Disney that was never ever made...

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Postby LaDracul on Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:11 pm

I found a really odd sight on Jim Hill Media today-

Apparently, Disney had bought the rights to "AIDA" in the late '80s and had wanted to make an animated feature. Thank God they didn't because the mummy and animal sidekicks would've ruined this tragic opera tale. So, they decided to make a musical of it instead sticking to the story and now they're planning to make it a live-action film instead.

I believe there was also a book on this...I think they had other plans for "The Nightingale" and other films that were put on hold way back when WW2 broke out. Speaking of that, a film about monkeys vs. nazis called "Scruffy" was almost made by Disney, but fortunately, they made "The Rescuers" instead. (I can hear some of you crying out in anger because the first one wasn't made...)

Any ones I've missed?
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:13 pm

Don't Disney have a cartoon on Disney Channel featuring Ancient Egyptians, mummies and the like? Looks like they might have even re-used some of the old character designs too.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby LaDracul on Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:14 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Don't Disney have a cartoon on Disney Channel featuring Ancient Egyptians, mummies and the like?

That was "Mummies Alive", which was made by DIC, who I think is somehow connected to Disney.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby The Garbage Man on Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:49 pm

The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:51 pm

I think I remember reading about how Disney and Roald Dahl collaborated on a project during WWII... coulda been a prank or something though...

EDIT: I think this is it -- The Gremlins
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:29 pm

This thread reminds me of all the false starts on further Fantasia installments they even go over some of them slightly in Fantasia 2000 like the Salvador Dali Basebal one etc.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:46 pm

I think Disney tried to do the whole SINBAD thing before Dreamworks made it.

Ted Elliot and Terry Russio wrote it, they put the script on their main page. It was interesting to say the least.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby LaDracul on Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:27 pm

Oh yeah, how could I forget "The Gremlins"? I'm not sure if they'd make it today or if his estate would allow it...
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:32 pm

You know, Disney was gonna make this racist movie about dumb slaves happy with their lot in life, but luckily he thought the better of it and it never saw production. Oh, wait...
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Wolfpack on Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:01 pm

I have vague recollections of an animated Don Quixote movie that was never made.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby LaDracul on Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:23 pm

Wolfpack wrote:I have vague recollections of an animated Don Quixote movie that was never made.

I believe that Salvador Dali was supposed to be the concept artist for that one, I'm not sure.

But they were going to do a "Sindbad" movie? I think that might explain the Sindbad dark ride at Tokyo DisneySea....
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby LaDracul on Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:44 am

Oooh, hope you don't mind double posting, but found one more from this article-

"Chanticleer" was supposed to be produced in the '60s but canned because they thought no one wanted to watch a film about a chicken. (Which was proved wrong 40 years later.) Don Bluth, however, turned the story into "Rock-A-Doodle".
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:48 am

It looks like 'The emporer's new groove' from that picture, a film which was so bad that my little sisters wanted to walk out, and at the time they were eight and nine...

Piss poor...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby unikrunk on Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:59 am

The first stab at The Little Mermaid was pretty dark and wierd stuff; I think some of it survived and made it into Fantasia 2000
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:31 am

I know, a lot of Andersen's stories were depressing (Though "The Ugly Ducking" and "The Nightingale" were exceptions) and I never liked the original ending to "The Little Mermaid" because I felt so bad for her going through all this and finding out he loved someone else.

It WAS made into an episode of "Faerie Tale Theater" with Helen Mirren as the other Princess...

Actually, "The Ugly Duckling" was worked into "Lilo and Stitch" as she reads it to him. It fits in with how he finds a family on Earth that loves him, despite his destructive nature.
Last edited by LaDracul on Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby godzillasushi on Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:54 am

Well, if you all could get more concept art that would be fantastic. This stuff is interesting finding out what they thought would and would not have worked so long after the fact.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:20 pm

Wolfpack wrote:I have vague recollections of an animated Don Quixote movie that was never made.

