Family Guy/Cleveland Show/American Dad

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Postby athenabodicea on Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:55 am

no king kong
no jedi
no x men

no vote
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby thomasgaffney on Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:56 am

athenabodicea wrote:no king kong
no jedi
no x men

no vote

IPAMPILASH!

We need Doc to add a POLL topic to the Rules Thread about permanent poll choices. Stupid n00bs.....
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby athenabodicea on Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:57 am

They will learn just as we all had to... :D
Nothing good comes easy.... :wink:

My very first poll I only ran for a week... Dumbass....lol....
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:26 am

But . . .

King Kong?

No King Kong?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Agent Alonzo on Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:32 am

Flumm?
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:45 am

Flumm???

FLUMM!!!!!

NOOOOO!!!!!
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby jordan on Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:05 am

Um...don't really care what it rips off...it works...
"It's not who I am inside...but what I do that defines me..."
jordan
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby bluebottle on Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:15 am

man, a noob had to get things back on topic. what's wrong with you people.

THANK YOU JORDAN, AND WELCOME TO THE ZONE.

Family Guy steals from everything... and this season isn't that great.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DorkmanScott on Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:27 am

Family Guy steals mostly from Star Wars.

Is anyone else annoyed rather than amused at how the episodes will now take entire scenes of movies, wholesale, and just replace a few characters, and let it run for a good five minutes? No punchline, nothing tweaked except the presence of FG characters. It was funny the first time when the kids sang So Long, Farewell, and kind of funny when they did the ANH closing for the latest season premiere, but they're starting to do it every other episode and it's getting old. There's no sense of comedic timing anymore.
DorkmanScott
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby buster00 on Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:54 am

South Park.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:09 am

Guys can we lay off the kong stuff? It was funny and still is funny when it randomly appears, but this thread derailed with the 3rd response!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Ribbons on Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:31 am

DorkmanScott wrote:Family Guy steals mostly from Star Wars.

Is anyone else annoyed rather than amused at how the episodes will now take entire scenes of movies, wholesale, and just replace a few characters, and let it run for a good five minutes? No punchline, nothing tweaked except the presence of FG characters. It was funny the first time when the kids sang So Long, Farewell, and kind of funny when they did the ANH closing for the latest season premiere, but they're starting to do it every other episode and it's getting old. There's no sense of comedic timing anymore.

Usually it's not like that. Something happens (at least) slightly differently because the Family Guy characters are in there. But in the case of Star Wars, it was done because Episode III opened that Wednesday.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:34 am

the Jedi win! I don't care if Phoenix can eat the sun!

wait, what were we talking about again?
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby tfactor on Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:42 am

this thread sucks, the poll sucks, the family guy bashing sucks, the whole thing BLOWS

I'm not trying to be mean, I know the last couple episodes have been sub par, but think about how many simpson episode sucked, yet the show goes on. Also lets not forget the creators of family guy are doing two shows, family guy & american dad (which feels like the little brother that gets all the shitty jokes and poor dialogue)

Stealing ideas is not anything new, nor will it ever stop. Unfortunately the world is shy of original ideas and thinkers, however if a show can produce something that makes people smile, that's good enough for me.

so to quote Stewie
"these outrages I've suffered today will not be forgotten, no no, I will not be forgetting these outrages, no these out.."

Brian "yeah outrages I think we got it"
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:05 pm

I've never seen The Critic unfortunately. It was never shown in the UK, to my knowledge, and is difficult to source on DVD.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby BobGobbler on Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:42 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I've never seen The Critic unfortunately. It was never shown in the UK, to my knowledge, and is difficult to source on DVD.

It's available pretty much everywhere on DVD. However, I don't know if it's available in your region.
Peter Jackson is overrated.
BobGobbler
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DorkmanScott on Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:00 pm

Ribbons wrote:
DorkmanScott wrote:Family Guy steals mostly from Star Wars.

Usually it's not like that. Something happens (at least) slightly differently because the Family Guy characters are in there. But in the case of Star Wars, it was done because Episode III opened that Wednesday.

What about the shot-for-shot recreation of Little Shop of Horror's "Somewhere That's Green?"

And the last episode where Stewie not once, but TWICE, derailed the entire episode by going off on a ramble about the elements of classical storytelling in Brian's novel.

