Superman Doomsday DTV

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Superman Doomsday DTV

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:41 am

I apologize if there is already a thread for this, but I did a quick search and didn't find anything.

So WB released some new info regarding the Superman Doomsday DTV animated movie. The thing that excites me most if that it will be PG-13 much like the Marvel animated films.

Here is a synopsis:

Produced by Bruce Timm (Justice League Unlimited, Batman: The Animated Series) and written by Duane Capizzi (The Batman, The Batman vs. Dracula), Superman Doomsday is inspired by the best-selling graphic novel of all time, DC Comics’ The Death of Superman. When the intergalactic serial killer Doomsday is unearthed, Superman meets the creature head on in the battle to end all battles. Going punch for punch, Superman finally ends the threat of Doomsday as he throws one last punch and collapses forever – making the ultimate sacrifice to save Metropolis and all those he once loved.

Check out the info here.

Here are some highlights:

- Superman Doomsday features the voices of Adam Baldwin (“Independence Dayâ€
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:41 am

Lemme guess: Vin Diesel as Doomsday, right?

Hmm.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:49 am

I really do not like the voice casting. Why not just get the voices from the Timm + Dini universe that we are used to?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:39 am

Leckomaniac wrote:I really do not like the voice casting. Why not just get the voices from the Timm + Dini universe that we are used to?

Yeah What the fuck.....This is what made that Superman vs Braniac dvd they did suck.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:52 am

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:50 pm

Looks ok, too bad the voice casting still sucks.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:56 am

Just got back from the World Premier of Superman: Doomsday at Comic-Con.

WOW! This film flat out rulez. It earns that PG-13 rating and more. Blood. Violence. Cursing. Death.

I mean there is so much killing. The fight between Superman and Doomsday is BRUTAL. Absolutely brutal. For anyone who complained that Superman Returns had no action...look no further. This film will be all you need.

The voice talent is awesome...James Marsters as Lex Luthor really stood out. Do yourself a favor and check this out when it is released Sept. 18. You won't be disappointed.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Garbage Man on Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:06 am

Awesome, thanks for the head's up Lecko!

Did they show a teaser for New Frontier after Doomsday? I know they were hinting they'd preview another DCU property after the screening.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:11 am

The Garbage Man wrote:Awesome, thanks for the head's up Lecko!

Did they show a teaser for New Frontier after Doomsday? I know they were hinting they'd preview another DCU property after the screening.

Yes they certainly did and let me tell you...it looked AMAZING. The New Frontier stuff was just awesome (we only saw a small amount of footage though, but the voice cast is top notch!)

I can't recommend Doomsday enough. DC/WB look like they have struck gold with these Direct-to-DVD animated stuff. They wouldn't let it slip what the next proejct would be, but they said an announcement would be forthcoming...probably at WizardWorld.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Superman Doomsday DTV

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:15 am

Agreed with Leko. If Doomsday is any indication of what we're going to get out of this new DTV line from DC, IM all for it.

DD and Sups fighting was the stuff of dreams. The whole room was so into this thing it was nuts!

Luthor was fucking LUTHOR in this thing. Heartless, insane and diabolical! When he poped that bitch, goddamn!

The New Frontier trailer was also uber badass! I love the retro look to the whole thing (but with no Tim Daily as Batman.. crowd didnt buy it so much)

We're apparently also getting a Dark Night Returns DTV next year too.

On a side note, Bruce Timm kinda came off as a Struggling Background Artist at the Q&A...
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Re: Superman Doomsday DTV

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:19 am

bastard_robo wrote:(but with no Tim Daily as Batman.. crowd didnt buy it so much)

I assume you mean Kevin Conroy....
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:50 am

bastard_robo wrote:We're apparently also getting a Dark Night Returns DTV next year too.

There's nothing exciting about this news, at all.

bastard_robo wrote:We're apparently also getting a Dark Knight Returns DTV next year too.

If you had said that, I'd be creaming myself and those around me, right now.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:39 pm

Some very interesting news about upcoming DC animated features. Apparently, the next ones down the pipe are a Wonder Woman movies focusing on George Perez's retelling of their origin and also anime Batman movie set in the same universe as BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT.

