Family Guy/Cleveland Show/American Dad

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:01 pm

Unfortunately, Maui, you may have to wait for DVD...of course i'm sure there are...slightly less legal...versions out on the internets already.

Given its ratings, I'd be surprised if they didn't actually re-air it.

[quote="godzillasushi"]http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34165

See look what you all have done. You are just encouraging the manatees!...

[quote="Herc"]Sunday night’s “Star Warsâ€
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Maui on Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:06 pm

Nordling wrote:Apparently Lucasfilm told them to cut down on the incest Luke/Leia jokes. And with Leia being Luke's, erm, mom, in this... I could see their point.

They had some funny Luke/Leia bits on the Robot Chicken's Star Wars special. That was Adult Swim though - they have a little more room I would imagine. Fox seems to be rather uptight!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fawst on Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:19 pm

R O F L!!! I'm about 15 minutes in, and I'm DYING!!! "Hey, why would you hang that up, it looks so tantalizing!" Fucking high-larious!!!
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:23 pm

MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Ribbons on Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:24 pm

I don't think ESB is as ripe for poking fun at as A New Hope is, but if it's what people want, more power to them, I guess.

Most of the character connections match up pretty well, but they're just going to have to go with Stewie being Chris' father. Although I don't think there's any real way to make them all correspond exactly.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:29 pm

Who's gonna be Lando?
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Ribbons on Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:31 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Who's gonna be Lando?

Oh snaps, good point. Cleveland's wife?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:33 pm

Ribbons wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:Who's gonna be Lando?

Oh snaps, good point. Cleveland's wife?

heheheh, Cleveland would be the obvious choice, but he's taken as R2D2...with Lando's "smooth guy" persona, though, Quagmire would be funnier...but he's taken too. They may have to juggle the roles a little.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Fievel on Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:36 pm

Ribbons wrote:I don't think ESB is as ripe for poking fun at as A New Hope is, but if it's what people want, more power to them, I guess.

Most of the character connections match up pretty well, but they're just going to have to go with Stewie being Chris' father. Although I don't think there's any real way to make them all correspond exactly.

I think there's plenty to be found in ESB for the Family Guy crew. I mean, they made me laugh with a joke about McMillan & Wife before.... I think they can make me laugh with ESB.
Tauntauns & the Wampa - funny shit there.
Dagobah/Yoda - PLENTY of opportunity.
Cloud City - not a lot there, except Lando
Luke & Vader - TONS of opportunity.

Joe needs a part. I was sad that he wasn't in the episode last night. If Peter's father or Mr. Weed were still alive, they could be characters, too. Cleveland's wife is another possible player.

Who would play:
-Lando
-Emperor
-Boba Fett
-Lobot

I'm sure Meg could easily be recast as an Ugnaught.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:40 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Quickly! Before it's gone!

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

Part Four

Part Five

Oh this is good! Stewie as Vader! hahahah

Merci for the links!! :)
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:24 pm

That was very funny!

The old pervert as Obi Wan doing the Dirty Dancing.

Magic Johnson...

Macys/JcPenny map....

The fighter flying to rap music...

Lots of good chuckles!
Maui
WoWie

Postby LaDracul on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:00 pm

Hyperspace being the Tom Baker years opening credits of "Dr. Who"...fucking brilliant.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby bluebottle on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:04 pm

Man, I don't want to get into a TB'er type rant, and stick with the "No Hate Debate" mantra on which the Zone was founded BUT:

What is the deal with this show? I've never found it funny, and I just watched the Star Wars episode... It's nothing but a truncated version of the first movie, with a bunch of lame "references" (they're not jokes) thrown throughout... It's not parody (this is closer to Epic Movie than Airplane) it's just cheap. A ten year old could write this stuff (this is below the manatees at this point).

Am I alone on this?
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby darkjedijaina on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:11 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Man, I don't want to get into a TB'er type rant, and stick with the "No Hate Debate" mantra on which the Zone was founded BUT:

What is the deal with this show? I've never found it funny, and I just watched the Star Wars episode... It's nothing but a truncated version of the first movie, with a bunch of lame "references" (they're not jokes) thrown throughout... It's not parody (this is closer to Epic Movie than Airplane) it's just cheap. A ten year old could write this stuff (this is below the manatees at this point).

Am I alone on this?

Heh. Yeah, I've never actually watched a full episode of this show, as the previews and stuff that I've seen before never really appealed to me much. I just watched this, thanks to the links provided above, but I didn't really find it to be all that humorous. I mean, I smiled a bit at some things...but perhaps you have to be a fan of the show to really get it? I dunno.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:18 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Am I alone on this?

i haven't (and won't) see this, but you're not alone in that very apt description of FG.

that's Family Guy, not Fried Gold.

