Billy and Mandy: for kids?

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Billy and Mandy: for kids?

Postby judderman on Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:57 am

I had to go to hospital to get my gallbladder checked out a few months back and the only thing to watch on TV was Murdoch news or cartoon network, which basically means Cartoon Network. I then discovered The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, and, while I loved it, I couldn't help feeling that I wouldn't want kids watching it; especially not before they'd learned such quaint concepts as "right" and "wrong". Mandy is so irredeemably evil gets punished so little (indeed she seems to have bent the town to her will, ala Billy Mumy in The Twilight Zone) that if there was such a thing as a bad role model, she would be it. Agreed? Or am I just getting too old?
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby unikrunk on Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:06 pm

My wife and I watch this all the time, and have asked that question to each other many times; conclusion, made for kids, but with just enough esoteric humor to make Mom and Dad watch too
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:09 pm

No, I agree with you. It's not shocking in the sense that kid's shows like "Ren & Stimpy" or "Invader Zim" are shocking for the graphic scatology/creepiness factor, but there's a callousness about it that's kind of fucked up. Everybody hates Billy for being a kind-hearted simpleton, whereas Mandy is a diabolical goth queen and she seems to be the show's champion.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby unikrunk on Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:14 pm

Wha? Billy is the evil one, Mandy is a typical tween (with the exception of the Grim Reaper bit).

Mandy is the voice of reason in a town of complete ALFs - I guess that does gel with American anti-intellectualism, so maybe they (the makers of the toon) are throwing a little social commentary in there. If you are smart, you are evil, if you are a rank and file ALF, you are getting your wings, baby.

/Do not eat from the tree of knowledge?
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:16 pm

D'oh! I guess now would be a good time to confess that I've only seen like two episodes. But I had assumed that Billy was the nice one, not vice versa.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby BuckyO'harre on Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:17 pm

Eh... well I'd say it's a 10 and up show.

Half of this show doesn't seem to be for kids anyway though.
All kinds of geeky references.
Hoss Delgado being a total rip of Snake Pliskin. The Cthulhu episode(which was great).

Look at the wiki entry.It mentions the more mature aspects.-

The show frequently uses gross-out humor, dealing with bodily functions or mutilation (without blood). A similar time was when Irwin called Grim "Lady Grim." Grim said, "Don't make me go medieval on your-" but is interrupted by Irwin, who says "As I was saying.." covering for Grim saying "Don't make me go medieval on your ass." In the episode "Keeper of the Reaper", the character Fred Fredburger uses the restroom, and comments later that "the nachos made his poopoo really stinky". Also in Herbicidal Maniac during General Skarr's pool party, Pud'n says someone dropped a "candy bar" in the swimming pool by saying "Mr. Skarr,There's a candy bar in the pool.", which is a tribute to the Film Caddyshack. There have been sequences where Billy or some other character eats their own mucus or earwax sometimes both.

The series has parodied many famous scenes from popular movies, such as The Ring, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Resident Evil, and Star Wars. At times the show features more adult-oriented double entendre humor, unusual given its kid-friendly rating.

The show sometimes uses an extreme fantasy violence, even to the point of showing gore, such as in the episode "Brown Evil." Because of the many similar occurrences, the show is rated in the US as TV-Y7-FV, where FV means a higher degree of the fantasy violence.

Brown evil is Hoss Delgados first appearance and they fight zombies. He has Ash-Evil Dead style weapons in his hand.Like a chainsaw firing crossbow,which is where the gore they mention comes from.

For kids or not, I love the show.
Harry Knowles even cameos, sort of...

as a druid.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:21 pm

Well there are definitely the cartoons that fall into the Adult Swim category. Boondocks, Futurama - just not appropriate for the youngins.

