Why are there no live-action anime adaptations?

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Live action anime: Good idea or bad idea?

Good idea!
45%
Bad Idea!
55%

Total votes : 11

Postby Fawst on Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:38 pm

Escaflowne would be awesome, I love that series! I was thinking the same thing, giant mechs + fantasy = :shock:

Ok, I guess I should clarify a bit more about Wing. I truly enjoyed it when it first came out. Then I lost the interest somewhere along the way and dropped it. And then... IT happened. I was in Anime Crash or Tokyo Kid in Boston, I forget which. And I saw the gayest wall scroll. It was the pilot of the Deathscythe, looking all girl-friendly, pulling his shirt halfway up his body to show off his abs. His abs. His fucking ABS. Oh, and the Deathscythe was behind him in the image. Oh man was it painful.

But it got worse.

Behind that was another one, featuring a different pilot. And another. And another. And it was all so homosexual that I couldn't stand it anymore. Not that I have anything against homosexual anime, I don't watch it myself, but some people might dig on watching Initial D :D

The only other thing I have against Wing being done first is the fact that it's the alternate universe version of Gundam.

...oh, fuck it, I want to see the Heavy Arms unleashing all unholy HELL upon legions of OZ militants :D
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:28 pm

Fawst wrote:Ok, I guess I should clarify a bit more about Wing. I truly enjoyed it when it first came out. Then I lost the interest somewhere along the way and dropped it. And then... IT happened. I was in Anime Crash or Tokyo Kid in Boston, I forget which. And I saw the gayest wall scroll. It was the pilot of the Deathscythe, looking all girl-friendly, pulling his shirt halfway up his body to show off his abs. His abs. His fucking ABS. Oh, and the Deathscythe was behind him in the image. Oh man was it painful.

NOOOOO! THAT WAS MY FAVORITE CHARACTER DUO!!! :cry: :lol:

Dang....

:cry:

Fawst wrote:...oh, fuck it, I want to see the Heavy Arms unleashing all unholy HELL upon legions of OZ militants

Did you ever see Endless Waltz?

Good lord Heavy Arms was so cool in that movie. His modified Gundam just looked incredibly awesome.

I know Wing was alternate universe stuff but there was enough in it to make it feel like a part of the series. Like Zechs and his mask, or the Leo suits.

My perfect fight image is Epyon ripping through an army of like 200 guys. :shock: That sucker was FAST!
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby djcribage on Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:16 pm

kid on an escalator wrote:Why do you want a live action anime? Isn't the anime itself good enough for you?

ah no in my initial question, I stated that I am not wishing for said adaptations, I am simply curious as to why it hasn't happened yet.
djcribage
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:19 pm

The Cockblocker wrote:They should make a live action Urotsukidoji!!!

You know, the Chojin was the ultimate Cockblocker....
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby kid on an escalator on Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:48 pm

godzillasushi wrote:
kid on an escalator wrote:Why do you want a live action anime? Isn't the anime itself good enough for you?

You're just too content with everything. Why don't you want something revolutionary and fresh? Why not something we have never seen live action before? Anime has some of the best storylines out there. Stuff we can only imagine. Why not transfer that to the big screen with special effects that are on par with Transformers. Eh?

Sweden is just to content with itself in the first place.

I'd like to Americanize Sweden personally....force you guys to drive SUV's and eat unhealthy.

I have watched live action anime/manga. There are plenty of those in Japan. Not sure why you absolutely must have American versions instead.

And I really don't think that most animes/mangas would transfer that well into live action. Just the thought of seeing Berserk as live action makes me want to kill myself.
kid on an escalator
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby King Psyz on Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:55 pm

you would want that wouldn't you?

just be careful, you might get tentacleblocked...
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby SilentBobX on Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:25 am

To me it depends on the franchise. Personally I'd like to see some hot nubile actress go all out for a live action American version of Kekko Kamen(there's already a Japanese live action version).

Seriously tho. I'd think any of the old school anime tv series would do great like Battle of the Planets(rumored to be underway), or Starblazers. Closest we've come to that I'd say is the new Battlestar Galactica, but that's open to debate.

A live action Cowboy Bebop for my money would certainly kick a major amount of ass if cast and written well. Samurai 7, too.

