Disney's A Christmas Carol

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Disney's A Christmas Carol

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:03 am

Main Page talks about a new Robert Zemeckis film which will star Jim Carrey as a true grinch - Ebenezer Scrooge.

Apparentely it'll be a mixture of live action and performace capture animation kinda thing...

Robert Zemeckis and Jim Carrey say "Bah! Humbug!"
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. Boy, these two dudes love Christmas. Robert Zemeckis' POLAR EXPRESS gets play every Christmas season now thanks to IMAX 3-D and Carrey was The Grinch for Ron Howard.

I guess he has to take on the other iconic Christmas-time villain.

Zemeckis has written and will direct an adaptation of A CHRISTMAS CAROL with Jim Carrey in line to star as Scrooge as well as the ghosts of Christmas' Past, Present and Future. Disney is footing the bill. Zemeckis is planning to mix live action with performance capture animation.

If the word about BEOWULF being damn near photorealistic it's possible that this could be the first movie to integrate live action and completely realist computer representations of human beings. Of course, Zemeckis could go for a more cartoony effect.

Rumor has it that Bob Hoskins is also in talks to join the film as Mr. Fizziwig. I guess there's a law that says anytime Robert Zemeckis has a live action/cartoon mix Bob Hoskins has to be a part of it.

I'd love to see Zemeckis focus on doing something new, something original like BACK TO THE FUTURE... that kind of feel. But I also liked POLAR EXPRESS and BEOWULF sounds like it's coming together very well, so I can wait for that particular creative bug to sink its teeth into Zemeckis' brain. Thoughts?
Last edited by havocSchultz on Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby LaDracul on Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:10 am

I don't think it'll surpass "Scrooged", but if it can take us back to the days of "In Living Color", then by all means, I'll see it.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:10 am

Don't we already have DOZENS of film versions of this story? Including some really good ones?

This is unnecessary, IMO. Zemeckis and Carrey should work on something original.

Sigh.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:16 am

LaDracul wrote:I don't think it'll surpass "Scrooged",

Nothing ever could...

LaDracul wrote:but if it can take us back to the days of "In Living Color", then by all means, I'll see it.

I'd rather see a Fire Marshall Bill Very Special Christmas Movie or something...

minstrel wrote:Don't we already have DOZENS of film versions of this story?

Not with these effects!!!
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:39 am

Man, this is like waking up on Christmas morning and racing down to the christmas tree. And you see all of these beautifully wrapped presents with pretty bows. And the tree is just perfectly lit, with shiny ornaments, and you are like the ONLY one up. The house is quiet and you have this special moment all to yourself. So you quietly take out a large present with your name on it. You are very careful to unwrap it because you don't want to wake mom, and then when you finally... carefully... get the box open, it's just more poo, which is the same thing Robert Zemeckis have you last time.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby minstrel on Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:44 am

Yeah, Burl, but it ISN'T like that, because we already know it's poo months before Christmas.

Sigh.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby instant_karma on Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:52 am

Is it poo he went out and bought himself, or re-gifted poo?

Oh, and I can't think of any reason why I'd want to see this movie. I can think of 3 versions already that it'll have a hard time living up to...
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:56 pm

Hmmm. I think this story's been done to death by the movies, as well. Besides, no one will ever surpass the film version starring Alastair Sim - the definitive Scrooge for me (though I really liked Scrooged as well; it was a good take on the story and Bill Murray carried it all along pretty nicely I thought).
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:30 pm

Quincy Magoo ftw.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: BAH!!! (humbug)

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:43 pm

havocSchultz wrote: performace capture

havocSchultz wrote: animation

These two things should not be uttered in the same breath.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:51 pm

minstrel wrote:Don't we already have DOZENS of film versions of this story? Including some really good ones?

That's what I was thinking too minstrel. I mean if it's good I'll probably definitely maybe go see it, but there are already so many iconic adaptations of A Christmas Carol out there that you have to wonder why two guys who already have so many projects in development would want to re-do it for the umpteenth time. Then again if it were Guillermo del Toro or something I'd probably be geeking out anyway. :oops:
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby buster00 on Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:54 pm

If they want to do something different, they should do a version in which Scrooge remains a greedy Struggling Background Artist at the end.