The curse of Quixote strikes again. First Orson Welles, then Terry Gilliam, now Disney. Will a definitive adaptation of this classic ever reach the screen?
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby LaDracul on Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:29 am

From yet another article on Jim Hill Media, a whole bunch of "Disney Afternoon" shows that were either changed or never produced.

-"Double-O Ducks": Launchpad McQuack as a spy, but the Broccolis found out and said no since they own the rights to the phrase "Double-O". So, they changed it to "Darkwing Duck".

-"Maximum Horsepower": A vehicle starring Horace Horsecollar from the early days about him in outer space.

Many more here.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:28 pm

It looks a little like "The Prince of Egypt" which Dreamworks did.

The designs look bit more Woolie Reitherman-era than Disney's 80s/90s stuff too.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:29 pm

Yes, but there weren't any talking animals in "Prince of Egypt".
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:33 pm

LaDracul wrote:Yes, but there weren't any talking animals in "Prince of Egypt".

It has some kind of talking pyro-plant though.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:10 pm

Fried Gold wrote:

I met a Disney animator back in 98 or 99 who swore up and down that he pitched "Prince of Egypt" (he was a big Bible banger) right before the "big" K left the Mouse House to form Dreamworks.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:21 pm

John Carter of Mars/A Princess of Mars long history with Disney...

1930's:

ERBZine.com wrote:In 1931, animation legend Robert Clampett approached Burroughs himself with the idea of making the book into an animated film, to which Burroughs was enthusiastic. The author's son, John Coleman Burroughs, helped Clampett create an extensive array of sketches, sculptures and production notes while the rights to the project were picked up by MGM. However, Clampett and the two Burroughs soon clashed with the studio over the direction to take the film - the creators wanting to make a serious sci-fi drama, the studio wanting a slapstick comedy with a swashbuckling hero. Eventually, the studio pulled the plug on the entire project. Originally planned for a 1932 release, it would have been the first feature-length animated film (the honour of which is held by Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)). When Clampett toured and lectured at universities in the 1970s, he would often screen some of the uncompleted animation footage for enthusiastic audiences.

1980's/90's:

ERBZine.com wrote:During the 1980s, Disney optioned the rights with Mario Kassar and Andrew Vajna (Carolco) brought on as producers. John McTiernan (I), fresh off the sucess of Die Hard (1988), had been hired to direct a screenplay by Terry Rossio and Ted Elliott with William Stout hired as production designer. Tom Cruise had been rumored to be in talks for the role of John Carter. However, the sheer scale of the project, coupled with what McTiernan saw the "limitations" of special effects at the time, kept the project from being fully realized. The pre-production financing alone contributed to the eventual bankrupture of Carolco. After numerous attempt to reinvigorate the project in the 1990s, Disney finally pulled the plug and attempted to sell the rights to the film. After several years, they were finally acquired by Paramount.

20??:

IGN wrote:John Carter Gets Animated
What happens now that Pixar's in charge of Mars?

June 25, 2007 - A film version of John Carter of Mars had been in the planning stages for about two years before Paramount Pictures gave up on it, deciding that the new Star Trek would be their main sci-fi focus for now. The property came up for grabs, and Disney decided to bite.

Now, it seems that Pixar, the incredibly successful CG animation studio recently purchased by the Mouse House, may be put in charge of John Carter of Mars. So, it'll be a computer-animated adventure? Not exactly.

A Pixar rep has reportedly spoken with the IESB.net Web site and states that the movie will be both live-action and animation. What that means, exactly, is hard to say for now. The project is still in the early stages, with no director or cast attached. Nevertheless, Pixar's involvement is a dream come true for fans.