Mahalo

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby LaDracul on Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:53 am

Actually, SBX, they're making it all CGI. Which will suck.

Though I still think that a live-action version might bring back some POTP flashbacks...-shudders-
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby The Cockblocker on Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:56 am

King Psyz wrote:

you would want that wouldn't you?

just be careful, you might get tentacleblocked...

Why thank you, you flatter me! :oops:
The Cockblocker
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:15 am

I guess it's a risk/reward thing. Like Fievel said, if Battle Angel Alita makes a lot of money, maybe it'll push certain projects like Neon Genesis Evangelion or Akira out of development hell, for better or worse. I probably know more about anime than most people in America, percentage-wise, and my experience with it is pretty much limited to whatever I see on Cartoon Network, so only the popular and/or high-concept shows are probably on producers' radar to begin with -- with the exception of properties like Battle Angel that happen to be championed by filmmakers with industry clout -- and most of those would cost a small fortune to produce. There's probably a lot of good anime that can be produced at a moderate budget, but I don't know how thoroughly Hollywood examines the genre.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fawst on Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:22 am

kid on an escalator wrote:I have watched live action anime/manga. There are plenty of those in Japan. Not sure why you absolutely must have American versions instead.

Dude, why do you have to be racist? :)

TOTALLY joking, but when I first read that, my initial reaction was "er, I'm American, why WOULDN'T I want an American version?" Well, the real answer is because most of the live action Japanese versions are low budget, low quality (for the most part) hack adaptations that are trying too hard to be a literal translation of anime to live action. It doesn't work well that way. Also, it's nice to see a fresh take on a material. The translation (figuratively, not literaly) from Japanese to American is part of why I'd want to see these done this way.

kid on an escalator wrote:And I really don't think that most animes/mangas would transfer that well into live action. Just the thought of seeing Berserk as live action makes me want to kill myself.

No one ever said that EVERY manga/anime would translate well. To be honest, you're right, most of them wouldn't. I'm pretty sure no one gives a shit about getting Tank Girl -- oh, wait a sec. No one GAVE a shit about getting Tank Girl. But there are quite a few that would be sweet to have. We already went over Gundam, Macross would be nice, Patlabor might work well, Akira obviously would be phenomenal, and even something like Jin-Roh would be interesting. But the point isn't that we need an AMERICAN version, we need QUALITY versions. I'll gladly allow those geniuses in New Zealand to make some :) Then again, I've gone on the record as saying that if Akira were ever to be made, I'd want an all Japanese cast, filmed in Japanese.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:24 am

kid on an escalator wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:

You're just too content with everything. Why don't you want something revolutionary and fresh? Why not something we have never seen live action before? Anime has some of the best storylines out there. Stuff we can only imagine. Why not transfer that to the big screen with special effects that are on par with Transformers. Eh?

I'd like to Americanize Sweden personally....force you guys to drive SUV's and eat unhealthy.

I have watched live action anime/manga. There are plenty of those in Japan. Not sure why you absolutely must have American versions instead.

And I really don't think that most animes/mangas would transfer that well into live action. Just the thought of seeing Berserk as live action makes me want to kill myself.

Well yea, but not all of them are impossible. There are very do-able ones. And Americanizing over Japanese live-action flicks makes sense. Most of them are basically crap. Like that link Fawst posted to that Gundam movie. It might be their properties, but Japan has never been known to churn out hit live action classics on a weekly basis. They're in over they're heads. Japan can't handle themselves. We need product placement and giant robots now. Why didn't you play with us last night? Eh? Dude! Be a lil' nicer buddy! I wanted to play but you went over to Guitar Hero. When someone plays that they are usually alone and bored. Lighten up on the insults so we can play :wink:

Or make fun of Rusty and me! We handle it pretty well :twisted:
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:35 am

godzillasushi wrote:
kid on an escalator wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:

Well yea, but not all of them are impossible. There are very do-able ones.

I think Monster is being made live action. There are actually not many special effects needed for this one either. The only thing I worry about s that supporting cast is amazing and I feel like too many of them would be cut out if this wasn't done as a trilogy or miniseries.

I reccomend everyone seeing it at some point.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby LaDracul on Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:43 am

Well, there's news that WB REALLY wants to make the live-action "Akira". I still say, this, "Monster" and "Death Note" should wait until they see how "Speed Racer" does...although I know it'll be a success.