And fires Bob Cratchet on Christmas.

And puts a boot into Tiny Tim's ribcage.

And sets fire to their house to collect the insurance.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:57 pm

I pretty much agree with everything said here. Minstrel summed it up best.

Carrey's career seems to be pretty unspectacular at the moment. Gone are the days when a Carrey movie got everyone real excited and with good reason. Carrey really needs to do something more clever and original than this, no matter what role he might be bookending this film with. Same for Zemeckis.

This is just such a lazy way to print money. It's so cashed in and whoreish. Does Carrey really need a hit this badly? He's capable of a much better and challenging way to do this.

Chrishte, we don't need another Scrooge movie so quickly either, we've seen them enough times.

Oh yeah, doing Scrooge I think is giving an example of how Carrey can't fill the shoes of another comedic actor who did the job before. Bill Murray of course. Of course we'll find out in time, but as loud and as talented as Carrey maybe, I don't see him topping the work that was done in Scrooged.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:27 am

I second the notion that this is unnecessary. I recently watched Romancing The Stone and couldn't help but wonder, "When will Zemeckis put away his shiny toys and just make a movie?" Seems like its been forever since he last made a movie that didn't require something to be invented to make it.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:11 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:

I'm interested in this notion, especially after someone mentioned that Pixar have a little something in the end credits to Ratatouille saying they would never use performance capture. Good for them, but utilising performance capture in animation is not always a bad thing. I kind of disagree with your rather absolutist assertion there.

Didn't Disney animators trace dancers on film to use as a template for some of the 'human' movement in films like Snow White and the Seven Dwarves?

Isn't Andy Sirkis's work on Gollum In the Two Towers and Return of the King brought to the screen as a 3D animation via a great deal of performance capture?

Sometimes animation done with the assistance of performance capture is fantastic.

Regardless, after that Polar Express business I have no interest in this version of 'A Christmas Carol'
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:34 am

Hey tape, I like your custom rank. Is that a quote from the Zapper??
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tapehead on Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:39 am

What is the Zapper? I put that phrase in there after a something a friend of mine said - I thought at the time they were quoting Homer's 'Gummy De Milo' line from the Simpsons.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:02 am

tapehead wrote:What is the Zapper? I put that phrase in there after a something a friend of mine said - I thought at the time they were quoting Homer's 'Gummy De Milo' line from the Simpsons.

:)

Oh yeah, that's right! "Sweet, sweet caaaan."

Zapp Brannigan (a.k.a. The Zapper) from "Futurama" had a similar line when he was trying to get Leela to 'sample his wares,' as it were. I tried finding the clip on TooYube, but no such luck.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tapehead on Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:06 am

It's funny, I've seen every single ep of Futurama, and my av used to be a pic of Zapp, but for some reason the name didn't click for me :oops:

edit: This one's for you Ribbons, I'm bringing Zapp back!
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:15 am

Huzzah!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby LaDracul on Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:05 am

havocSchultz wrote:
LaDracul wrote:but if it can take us back to the days of "In Living Color", then by all means, I'll see it.

I'd rather see a Fire Marshall Bill Very Special Christmas Movie or something...

They had a bit about how he inadvertently sets a fire to a family's home after TRYING to teach them about preventing Christmas accidents, but I don't see that being stretched out into 90 minutes...

Besides, we're already owed a Homie the Clown movie after all those special effects abusing Wayans brothers movies we've had to sit through.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:01 am

tapehead wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:

I'm interested in this notion, especially after someone mentioned that Pixar have a little something in the end credits to Ratatouille saying they would never use performance capture. Good for them, but utilising performance capture in animation is not always a bad thing. I kind of disagree with your rather absolutist assertion there.

Didn't Disney animators trace dancers on film to use as a template for some of the 'human' movement in films like Snow White and the Seven Dwarves?

Isn't Andy Sirkis's work on Gollum In the Two Towers and Return of the King brought to the screen as a 3D animation via a great deal of performance capture?

Sometimes animation done with the assistance of performance capture is fantastic.

