Death Note

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Death Note

Postby The Cockblocker on Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:30 am

Hello everyone, the main reason that I was excited to begin playing with the werewolf game here is because I recently finished watching a very cool Japanese Anime entitled "Death Note."

It has not been released outside of Japan yet, but wikipedia tells us that on November 20 in the U.S., by Viz Media (don't see their website, since it removes some of the surprise: http://deathnote.viz.com/). You can read a bit more about the series on the wikipedia article, but I don't recommend it because it's best to remain surprised when watching this series (here is the wikipedia article that you should avoid: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Note).

Because I am telling you to stay away from all the media informations, I'll try to give you some insight into this series.

The story begins in the world of the Death Gods, where one bored Death God, Ryuuk, decides to spice up his life by dropping a Death Note in the human world. The Death Note is a notebook wherein people whose names are inscribed in the notebook are killed soon thereafter. Ryuuk's notebook is picked up by Yagami "Light" Raito, who quickly begins testing what the notebook claims to do:

Light begins to judge the criminals of the world very quickly, and this draws the attention of the international police force, who recruit the world's greatest detective: a mysterious person who goes by the codename "L."

The series, which lasts 37 22-minute episodes, becomes a cat and mouse game between L and Light, where each is apparently some kind of genius trying to out maneuver the other:

If I have to compare it to any films, I think conceptually Heat and Infernal Affairs/The Departed will give you the right idea, except Death Note contains fantasy elements where those films were grounded in "reality."

I don't always enjoy Japanese animated films because they often have a simple and direct way of addressing some interesting philosophical issues, but Death Note is certainly one of Animes that breaks out of such trappings. Japanese animation is often ambitious to say the least, and with Death Note I was very pleased to see that the execution (no pun intended) matched the ambition of the creators.

Visually it's a beautiful animated series, but there's not a lot of action for those who expect to see giant robots fighting giant lizards. However, the creators manage to keep a suspenseful atmosphere throughout the series, and I think I only found one episode to be boring, but that's because it was setting up the events of the end. The visuals are very nice as I already said, having a painterly quality to them, but the animation itself is very simple, even rigid in some parts, but this does not really detract from the experience of the show since it relies so heavily on twists and turns based on dialogue and characters interactions. I don't know how many scenes there were which were just made up of two characters walking along talking for several minutes, but the show is very tightly constructed so I only notice this now in retrospect.

I don't know how any of you could get a hold of this series without importing the Japanese DVDs, so probably you will have to wait until November 20, but I think it will be worth the wait, and try to avoid spoiling any of the twists/surprises!

Otherwise I am curious if anyone else has heard of this show or has watched it already?
The Cockblocker
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:41 am

Not seen it, nor heard of it - sounds fascinating though.

If it hasn't been released outside of Japan yet, I'm guessing that it will be, since it appears to have already been translated into English.

Thanks for the heads-up, CB!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:09 am

Can I just call you the cock, for short?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby papalazeru on Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:44 am

Cock is a PL4NT! :lol:
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby The Cockblocker on Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:07 am

Are you trying to kill this thread, mister thread killer?

The "villain" in Death Note is soon given the name "Kira" by the public, which comes from "Killer"! Why do the Japanese switch around Ls and Rs?
The Cockblocker
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby The Garbage Man on Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:37 pm

Awesome, I've been meaning to start a thread on this show for weeks now. Cockblocker speaks the truth: Death Note kicks all kinds of ass.

I've never gotten into anime before; I've tried a few of them but they've never really interested me... until Death Note. This show is cerebral and suspenseful and pretty fucking creepy at times. Like 'Blocker said, though: BEWARE OF SPOILERS. Pretty much every episode has at least one big spoilery thing in it, and apparently there are huge changes around episode 25. I've been taking my time with this show and watching each episode at least twice, so I'm only up to 18.