The Batman Anime film will tell six stories that exist inbetween the two films and will be written by Josh Olsen (A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE), David Goyer (BLADE, BATMAN BEGINS), and Brian Azzarello (100 BULLETS, LOVELESS).

Check out more info right here
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:42 pm

I'm worried that Batman Naime will be along the lines of the recent Ultimates Marvel films.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:40 pm

Don't think this has been posted:

Doomsday Preview
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:40 pm

OK, I was skeptical about this Batman Anime jazz until I saw the designs.

Sign me up.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:56 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:I'm worried that Batman Naime will be along the lines of the recent Ultimates Marvel films.

Yeah, talk about potential wasted. I remember all the noise when it came out about how by doing this direct to DVD and without any live action budget limitations, they would free themselves to be so much more faithful to the comic.

And when it came out, that was one of those things where everyone was so excited about it that they just decided to like it, even though it was crap, and then it's only with the passage of time that you finally admit to yourself that it actually was crap all along.

But I dunno, at least they got the right talent involved on the Batman one. It sounds like this is also getting more and more common, releasing animated prequels to blockbuster sequels. Does anyone remember the Chronicles of Riddick anime that came out around the same time it did?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Superman Doomsday DTV

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:03 am

Adam Balm wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:I'm worried that Batman Naime will be along the lines of the recent Ultimates Marvel films.

Yeah, talk about potential wasted. I remember all the noise when it came out about how by doing this direct to DVD and without any live action budget limitations, they would free themselves to be so much more faithful to the comic.

And when it came out, that was one of those things where everyone was so excited about it that they just decided to like it, even though it was crap, and then it's only with the passage of time that you finally admit to yourself that it actually was crap all along.

But I dunno, at least they got the right talent involved on the Batman one. It sounds like this is also getting more and more common, releasing animated prequels to blockbuster sequels. Does anyone remember the Chronicles of Riddick anime that came out around the same time it did?

Universal also did one for VAN HELSING. The concept is great.. and honestly, more of them should be done.. (like the Hellboy toons over the last few months)

Just make sure that quality goes into them.

Riddick and Van Helsing were fairly decent, and didn't go for kiddy broke. They kept in vein of the movies and added a bit of fun to the cannon.

If movie studios plan to keep franchise going, but know that its going to be a couple of years in between films, release a few DTV animated features to tide people over until the next one. Hellboy has been doing it and it quells my hunger for a new Hellboy film for a while.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby instant_karma on Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:19 pm

Just finished watching this.

I didn't really like any of the principal voice talent, James Marsters included, sadly. And the lines of Superman's face were kind of annoying, though I guess I could really be nitpicking here.

Also, the bit where Supes takes Doomsday out of the atmosphere and then plants him down in the middle of Metropolis, thus leveling a few blocks and killing who knows how many people, seemed very out of character. Wouldn't he bring him down somewhere unpopulated?

What I did really enjoy though was what seemed to be references to the aborted Tim Burton Superman movie. I don't recall having ever seen Toyman in any of the various animated DCU projects, so I could be wrong here and maybe he's always been portrayed as so, but in this movie, Toyman = Tim Burton. There's even a guy on the street commenting about his lame mechanical spider, which turns out to have been voiced by Kevin Smith.

Overall though, this was just so-so. I wish they'd gotten some of the Justice League Unlimited writers involved (and voice talent too), as most of the dialogue in this seemed flat in comparison.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby minstrel on Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:22 pm

Why didn't Superman just fling Doomsday into the sun?

Come to think of it, why doesn't he do that with every villain?
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby instant_karma on Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:31 pm

minstrel wrote:Why didn't Superman just fling Doomsday into the sun?

Come to think of it, why doesn't he do that with every villain?

Heh. I had typed out almost those exact same words in my previous post, but figured I was already being too pedantic.

