Family Guy/Cleveland Show/American Dad

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Postby The Wrong Guy on Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:38 am

Now American Dad on the other hand is crap, but I've always considered that to be the little brother that never gets the really good jokes and has nothing but hand me downs all the way

For me, American Dad is heaps funnier than this season's Family Guy. That episode where Stan beat the living shit out of the strippers (he was hitting them with vacuum cleaners, for chrissakes! :shock: ) before throwing money and cheering his own stripping underage daughter was funny as all hell.

Also:

Stan: You were fired!
<In walks Donald Trump, hand outstreched, looking for money>
Stan: That's passive past tense, Trump! You don't own that! :lol:

Anyone who doesn't find that funny sucks!

And:
Stan: Look out for the mines, Hillary (Duff)
<explosion>
Stan: Ah, what did I say, Steve?
Steve: You said look out for the mines
Stan: I said look out for the mines.

Plus:
Stan (flashback): "Eat your peas, Hayley, so you can fight off Bill Clintons's sexual advances"

Not forgetting:
Francine: How's your French toast, honey?
Stan: Smelly and ungrateful! But this "American toast" is fantastic!

And there's a bloody funny conversation Stan has with his wife where she tells him because he has a loving family he's the real richest man in the world (trying to comfort him coz' he's jealous of another man with more money than him), at which point Stan pretends to ring up Bill Gates and tell him that 'It turns out you're not the richest man in the world. I am, because I have a loving family!' He then does a similar thing to a charity, seeing if he can donate his 'wealth'. Funniest sarcasm I've ever seen on television...You had to see it, I guess. :wink:

I rest my case.
The Wrong Guy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Kilgore on Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:46 pm

Kudos to Wrong Guy...I couldn't stand AD the first couple of episodes - seemed at the time like a lot of half-assed ideas that weren't rounded out, but somewhere in there someone must have been alerted that episodes were actually airing, and the writing clicked together like so many legos.

I think it's a decent bridge of Family Guy sensibilities meshed with the actual ability to carry a story from wire to wire like the better Simpsons episodes can.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby tfactor on Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:39 pm

I stand corrected
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Ribbons on Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:20 pm

American Dad has gotten better, but it's still not all that great in my opinion. The one episode that was absolutely hilarious though was the one where Stan's daughter was dating whatshisface (voiced by Patrick Stewart).

Family Guy has gotten worse since it came back on the air, but I actually don't think that's Seth McFarlane's fault. The only episode he was credited with writing is also one of the few worthy of vintage Family Guy. Basically I think the newer episodes place more of an emphasis on being as wacky as possible and not on the stories they're telling.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Shane on Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:23 pm

the story line was never the strong part of the show.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:35 pm

Anyone else think this may be another product of over-dillution of the creative talent behind the show? When Whedon was working on Buffy, Angel and Firefly all at the same time, Buffy and Angel, at least in my mind, suffered. If not for a few other excellent minds working with Whedon the drop off in quality for Buffy and Angel would have been even more pronounced.

Now SM has Family Guy, American Dad, and who knows what else in the works. I understand these guys want to have more than one iron in the fire, but when you are as intensely involved as SM is in the process (hell, he does like 2/3 of the voices in each show, on top of everything else) it seems impossible to keep the level of quality up to par. Once this happens, you start resorting to running gags, "ripped from the headlines" gags, etc. FG has always had these things, but they seem more forced now, like they have nothing else to resort to.

Any of that make sense?
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Ribbons on Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:15 am

Shane wrote:the story line was never the strong part of the show.

Beg to differ, mein freund. There's a marked difference between the episodes pre- and post-cancellation, and you can tell that -- now, anyways -- the writers don't really care what they're talking about.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby The Wrong Guy on Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:31 am

Beg to differ, mein freund. There's a marked difference between the episodes pre- and post-cancellation, and you can tell that -- now, anyways -- the writers don't really care what they're talking about.

American Dad on the other hand kicks a whole lot of ass.

As does KOTH.
The Wrong Guy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Family Guy missing scene

Postby Vegeta on Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:20 pm

I recall a scene in Family Guy that has disappeared:

The family is sitting around the TV watching the "Eight is Enough Reunion". Van Patton is sitting in a chair with two of his girls around him. He asks one of the girls where Nick is, and she replies "He's upstairs...". Van Patton says "Well , maybe I'll make him a sandwhich. Too which his blonde daughter replies "you always say that". Van Patton looks very cross at her, then proceeds to slap the shit out of her. The other daughter pulls him off saying "eight is enough, Dad!". Van Patton calms down then hugs the girls and says "I Love you girls". Pan back to the Griffens staring in total shock. Que opening credits.

What happened to this scene? It's not on the DVD's that is for sure (I've checked). Did they get sued or something.

Any other scenes you can think of that were dropped from shows after their first run?