This may sound completely paranoid but if we're going to have a discussion about the show maybe we could put spoilers in tiny-text and mark them by episode number? As in:

SPOILERS UP TO EP. 15:
It turns out Light is one of the brothers from The Boondock Saints.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby LaDracul on Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:50 pm

There's also a series of live-action films released (believe it or not) by Warner Bros. What I've heard is that they want to do an English language version (Which they will probably have Jesse McCartney as Right) but I'm thinking this might not happen unless "Speed Racer" makes a lot of money...
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby The Garbage Man on Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:59 pm

By the way, if anyone is interested in watching this show just PM me.

LaDracul wrote:There's also a series of live-action films released (believe it or not) by Warner Bros. What I've heard is that they want to do an English language version (Which they will probably have Jesse McCartney as Right) but I'm thinking this might not happen unless "Speed Racer" makes a lot of money...

Yeah, didn't the movies come before the anime? As far as I understand it, it started with the manga, they made the first movie, and then the anime was produced. I walked past a theater playing the second movie when I was in Japan a few months ago but I imagine it's probably been out a lot longer than that.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby monorail77 on Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:36 pm

This sounds great. Can't wait to see it.

I've never really followed any episodic anime, beyond a passing interest, but I do enjoy an anime film now and then (and yes, I realize that some of these are just TV shows extened or episodes strung together).

But this sounds unique. I'll give it a try.
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby The Cockblocker on Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:41 pm

You will not regret it, I promise!!
The Cockblocker
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby monorail77 on Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:32 pm

The Cockblocker wrote:You will not regret it, I promise!!

Thanks, Cockblocker.

Wow, I never thought I'd put THOSE two words together :shock:
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:33 pm

Thanks for bringing this to my attention Cock. I almost regret voting for you as the werewolf now. I'll burn a day watching this in a couple of days.

If anyone wants to know where they can catch this gratis, give me a PM and I'll send you the link.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:59 pm

sounds intriguing.

thanks for the heads up Cock.

I've got way too much on my entertainment plate as it is, and I won't get to this for some time, but damn if I'm not sold on the concept.

Hey Garbage-y, have you checked out CHAMPLOO? I imagine you must've come across it at some point, what did you have against it?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Cockblocker on Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:36 pm

Thank you for keeping this thread alive Zoners, and I await your final comments when you've finished the series, Garbageman!

As for those who will get started now, I don't think it will take much time before you've finished the series, as it is quite difficult to stop watching!

Don't worry about the vote seppuku, and an apology right back at you!
The Cockblocker
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby The Garbage Man on Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:11 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Hey Garbage-y, have you checked out CHAMPLOO? I imagine you must've come across it at some point, what did you have against it?

Haven't seen it, but I've heard it's good. It's just hard for me to get into a series that has many episodes (or anything else that will take up a lot of time, for that matter). I have an anti-addictive personality, I guess. :)
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby The Cockblocker on Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:15 am

Samurai Champloo is a very enjoyable anime, and it only has twenty something episodes if I remember properly. If anything, it might go along nicely with your anti-addict personality since most of the episodes can be seen individually. Maybe you only need to start watching the first two or three episodes consecutively, but after that you can take your time with the show until the last two or three episodes.

I was hoping I would use the lessons I learned from Death Note during the werewolf game, but unfortunately I am already out! :(
The Cockblocker
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:39 am

It was the playing as an Alt that did for you, Blocker - not the best way to garner trust, if you think about it.

On a happier, non-murderous lynch-mob note, this DEATH NOTE of which you speak looks to be really, really good. I like the idea behind it, quite original/inventive.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:51 am

I've only watched a couple episodes so far, but already I'm really getting into this. Thanks again, Cock, for bringing it to my attention.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Death Note

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:57 am

I've only glanced at the manga, Havent seen the anime yet, But I fucking love the movies!

