Why are there no live-action anime adaptations?

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Live action anime: Good idea or bad idea?

Good idea!
45%
Bad Idea!
55%

Total votes : 11

Why are there no live-action anime adaptations?

Postby djcribage on Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:30 pm

I was having a discussion with a co-worker today about why there aren't any live action American adaptations of anime films/shows. She thinks that it must be because companies feel that there isn't an audience and that it is an easily untapped resource. I however feel that there must be a practical reason for this (perhaps the rights are too expensive?) since anime is a big enough niche that it is surprising that they haven't made any. I mean J-Horror couldn't have been THAT popular in the US for there to be all these remakes. Why not anime?

I'd also like to state that I don't think that it is necessarily a good idea to remake anime into American live action but rather that I am very surprised that they haven't and feel there must be a practical reason rather than just ineptitude on the studio's part.

I thought I'd post this discussion on here to hear other people's thoughts on the matter. What do YOU think?
djcribage
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Seppuku on Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:32 pm

A: Because it would probably cost about 40 million dollars alone to buy that much hair-gel for the actors.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:33 pm

Technically Transformers is live action from an original Japanese show that happened to be dubbed and exported to US.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby djcribage on Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:43 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Technically Transformers is live action from an original Japanese show that happened to be dubbed and exported to US.

Yeah but that's different, Transformers was very very popular in an americanized form. It was engraved into American popular culture. I mena, the toys were everywhere. Akira, Ghost in The Shell, etc are popular for sure but not in the same way as transformers. They are a bit more cultish, so to speak. But good point, technically Transformers was an anime adaption.
djcribage
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby djcribage on Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:44 pm

oh yeah and before someone gets to it, speed racer doesn't count either! Same thing as Transformers!
djcribage
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby buster00 on Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:48 pm

It's really hard to find actors who have eyes the size of toilet seats.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:56 pm

Well, there's "Speed Racer" being released next year, with possibly "Death Note" and "Monster" to be made. Other ones (Like "Sailor Moon" and "Real Bout High School") never made it past development...but considering they were going to set "Sailor Moon" in Los Angeles, that would've been a good thing.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby djcribage on Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:25 pm

LaDracul wrote:Well, there's "Speed Racer" being released next year, with possibly "Death Note" and "Monster" to be made. Other ones (Like "Sailor Moon" and "Real Bout High School") never made it past development...but considering they were going to set "Sailor Moon" in Los Angeles, that would've been a good thing.

Yeah but what about the big ones like Akira, Ghost in The Shell, Cowboy Beebop? I feel like i read that the Cowboy Beebop guy is very protective, perhaps it is the same with the others. I mean Hollywood has made disney rides into movies, it just seems surprising they haven't pushed more on anime as they have with comics or even amusement park rides.
djcribage
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:00 pm

LaDracul wrote:Well, there's "Speed Racer" being released next year, with possibly "Death Note" and "Monster" to be made. Other ones (Like "Sailor Moon" and "Real Bout High School") never made it past development...but considering they were going to set "Sailor Moon" in Los Angeles, that would've been a good thing.

Plus Neon Genesis Evangelion has been stuck in development hell forever. For the same reason Akira was: The budget requirements of a faithful adaptation scares off a lot of folks.
Last edited by Adam Balm on Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:28 pm

There were two American live-action movies based on Bio-Booster Armor Guyver, the first of which starred Mark Hamill. Admittedly, the anime was an adaptation of a manga, but it was a popular anime television series and anime movie. The US productions were lower-budget affairs, but there have been plenty of good lower-budget action films of various sorts and some lower-key anime probably would do well as small live-action productions. The space war and other super-tech stories are, as teh Balm and others point out, expensive. Economics say that unless you're getting Tom Cruise for Evangelion or Shia for Akira (j/k) the project will not fly.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Fievel on Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:57 pm

Don't forget Cameron's upcoming Battle Angel Alita!
I'd guess that if it's a success that studios will be raping and pillaging the anime catalogue like the greedy whores they are.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Why are there no live action american anime adaptations?

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:00 pm

There have been a few, Guyver was named, There was also a Fist of the North Star one made, A crying Freeman by Chris Gans.

The problem is that as huge as a lot of the animes are, I dont think studios really graps the concepts on half of them or even figure that they're really that big.

This is way im so bumbed that Cameron has decided to make Battle Angle Alita after Avatar and not before, I would of boosted Anime movies like Transformers is doing for 80's toons.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Fawst on Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:22 pm

This is what happens when you make live action anime. Everyone wants a Dragonball movie? Enjoy.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:30 pm

Aeon Flux? Not Japanese but similar. Remember how that one turned out!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:35 pm

and on a side note, I belive that Transformers is an AMERICAN cartoon, from a Japanese toy line.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby LaDracul on Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:41 pm

Yes, but I think the animation was produced in Japan, like "Thundercats".
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:47 pm

Fawst wrote:This is what happens when you make live action anime. Everyone wants a Dragonball movie? Enjoy.