John Carter of Mars is based on a series of pulp adventure novels written by Edgar Rice Burroughs almost one hundred years ago. The story follows a Civil War cavalry captain who is transported to Mars amidst a war over dwindling Martian resources. Carter, with his swordsmanship and fighting skills, becomes a hero in his new world, altering the course of Mars's history.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby LaDracul on Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:37 am

Fried Gold wrote:

Yes, but that was in the bible. I think if they added a wisecracking camel voiced by Ray Romano, people would've been up in arms.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Fantasia 2006

Postby TheButcher on Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:58 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:This thread reminds me of all the false starts on further Fantasia installments they even go over some of them slightly in Fantasia 2000 like the Salvador Dali Basebal one etc.

What's up with Fantasia?
I thought Disney was going to do another one.
It would be a dream come true to see Miyazaki and Disney team up for another one.
Last edited by TheButcher on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Lady Sheridan on Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:53 am

The lost character from The Jungle Book, Rocky the Rhino:

http://www.cinematical.com/2007/09/25/exclusive-concept-art-and-designs-from-disneys-the-jungle-bo/

Disney considered him a key character and yet he was cut entirely. He's pretty cute (looks like my bulldog), so I wonder what happened...or where he fit in.

The Platinum DVD of Jungle Book is supposed to have recreated the scenes with him in it.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby LaDracul on Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:55 am

Speaking of lost characters, they were almost going to ruin "Pocahontas" by having talking animals. One of them was going to be a turkey named Redfeather voiced by John Candy as well as having Richard E. Grant voice Percy the pug. Thankfully, they pulled that idea, John played Orville in "The Rescuers Down Under" (Where talking animals fit in better), though Richard has yet to be in a Disney feature...
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:23 am

I disagree. I think talking animals could have only helped the dreadfully dull Pocahontas.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:00 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:I disagree. I think talking animals could have only helped the dreadfully dull Pocahontas.

Well, I think they made that decision due to respect for history.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Fawst on Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:06 pm

Yah, they stretched imagination a little too much giving her a Grammy-winning singing voice, and a perfect body (for a cartoon). Oh, and by making her, you know, PRETTY.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:07 pm

Okay, okay, so I admit that "The New World" was more realistic as she was about 13 when she met Smith...

Moving on...
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Fawst on Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:16 pm

:D
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:18 pm

He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:24 pm

You know, I really wish that someone would make me a Kingdom Hearts icon with the following convo...

Mickey: Don't you remember all the laughs we had?
Sora: You were meant to be funny?
Mickey:...yeah.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby LaDracul on Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:36 am

BUMP

Found an article on a book called "Dream Worlds", and that has art from three features that were not made-
"My Peoples" (Which was to have Dolly Parton involved)
"Fraidy Cat"
"Wild Life" (One I hadn't heard about, which is like "My Fair Lady", only it's an ELEPHANT in the Eliza role.)

Here
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:45 am

LaDracul wrote:BUMP

Found an article on a book called "Dream Worlds", and that has art from three features that were not made-
"My Peoples" (Which was to have Dolly Parton involved)
"Fraidy Cat"
"Wild Life" (One I hadn't heard about, which is like "My Fair Lady", only it's an ELEPHANT in the Eliza role.)

Here

Wild Life looked like it would have been really cute.

I also kind of wish that Disney and Squaresoft would make some sort of deal in making a Kingdom Hearts movie. You'd might as well print money for both companies for that film.
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:57 am

Didn't Disney buy the rights to do a Cartoon version of 'The Woodsman'?

Would have been great to have Kevin Bacon in cartoon form.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby junesquad on Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:13 pm

I must admit that there is a soft spot for Pocahontas in my heart. However, that may just be Mel Gibson. My favorite Disney movie was Beauty and the Beast. I began loving it even more when I went to see the Broadway version. The inclusion of a few of the deleted songs made me love it even more. I was very glad to find that Disney had a DVD with those songs back in... so I searched and finally found a used copy for $20. (DAMN THE DISNEY VAULT)
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby DDMAN26 on Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:11 am

thebostonlocksmith wrote:It looks like 'The emporer's new groove' from that picture, a film which was so bad that my little sisters wanted to walk out, and at the time they were eight and nine...