EDIT-You think it'll get to the point where the mundane stuff like "Prince of Tennis" (Which is about a teenager's quest to become a top tennis player) will be made?

LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Re: Why are there no live action american anime adaptations?

Postby Al Shut on Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:39 pm

I want a live action Porco Rosso.

Drop the sillyness and the literal aproach to the loss of humanity ( i.e. no pig :shock: heresy) and it has everything need for great classic Hollywood cinema.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby SilentBobX on Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:24 pm

I can probably come up with several decent reasons as to why this is so

Ahem....

1. Hollywood is currently in the throes of a PG13 deathgrip, which would severely hamper any decent attempt to bring most of the R-rated anime to American theaters

2. Hollywood sees 'CARTOONS' not 'Anime'. Cartoons=children=Get rid of the big breasted chick with the rocket launcher and toss in a wisecracking dog that pees on the bad guy to save the day. Anime=Weird japanese stuff that(very important here:) WON'T make us a shitfleet of cash the way a cartoon would. Note this is Hollywood saying this and not me.

3. Most anime consists of people with hairdos and impossibly huge weapons that not only defy the laws of physics, but would test the patience and power of disbelief of just about any audience with 10 active brain cells.

4. No actress of any note would consider that getting gang raped by a 200 tentacled fuck-knows-what on screen would be a positive career move.

5. Changing the names would pretty much make ANY live action interpretation an 'In Name Only'. Can you imagine Tetuso and Kaneda from Akira being changed to Willy and Jo Jo?? I think NOT

6. Alot of anime out there also involves some of the weirdest shit ever imagined on any drug invented since the middle ages. See: Pokemon, Inuyasha, and Howl's Moving Castle. Some things just belong in the animated world and I'm content to leave it there.

7. Cost. Alot of the CG that would be required to make these films a reality would pretty much catapult the cost into the stratosphere(as opposed to the ionosphere of $100-150 million. The VERY VERY VERY tough economic times ahead are imho, a portent of things to come in Hollywood. In essence, it means chances are we won't be seeing a whole slew of movies with enough money thrown into them to pull a dozen third world countries out of debt. The new scheme, as I see it, is going to be more slanted toward low budget and independent films made on the cheap and marketed to make more money(see: Blair Witch).

That''s it from me. If you wanted 10, then you should've called Dave Letterman or Moses.

Mahalo

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby LaDracul on Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:21 pm

Well, did anyone hear about VIZ opening a motion picture production company?

http://www.viz.com/news/newsroom/?id=114

With "Death Note" and "Monster" in development at WB, and "Dragon Ball" at Fox for release this spring, they're dead serious.

I'm also thinking that they're going to greenlight "Vampire Knight" if "Twilight" does well...

(And I will tell you right now, I'm more interested in seeing "Vampire Knight" as a movie than "Twilight"...)

Also, I know that Jennifer Garner's production company has the rights to "Be With You", which is a manga based on a novel...

Screw that, someone make "Godchild" with Cillain Murphy.

(Hell, I'd be happy if the BBC got the rights and made a series of films based on it...)
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:51 pm

WB nabs rights to 'Ninja Scroll'
Studio to give anime a live-acton makeover

MICHAEL FLEMING wrote:Warner Bros. has acquired rights to turn the Japanese action thriller anime "Ninja Scroll" into a live action feature. Alex Tse has been set to write the script.

Pic will be produced by Leonardo DiCaprio's Appian Way, with Jennifer Davisson Killoran and Mike Ireland producing. Appian is mounting the film as a co-production with Mad House.

"Scroll," set in feudal Japan, revolves around ninja for hire is forced to fight an old enemy who will stop at nothing to overthrow the government. DiCaprio is not planning to act in the film.

Tse's recent credits include the Zack Snyder-directed "Watchmen," and the adaptation of Ray Bradbury novel "The Illustrated Man," which Snyder is planning to direct for Warner Bros. He also adapted "Frankie Machine," based on the Don Winslow novel "The Winter of Frankie Machine." Michael Mann is attached to direct and Robert De Niro to star for Paramount.

source: variety
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Why are there no live-action anime adaptations?