Regardless, after that Polar Express business I have no interest in this version of 'A Christmas Carol'

Rotoscoping is tracing footage and is still widely used.

Motion Capture is utilizing an actor to produce a performance (in most instances very little of the actor's work is translated directly to screen rather the motion capture is used for reference for the animators. This is the big dirty little secret of motion capture within the industry. Gollum, Kong, The Hulk, Jar Jar etc have been depicted as direct motion capture performances which is far from the truth.)

"Performance Capture" is a buzz phrase used by producers and directors to described CG that uses motion capture as the main form of animation with animators used solely as "clean up" technicians to correct the many problems with motion capture rather than enhancing the performance with animation aesthetics. The result is floaty, wooden mannequin CG ala Final Fantasy, Polar Express, Monster House etc. The major appeal of this to studios is that it's cheap and doesn't really on pesky artists like traditional or CG animation.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:23 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:This is the big dirty little secret of motion capture within the industry. Gollum, Kong, The Hulk, Jar Jar etc have been depicted as direct motion capture performances which is far from the truth.)

The Dino, he's a gonna to say "not a so fast, eh paisan?"

Iffa you watch alla the exhaustive materials onna the extended edition DVDs for a the Jackson films, alla the peoples inna'volved, they clearly state that a the Serkis' performances, they used for a the reference, anna the animators, they alla go in anna create a the primarily animated performance from a the reference movements, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:45 am

Great Scott!!!

Marty McFly, Doc Brown, and Forrest Gump to join Zemeckis and Carrey in A Christmas Carol!?!?!?!!?
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Chilli on Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:57 am

Please be lying that Jim Carrey is playing multiple roles. I don't hate the guy, but everytime he multi-tasks on a film he ends up mugging the fuck out of every single scene to try and differentiate between characters.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:59 am

Chilli wrote:Please be lying that Jim Carrey is playing multiple roles.

I believe - through the magic of mo-cap - he is playing the role of Scrooge, and all 3 Ghosts - and he is supposedly able to "interact" with himself...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:00 pm

I'm not a big fan of multi-role playing films...

Why didn't they just get Eddie Murphy and be done with it... I'm sure that man has some kind of peverse glory for studly suites...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Chilli on Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:02 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
Chilli wrote:Please be lying that Jim Carrey is playing multiple roles.

I believe - through the magic of mo-cap - he is playing the role of Scrooge, and all 3 Ghosts - and he is supposedly able to "interact" with himself...

Fuck.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby SilentBobX on Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:06 pm

Mark my words and mark them well. NOTHIING will surpass Bill Murray's Frank Cross as the greatest onscreen incarnation of Scrooge. Not Jim Carrey, noone.

That movie is legendary and easily my favorite Bill Murray movie hands down. Groundhog Day a close second.

Bah humbug indeed.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby godzillasushi on Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:09 pm

Michael Caine is my favorite actually.

This will be just like Ace Ventura Almighty, or Ace Ventura that Stole Christmas, or Ave Ventura Olaf, or Ace Ventura can't lie, etc.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:12 pm

havocSchultz wrote:I'd rather see a Fire Marshall Bill Very Special Christmas Movie or something...

That would be rad-ass
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:13 pm

wonkabar wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:I'd rather see a Fire Marshall Bill Very Special Christmas Movie or something...

That would be rad-ass

RADASS-FIVE!!!
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:36 am

thebostonlocksmith wrote:I'm not a big fan of multi-role playing films...

Nor me. They usually come across as nothing other than "oh-look-at-me-aren't-I-versatile-or-what?" when in actual fact the answer is invariably "no, as a matter of fact, you're not."
There are exceptions, of course. Alec Guinness in Kind Hearts & Coronets is one and Peter Sellers in Dr Strangelove is other.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:44 am

HollywoodBabylon wrote:
thebostonlocksmith wrote:I'm not a big fan of multi-role playing films...

Nor me. They usually come across as nothing other than "oh-look-at-me-aren't-I-versatile-or-what?" when in actual fact the answer is invariably "no, as a matter of fact, you're not."

There are exceptions, of course. Alec Guinness in Kind Hearts & Coronets is one and Peter Sellers in Dr Strangelove is other.