Their directed by Susuke Kenenko (who made the 90's Gamera Trilogy and GODZILLA, MOTHRA, KING GHIDORA: GIANT MONSTERS ALL OUT ATTACK)

The films were MASSIVE in japan from what I read, and they star Shuya from Battle Royale.

They're incredibly well made and just so damn fun to watch.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby The Cockblocker on Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:19 pm

I happy that this series has attracted some attention! When you watch it you will understand why I became so eager during the werewolf game.

bastard_robo, I have not seen the movies so I cannot comment on how the series relates to them, but you seem to be a Japan-phile so I don't think you will be disappointed by this show.
The Cockblocker
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Megagents on Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:22 am

Death Note is one of the best cartoons ever and yes I said cartoon because anime is just Japanese cartoons. It's great so if you haven't seen it, go see it now.
Megagents
GLIB

Postby Seppuku on Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:29 am

Megagents wrote:...and yes I said cartoon because anime is just Japanese cartoons.

:x

Is Megagents your real name, if not what IS your name? And do you mind posting a picture of yourself up in the Photo Album thread? I mean...just to introduce yourself and everything, I'm sure you'll get a warm welcome.

No, no, of course I don't plan to put your name in my Death Notebook for denigrating anime like that. Come on, that would be crazy. Death Notes aren't real...

Erm, I'm going now.

:wink:
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Megagents on Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:09 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:
Megagents wrote:...and yes I said cartoon because anime is just Japanese cartoons.

Is Megagents your real name, if not what IS your name? And do you mind posting a picture of yourself up in the Photo Album thread? I mean...just to introduce yourself and everything, I'm sure you'll get a warm welcome.

No, no, of course I don't plan to put your name in my Death Notebook for denigrating anime like that. Come on, that would be crazy. Death Notes aren't real...

Erm, I'm going now.

Not to go off topic but if anime fans want to think anime isn't a cartoon or isn't animated, go right ahead and be ignorant. Oh and since you love anime so much, do your research on how anime was inspired by American animation.

P.S. - I meant ignorant as in "your ignorant towards the truth" and not as an insult.
Last edited by Megagents on Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Megagents
GLIB

Postby tapehead on Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:14 pm

Megagents wrote:P.S. - I meant ignorant as in "your ignorant towards the truth and not as an insult.

Oh. of course. well that's ok then.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Megagents on Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:18 pm

To the admins and mods: Please look at this link as help and not advertising for another site.

To those who are already sick of me: http://retrojunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18058 &highlight=anime
Megagents
GLIB

Postby Seppuku on Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:19 am

Megagents wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:

Erm, I'm going now.

Not to go off topic but if anime fans want to think anime isn't a cartoon or isn't animated, go right ahead and be ignorant. Oh and since you love anime so much, do your research on how anime was inspired by American animation.

P.S. - I meant ignorant as in "your ignorant towards the truth" and not as an insult.

Sorry Gent (you don't mind if I call you that?), I was pretty much taking the self-righteous stance just so I could get that "joke" out.

Still, I will spiel with this a little:
I know that with the Venture Brothers etc. cartoons are beginning to catch up to Anime when it comes to adult entertainment, but they're still a big minority. Anime, in Japan, can be anything- it's not confined to any one genre. You can have anime soap operas, anime comedies, anime pr0n, I even remember seeing an anime documentary once. There are quite a few Japanese stations solely devoted to the medium. Sure, they're just cartoons, but they're treated differently by the artists and writers behind them. I see it more as a different kind of lens than anything else.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Death Note

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:56 am

seppukudkurosawa wrote:
Megagents wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:

Erm, I'm going now.

Sorry Gent (you don't mind if I call you that?), I was pretty much taking the self-righteous stance just so I could get that "joke" out.

I know that with the Venture Brothers etc. cartoons are beginning to catch up to Anime when it comes to adult entertainment, but they're still a big minority. Anime, in Japan, can be anything- it's not confined to any one genre. You can have anime soap operas, anime comedies, anime pr0n, I even remember seeing an anime documentary once. There are quite a few Japanese stations solely devoted to the medium. Sure, they're just cartoons, but they're treated differently by the artists and writers behind them. I see it more as a different kind of lens than anything else.