I know that part of a scene on the Simpsons is missing. In the episode where Krusty fakes his death. While searching for Krusty, Bart and Lisa show the captain a baloon of Krusty. He says "Oh that's dancing Pete he dances for nickels... Pete, you got company." Then Bart and Lisa see the bad check from Krusty and rush out, droping a coin in dancing Pete's glass (cut scene). Originally, after that Pete starts dancing and the Captain says "Ah, they gave 'em a quater, now he'll never stop dancing.".

So what's that about?
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:29 pm

I remember both of them. Can't tell ya what happened though
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:30 pm

It's from "Brian: Portrait of a Dog". And the eight is enough bit is definitely on my DVD.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:32 pm

Hmmmm CN still rebroadcasts it that way.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:36 pm

Yeah, it's on my DVD too, so I don't know what's going on there. The Simpsons thing is a bit more perplexing. In syndication bits are sometimes cut out from time to time to leave more room for commercials, but if this is the DVD you're referring to the elision makes no sense.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Vegeta on Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:39 pm

Fried Gold wrote:It's from "Brian: Portrait of a Dog". And the eight is enough bit is definitely on my DVD.

Hmmm... I swore I checked every episode, we'll see :oops:

But regardless, there are tons of missing/cut scenes from Simpsons in syndication.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:43 pm

The Simpsons edits were, I think, explained in passing on one of the DVD commentaries.

There is now more time devoted to advertising in a half hour timeslot, so bits have to be cut out to make old episodes fit.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby isNegative on Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:27 am

Having just come from reading the Futurama thread here... I think that it's funny that the Professor no longer says "Sweet Zombie Jesus!" anymore when they air that episode on CN...
isNegative
GLIB

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:34 am

Pussy Christians insulted by a zombie Jesus......That's like the whole crux of your religion people....
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

(Family Guy) Stewie talk show coming to a computer near you

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:35 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/01/25/television.familyguy.reut/index.html

Not sure how this will go. I think they are tring to milk that damn cow dry.
Last edited by Bob Samonkey on Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Seppuku on Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:37 pm

Fox Interactive Media president Orss Levinsohn wrote:We think that the property is perfectly suited for that audience

Is he suggesting there's something wrong with some of the folks on the net? How dare he!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:50 pm

LAS VEGAS, Nevada (Hollywood Reporter) wrote: -- Heeeeere's Stewie!

The tyrannical tyke in the Fox animated series "Family Guy" will be the virtual host of a talk show being developed strictly for the Internet later this year.

Stewie's show will be based on familyguy.com (http://www.familyguy.com) and other News Corp.-owned Web properties catering to the young demographics that have embraced the Fox series.

"We think that the property is perfectly suited for that audience," Fox Interactive Media president Ross Levinsohn said Tuesday.

He added that the idea for the show has been embraced on Madison Avenue by potential advertisers. He does not expect the program to cannibalize viewing for the Fox series or other "Family" brand extensions like DVD.

Stewie wouldn't be the first animated character to get his own talk show; that distinction belongs to "Space Ghost Coast to Coast," which aired on Cartoon Network.

For those who don't like to click things
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby so sorry on Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:36 pm

What the deuce?!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:46 pm

SpaceGhost coast to coast was funny shit. i'll tune in to Stewie to check out his online schtick. if he is as funny there as he is on the show it will be worth it.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Shane on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:07 am

I can't wait to see this.
Shane
AIRWOLF

The Official Family Guy Thread (now w/ Star Wars!!)

Postby papalazeru on Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:10 pm

Check this out! Geek paradise.

Family Guy Star Wars

It's a preview from a one hour special coming up soon.

Pure quality.

Thanks Lingling.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby The Ginger Man on Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:29 pm

Wow...that was really bad.

Strange that FG and Robot Chicken are both coming out with a Star Wars special. Comparing previous RC Star Wars sketches to this clip, I think RC will be the best...which is weird since they share almost the same creative teams.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:32 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:Wow...that was really good. .

Fixed :P
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:03 pm

I love peanut butter and chocolate moments like these.

"Hey, Obi-Wan, we meet again...what part of 'Stay 50 feet away' don't you understand?!"
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:40 pm

we have like 5 FG threads with about 3 posts each, so this is now the "Official" FG thread.

My kingdom for a thread merge feature.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Fievel on Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:40 pm

Oh my god.... this looks hilarious!!!!
R2-D2 is going to steal the show.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:46 pm

I love the voice acting on bits like moving the couch. That realistic barrage of stop stop stop stop stop....sorta thing.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:54 pm

"To me....to you....to me....no, to you..."

+

"Their breaking through the blast doors!"

+

"IT'S PEANUT BUTTER N JELLY TIME!! IT'S PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY TIME....WAYYYYYO WAYYYOO!"

=

A work of pure genius.

I'm going to love this.