What is Drangonball-ish in that clip?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby instant_karma on Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:54 pm

This may just be pointless pedantry , but some of the series mentioned so far like Speed Racer, Akira and Crying Freeman were done as manga before being adapted to anime.

Wasn't there talk of a US remake of Battle Royale a couple of years back?
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:01 pm

LaDracul wrote:Yes, but I think the animation was produced in Japan, like "Thundercats".

Then by that statement, Simpsons is a Korean Show as its Animated in Korea.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Re: Why are there no live action american anime adaptations?

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:05 pm

bastard_robo wrote:
LaDracul wrote:Yes, but I think the animation was produced in Japan, like "Thundercats".

Then by that statement, Simpsons is a Korean Show as its Animated in Korea.

But unlike the Simpsons it was developed in conjunction with Takara in Japan under Sunbow.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:24 pm

Anyway, I'm the type of person who'd totally watch an "Excel Saga" movie. And I'd base it on the episode with the giant robot panda terrorizing the City of F with Excel and Hyatt at the controls.

Richard Roxburgh as Il Palozzo...that would rock out loud. And they'd better have the bit where he's trying to learn how to play the guitar.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Wolfpack on Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:45 pm

Because no human being has eyes that large.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:57 pm

Wolfpack wrote:Because no human being has eyes that large.

Down low.

Too slow.

;)
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Wolfpack on Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:03 pm

Adam Balm wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:Because no human being has eyes that large.

Down low.

Too slow.

;)

Dammit! Oh well, won't be the first time my failing to read every post in the thread has lead to a cyber-faux pas. Let's just say I concur heartily with buster00.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:11 pm

I make the same mistake at least twice a day, so don't sweat it. I was only funnin...
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:24 pm

There are other posts above yours, Balm?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Fawst on Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:28 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
Fawst wrote:This is what happens when you make live action anime. Everyone wants a Dragonball movie? Enjoy.

The fact that the movie is called Dragon Ball: The Magic Begins. The kid in the red gi is "Monkey Boy" or "The Boy Monkey King." It's a live action Dragon Ball movie. *shrug*
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:24 am

Fawst wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:

The fact that the movie is called Dragon Ball: The Magic Begins. The kid in the red gi is "Monkey Boy" or "The Boy Monkey King." It's a live action Dragon Ball movie. *shrug*

Wow......just Wow.....

Though I remember a US tv miniseries recently starring the guy from Dharma and Greg that was a loose adaptation of the Monkey King myths that Dragonball is based on....
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:19 am

buster00 wrote:It's really hard to find actors who have eyes the size of toilet seats.

But not impossible, eh?

DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:27 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
buster00 wrote:It's really hard to find actors who have eyes the size of toilet seats.

But not impossible, eh?

GAH! Satan reappears!
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Re: Why are there no live action american anime adaptations?

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:32 am

bastard_robo wrote:GAH! Satan reappears!

Calm down, eh paisan? It's a not like she's a the mexican or a something...
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby DennisMM on Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:00 am

I have no idea who we're lookin' at there. Alba?
DennisMM

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:08 am

DennisMM wrote:I have no idea who we're lookin' at there. Alba?

Alba didnt screw Eminem in 8 mile ;)
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby DennisMM on Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:22 am

Never saw 8 Mile, but IMDB says ... oh, is that what Brittany Murphy looks like?
DennisMM

Postby LaDracul on Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:37 am

At this time, I want to point out Paulie Litt, who was cast as Spritle in "Speed Racer"-
ImageImage
Now that is one eerie resemblance...
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:39 am

Can he talk like a middle-aged man screeching at breathless speed? That's the real test of Speed Racer. Does anyone know why the US performers talked so quickly? Is Japanese a much more compact language, if you know what I mean?
DennisMM

Postby LaDracul on Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:42 am

I'm thinking that because they didn't have the Word-Fit technology then, they had to probably take the entire translation.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby kid on an escalator on Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:14 pm

Why do you want a live action anime? Isn't the anime itself good enough for you?
kid on an escalator
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Al Shut on Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:20 pm

I might have missed something but I didn't hear much voices clamoring for live action animes in here.

That said I do want americanized live action versions of Bubblegum crisis and Doomed Megalopolis.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:23 pm

I think they are making a live action version of Monster, which was fantastic and if you havent seen it do so!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby minstrel on Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:23 pm

Live action would just make anime even worse.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby godzillasushi on Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:26 pm

kid on an escalator wrote:Why do you want a live action anime? Isn't the anime itself good enough for you?

You're just too content with everything. Why don't you want something revolutionary and fresh? Why not something we have never seen live action before? Anime has some of the best storylines out there. Stuff we can only imagine. Why not transfer that to the big screen with special effects that are on par with Transformers. Eh?

Sweden is just to content with itself in the first place.