'cuz he's WAY funnier than the show.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:19 pm

This morning I was going to ask what is supposed to be funny about Family Guy, but I didn't want to look like a hater. Now I can admit I'm a hater. I'm not. I just didn't laugh at what I've seen of the show and don't understand its appeal to a large audience - certainly not its appeal to such a large audience that they seem to have cloned FG into the very little I've seen of American Dad.

The animation on the space ships was pretty good, but I'm assuming most of that was roto work.
Last edited by DennisMM on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Maui on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:19 pm

Boo Hiss to all of you!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted:
Maui
WoWie

Postby DennisMM on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:23 pm

Isn't Stewie basically The Brain?
DennisMM

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:25 pm

DennisMM wrote:Isn't Stewie basically The Brain?

Not really. Early on they played up Stewie wanting to rule the world etc but that's been gone for a while.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:27 pm

That's how long it's been since I watched the show.

And with that I will no longer dump on the program.
DennisMM

Postby Maui on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:30 pm

American Dad is funny too - same creator.

Anyone like that? :shock:
Maui
WoWie

Postby bluebottle on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:31 pm

I just feel like a lot of Family Guy's "jokes" are mean spirited (besides the fact that they aren't actually jokes).

They tend to make fun of the stuff that's easy to make fun of.

South Park, The Simpsons, Venture Brothers - they make fun of authority, absurdities, hypocrisies...

Family Guy makes fun of cripples and retards. It makes fun of stuff that's way too easy a target.

Like, South Park uses a cripple to make fun of the way people react/treat/behave towards/around a cripple. While Family Guy makes fun of the cripple.

It's not that it's "not" funny (humor is subjective) it's just that it feels cheap and easy.

I don't even want to get into the references, because that's just lame on top of lame.

Feel free to debate me on this, because frankly, I feel like the Zone has fallen into the "David Cassidy Fan Club" and no one wants to admit they don't like something, or argue about it, because they'll get flamed as being a "hater".

Bring IT!
Last edited by bluebottle on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:34 pm

What's wrong with David Cassidy? hmmmmmmmmmm?
Maui
WoWie

Postby The Todd on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:40 pm

Just watched this. The first 15 minutes or so have some laughs. After that, it went downhill fast.

"It's the ship the made the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs"

"Isn't a parsec a measure of distance?"

Funniest line in the show.
i reject your reality and substitute my own
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:51 pm

I dunno, I don't think Family Guy is any different than South Park or Simpsons. They all have their fair share of making fun of this and that - beit race, religion, politics, and/or celebrity mocking. I don't think the delivery in Family Guy is more mean spirited.

My 2 cents - if it's Canadian, its par with US now! ;)
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:09 pm

Bluebottle wrote:I just feel like a lot of Family Guy's "jokes" are mean spirited (besides the fact that they aren't actually jokes).

They tend to make fun of the stuff that's easy to make fun of.

South Park, The Simpsons, Venture Brothers - they make fun of authority, absurdities, hypocrisies...

Family Guy makes fun of cripples and retards. It makes fun of stuff that's way too easy a target.

Like, South Park uses a cripple to make fun of the way people react/treat/behave towards/around a cripple. While Family Guy makes fun of the cripple.

It's not that it's "not" funny (humor is subjective) it's just that it feels cheap and easy.

I don't even want to get into the references, because that's just lame on top of lame.

Feel free to debate me on this, because frankly, I feel like the Zone has fallen into the "David Cassidy Fan Club" and no one wants to admit they don't like something, or argue about it, because they'll get flamed as being a "hater".

Bring IT!

Wow.
I'd say that South Park is 10 times as mean-spirited than Family Guy ever was. Case in point - the Christopher Reeve episode. I used to be a huge South Park fan, but gradually stopped watching. Now I just can't watch it.
Obviously, it's all about personal tastes... but that doesn't make for a good argument now, does it?

And Family Guy.... Dude should have died on a plane on 9/11, but he overslept and missed the flight. If you hate Family Guy, you hate democracy!!!!!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:13 pm

Bluebottle wrote: I feel like the Zone has fallen into the "David Cassidy Fan Club" and no one wants to admit they don't like something, or argue about it, because they'll get flamed as being a "hater".

Are you serious? I've seen just the opposite. It seems The Zone is gradually becoming as full of vitriol and venom as the TBs.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:19 pm

I actually subscribe to the camp that older episodes of "Family Guy" were good (but not the really old ones) but that it's sort of... callous ever since it was revived. In fact it kind of makes me afeard that my beloved "Futurama" will have undergone a similar transformation during its hiatus.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:20 pm

Fawst wrote:Can anyone confirm for me that Coach McGuirk of Home Movies fame was actually sitting in the cantina scene? Cuz that's badass if it's true.

Yeah that was him...

