Family Guy/Cleveland Show/American Dad

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Family Guy/Cleveland Show/American Dad

Postby Guest on Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:45 am

Talk about everything Seth MacFarlane, creator of Family Guy, American Dad and The Cleveland Show.

Postby Man-in-the-Box on Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:57 am

I don't know Joshua. Is The Family Guy's wife pregnant? Are stealing my thunder you Bastard.
I'm not with Cowbell, he's with me.
Man-in-the-Box
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:56 am

What a lame clip. Could this movie be the moment when Family Guy JUMPS THE SHARK?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby The Garbage Man on Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:19 pm

Actually I found it to be very funny. Moreso than the new season, at least.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby The Garbage Man on Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:24 am

For clarification: I meant that I found the Family Guy movie itself to be very funny on the whole. I didn't bother watching the clip.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Man-in-the-Box on Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:09 am

The first part of the clip was funny. I love the Family Guy. Stewie is the shiznit. "Damn you and your estrogenical treachery".
I'm not with Cowbell, he's with me.
Man-in-the-Box
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:38 am

It was too self aware. Stewie showing up at an awards show? Reporters understanding him? One of the things I love about Stewie is they you never really know if anyone other than Brian understands the guy.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Bean on Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:46 am

I've seen the movie, and I thought it was hilarious. Pretty much a longer Family Guy episode.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:42 am

What I'd like to see is a fricken Futurama movie.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Garbage Man on Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:16 pm

The awards show stuff is just a couple of short endcaps before and after the actual movie. They're mildly amusing but easy to ignore.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby The Garbage Man on Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:16 pm

Adam Balm wrote:What I'd like to see is a fricken Futurama movie.

Wait 1-2 years. It's coming.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:22 pm

Seriously? Where'd you hear this?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:45 pm

thats what i heard too. in light of both futurama and family guys success on adult swim, fux in in the mood to make more money off of shows that they sort of fucked from the beginning. so ratings and dvd sales have been so good, they are supposed to be producing more than one straight to dvd movie of both shows. with the idea that they will also be broken up into segments and shown on fux as well. at least thats what i heard. and i understand the cast of futurama is extremely eager to get back in the booth. i guess that show was like the greatest most enjoyable job that any of them had ever had...at least according to billy west.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Family Guy

Postby bluebottle on Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:08 pm

There's a debate going on in the TB's about Family Guy... In Moriarty's DVD shelf column.

Weird.

It's getting heated.

"I'll bet you didn't get the farside!"

"What do you like? Garfield?!"

And if you don't like the show, "you have no sense of humor"

Insane.

Anyway... Thought maybe this would be the place to have a nice debate about the merits of Family Guy.

Personally, I think it's a cheap, mean show. Nothing but pop-culture references and low blows. Add in a few blue jokes and that's all there is to it. I respect that people find it funny, I have laughed at the show, I just don't think it's "brilliant" or that Seth Macfarland is a "genius". Two terms I'd use lightly.

Thoughts?

P.S. I think Curb Your Enthusiasm is really overrated... Too much screaming.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:13 pm

I don't think it's as funny as the Simpsons, but I've enjoyed Family Guy. At least the older episodes, the new ones don't seem to have the same zip to them. I just watched the first season again, and the pop culture references then, seemed more timely and funnier. Not just "I have nothing to put here, so how about a pop culture reference!"
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby so sorry on Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:31 pm

I think the Family Guy is, at times, fucking hysterical.
and yes, it certainly rips off the Simpson's, and yes, it is VERY offensive. and no, its not a genious comedic look at american culture. Sometimes dick and fart jokes are just dick and fart jokes.
i think its currently funnier than the simpson's, but it'll never match the Simpson's in their prime years.
gigity giggity....
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:33 pm

"I am Peter, hear me roar" really is one of the funniest things I have ever seen, but overall it's not the greatest show. I like very very mean nasty humour though, breaking social conventions for laughs is cheap but effective.
Don't know is this means anything, but I adore The Far Side.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:45 pm

Yeah, I gotta say I love the mean-spirited (sometimes brutal) humor of Family Guy, but I wouldn't call it genius...

Especially since just about every joke starts with "This reminds me of the time I..." and then some comic vignette ensues with Peter (or whomever) reliving a moment from an 80s sitcom and/or movie.

Still, as so sorry mentioned, it is currently much funnier than the Simpsons, but not as funny as the Simpsons in their prime.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby vicious_bastard on Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:48 pm

It annoys me so far. But hell, I said the same about Futurama and didn't give it a chance until the boxsets turned up in the sales. I will try again at some point. One for the "I don't get it" thread in my case.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:50 pm

Damn you Blue.

