TINTIN movie encourages underage drinking

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Re: TINTIN movie (Now w/ Trailer)

Postby tapehead on Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:41 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:However I do think that the concentration of Haddock's alcoholism and humourous treatment of it (bullet time shots of Haddock AND Snowy drinking floating alcohol bubbles etc.) is a bad thing and encourages underage kids to drink and have underage sex and kill animals and this is why this movie should be at least censored in part or at most, banned.

More censored than it's current PG rating? or is that adequate when compared to, say, the gunplay, drinking, violence and horror in Raiders of the Lost Ark? Is it the government's job to exercise censorship upon material viewed by children, or can their parents manage it you berk?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:42 pm

Bloo wrote:what's wrong with drinking, underage sex, and killing animals?

BECAUSE I NEVER........ f*cking did it, :( , you wind up bastard. There, happy?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:54 pm

tapehead wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:I still would have preferred Spielberg to lend his hand to something more original and wasn't partially 'hand delivered' or 'delivered on a plate' by being a tried and tested and successful entertainment source already.

It is good though for what it is. What I was most impressed with actually was how the film lent it's weight into the character of Haddock. The movie comes a live a lot more when he's introduced onscreen and is much more fun onwards.

The telling of his ancestor's past and how Haddock has to sober and man up to deal with his own challenges is the best element of the film, and does save it from being just a wizz bang action extravaganza as it becomes a more personal film than I had expected, and a damn lot funnier too. Of course it utilizes TinTin more when he has to kick Haddock up the arse and later on, vice versa, making TinTin's role in this more internal and not just a guy who runs, punches and jumps just to push the action.

But it is good. I see why Spielberg decided to film this as animation rather than live action as he does go crazy with his ideas and is having so much fun with his action scenes that just feels more OTT than other animated stuff, and also with his camera flying in and out of all the 3D wildness, it's as if he is saying THIS is how you make a film in these genres.

However I do think that the concentration of Haddock's alcoholism and humourous treatment of it (bullet time shots of Haddock AND Snowy drinking floating alcohol bubbles etc.) is a bad thing and encourages underage kids to drink and have underage sex and kill animals and this is why this movie should be at least censored in part or at most, banned.

More censored than it's current PG rating? or is that adequate when compared to, say, the gunplay, drinking, violence and horror in Raiders of the Lost Ark? Is it the government's job to exercise censorship upon material viewed by children, or can their parents manage it you berk?

Considering the government and parents out there already secretly would rejoice in the pleasures of alcoholism I think your question in point is null and void and is one that refuses to be honestly answered. Why I even refused a date with a girl who told me that she indulged in mushroom drinking and debauchery the stupid gentleman, and if the above is the world that will continue then this isn't a world in which I want my children to grow up in. As the testamants say, "when the old one isn't working, just a .... little bit out west".

You, the zone and future of the movie watching world are the guns and jury, and the first witnesses to bring a conviction against TinTin for the conspiracy to encourage underage drinking among children.

It's up to you...
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby tapehead on Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:13 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
tapehead wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:I still would have preferred Spielberg to lend his hand to something more original and wasn't partially 'hand delivered' or 'delivered on a plate' by being a tried and tested and successful entertainment source already.

It is good though for what it is. What I was most impressed with actually was how the film lent it's weight into the character of Haddock. The movie comes a live a lot more when he's introduced onscreen and is much more fun onwards.

The telling of his ancestor's past and how Haddock has to sober and man up to deal with his own challenges is the best element of the film, and does save it from being just a wizz bang action extravaganza as it becomes a more personal film than I had expected, and a damn lot funnier too. Of course it utilizes TinTin more when he has to kick Haddock up the arse and later on, vice versa, making TinTin's role in this more internal and not just a guy who runs, punches and jumps just to push the action.

But it is good. I see why Spielberg decided to film this as animation rather than live action as he does go crazy with his ideas and is having so much fun with his action scenes that just feels more OTT than other animated stuff, and also with his camera flying in and out of all the 3D wildness, it's as if he is saying THIS is how you make a film in these genres.

However I do think that the concentration of Haddock's alcoholism and humourous treatment of it (bullet time shots of Haddock AND Snowy drinking floating alcohol bubbles etc.) is a bad thing and encourages underage kids to drink and have underage sex and kill animals and this is why this movie should be at least censored in part or at most, banned.