Postby Archive on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:35 pm

Have you guys seen Casshern? As much as the Matrix worked, Casshern didn't. So many of the action beats in Anime can't be translated to film in the same aesthetic light, that a filmmaker is probably better off just creating new content around the themes they admire in Japanese animation.

With respect to the idea of remaking Miyazaki, I'd rather see a live action Toy Story. For the record, I don't want to see a live-action Toy Story.
Archive
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Fievel on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:47 pm

Archive wrote:Have you guys seen Casshern? As much as the Matrix worked, Casshern didn't. So many of the action beats in Anime can't be translated to film in the same aesthetic light, that a filmmaker is probably better off just creating new content around the themes they admire in Japanese animation.

We used to have a Casshern thread but it doubled as a Casshern/Nightwatch thread and ultimately Nightwatch took it over.

I dig Casshern a lot from a visual perspective, but it just got too cerebral for its own good.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Archive on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:03 pm

Fievel wrote:We used to have a Casshern thread...

Fair enough - my intention wasn't to mix threads, so much as make a point about the problems of translating Anime into live-action. To me, that was really the central point of Casshern, and while I like it, it didn't work for me. Parts were visually engaging, but they didn't glue together into a story - partly because the way the stunts were executed and shot made the action seem too inhuman.

When the characters are animated, we have an entrance-point. We place ourselves in the action, Scott McCloud-style. When it's a real human being, someone specific... someone ELSE... most of the conventions of anime hurt our suspension of disbelief. I found the same true of Speed Racer, although that film hinged less on audience empathy with the main character, and had better performances to close the gap.
Archive
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Seppuku on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:29 pm

Archive wrote:Have you guys seen Casshern? As much as the Matrix worked, Casshern didn't. So many of the action beats in Anime can't be translated to film in the same aesthetic light, that a filmmaker is probably better off just creating new content around the themes they admire in Japanese animation.

I'm not sure about that. Considering Hollywood's been reduced to adapting board games, you'd think they might try looking further afield for inspiration. Anime isn't just slo-mo action and killer robots. I've been watching this one called Monster recently, which is a pretty fucking intense psychological thriller set in Germany. No sci-fi in sight. And there are hundreds more where that came from. It would work just as well in live-action as it does animated, although I think it's strangely more atmospheric as an anime.

EDIT: Woah, I just checked on IMDB and apparently it IS getting adapted into a Hollywood movie by the guy who wrote the History of Violence screenplay. Now I've got to go all Schrodinger's Cat and wonder, would that have happened if I hadn't typed this post just now? Did I just will the movie into existence? I rock!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue May 12, 2009 10:15 am

We were talking about this when The Spirit came out. I actually think both The Spirit and Speed Racer are perfect in the artistic achievement of creating live action cartoons, they aren't perfect adaptations of their source material, but perfect in terms of achieving cartoonishness. The problem is that neither of them is very appealing as a movie and that's the problem. There are things that are amusing in a 30 minute cartoon or a three panel funnypages comic strip that just don't sustain a movie.

So the problem with adapting a lot of anime shows and mangas is the same problem faced by an adaptation of a comedy sketch or a television show: making it satisfying on a larger scale.

As for live-action remakes of anime films. Well, it's another one of those cases of what's the point? But I don't mind remakes general, so I'd see how each one shaped up and decide whether I wanted to see it.

I always liked how anime filmmakers take their craft seriously and try to make actual movies that just happen to be animated. Like some of you have mentioned, animation has no budget constraints. It costs the same to draw a giant spaceship attack a city as it does to draw to people talking and so anime movies can be as big and imaginative as they like and accomplishing the same thing in live action would require huge amounts of expensive effects and CGI.

Some anime films are ripe for adaptation. Spielburg talked about doing Ghost In The Shell years ago and I could see it working as a Blade Runner type movie. Princess Monoke is a straightup quest movie that would be a pretty easy sell in the post-LOTR era. And something like Perfect Blue always just seemed like a Brian DePalma movie anyway, and just doing it with people would probably be easier than the original animated one.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Bubblegum Crisis

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 15, 2009 4:06 pm

From THR.com:

The full reach of Singapore's network of international co-production treaties will be called on in order to produce "Bubblegum Crisis," a live-action adaptation of a Japanese cyberpunk anime series.