I just rented the movie and was gonna start a topic on it...but before I clicked on the Zone I wanted to check out Mori's DVD Reviews.

I like Smurfette.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby athenabodicea on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:19 pm

I love Family Guy... I rank it up there close to the Simpsons and definitely blows Southpark out of the water. I own the 1st 3 seasons on DVD and have rented the Stewie movie to watch tonight... I hope it is good... I've heard good and bad... I just want to hear Stewie say "Fuck" once....
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:19 pm

The Dino, he likes a the show, but would agree with a the Bluebottle assessment, eh?

It kind of a reminds a me of a "The Critic" show, which a the Dino liked a too, eh? Anna normally I hate a the critics, those goddamn putzes. But I did like a that show...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby bluebottle on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:20 pm

but in a twisted way, south park has a message...

did anyone watch the simpsons the other day, where maggie had chicken pox, and all the parents bring their kids over to get infected.

they did that on south park.

thought that was funny.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:22 pm

athenabodicea wrote:...definitely blows Southpark out of the water.

Qua?

SP is not only funnier, but is also socially relevant.

And I hate to tell you this, but if South Park wasn't the runaway success it was, there would be no FG.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:24 pm

I've said it in a talkback but, South Park is the most moral show on TV. A show about foulmouthed 8 year olds, what a world.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby so sorry on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:30 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:

Qua?

And I hate to tell you this, but if South Park wasn't the runaway success it was, there would be no FG.

OOHHHH, sounds like we have a nasty debate brewing!

allow me to throw a digital punch: Southpark stays funny for about 4 minutes an episode before i have to turn it off. Talk about running a joke into the ground... SP is one joke/"socially relevent" bit streched out for 23 minutes.
maybe my taste in humor is too lowbrow, but i liked SP when it was mostly dick and fart jokes (exception:mr. hanky... man that was terrible).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Moriarty on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:33 pm

SOUTH PARK owns FAMILY GUY's bitch ass coming and going.

No contest.

One is social satire that packs a mighty punch.

The other is cheap pop culture jokes and fart humor.

Again... no contest.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:35 pm

Oh it's still got the dick and fart jokes, Lemmiwinks the hamster on his quest for freedom from Mr. Slave's arse is hilarious. What I really love about SP is the way they are so merciless in their destruction of whatever target they go for. The Paris Hilton Episode or The John Edwards Episode make me laugh but they make me so damn happy that all these horrible manipulative unreal sick people are being totally lambasted.
TonyWilson

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:39 pm

Moriarty wrote:SOUTH PARK owns FAMILY GUY's bitch ass coming and going.

No contest.

One is social satire that packs a mighty punch.

The other is cheap pop culture jokes and fart humor.

Again... no contest.

What he said.

But I taped the first 6 South Park's when Comedy Central first aired them simultaneously. Never laughed harder in all my life. So I've got a history with the show.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:42 pm

oh yeah, definately SOUTH PARK rules all in terms of the social satire...

the great thing about it too is that it's gotten ALOT funnier and ALOT smarter over the years. at first it was just scatalogical humor and screaming, but it's gotten downright subversively brilliant over the years. and talk about mean! goddamn, those guys are relentless.

yeah, i think SOUTH PARK just might be the funniest of them all...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby athenabodicea on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:43 pm

The first few seasons of SP were hysterical.. But now I think they are just pushing to see what they can get away with and that takes away from the humor they originally had...
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby athenabodicea on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:49 pm

Family guy has just random acts that make it funny.. Southpark makes fun of real things that are happening and I find it offensive at times... I feel sorry for the (stereotypes of) people they make fun of... I don't know... When I settle in to watch something funny, I don't want to be reminded of the crap that's going on in the world.. I just want to laugh... Although Southpark has a point in every story, you have to get through a bunch of crap to get to it...
Last edited by athenabodicea on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:53 pm

Yeah, I prefer the newer eps. of SOUTH PARK too.