Considering the government and parents out there already secretly would rejoice in the pleasures of alcoholism I think your question in point is null and void and is one that refuses to be honestly answered. Why I even refused a date with a girl who told me that she indulged in mushroom drinking and debauchery the stupid gentleman, and if the above is the world that will continue then this isn't a world in which I want my children to grow up in. As in the testamants say, "when the old one isn't working, just a .... little bit out west".

You, the zone and future of the movie watching world are the guns and jury, and the first witnesses to bring a conviction against TinTin for the conspiracy to encourage underage drinking among children. It's up to you...

What are you going to do Kirks, when they come for you in the dead of night and cuff your wrists and place that black bag over your head - how are you going to face them? with your hands on your head or on the trigger of a gun? You offer up your liberty so easily it's like you don't value it at all - 'oh please spare us! somebody think of the children!' - you make me sick! Man up man-child, it just may be time to die and you're worried about what some 12 year old in the suburbs might think when he sees a cartoon character enjoying an imaginary drink of alcohol? You are lost, my Son, lost and rudderless in the desert like a horse with no name...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby minstrel on Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:20 pm

It's the order. First you kill the animals, then you have the underage sex, then you drink until everybody (especially the underage kids) forget about all of it.

You can't drink first. Because then you have to have the underage sex while hung over, and that's no fun. And killing animals while hung over just makes you puke.

:wink:
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Bloo on Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:33 am

minstrel wrote:

It's the order. First you kill the animals, then you have the underage sex, then you drink until everybody (especially the underage kids) forget about all of it.

You can't drink first. Because then you have to have the underage sex while hung over, and that's no fun. And killing animals while hung over just makes you puke.

man you guys do it weird on the "Left" coast...:wink:
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby papalazeru on Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:57 am

tapehead wrote:What are you going to do Kirks, when they come for you in the dead of night and cuff your wrists and place that black bag over your head - how are you going to face them? with your hands on your head or on the trigger of a gun? You offer up your liberty so easily it's like you don't value it at all

He could always ask to see their 27b/6
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Re: TINTIN movie encourages underage drinking

Postby Al Shut on Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:10 pm

Spandau Belly wrote: I don't think Hergé ever had a female character as shriekingly useless as Kate Capshaw's.

The amount of useful* female characters in Tintin is pretty limited.

Answering the door when the guy Tintin is actually looking for isn't at home doesn't count.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:25 pm

TinTin encourages people to murder female opera singers.

(Most of these people being window salesmen.)
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:49 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

BECAUSE I NEVER........ f*cking did it

Kirks is a virgin? that explains so much...

so this tintin movie isn't about a dog, then?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby SilentScream on Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:38 pm

TheBaxter wrote:so this tintin movie isn't about a dog, then?

No. It's about how two world class filmmakers can go so spectacularly wrong when they collaborate.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Peven on Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:32 pm

minstrel wrote:

I disagree, you always drink first, because underage sex and killing animals is far more enjoyable when drunk......

.....why, I remember this one time a friend of mine and I split a bottle of peppermint schnapps, got the girl up the road to blow us...and then we saw this squirrel scurrying around on the lawn....

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:31 pm

So this has been out for a while in the UK. If anybody knows how to, um... "find out" more about this movie online, I would greatly appreciate it.

(Cheeky links to IMDb or Rotten Tomatoes will result in a speedy ban)
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: TINTIN 2: Prisoners Of The Sun

Postby TheButcher on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:51 pm

From Collider:
Kathleen Kennedy Talks JURASSIC PARK 4, a 3D Re-Release for JURASSIC PARK, and TINTIN Sequel; Says TINTIN 2 Could Be Ready By Christmas 2014
Adam Chitwood wrote:While it doesn’t open in the U.S. until Christmas, The Adventures of Tintin has already been doing great business internationally. Spielberg and producer Peter Jackson have made it no secret that they plan to make multiple entries in the franchise, with Jackson primed to direct the sequel. Since he’s obviously very busy with The Hobbit for the next two years, Steve asked if work on a sequel was already underway:
“Oh yeah it is being moved forward, in fact Steven and I were talking about it this morning. We’re working on a script right now, we’ll see a script probably February or March. If we can do some camera capture this summer, which I think we could do, then we would be on track to have the movie either Christmas 2014 or summer 2015, and so that’s what we’re looking at right now.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:52 pm

Nuts to Kirks, I liked Tintin! It felt like a giant episode, guest-directed by Steven Spielberg. It was light and fluffy, but in this case I think that's what they were going for. And THIS is how mocap is supposed to be used. Some of the craziest action sequences I've ever seen.

