Sweet & Sour film

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Sweet & Sour film

Postby arigibson on Mon May 14, 2007 9:27 am

Hey Aint it Cool

I work as Art Director for The People's Republic of Animation in Adelaide, Australia. We recently finished work on a short film titled "Sweet & Sour". It was written and directed by Eddie White.

The Film is a co-production between Shanghai Animation Film Studio and The People's Republic of Animation and the first ever animated co-production between Australia and China. SAFS created the 2D animation of Errol, the main character, and the PRA provided almost everything else. The core PRA team consisted of 3 2D artists and 5 CG artists.The backgrounds in the film are a mixture of traditional painted styles and full CG setups. the background characters are presented in a stylised 3D.

For the look of the film we heavily referenced japanese anime, particularly Mamoru Oshii's "Innocence" and the works of Hayao Miyazaki, there's more than a touch of Disney in there as well. For the design of the main character Errol we were strongly influenced by the character design in some of Osamu Tezuka's early shorts.

Here's the plot:
Errol, a hungry, stray dog living on the city streets, stumbles across Chinatown while foraging for food. Intoxicated by its alluring smells, tastes and exotic culture, Errol believes that he has discovered paradise. But everything changes dramatically when Errol believes that he may be on the menu. He flees Chinatown and must find a way to fill the new void in his life.

The film is currently travelling the international festival circuit so cannot yet be seen online in full. Once it finishes its travels we hope to make it readily available to everyone.

please check out the site and watch the trailer at: http://www.sweetandsourfilm.com

The People's Republic of Animation have a website at http://www.thepra.com.au This is a temporary place-holder with a new site due up in early June.

here are some stills from the film:
Let me know what you think.

arigibson
GLIB

Postby Fried Gold on Mon May 14, 2007 9:31 am

Damn Australians.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon May 14, 2007 9:37 am

Love the idea and story of this movie dude, and I love the animation and the art work. Really up for this film, but I need more than just that teaser trailer to really sell me on the film. If there's a full trailer, please repost it here for us.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby MonkeyM666 on Mon May 14, 2007 9:38 am

OI FRIED! Nothing wrong with Aussies.... Adelaide is different all together...:)

Looks cool arigibson. I've heard of your company before. Loved Carnivore Reflux (preview here), very cool style; really nice little story. You didn't do nearly as well as you should have in Tropfest. CARMICHAEL & SHANE was Shit!
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

preliminary trailer

Postby arigibson on Mon May 14, 2007 9:44 am

I'm totally gonna have a talk to our editor about getting a decent trailer cut.
I have the same problem with it you do. Plus there're stacks of really funky shots that i really want people to see!
arigibson
GLIB

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon May 14, 2007 10:02 am

So do we man. Put it up dude!!!

I love that shot of the main dog character looking up to that 40s style woman and the way she is illiminously lit. Wanna see more!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue May 15, 2007 9:18 am

Yeah, I hear you there Kirk. I'd love to see a trailer.

Looking at the first post pics again it reminds me of the night scene from Spirited away. Misty lighting, direct eye pulling colour... really nice work.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Animation