I don't think it's fair to say there's no social satire in FAMILY GUY; even if it's not usually the focus of the show, I do think that some of the observations or jokes that are made count. Same deal with FUTURAMA.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:56 pm

I don't get a "we're going for social satire" vibe from Family Guy. they just ant to make me laugh. so it may be comparing apples and oranges.

but I'll stand up and make my claim that i laugh louder/longer/harder at Family Guy over South Park ANY DAY, regardless of whoever gets the Jon Stewart Award for Cartoon Social Satire Award.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Brocktune on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:57 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:

Qua?

yep
at least south park is original, and it definitely blazed a new trail for questionalbly appropriate material on television.

ill watch family guy, if i happen to catch it, and i usually laugh, but i cant get over the fact that it is a blatant simpsons knock off. i get into fights with my stupid drummer about it all the time. he swears that family guy is nothing like the simpsons, and i wonder wether or not we are even watching the same show. family guy is the simpsons with sideshow bob in baby form. only not as funny or original. and while im trashing family guy, mila kunis is complete shit as a voica actor. im sure thats just another case of fux sticking its nose in where it doesnt belong. and as for seth green....man dont even get me started on that sawed off little fuck. i hope he goddamned dies.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:59 pm

Moriarty wrote:The other is cheap pop culture jokes and fart humor.

and there was nothing cheap about that pop culture joke where Chris gets sucked into the A-Ha video. Fucking brilliant AND hysterical.
I think Mori is being told what to say by the Evil Monkey in his closet...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:00 pm

who, Herc?
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby athenabodicea on Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:01 pm

Nice one So Sorry... Stewie is and evil genius...
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Flumm on Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:08 pm

Well I was one of those people who had South Park hit when I was still kinda young and naive, and I got sucked into it largely because of the hype. I even sort of left it after a couple of seasons because of the way it was treated by channel 4 over here in the UK. But over the past couple of years, seeing repeats late night, I really have fallen in love with this show. The humour just feels a lot more focoused than the Simpsons to me, and zombie is right when he says it has gotten better, although over the years I've probably watched more Simpons than any other show in terms of hours of my life...And to my mind, the Southpark kids, feel a little more rounded and full as characters. Maybe because of the length of time the Simpsons has been on, and the amount of creative minds that have worked on it, I definately feel like I could see one repeat one day, and the see another the next, and there is very little continuity with the characters or their personalities. I still love them both though. When the Southpark boxsets get a little cheaper here, I'm gonna eat them all up.

As for Family Guy, there is to much love for that show for me to ignore it.. When there is so much positivty over a show - another example that springs to mind is the new BSG - I think it's usually a safe bet that there is gonna be a lot of moments you will enjoy. Espically when you consider the freedom an animated show can go with it's humour.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bluebottle on Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:39 pm

Hey, I dare anyone to watch South Park:BLU and then the new Family Guy movie back to back.

Come back then and say which packs more of a wallop.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:49 pm

I'll always be thankfull to South Park for Lemmiwinks. Although I was with friends at the time, I really have never laughed so hard and so long in my life. Between me and my friends that joke just evolved and became some of my favourite memories from a certain time, people and place. And it's all just a TV show! How trippy is that!?

I would start praying to the Gods of TV, if I didn't have the nagging feeling that Donalt Trump would show up in my living room. Him or Keith Chegwin.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:40 pm

I used to love Southpark, but now I find it boring. Simpsons has lost any edge it used to have, and Family Guy is kind of funny. I wouldn't care if they all disappeared.

Nothing is funnier on TV now than Venture Bros.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Flumm on Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:43 pm

Well to be fair, I haven't seen the past couple of seasons of SP. Channel 4 treats it like it was radioactive or something.

Wha's Venture Bros burl I've never heard of it?
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:01 am

I voted for "What the F--- is Family Guy Mother F---er" because I think I've only seen one or two episodes... and the funny thing is I've seen them more than once on TV... It was NTAMLE, but my siblings seem to enjoy it.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:55 am

Flumm wrote:Well to be fair, I haven't seen the past couple of seasons of SP. Channel 4 treats it like it was radioactive or something.

Wha's Venture Bros burl I've never heard of it?

check it, bitches
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:21 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Hey, I dare anyone to watch South Park:BLU and then the new Family Guy movie back to back.

Come back then and say which packs more of a wallop.

Didn't have to.

No offense FG fans, but the movie was a big let down. So many jokes that just weren't funny, constant cutaways from the plot just to throw up another "witty" pop culture reference, the story was weak, the animation hasn't improved a iota since day one...yeah, I didn't like it. Had it's moments, but they were few and far between. I didn't make a list of all the jokes I've heard done before on other shows, but it would be a long one. Teh derivative.

I cried with laughter when I saw BLU...but I died a little inside watching FG.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Did Family Guy steal more from The Critic or The Simpsons?

Postby BobGobbler on Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:10 am

I say The Critic, if you go back and watch it there is a lot of stylistic things that Family Guy ganked from it.
Peter Jackson is overrated.
BobGobbler
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:17 am

I voted Simpsons, but I think the point of Family Guy is that it rips off everything.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby thomasgaffney on Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:27 am

Probably The Simpsons, but they do steal from everything.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:29 am

King Kong? Neither? I am so confused.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Next

Return to Animation