You are correct Sir! Anime is different from ANIMATION... While it is animation, its like comparing Life Aquatic to Eurotrip, they're both comedies , but they're both drastically different.

On a side note, FANGORIA.com has a review of the movies up right now
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Megagents on Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:55 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:
Megagents wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:

Erm, I'm going now.

You think I haven't heard that one before? Is everyone just a tad slow these days? Yes they're different but that doesn't mean they aren't animated and it doesn't mean they aren't animation. Another thing, cartoons aren't just one genre and they can be about anything as well. In a way it's like saying a Lion isn't a cat because it's big and can't live in a house, it's still in the feline family, isn't it? Well it doesn't matter anyway, anime fans seem to think anime is made from Japanese magic or that it's live action.
Megagents
GLIB

Postby Seppuku on Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:07 pm

Megagents wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:
Megagents wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:

Erm, I'm going now.

You think I haven't heard that one before? Is everyone just a tad slow these days? Yes they're different but that doesn't mean they aren't animated and it doesn't mean they aren't animation. Another thing, cartoons aren't just one genre and they can be about anything as well. In a way it's like saying a Lion isn't a cat because it's big and can't live in a house, it's still in the feline family, isn't it? Well it doesn't matter anyway, anime fans seem to think anime is made from Japanese magic or that it's live action.

I didn't say anime wasn't animated (although a lot of the time it's just a static shot, so it almost isn't), what I said was it wasn't just a Japanese cartoon. You know how CGI is starting to dictate the plots of movies nowadays, sometimes in a good way, sometimes in a bad? Well, I just think Japanese cartoons have mastered the medium, learnt its pitfalls and benefits, and how to write stories around it, better than most other cartoons.

If a lion and a cat were locked in a room together, only one of them would walk out when the door was opened.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Megagents on Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:03 pm

Yes, yes the Japanese are the smartest and best people in the world, let us stop aiming for better education and just let them teach us and let's stop making cartoons because we are pathetic morons with no brains, therefor we can never create anything as wonderful as Shin-Chan's ass dance or Naruto's ability to turn into a fox demon or a story about giant robot, oh yes I see now that those kinds of things are beyond my brain power, in fact, when I see samurai fight each other, I just feel so dumb because a man holding a sword is just college level smarts, I could never think to make a story like that. See ya around and don't take my rant personally I just don't think America is full of idiots is all.
Megagents
GLIB

Postby Seppuku on Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:21 pm

You mean, you're an exception?
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby The Garbage Man on Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:27 pm

:roll:

Ahem:
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Death Note

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:53 am

finally watched the second one. Loved it!

I love the cat and mouse game about the whole thing!

Ryuuk and Rem, for something that dosnt look "PHOTOREALISTIC" were even better charecters. Showing that CGI dosnt have to be 100% life like.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby The Cockblocker on Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:12 am

Megagents wrote:Yes, yes the Japanese are the smartest and best people in the world, let us stop aiming for better education and just let them teach us and let's stop making cartoons because we are pathetic morons with no brains, therefor we can never create anything as wonderful as Shin-Chan's ass dance or Naruto's ability to turn into a fox demon or a story about giant robot, oh yes I see now that those kinds of things are beyond my brain power, in fact, when I see samurai fight each other, I just feel so dumb because a man holding a sword is just college level smarts, I could never think to make a story like that. See ya around and don't take my rant personally I just don't think America is full of idiots is all.

You are a very angry person. I'm sorry, I will no longer cockblock you, you've clearly been broken.