Fair word of warning to the American audience who might not be familiar with the character, the movie just takes off right away, so before you have time to say "Wait, who the fuck is this kid with the floppy red hair?" there've already been two shoot-outs and a chase. You just have to be willing to go along for the ride.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby papalazeru on Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:21 pm

Ribbons wrote:Nuts to Kirks, I liked Tintin! It felt like a giant episode, guest-directed by Steven Spielberg. It was light and fluffy, but in this case I think that's what they were going for. And THIS is how mocap is supposed to be used. Some of the craziest action sequences I've ever seen.

Fair word of warning to the American audience who might not be familiar with the character, the movie just takes off right away, so before you have time to say "Wait, who the fuck is this kid with the floppy red hair?" there've already been two shoot-outs and a chase. You just have to be willing to go along for the ride.

HA!

Well said Ribbons, especially the part about MoCap.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:05 am

From Hero Complex:
‘Tintin’ creator Hergé: An animated (and complicated) life
Los Angeles Times television critic Robert Lloyd is a longtime “Tintin” fan and he will be writing a series of posts on the heritage of the character. This installment explores: Who is Hergé?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: TINTIN 2: The Calculus Affair

Postby TheButcher on Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:56 am

From The Playlist:
Producer Kathleen Kennedy Says 'The Calculus Affair' Eyed For 'Tintin' Sequel; 'Prisoners Of The Sun' Won't Be Used For Third Movie
Jen Vineyard wrote:Even before "The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn" hit theaters, the filmmakers were planning not one but two sequels -- commissioning writer Anthony Horowitz for at least one of them, which Peter Jackson would direct. The next installments was long thought to be "Prisoners of the Sun," but producer Kathleen Kennedy told The Playlist that they have different stories in mind now for the second film, including one that Peter Jackson had previously said he's a fan of. Moreover, it seems "Prisoners Of The Sun," rumored to be the third movie instead of the second, may not factor it at all.

"'Prisoners of the Sun' was a very, very early discussion, and it isn't under discussion anymore," she said. "We've still got Anthony Horowitz working on the second movie, and we don't know what we're doing with the third movie yet."

The first film incorporates several Tintin stories -- "Secret of the Unicorn," "Red Rackham's Treasure," and "The Crab with the Golden Claws" -- which established the main characters. "We knew that we needed to introduce Tintin, we needed to introduce the relationship with Haddock, we knew [the dog] Snowy was going to be in it," Kennedy said, "so now what we're thinking [for the second film] is what new characters do we want to introduce? Well, we'll probably introduce Calculus and bring him into the fold."

As in Professor Calculus, who was introduced in "Red Rackham's Treasure" as far as the original stories are concerned, but didn't appear in the film. Calculus is a romantic, hearing-impaired scientist who invents a mini submarine as well as a rocket that can go to the moon. He also drives Haddock crazy when he uses unscientific methods that end up working. Since the main story of "Red Rackham's Treasure" is already featured in the first film, one of the other stories to look to that features him heavily is "The Calculus Affair," in which the eccentric inventor is kidnapped.

"We haven't decided yet," Kennedy cautioned about the story, "but that's the direction we're headed."

Although part of "The Secret of the Unicorn" incorporates "The Crab with the Golden Claws," the story's drug smuggling aspect was not included -- but that doesn't mean it won't reappear in future installments, even if the films aim to be family-friendly. "The beauty of what Hergé did is that it is slightly out-of-the-box thinking, you know?" Kennedy said. "Everything we do nowadays is so PC that it's kind of interesting to confront the choices he made, and decide, 'OK, are we going to make the same interpretation? Or are we not going to do it because we think, Oh, maybe that shouldn't be a storyline we should follow?' We're kind of inclined to just stick with what Hergé was doing, and give it a bit of a modern interpretation."

Once the story for the second film is determined, Jackson is still on board to direct, in between some of his "The Hobbit" duties. As for the the third film, that one remains undetermined as of yet.

"It's tricky getting everybody," Kennedy said, "but that's how we did the first movie, sort of passing the baton. When Steven [Spielberg] was available, he'd jump in, and when he was busy, Peter would pick up the slack. It was kind of amazing how they'd work together. We never knew how this would work, but it worked out really, really well."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:17 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:38 am

So I saw this and based on my childhood memories of Tintin, I feel it is a perfect adaptation of the source material. As a movie it's fairly entertaining. The humour is all pretty good and the action is handled with a nice light tone that frequently goes into slapstick territory. Like in the books, it's not really meant to stick with you. Everything is nice and light because Tintin is a good-hearted upbeat one dimensional character who is never given a backstory or personal motivations. He's an absolute character who is built to go out on endless adventures because none of them are ever much more important or personal than others and he never developes or changes.