I thought that was a weird place to put him...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Maui on Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:21 pm

Ribbons wrote:I actually subscribe to the camp that older episodes of "Family Guy" were good (but not the really old ones) but that it's sort of... callous ever since it was revived. In fact it kind of makes me afeard that my beloved "Futurama" will have undergone a similar transformation during its hiatus.

Well see I watched Family Guy years ago too - so I am more familiar with the earlier episodes as well.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:25 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
Bluebottle wrote: I feel like the Zone has fallen into the "David Cassidy Fan Club" and no one wants to admit they don't like something, or argue about it, because they'll get flamed as being a "hater".

Are you serious? I've seen just the opposite. It seems The Zone is gradually becoming as full of vitriol and venom as the TBs.

I hate both of you guys!! And the dog you rode in on...

Oh and :wink:
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:26 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Are you serious? I've seen just the opposite. It seems The Zone is gradually becoming as full of vitriol and venom as the TBs.

that statement puts the re in ALF!

go animate some beavers you no talent h@ck, closest thing you'll get to vagina in your sorry, pathetic existence!

/irony.

no, but really, now, you jest?

I thought you didn't even read the TB's, so how would you know?

when's the last time we had a major blow up in here? Been awhile, far as I can recall. And if you consider the Zone to be a virtual on-line family (like I do), then getting all belligerent and airing grievances every once in a while is not only cathartic, it's fun!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:29 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:when's the last time we had a major blow up in here? Been awhile, far as I can recall. And if you consider the Zone to be a virtual on-line family (like I do), then getting all belligerent and airing grievances every once in a while is not only cathartic, it's fun!

Last major blowup I remember is the Grindhouse debacle.
Famous Zone Blowups.... someone start the thread!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby tapehead on Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:30 pm

Ribbons wrote:I actually subscribe to the camp that older episodes of "Family Guy" were good (but not the really old ones) but that it's sort of... callous ever since it was revived. In fact it kind of makes me afeard that my beloved "Futurama" will have undergone a similar transformation during its hiatus.

I'm going to pretend you didn't say that - and it's our beloved Futurama...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:37 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
when's the last time we had a major blow up in here? Been awhile, far as I can recall. And if you consider the Zone to be a virtual on-line family (like I do), then getting all belligerent and airing grievances every once in a while is not only cathartic, it's fun!

it was like a week ago...OH you mean other than amongst the mods.

:wink:
Lord Voldemoo

Postby bluebottle on Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:17 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:

If it's happening here, then I've missed it.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:23 pm

For the most part Family Guy stopped being funny when I stopped smoking weed. I am not saying that Family Guy fans are drug addicts or anything... that's just when the shine came off the apple for me.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby bluebottle on Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:29 pm

Fievel wrote:Wow.
I'd say that South Park is 10 times as mean-spirited than Family Guy ever was. Case in point - the Christopher Reeve episode. I used to be a huge South Park fan, but gradually stopped watching. Now I just can't watch it.
Obviously, it's all about personal tastes... but that doesn't make for a good argument now, does it?

No, I think you're right, in a sense.

I think that when South Park wants to be mean, they can be mean as hell. Like, an unholy kind of mean. When they made fun of Sally Struthers, they weren't making fun of anything other than the fact that Sally Struthers is studly and tries to help the poor.

I'm not sure what I'm trying to say.

I guess it's that Family Guy is mean spirited, but lacks any kind of substance to it. It's shallow, the jokes are mostly pop culture references, and it's mean spirited, yet it lacks satire.

South Park is all of those things, but manages to have a satirical edge. When it goes for the lowest common denominator, that's usually part of the joke. They freely admit that they're being mean for the sake of mean. At least more recently, in the Sally Struthers case, it was just mean.

(I think South Park has actually gotten funnier and more pointed, and I agree that the first three years of Family Guy were better than they are now)

Does that make sense, or am I digging my own grave?

I don't want this to turn into a South Park vs. Family guy debate (which will be my fault if it does) that plagues the TB's, so I apologize for this...

As for personal taste. I agree that we can't debate that, but there's nothing wrong with "I like the show because of this" and "I don't like the show because of that" kind of discussion, is there? It might ultimately boil down to personal taste, but that's what this is all about, isn't it?

As long as we don't get into any kind of, "well, if you don't like it, you're an idiot" kind of thing, then we're safe from turning into the TB's.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:44 pm

I don't think it's a South Park vs Family Guy debate - I just don't think one is better than the other or more politically correct. I think they have both been equally tacky and tasteless in many areas. Similar to the EFBR ;) ;)

Thing is, what's funny to some of us - isn't funny to others. Strikes a different chord is all.