Apparently Robot Chicken are working on one as well.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:57 pm

Robot Chicken's one is out on the 16th I believe.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:58 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:I love the voice acting on bits like moving the couch. That realistic barrage of stop stop stop stop stop....sorta thing.

That's one of the things I love about Family Guy - the realistic everyday humor in simple things like that.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:58 pm

I laughed. Obi Wan as Pederast is genius.

Those Manatees sure lucked out this time :wink:
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:23 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Those Manatees sure lucked out this time :wink:

Even though I love Family Guy that South Park episode was spot on.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:35 pm

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:15 pm

So...anybody watch this?

There were spots that were funny...for some reason the beginning "crawl" really made me laugh. The other parts that were funny were mostly contained in the preview.

Overall, pretty disappointed in the humor. The animation was fantastic...and not just the spaceship shots. I've seen A New Hope enough times to know how each character MOVES during each scene, and they nailed it. There were a couple of other funny bits calling out WTF moments from A New Hope, like Han Solo's "Besides, I know a few maneuvers, we'll lose them"...and then the Falcon just slowly meanders slightly to the left....

The part at the end regarding Robot Chicken was pretty funny.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby godzillasushi on Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:29 pm

The only laughs I got from that show, as usual, was the old man as Obi-Wan. I mean, I can go 15 episodes without laughing at anything on that show except him. He is so freaking funny. Just the way he moans when he finds Chris knocked out in Jundland.

And yea, they really nailed all the important scenes in the movie. Like the opening shot with the destroyer attacking Leia's ship. The lasers that were fired were spot on to the movie. Pretty great even without much funny. I liked it way more then I like the show.

Of course, The Simpsons came before it and really set a high bar with all the references to the movie.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:41 pm

Eh. It was okay.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby unikrunk on Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:20 pm

Nordling wrote:Eh. It was okay.

Agreed. Your AV is funnier than the entire hour they cooked up.

The flacid lightsaber was funny, and I liked the guys in the laser tunnel thing. "Can we get a handrail in here?"
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:27 pm

Can anyone confirm for me that Coach McGuirk of Home Movies fame was actually sitting in the cantina scene? Cuz that's badass if it's true.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:45 pm

Fawst wrote:Can anyone confirm for me that Coach McGuirk of Home Movies fame was actually sitting in the cantina scene? Cuz that's badass if it's true.

I doubt it, but I did see Roger from American Dad in there. That was worth a chuckle.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:46 pm

I disagree with most in here. I thought it was great.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:59 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:I disagree with most in here. I thought it was great.

Yeah, I laughed out loud...... and I watched it on a television with an ANTENNA!! Frakkin' lack of cable... grumble grumble.... that's ending this week.

The Dirty Dancing scene was horrible and almost killed it for me. It was unfunny and a waste of time... much like the Deal Or No Deal joke.
But most of it just cracked me up. The hardest laughs came from them deconstructing the WTF?!? moments from the original movie.
-the hand rail
-Han's "maneuver"
-Han singing while shooting TIE Fighters (and Thai Fighter)
-John Williams
-Red Team (that was really Helen Reddy)
-The couch
-Meg
-C-3PO & R2-D2 getting high
-R2's sister Regina D2
-Robot Chicken

I know I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby SilentBobX on Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:28 pm

After watching the episode I can safely say that Spaceballs is now the #2 Star Wars parody.

Hilarious stuff. I could've done w/out the Griswolds and Magic Johnson bits, which were lame, but the rest is pure gold. Seth McFarlane, you are a genius, sir. I was a bit stunned tho that he didn't make fun of the penis shaped R2D2 interface tool he used to save them from the compactor and the whole good luck kiss before swinging across the ravine I thought would've been perfect. Oh well.

Leia: Aren't you a little f.at to be a stormtrooper?

Luke: Ok, stay here and rot you stuck up bitch.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Nordling on Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:38 pm

Apparently Lucasfilm told them to cut down on the incest Luke/Leia jokes. And with Leia being Luke's, erm, mom, in this... I could see their point.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:42 pm

SilentBobX wrote:
Leia: Aren't you a little f.at to be a stormtrooper?

Luke: Ok, stay here and rot you stuck up bitch.

Oh damn, yeah, I forgot about that quote. This probably made me laugh harder than anything else in the ep.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby godzillasushi on Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:52 pm

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34165

See look what you all have done. You are just encouraging the manatees!...

[quote="Herc"]Sunday night’s “Star Warsâ€
Last edited by godzillasushi on Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:53 pm

Is Empire Strikes Back next?

If this became FG's version of the Simpsons Halloween Episode, I'd have no complaints... although it would suck for them if they got canceled before they did all 6.

EDIT - Sushi, you are much faster than I. But I may have the last laugh if I actually beat one of your football teams tonight!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:58 pm

I can't believe I missed this! :(

I hope it airs again.
Maui
WoWie

PreviousNext

Return to Animation