I'd like to Americanize Sweden personally....force you guys to drive SUV's and eat unhealthy.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:33 pm

There are some animes that would be a really amazing experience were they to be done in a live action format. Akira lends itself well to the idea. People have shot me down for saying it in the past, but come on. Akira as the holy grail of anime does not a good argument make. Let's remember, Akira the anime was RADICALLY different from Akira the manga. Live action Akira is absolutely possible. It just needs to have a LOTR sized budget, be cast entirely with Japanese actors, and be subtitled. Other than that, it's not that tough.

And it would be fucking amazing.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:35 pm

godzillasushi wrote:
kid on an escalator wrote:Why do you want a live action anime? Isn't the anime itself good enough for you?

You're just too content with everything. Why don't you want something revolutionary and fresh? Why not something we have never seen live action before? Anime has some of the best storylines out there. Stuff we can only imagine. Why not transfer that to the big screen with special effects that are on par with Transformers. Eh?

I'd like to Americanize Sweden personally....force you guys to drive SUV's and eat unhealthy.

Just dont americanize their music. They have been making some of the best pop music lately.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby godzillasushi on Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:39 pm

I always wanted to see Gundam Wing like that. But with the Gundam Wing storyline, not the other ones (Gundam, and the others).

Just picturing these huge machines doing battle with a smooth flowing style is awesome. I can picture those air battles and space attacks. And the main characters are more then just Japanese. They come from all over the world. Very cool stuff!

And the storyline was based around the colonies and all that stuff. I dunno, just would be incredible as a live action movie. Of course, the largest budget in history would be required and the CG would have to be 20 years from now good haha.

/My two cents, representing the amount of geek cred I still have left.

stereosforgeeks wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:

Just dont americanize their music. They have been making some of the best pop music lately.

Yea some nights I can hear him playing that stuff in the background. I assume that is what I hear. Swedish pop, taking Andy Moogle's house by storm.
Last edited by godzillasushi on Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Cockblocker on Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:39 pm

They should make a live action Urotsukidoji!!!
The Cockblocker
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fawst on Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:57 pm

godzillasushi wrote:I always wanted to see Gundam Wing like that. But with the Gundam Wing storyline, not the other ones (Gundam, and the others).

Ugh, I can't disagree more. If you're going to make Gundam a live action movie (and they already have, poorly), you need to do 0080, 0083 or 08th MS Team. I personally would prefer 0083, as it's my favorite in the whole franchise, but 08th is incredible as well.

Gundam actually wouldn't be so bad to do either, I don't think. Transformers was tip of the iceberg compared to what Gundam could be. With Weta constantly (and I mean CONSTANTLY) updating their technology, it won't be very long at all before full-on CGI enhanced action/sci-fi films will be not only possible, but commonplace.

Oh, and I hate Gundam Wing, thought I'd clarify that.

One of the only animes I can think of that just flat out would NOT work as live action is Cowboy Bebop. Don't need it, don't want it.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:30 pm

The Dino, he always a thought that a The Matrix, she WAS a the live-action anime, no?

Maybe not a the adaptation of a the original work, but more like a the amalgamation of a the general themes, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Fawst on Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:50 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:The Dino, he always a thought that a The Matrix, she WAS a the live-action anime, no?

Maybe not a the adaptation of a the original work, but more like a the amalgamation of a the general themes, eh?

The Matrix was the proof-of-concept work to show that anime could work as live action ;)
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:13 pm

Fawst wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:I always wanted to see Gundam Wing like that. But with the Gundam Wing storyline, not the other ones (Gundam, and the others).

Ugh, I can't disagree more. If you're going to make Gundam a live action movie (and they already have, poorly), you need to do 0080, 0083 or 08th MS Team. I personally would prefer 0083, as it's my favorite in the whole franchise, but 08th is incredible as well.

Gundam actually wouldn't be so bad to do either, I don't think. Transformers was tip of the iceberg compared to what Gundam could be. With Weta constantly (and I mean CONSTANTLY) updating their technology, it won't be very long at all before full-on CGI enhanced action/sci-fi films will be not only possible, but commonplace.

Oh, and I hate Gundam Wing, thought I'd clarify that.

One of the only animes I can think of that just flat out would NOT work as live action is Cowboy Bebop. Don't need it, don't want it.

Well WTF then dude haha.

Gundam Wing is THE BEST incarnation of that entire brand. I would love to hear why Gundam Wing, which had just about everything perfect, wouldn't be a great choice. The politics were there, characters were great, storylines intertwined stunningly well. You sir, just made a die hard Gundam Wing fan upset. :evil: :wink:

And then you run with Gundam over Gundam Wing? You're crazy! At it's time it was fresh but the newer series are leagues above the original. I liked it for its entertainment value, but it has never been something I would go so far as to "care" about.

And you're right, with what they pulled of in Transformers, could you just imagine the chaos for a Gundam? Those are like Transformers on crack. One machine can wipe out 100 enemies.

Weren't they making an Evangelion movie at some point too?

I stopped watching anime a few years ago (besides Gundam Wing, AKA best anime series ever) but I always thought Escaflowne would be great as a live action movie.

Cowboy Bebop would be a dumb idea, definately.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Animation