I found the Scientology episodes hilarious (re. South Park) - with Tom Cruise not coming out of the closet, whereas I knew other peeps didn't think it was so funny. Chef sure didn't think it was funny, did he?
Maui
WoWie

Postby bluebottle on Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:55 pm

Maui wrote:I don't think it's a South Park vs Family Guy debate - I just don't think one is better than the other or more politically correct. I think they have both been equally tacky and tasteless in many areas. Similar to the EFBR ;) ;)

You know what it is? It's like, Family Guy goes for the nuts, while South Park goes for the throat.

I found the Scientology episodes hilarious (re. South Park) - with Tom Cruise not coming out of the closet, whereas I knew other peeps didn't think it was so funny. Chef sure didn't think it was funny, did he?

Maybe what I find funny about South Park is what some people find offensive. While what some people find funny about Family Guy, is the stuff I feel is cheep.

Is anyone truly offended by Family Guy? Or is it more of a "groan" kind of offensive.

Is the random "that was worse than the time Mr. T. did my tax return only to have me audited by the Kool-Aide guy" type jokes what everyone loves about the show?

What is it that people find so hilarious about the show?

I'm asking in total sincerity.

And I don't think any less of anyone for liking the show. My girlfriend likes it, she just can't tell me why.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Todd on Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:58 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Is the random "that was worse than the time Mr. T. did my tax return only to have me audited by the Kool-Aide guy" type jokes what everyone loves about the show?

Sometimes they are hilarious. (when Peter plays the piano and Stewie says "Now play the walking-away music from the end of the Incredible Hulk" - Funny) Other times they are there just to be there. Those times are not funny.
i reject your reality and substitute my own
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby bluebottle on Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:02 am

Right... Maybe they just seem forced after a while...

I remember one where Spiderman saves Peter from falling off the roof of his house, and Peter says, "You saved me, Spiderman!" and Spiderman goes, "Everybody gets one" and swings off.

I laughed out loud at that.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:24 am

Or this?

Maui
WoWie

Postby Vegeta on Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:28 am

One of the annoying joke styles of Family Guy is the "overdoing the joke". Examples:

Stewie to Brian "...so how's you're novel coming?"
Peter hits his shin "SHHHHHHH, AHHHHHHHH!"
Peter in Line behind Robert Logia "R is for Robert Logia"
Joe crying at the Drunken clam while the rest of the group slowly slinks out of the picture.

And far too many others to count. Some are funny, some are painful. Most become painful after one veiwing. They seem to toss one of these "seemingly uncomfortable enlongated one punch line jokes" into every episode. It's just a "meh" concept to me, considering many are more than a minute or two long. It's like lazy writing or something, like they don't have enough jokes for a full episode, so they draw out one or two jokes to like a two or three minute stretches each.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Maui on Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:31 am

One thing I know for sure that I always liked about Family Guy - is all the 80's references. They will throw in a Chuckwagon commercial, brady bunch reference, etc. - and I just found that very amusing.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Ribbons on Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:39 am

Vegeta wrote:One of the annoying joke styles of Family Guy is the "overdoing the joke". Examples:

Joe crying at the Drunken clam while the rest of the group slowly slinks out of the picture.

Chicken fight... :wink:

The visual gag where Joe started sobbing uncontrollably and the rest of the group slithered out of the booth cracked me up, actually. Especially when Peter came back for the beer. But I do know what you mean. I think you can tell when those kinds of jokes are forced or not. Like they're trying to reverse-engineer an awesomely awkwardly long moment, if that makes sense. Those are usually the ones that don't work.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tapehead on Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:41 am

Ribbons wrote:
Vegeta wrote:One of the annoying joke styles of Family Guy is the "overdoing the joke". Examples:

These are actually some of my favourite Family Guy moments - seriously. They clearly have antecedents in The Simpsons (Homer 'whooping' and doing that lying on the floor, running in circles bit, Ralph Wiggum's 'Duck, duck, duck, duck, duck, duck, duck, duck, duck...'), but I love these visual gags, and Stewie teasing Brian about his novel is hilarious.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fievel on Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:45 am

Chicken fight was/is great.

The gags mentioned above... again, just personal preference, but I loved all of them (the novel cracked me up). The 70's & 80's pop culture jokes kill me every time. Maybe it's an age thing? Probably not.

I don't think it needs to be a South Park -vs- Family Guy debate either... since Harvey Birdman is half the length and usually kills both in my opinion (although I do miss Stephen Colbert on there).
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:48 am

tapehead wrote:
Ribbons wrote:
Ve geta wrote:One of the annoying joke styles of Family Guy is the "overdoing the joke". Examples:

These are actually some of my favourite Family Guy moments - seriously.

Hehe, I have to admit, I have a soft spot for the chicken fights as well. The last one was almost 6 minutes long.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:50 am

so do i, the more ridiculously long they get, the more i laugh at the chicken fights.
Lord Voldemoo

PreviousNext

Return to Animation