Producers from six countries signed off Thursday in Cannes on an accord to make the $30 million English-language picture, which is set for delivery in early 2012. Wrangled by Benjamin Toh of Singapore's Axxis International, who acts as exec producer, the deal brings together Tokyo-based Anime International Company Australia's Arclight Films, Canada's Wizzfilms, China's Infotainment China Media Co. and the U.K.'s Latec International.

The contract will make use of the Singapore-Australia, Australia-Canada, Canada-Singapore, China-Australia and China-Canada co-production treaties, potentially enabling the film to tap into soft money from the national governments and also qualify for mainland China release. A spokesman for Axxis said that some 70% of the finance is now in place. Principal photography will be carried out in Australia, with postproduction in Canada by Mokko Studio.

Director and cast have yet to be decided. The spokesman said that "Crisis" will feature two male leads and a quartet of female action babes -- two Caucasian and two Asian.

Infotainment has distribution rights in China, Taiwan and Hong Kong, while Arclight will handle remaining international sales outside the co-production territories.

From MTV: Six Countries Unite To Develop Live-Action ‘Bubblegum Crisis’ Film
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Live Action Evangelion

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:37 am

From AICN Friday, January 16, 2004:27 Live Action Weta Workshop Produced Designs For EVANGELION -- Commence Drooling!

From Movie Chronicles February 6th, 2009: Evangelion movie discussions still moving forward

From AICN Friday, May 15, 2009: AICN Anime - Impression of Imagi's Astro Boy, Evangelion Live Action Tease, Trigun Anime Movie, and It's Time to Read Guin Saga!
Neb's Blog reported from the Anime Central convention

During the opening ceremonies when ADV head Matt Greenfield was introduced, someone in the crowd shouted a question about if we'll ever see the long-promised live-action Neon Genesis Evangelion movie. "Soon, & I'm not kidding" was Mr. Greenfield's response. He clarified a bit later that evening during an Evangelion panel, saying the closer he gets to sealing the deal the less he can say anything about it. & the fact that he can't say anything at all anymore should be a clear sign to us how close the deal really is. He seemed pretty confident.]Neb's Blog reported from the Anime Central convention[/url]

During the opening ceremonies when ADV head Matt Greenfield was introduced, someone in the crowd shouted a question about if we'll ever see the long-promised live-action Neon Genesis Evangelion movie. "Soon, & I'm not kidding" was Mr. Greenfield's response. He clarified a bit later that evening during an Evangelion panel, saying the closer he gets to sealing the deal the less he can say anything about it. & the fact that he can't say anything at all anymore should be a clear sign to us how close the deal really is. He seemed pretty confident.

From IMDB: Untitled Evangelion Project (2012)
Last edited by TheButcher on Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Live Action Evangelion

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:23 am

From AICN:
AICN Anime - Live Action Evangelion Still a Possibility, Ghibli's Borrowers Dated, Sailor Moon Revival and More...
Scott Green wrote:Anime News Network's ANNCast featured a talk with producer Joseph Chou (Halo Legends, Appleseed: Ex Machina), during which Chou stated that efforts to adapt Neon Genesis Evangelion into live action is still "very active." Chou is listed as a producer on the project. Chou mentioned that there is a lot of paperwork to clear, but "once that's resolved, I think it would be on the fast track, so we're hoping that it'll start moving even next year."

Chou discussed the difficulties of selling the concept of the film to studios in Hollywood, due to the complexity of the story. However, Chou said that "right now we're with a producer and a studio that really understands beyond the whole mecha impact." Chou added, "They're really looking beyond that, and really looking at drama, human elements, even to those elements that appeal to otaku."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:55 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby ReynardCity on Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:00 am

Given the fact we've got a Tekken film coming out this year, it's only a matter of time before the back catalogue of anime gets raided and pilfered.
The problem is a kind of "influence boomerang" ie any film based on an anime like Akira or Ghost In The Shell will draw comparison with the films they spawned ie The Matrix!
"It's a bit like 90's Frank Miller...until you get to the slapstick fist fights" David Reynolds UEA Headlights on Reynard City Issue 12

http://www.reynardcity.co.uk
ReynardCity
GLIB

Postby TheButcher on Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:06 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:15 pm

Starz Nabs Assassin Project From Sam Raimi
Exclu: Starz has picked up an action project from Sam Raimi and Rob Tapert that's based on a Japanese anime TV series.