Piss poor...

I must respectfully disagree. The Emperor's New Groove might be Disney's most underrated film. It's fast and funny and I find it's irrevence much more charming then the Shrek series.
DDMAN26
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby papalazeru on Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:25 am

junesquad wrote:I must admit that there is a soft spot for Pocahontas in my heart. However, that may just be Mel Gibson. My favorite Disney movie was Beauty and the Beast. I began loving it even more when I went to see the Broadway version. The inclusion of a few of the gaffneyed songs made me love it even more. I was very glad to find that Disney had a DVD with those songs back in... so I searched and finally found a used copy for $20. (DAMN THE DISNEY VAULT)

Ah...Nothing like a bit of Alan Menkin. Great Composer, also did Aladdin, Little Mermaid and Barn Yard.

DDMAN26 wrote:I must respectfully disagree. The Emperor's New Groove might be Disney's most underrated film. It's fast and funny and I find it's irrevence much more charming then the Shrek series.

Give it up for Cronk, funniest character to come out of a Disney film.

"Squeak squeaker squeak squeak"
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:45 am

DDMAN26 wrote:
thebostonlocksmith wrote:I t looks like 'The emporer's new groove' from that picture, a film which was so bad that my little sisters wanted to walk out, and at the time they were eight and nine...

Piss poor...

I must respectfully disagree. The Emperor's New Groove might be Disney's most underrated film. It's fast and funny and I find it's irrevence much more charming then the Shrek series.

You can diagree with me whether respectfully or otherwise DD :wink: ... I 'm just used to seeing films from Disney like Aladdin and Lion King etc. and feel that they lost there way for a while. I believe (respectfully) that there was a time when disney made great films and for one reason or another made some mediocre efforts for a while, and the emporers new groove was one of these... in my opinion...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby LaDracul on Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:29 am

Personally, I think "The Emperor's New Groove" is funnier as a series. JP Manoux is way more funnier than David Spade ever was.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:33 am

Pocahontas took itself way too seriously. I really liked Hunchback however (even if it, at moments, took itself a bit too seriously, too), but after that . . . things just grew stupid or trite and the magic was gone. Maybe one day they'll get it back, but right now the only magic they muster comes from Pixar. And even that doesn't quite capture what they used to do.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:28 pm

Some of these concepts look really intriguing. They ought to dust them off and make them. A return to the classic Disney animated movie would well...revive the whole thing.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:42 pm

Emperor's New Groove ended up vastly better than the direction Kingdom in the Sun was headed.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:31 pm

I thought Emperor's New Groove was hilarious. Pocahontas, Hunch Back, Tarzan, and Hercules were Boresville. I probably enjoyed Emperor's New Groove so much, because it broke away from formula enough where I couldn't predict every plot point beat for beat.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby LaDracul on Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:58 pm

A few years ago, Disney thought of making the characters from "The Aristocats" as teenage cats-
And doing it in flash, too

Well, there's still all that Marie the kitten merchandise out there...
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:33 am

LaDracul wrote:A few years ago, Disney thought of making the characters from "The Aristocats" as teenage cats-
And doing it in flash, too

Well, there's still all that Marie the kitten merchandise out there...

Interesting. I have never seen The Aristocats before so I might have to give that a rental sometime. The commercials make it look adorable enough. ^^
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:15 pm

LaDracul wrote:Personally, I think "The Emperor's New Groove" is funnier as a series. JP Manoux is way more funnier than David Spade ever was.

Yes, but a the putz, he has a hadda the much a more time a to "grow" inna'to a the role, no? A the Spade, for him, it was a like a the one-off, no? With a the Manoux, he's a got episode after a the episode to get a the "feel", eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby LaDracul on Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:20 pm

Well, if you've seen his work on "The Wayne Brady Show" (The Variety One) and "Phil of the Future", you have to agree he's hilarious. :D

And no one can top his velociraptor impression.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Next

Return to Animation