Frankly, I think American Dad is getting funnier by the episode, and Family Guy is starting to stagnate in its own assurance that it's got a fan base big enough to resurrect it. Yeah, the Simpsons has subpar episodes, but they had brilliant ones for the first EIGHT YEARS. Family Guy is losing it at three.
DorkmanScott
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:30 pm

Stewies awkward ramblings are hilarious. Ripping off someone elses joke isn't a problem, as long as it's funnier than the original. I remember a year after Family Guy was cancelled the Simpsons ripped off the "Fonzie smashing his hand into a jukebox" joke and it wasn't a quarter as funny as when Peter did it.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Crayotic Rockwell on Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:01 pm

Shame that American Dad is berift of any likeable characters in it beyond Stan Smith

Family Guy still makes me laugh hard though.. the main gripe i had with this new batch of seasons was it seemed to go for the crude joke a little too often, just coz they could
The Anime Stock Exchange for all your anime tripe
Crayotic Rockwell
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Ribbons on Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:14 pm

DorkmanScott wrote:What about the shot-for-shot recreation of Little Shop of Horror's "Somewhere That's Green?"

And the last episode where Stewie not once, but TWICE, derailed the entire episode by going off on a ramble about the elements of classical storytelling in Brian's novel.

I don't think I saw that Little Shop of Horrors reference. Also I don't get how Stewie talking about storytelling is ripping off anything. Plus, I'm not saying that they never do it; obviously in the post I responded to you brought up the Sound of Music thing. But it's not just this quoting for the sake of it most of the time.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:31 am

I don't know from whom Family Guy steals from, but I know SNL has stolen from Family Guy in the past.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby BobGobbler on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:35 am

I get sick of a different stolen part of Indiana Jones ending every episode.
BobGobbler
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby jordan on Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:06 am

Bluebottle: I'm happy you've wasted a small whole-number-percentage of your life posting forum topics and replies here, but let me point something out to you.

Just because I joined the forum here doesn't mean I'm a know-nothing idiot.

It's funny when people get made fun of in evil ways here on AICN, especially talkback, but with people like you, it gets kind of strangely annoying.

Either way, Family Guy is 10 times more interesting than The Simpsons' new episodes. I don't care if you want to recall a past season that you think was great only because you saw someone else say it was in a different forum...perhaps a comment on Amazon.com to that specific box set.

So, moving on, I don't care what Family Guy "stole" from...I'll say it again...it's working...and if you don't think it is then you are probably one of those people in the extreme minority that liked Arrested Development...it's a comedy too good to be funny! "Now where are my black glasses, I must head to my political rally on campus."
jordan
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Ribbons on Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:14 am

It's okay jordan... breathe.... breathe.... goose ba-ba...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby bluebottle on Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:20 am

hey jordan, if you look closely at my original post, i was thanking you for getting this thread back on track. the second part of my post was MY opinion of the topic, not a direct attack on you.

there's no need to personally attack me because you misunderstood my post.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby jordan on Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:46 am

Bluebottle wrote:hey jordan, if you look closely at my original post, i was thanking you for getting this thread back on track. the second part of my post was MY opinion of the topic, not a direct attack on you.

there's no need to personally attack me because you misunderstood my post.

*shoots self*

ok, i must be a n00b then :p

damn that was stupid of me :lol:
jordan
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:48 am

OMG< HE SHOT HIMS3LF! CALL TEH D0C70R
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby John-Locke on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:35 pm

The Doctor is in!

John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby buster00 on Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:35 am

Awww...!!! This is the most ADORABLE SUICIDE EVER! Good boy! Whooza gooboy? Yes, you are..

COME BACK WITH JORDAN'S BRAIN!!! DOCTOR, WAIT!!!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:56 am

Perhaps it's because I'm a Family Guy fan, but I've been noticing that a lot of shows have starting stealing from Family Guy recently.

And Family Guy is the funniest thing on TV. Fuck. Da. Haterz.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby buster00 on Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:32 am

Uh, Nacho, what shows are stealing from "Family Guy"?

"American Dad" doesn't count, duh.

Come to think of it, I caught Fox's "The War At Home" using the "quick flashback insert" style "FG" likes to use, but I won't count that show either because it blows.

So besides that...?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:52 am

There have been a few Simpsons episodes that have been a little too close for comfort. Remember when Homer had to take over for Death? When I saw that, I was like, "No, they're not going to rip them off that blantantly...oh, I guess they are."
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby buster00 on Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:50 pm

Aaah!! Haven't seen that one. Yeah, I'll give ya that one, definitely.

And BTW, I don't HATE "FG" or anything. I was just curious to know who was rippin' 'em off.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Anyone see Family Guy last night.....

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:48 am

Because if you didnt, you missed probably their best episode yet!

Jaws 5: Fire Island!!!