Mr. bastard_robo, I gather that you are talking about the films. Have you started the animated series yet? If not, then you are just one (or two) clicks away.
The Cockblocker
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Death Note

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:08 am

The Cockblocker wrote:
Megagents wrote:Yes, yes the Japanese are the smartest and best people in the world, let us stop aiming for better education and just let them teach us and let's stop making cartoons because we are pathetic morons with no brains, therefor we can never create anything as wonderful as Shin-Chan's ass dance or Naruto's ability to turn into a fox demon or a story about giant robot, oh yes I see now that those kinds of things are beyond my brain power, in fact, when I see samurai fight each other, I just feel so dumb because a man holding a sword is just college level smarts, I could never think to make a story like that. See ya around and don't take my rant personally I just don't think America is full of idiots is all.

You are a very angry person. I'm sorry, I will no longer cockblock you, you've clearly been broken.

Mr. bastard_robo, I gather that you are talking about the films. Have you started the animated series yet? If not, then you are just one (or two) clicks away.

The anime version comes out in November. I'll probably start on it then. I still have the new GUYVER to finish up, and Im in the middle of Bleach. I cant keep up with anime like I use to. So it takes something special to get me into it. And if the death note anime is anything close to the movies, i'll be watching.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby reapercussions on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:33 am

By the way guys, the English Death Note dub will begin airing on Adult Swim in the US on October 20th. :) I don't know how the dub will turn out ... the guy who is doing Light's voice did Sai in Hikaru no Go, and I wasn't very impressed. L's VA is best known for a role in Battlestar Galactica. That could be interesting.

The anime is pretty good, at least up until episode 25/the first arc. I really feel like they dropped the ball with the second arc. Whiny nerds will bitch that the second arc sucks anyway, but that's because they are all jackasses. Even if you do not like the new characters in the second arc (... in other words, you are a boring person), it doesn't do any great service to the anime to cripple the second arc. Basically they beefed up all of the scenes related to Light's harem (yawn, Mikami and Takada, two of the dullest characters ever) and minimized everything to do with the Wammy kids. Well -- Near didn't get too much of a cut, but Mello and Matt certainly did. :( They are pretty awesome characters and could have been successfully expanded upon, the way they did with L. They also changed the very ending of the anime, which I actually don't mind too much -- it's an interesting alternative to the way the manga ended. The only thing I really don't like the anime ending is that the epilogue was eliminated. Bastards.

And dear god, shut up about anime vs. cartoons. Nobody cares. It doesn't really matter if it's called anime or cartoons; cartoons is no more its rightful name than anime is. It is what the language the people speak who watch it call it. It all means the same damn thing.
reapercussions
GLIB

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:40 am

Are you an angry man?

Are you envious?

Do you get envious?

I have a competition in me, I want no one else to succeed.

I hate most people...

There are times when I look at people and I see nothing worth liking...
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby LaDracul on Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:51 am

It's going to start airing in the US on Oct. 20th on Adult Swim. I wonder if it'll pull me away from SNL to watch...
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Death Note

Postby bastard_robo on Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:09 pm

Im digging the anime. Its qued on my DVR every saturday.

Death Note is going to be one of those Japanses works that sticks around for along while, much like Gundam and Dragonball!

On a side note, the preview of the L movie is out!
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Re: Death Note

Postby Bayouwolf on Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:22 pm

Gonna have to check this out. Is it rentable from US distributer. This sounds like one you can't really get into halfway through the run.

bastard_robo wrote:Death Note is going to be one of those Japanses works that sticks around for along while, much like Gundam and Dragonball!

Oh and you forgot "Pokemon", for what it's worth.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby LaDracul on Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:05 pm

Here's something to bring up...

Firstly, the live-action movies are going to be on R1 DVD this summer.

But, this is the main thing. A friend of mine (One of those "I'm just a fucking ray of sunshine" people) said that she thinks that an American audience wouldn't grasp the storyline and they'd ruin it with too many changes.

Me? Look, it would probably be rated R if they wanted to keep it close to the subject matter.

But do you think this would be a big gamble if WB went ahead and made it?
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Return to Animation