not true at all. That movie was Lasseter's baby at PIXAR and was not some demographic/focus group designed product. It may be their weakest film to date but it was a story Lasseter wanted to tell.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Animation