Maybe he could do it just one time, then Marlon Brando could come along and tell him that's not very sporting or something, and to quit doing it...
instant_karma

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:39 pm

instant_karma wrote:I don't recall having ever seen Toyman in any of the various animated DCU projects, so I could be wrong here and maybe he's always been portrayed as so, but in this movie, Toyman = Tim Burton. There's even a guy on the street commenting about his lame mechanical spider, which turns out to have been voiced by Kevin Smith.

Toyman was in a number of the Superman animated series eps. He looked like this.
I have no idea what he looks like in this movie.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby instant_karma on Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:12 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
instant_karma wrote:I don't recall having ever seen Toyman in any of the various animated DCU projects, so I could be wrong here and maybe he's always been portrayed as so, but in this movie, Toyman = Tim Burton. There's even a guy on the street commenting about his lame mechanical spider, which turns out to have been voiced by Kevin Smith.

Toyman was in a number of the Superman animated series eps. He looked like this.
I have no idea what he looks like in this movie.

D'oh. Yeah, now I remember. Heh, no it's a pretty different look. Dark, messy hair, kinda pale, maybe wearing eyeliner...
instant_karma

Postby bamf on Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:19 pm

I felt it missed out on having some b list heroes come in and try to pick up the slack in Metropolis (like they did with JLU-Greatest Story Never Told). Playing off that dynamic would have been interesting.
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:31 pm

instant_karma wrote:Just finished watching this.

I didn't really like any of the principal voice talent, James Marsters included, sadly. And the lines of Superman's face were kind of annoying, though I guess I could really be nitpicking here.

Also, the bit where Supes takes Doomsday out of the atmosphere and then plants him down in the middle of Metropolis, thus leveling a few blocks and killing who knows how many people, seemed very out of character. Wouldn't he bring him down somewhere unpopulated?

What I did really enjoy though was what seemed to be references to the aborted Tim Burton Superman movie. I don't recall having ever seen Toyman in any of the various animated DCU projects, so I could be wrong here and maybe he's always been portrayed as so, but in this movie, Toyman = Tim Burton. There's even a guy on the street commenting about his lame mechanical spider, which turns out to have been voiced by Kevin Smith.

Overall though, this was just so-so. I wish they'd gotten some of the Justice League Unlimited writers involved (and voice talent too), as most of the dialogue in this seemed flat in comparison.

Almost exactly what I thought. Being used to the previous DC animated series, it's hard to think outside of them.

The voice acting wasn't too great. The character design was fine, but those lines on Supes face were distracting. I thought the music was pretty poor as well - hearing some guy messing around with the synth settings on his Casio keyboard kept taking me out of the story. As a standalone piece, it was relying on the viewer being fairly savvy with the details already and didn't go to any major steps to build up these versions of the characters.

Incidentally, Toyman was featured in the last series of Justice League. This new emo-Toyman is going to be in the "The Batman" cartoon.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:29 pm

From the Superman Homepage:

"Superman: Doomsday" now comes in vivid Blu-ray and a 2-disc Special Edition DVD with over 220 minutes of extras.

The new content, created especially for these editions includes:

All-New Featurette "When Heroes Die: The Making of Superman: Doomsday"
Audio Commentary
All-New Featurette "The Clash of the Juggernauts"
4 Bonus Episodes of "Superman: The Animated Series" (hand picked favorites by animation legend Bruce Timm)
"Requiem and Rebirth: Superman Lives!"
"Superman: Doomsday 'Behind The Voices'" Featurette
"Justice League: New Frontier" Featurette
"Wonder Woman Sneak Peak" Featurette

"Superman: Doomsday" Special Edition will be available on DVD and Blu-ray from November 25, 2008. Pre-order it on either 2-disc DVD or Blu-ray disc from Amazon.com and help support the Superman Homepage.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:57 am

This wasn't bad. Obviously most of the story was cribbed from the Doomsday arc in the comic books, but the way Superman's death was handled and the rise of the new, fake Superman afterwards was handled really well. I thought Cyborg-Superman's breakdown was well-paced, so that he didn't seem overtly villainous so much as anal at first.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to Animation