"its like sex with Koby Bryant.. You can kick and scream all you want, but its gonna happen"

Stewie in the seseme street pinball skit...

"we are WAY smarter than Madonna"

Stewies bath with Kathy Bates.... "yeah.. i think im gonna get out now"
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby RoyBatty on Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:15 am

1-2-3-4-5, 6-7-8-9-10, 11 12!

This is what I laughted the most at (*paraphrased*)

Uhm, yeah, I'm going to have to ask you to stop complaining. I'm also gonna have you move to the other table, mmmmk?

I love how they got Gary Cole to read that line, as well has the other lines that used Tom Bosley, Marian Ross, etc. Priceless.
RoyBatty
GLIB

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:17 am

RoyBatty wrote:1-2-3-4-5, 6-7-8-9-10, 11 12!

I missed the episode, but what I'm hearing in my head when I read this is the thing from Sesame Street. Right?
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:46 am

I didn't think it was too funny at all. The whole episode consisted of cut-away jokes and jokes other people did months ago. Meh.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:49 am

RogueScribner wrote:I didn't think it was too funny at all. The whole episode consisted of cut-away jokes and jokes other people did months ago. Meh.

Well, I didn't see it so I can't comment on the jokes that have been done, but the cut-away jokes are kinda what Family Guy does...
Lord Voldemoo

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:50 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
RoyBatty wrote:1-2-3-4-5, 6-7-8-9-10, 11 12!

I missed the episode, but what I'm hearing in my head when I read this is the thing from Sesame Street. Right?

Correct
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:53 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:I didn't think it was too funny at all. The whole episode consisted of cut-away jokes and jokes other people did months ago. Meh.

Well, I didn't see it so I can't comment on the jokes that have been done, but the cut-away jokes are kinda what Family Guy does...

The frequency of those cutaways seemed really high last night. It's like they only had 15 minutes worth of story so they had to pad the episode. I don't usually mind them, but last night they just seemed like filler to complete the running time.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:55 am

RogueScribner wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:

The frequency of those cutaways seemed really high last night. It's like they only had 15 minutes worth of story so they had to pad the episode. I don't usually mind them, but last night they just seemed like filler to complete the running time.

Unfortunately, I have no trouble believing that, I kinda gave up on any actual plotlines for Family Guy a while back and just hope for stream of consciousness humor.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby RapedByKong on Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:40 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:

Unfortunately, I have no trouble believing that, I kinda gave up on any actual plotlines for Family Guy a while back and just hope for stream of consciousness humor.

Thats what I've always done. Family guy isnt about a plot. If ur looking for a plot check out my back yard. or maybe not, since I am homeless
RapedByKong
GLIB

Postby BobGobbler on Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:58 pm

What movie did they steal from to end the episode this week?

Seth McFarlane is completely spent. He pads the show with complete rip-offs (not parodies) of pop culture and uses them to end the show when he can't figure out how to end it.
BobGobbler
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby tfactor on Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:15 pm

I think family guy is excellent still, and I've been a fan for a long time. I'll be honest and say that of recent the episodes have not been the best ever but still funnier than most shit on tv these days.

News flash for you SM haters; everyone steals ideas. In fact some of the best shit ever was stolen or based loosely or an unoriginal idea. I mean look at every simpsons halloween episode, everone of them was stolen from someone elses ideas. This past years Halloween episode was hysterical, but again not one original idea.

Now American Dad on the other hand is crap, but I've always considered that to be the little brother that never gets the really good jokes and has nothing but hand me downs all the way
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:27 pm

All ideas are stolen in someway or another and developing them does make stuff funnier, eg; family guy, simpsons and imho south park most of all.

bobgobbler and tfactor, put ya handbags away, the atmosphere in here is getting decidedly tense
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:30 pm

That's the way to show people with different opinions.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tfactor on Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:36 pm

cl you are corerct sir! this in no place for such hate, but this is part of the reason I retaliated against bob

if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. I'm just trying to be part of the solution, though harsh at times I tell it how it is.
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:38 pm

a man of action, i like it
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby BobGobbler on Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:56 pm

I made no personal attacks on anyone.

I admire your passion for one of your favorite shows, but there is simply no need to personally attack those that disagree with you.
BobGobbler
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:00 pm

BobGobbler wrote:there is simply no need to personally attack those that disagree with you.

Yeah? Well YOU SUCK!

Ha ha, just kidding by the way... Personally, I don't think the new Family Guy episodes are as good as the old ones, but I still like them.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

PreviousNext

Return to Animation