There are lots of references in there for people who know the source material, and most of the more recognizable characters get squeezed into this film (the most notable absence being Professor Tournasole, although he is referenced).

Spielberg does a way better job with a lot of these sequences than what he did in INDY 4 and the big motorcycle chase is one scene I would love to watch again. The animation and camerawork is really good and fluid. I saw this in 3D, but didn't really notice anything that was really enhanced by the 3D. The film mostly takes place during bright days, so the dimming effect of the 3D glasses didn't make the film too gloomy to see what was going on.

So overall, this is nice light fun in keeping with the characters and his adventures. I think kids will like it. The kids I took did. I had fun and will see any sequels they want to make.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:06 pm

But did the kids go out and get blind stupid mega pissed afterwards?

Your lack of information on this tells me that they did.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby SilentScream on Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:02 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:But did the kids go out and get blind stupid mega pissed afterwards?

I nearly did. Just to erase the whole damn thing from my head. Bloody awful flick, it was.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby tapehead on Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:50 pm

Great Snakes!
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:55 pm

Thundering Typhoons!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Mon May 14, 2012 9:54 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Al Shut on Tue May 15, 2012 4:13 am

I don't know about that list, considering how much was changed on the first movie and that they have to write a new introduction for Calculus anyway the movie could still be based on a number of other books.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:50 pm

Steven Spielberg plans film based on Indo-Pak border
Vikas Singh & Srijana Mitra Das wrote:'Next Tintin by 2015-end'

It's something all Tintin fans desperately want to know. So, we put the question to Spielberg—when is the sequel out? "Peter Jackson is directing the next one, I'm producing. We have a script and we're going to start performance capture probably at the end of this year.

"Don't hold me to it, but we're hoping the film will come out around Christmas-time in 2015. We know which books we're making, we can't share that now but we're combining two books which were always intended to be combined by Herge." Smiling impishly, refused to confirm or deny the guesses we hazarded but when specifically asked about 'The Blue Lotus', said it would probably be the third Tintin film.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:40 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:29 am

Jamie Bell Says The Adventures of Tintin 2 is Still a Go
"As soon as Peter's back from Middle-earth."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

The Adventures Of Tintin: Prisoners Of The Sun

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:12 am

The Script For The Next Tintin Movie Has Just Been Finished
No ambiguity there. Well, except for in respect of Spielberg’s role.

Screenwriter Antony Horowitz Reveals Script For Next 'Tintin' Is Done
Kevin Jagernauth wrote:Speaking with the Daily Mail, novelist and screenwriter Antony Horowtiz provided an update on the his work on the sequel, the tentatively titled "The Adventures Of Tintin: Prisoners Of The Sun." "I’ve just finished writing the new Tintin film for Steven Spielberg," he revealed. And that's it. (And note, Spielberg is a producer on the movie, and directed the first installment).
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: T2NT2N

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:03 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:34 am

Watched this again tonight with a friend who's a big TinTin fan. The more time goes by the more I think this is a criminally underrated movie. It's not a masterpiece or anything, but it's thoroughly entertaining and got completely overlooked. And for those who keep track of Andy Serkis and his performance capture career, "Captain Haddock" is another great performance.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:30 am

I missed it initially. I read a few Tintin books as a kid and really enjoyed them. Amazon just had it for $12 so I picked it up as part of a Christmas gift for my kids - a shitload of movies for 2017 Family Movie Nights. I'm looking forward to finally seeing it!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:28 pm

Yay! I have successfully converted one person. If you read The Secret of the Unicorn, this movie will seem very familiar to you.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:32 pm

Ribbons wrote:Watched this again tonight with a friend who's a big TinTin fan. The more time goes by the more I think this is a criminally underrated movie. It's not a masterpiece or anything, but it's thoroughly entertaining and got completely overlooked. And for those who keep track of Andy Serkis and his performance capture career, "Captain Haddock" is another great performance.

What, so... you're gonna be one of those mugs that tell me that Andy Serkis deserves and Oscar nomination for this too?

Dick.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:47 pm

Well, I wouldn't go that far. Maybe an MTV Award for Best Animated Boat Captain.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:33 pm

Ribbons wrote:Well, I wouldn't go that far. Maybe an MTV Award for Best Animated Boat Captain.

....in an Musical or Comedy
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Previous

Return to Animation