I would count Eddie Murphy in Norbit among those rare exceptions as well
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:19 pm

Gary Oldman has signed on too.
source : moviehole
Was informed today by someone working on the film that the always-dependable Gary Oldman has joined the cast of Bob Zemeckis's 'A Christmas Carol'
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby LaDracul on Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:23 pm

TheButcher wrote:Gary Oldman has signed on too.
Was informed today by someone working on the film that the always-dependable Gary Oldman has joined the cast of Bob Zemeckis's 'A Christmas Carol'
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:47 pm

wow, never heard about this til now. this sounds horrible. geez, carrey, isn't ruining ONE holiday classic enough for a lifetime?

i can hear the trailer voiceover now:

"from the director of the Polar Express, and the star of How the Grinch Stole Christmas... here's another shitty christmas movie to rape your childhood!"
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:23 pm

Hehehehe... we would a not a make a them iffa alla you goddamn putzes, you dinna go a to see a them, eh?

Art Schmart! It's alla 'bout a the money!!
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:47 pm

It sounds like an absolute marvel this movie – my source went into great detail about the 3D process that Zemeckis is using to make the movie

In other words, so entranced was my source by the flickering lights and bells and whistles that he didn't stop to think how shitty this sounded.

I think Zemeckis is out to rape the entire English catalog. Hamlet will probably be next, mo-capped by Paul Walker.

My definitive Scrooge is Michael Caine, by the way.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:55 pm

Does a nobody remember a the George C. Scott version from a the 80s, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:58 pm

I do, but the David Bowie look of Christmas Present really kills it for me.

But Scott is fantastic, no denying that. I just always like to give props to Michael Caine who held his own against the Muppets.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Flumm on Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:07 pm

TheButcher wrote:Gary Oldman has signed on too.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:07 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Does a nobody remember a the George C. Scott version from a the 80s, eh?

That's always been my favorite version. George C. Scott was born to be Scrooge.

I agree with most here as well, a Jim Carrey Scooge flick with Robert Zemeckis involved just seems like an incredibly bad idea. I just see the horrible nightmare that is the Grinch swirled in with Polar Express. :(

*vomits*
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:50 pm

Vegeta wrote:
DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Does a nobody remember a the George C. Scott version from a the 80s, eh?

That's always been my favorite version. George C. Scott was born to be Scrooge.

I agree with most here as well, a Jim Carrey Scooge flick with Robert Zemeckis involved just seems like an incredibly bad idea. I just see the horrible nightmare that is the Grinch swirled in with Polar Express. :(

*vomits*

it's always been my favourite too. actually i haven't really seen any other versions, except scrooged. that alastair sim version i saw a bit of, but george c scott will always be scrooge to me.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:20 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:
It sounds like an absolute marvel this movie – my source went into great detail about the 3D process that Zemeckis is using to make the movie

In other words, so entranced was my source by the flickering lights and bells and whistles that he didn't stop to think how shitty this sounded.

I think Zemeckis is out to rape the entire English catalog. Hamlet will probably be next, mo-capped by Paul Walker.

Didn't Michael Caine kick one of the muppets?
Or is my mind playing tricks on me?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby buster00 on Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:44 pm

TheButcher wrote:Didn't Michael Caine kick one of the muppets?

I don't remember that, but I'll never forget how he booted Tobey Maguire in the balls during The Cider House Rules. That's how he won the Oscar.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:15 pm

TheButcher wrote:

Or is my mind playing tricks on me?[/quote]

I can't remember if he kicked one, but he throws one into the street from his office. And he throws a wreath at Bean Bunny and knocks him into a snow drift.

I think he's one of the only Scrooges to employ physical assault.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:17 pm

TheButcher wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:

Yes. Yes he does...
Last edited by Bob Samonkey on Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Chilli on Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:17 pm

Muppet Christmas Carol - my favourite Dickens adaptation.

Flame away, I watch it every X-Mas.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:20 pm

Chilli wrote:Muppet Christmas Carol - my favourite Dickens adaptation.

Flame away, I watch it every X-Mas.

Alas I cannot. I love it too. It is the only good movie post Henson...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Next

Return to Animation