So many factors here, parenting style, age of kids, what YOU feel is appropriate not appropriate. Watching how your kids react while they watch these shows, do they look at you during certain dialogue? Is it making them scared at night? Kids will be exposed to this stuff sooner or later, whether's its in front of your TV or someone elses.
Maui
WoWie

Postby judderman on Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:24 pm

I wouldn't describe either of them as the "nice one"; the closest thing this show has to a "nice one" is Grim. Billy is self-centred, misogynistic, obnoxious and boorish, as well as being stupid. But I'm sorry, Mandy may be the only one with half a brain in Endsville, but that doesn't make her any less evil. Anyone whose personal motto is "I believe in abusing and exploiting the stupid" cannot have a heart of gold, especially if she also quotes Aleister Crowley.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby unikrunk on Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:33 pm

judderman wrote:I wouldn't describe either of them as the "nice one"; the closest thing this show has to a "nice one" is Grim. Billy is self-centred, misogynistic, obnoxious and boorish, as well as being stupid. But I'm sorry, Mandy may be the only one with half a brain in Endsville, but that doesn't make her any less evil. Anyone whose personal motto is "I believe in abusing and exploiting the stupid" cannot have a heart of gold, especially if she also quotes Aleister Crowley.

Hrrmmm, I suppose 'good' is a subjective term; I think what you have described is a normal teen. At least, that's how I was.

I, for one, think that a cartoon with an intelligent, strong and commanding female lead is fantastic for kids over 10.

Under 10, they would not get it, or they would get freaked out.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby BuckyO'harre on Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:49 pm

Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Orcus on Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:54 pm

I actually watch this with my little Demonoid, the show is a hoot.

Heck there is even a 2001 rip where it ends with Billy, Mandy and Grim winding up as the Powerpuff girls
"Where's you're God noooooow???!!"
Orcus
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Al Shut on Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:25 pm

unikrunk wrote:
judderman wrote: Anyone whose personal motto is "I believe in abusing and exploiting the stupid" cannot have a heart of gold, especially if she also quotes Aleister Crowley.

Hrrmmm, I suppose 'good' is a subjective term; I think what you have described is a normal teen. At least, that's how I was.

I thought it was already established that you are the very personification of evil.

That said now I'm kind of pissed that I can't watch this show.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby SilentBobX on Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:27 pm

Billy and Mandy is ok, but when did the Grim Reaper suddenly turn into a bisexual jamaican drug dealer? Well, that's what he sounds like to me, or maybe I'm projecting.

BTW, judderman, I've had my gall bladder removed. Definitely not fun. Plus it happened on the job, which was pretty dangerous. Never felt pain like that in my life and I hope never to again.

Mahalo
Last edited by SilentBobX on Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby unikrunk on Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:32 pm

SilentBobX wrote:Billy and Mandy is ok, but when did the Grim Reaper suddenly turn into a bisexual jamaican drug dealer? Well, that's what he sounds like to me, or maybe I'm projecting.

BTW, judderman, I've had my gall bladder removed to. Definitely not fun. Plus it happened on the job, which was pretty dangerous. Never felt pain like that in my life and I hope never to again.

Mahalo

They removed it right there, on the job? Do you live in a Monty Python movie?
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:37 pm

Al_Shut wrote:
unikrunk wrote:
judderman wrote: Anyone whose personal motto is "I believe in abusing and exploiting the stupid" cannot have a heart of gold, especially if she also quotes Aleister Crowley.

I thought it was already established that you are the very personification of evil.

A German calling a Canadian evil. Amazing.

:wink:
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby SilentBobX on Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:41 pm

unikrunk wrote:
SilentBobX wrote:Billy and Mandy is ok, but when did the Grim Reaper suddenly turn into a bisexual jamaican drug dealer? Well, that's what he sounds like to me, or maybe I'm projecting.

BTW, judderman, I've had my gall bladder removed to. Definitely not fun. Plus it happened on the job, which was pretty dangerous. Never felt pain like that in my life and I hope never to again.

Mahalo

They removed it right there, on the job? Do you live in a Monty Python movie?

Yes, unikrunk. Sad thing was, Dr. House removed it after his 3 doctors argued for 20 min. what it might be, then he came in and pulled it out with the corkscrew part of his antique vintner's cane. What they were doing at my place of employment remains a mystery..........
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Al Shut on Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:49 pm

unikrunk wrote:
Al_Shut wrote:
unikrunk wrote:

A German calling a Canadian evil. Amazing.

:wink:

And with good reason. I'm too lazy to dig up the confessions thread but you know what you have done. :P
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby unikrunk on Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:14 pm

@silentbobx - nice.

@Al - what happens is the confession thread stays in the confession thread, savvy?

In fact, let's not ever bring up that thread again, shall we?

/please?
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Animation