The premium cable network is developing Noir, a live-action U.S. remake of a 2001 show about two female assassins working in a criminal underworld. After discovering they're mysteriously linked, the two and have to work together on missions (under the moniker of "Noir") until they figure out why and how they are connected -- or until one of them kills the other.

Stephen Lightfoot (Criminal Justice and House of Saddam) is the writer and executive producer.

Raimi and Tapert will exec produce. The duo also produce Spartacus for the network, in addition to having worked on films such as Drag Me to Hell and the Evil Dead franchise.

The move is the latest in Starz' plan to develop compelling genre shows like the upcoming Camelot, a concept that AMC just proved can bring in big cable numbers with its powerful launch of The Walking Dead.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:40 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Al Shut on Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:33 am

Kite?

KIte???

I'll believe it when I see it. How different will it be after extending it to full movie lenght while simultaniously loosing the graphic teenage rapes?
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheButcher on Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:38 pm

Nakashima preps 'Advancing Titans' - Kawamura, Ishida to produce sci-fi actioner
Mark Schilling wrote:Helmer Tetsuya Nakashima plus producers Genki Kawamura and Yuji Ishida are set to make sci-fi actioner "Shingeki no kyojin" (Advancing Titans), based on a hit comicbook series.

The trio last teamed for 2010's "Confessions," a psycho-drama that earned $50 million and was selected as Japan's entry for the foreign language Oscar race.

"Titans" focuses on the survivors of an attack on Earth by human-devouring giants.

Hajime Isayama's six-comicbook series has sold 6.6 million copies since its launch in the Bessatsu Shonen Magazine in 2009.

Nakashima is still casting but plans to begin shooting in spring. Toho will release "Titans" in 2013.

Nakashima said that the pic, which will require extensive CGI, will be "the most expensive Japanese film ever," but did not name a figure. Hayao Miyazaki's "Ponyo" is reputedly the country's highest-budget film to date, coming in at $34 million in 2008.

From Anime News Network 2011-10-12:
Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan Manga to Get Film in Fall 2013

The email newsletter for Kodansha's Comic Plus members confirmed on Wednesday that a film adaptation of Hajime Isayama's Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) manga will open in Fall of 2013. More details will be provided in future postings of the newsletter.

Hajime Isayama launched Shingeki no Kyojin in Kodansha's Bessatsu Shōnen Magazine in 2009. The story follows the life of humans after giants suddenly appear and take over the entire world. To keep out these invaders who eat humans for food, the humans erect huge walls, but at the cost of their freedom in the outside world.

The manga has become a sleeper hit, selling over 3 million copies since last year. The fifth volume shipped in August.

The official website of Itako, a city north of Tokyo, posted an October 3 casting call for extras on the latest film by award-wining director Tetsuya Nakashima (Confessions, Kamikaze Girls, Paco and the Magical Picture Book). According to the casting call, the crew is looking for 80 "healthy male and female" extras "to play people fleeing in panic from 'giants' who suddenly appear in a peaceful shopping district."

"Attack on Titan" Anime Cast Revealed
"Death Note" director Tetsuro Araki's Project "Attack" anime turns out to be "Attack on Titan" manga adaptation
Scott Green wrote:As was widely speculated, Project "Attack" from Death Note/Highschool of the Dead director Tetsuro Araki and Production I.G subsidiary Studio Wit has turned out to be the adaptation of Hajime Isayama's Attack on Titan manga. Beyond that, a new promo spread also reveals the principal cast.

The manga, released in North America by Kodansha, is an intricately detailed and disturbing manga concerning how a human society reacts to the sudden onslaught of voracious giants.

Must See "Attack on Titan" Anime Trailer
Scott Green wrote:Wow... I'm not sure if this hype video will be indicative of the actual quality of Death Note/Highschool of the Dead director Tetsuro Araki and Production I.G (Ghost in the Shell) subsidiary Studio Wit's adaptation of Hajime Isayama's Attack on Titan manga. Still, you have to say that it looks quite impressive.

Keep an eye out for the show's Spring 2013 premiere.

The series is an intricately detailed and disturbing manga concerning how a human society reacts to the sudden onslaught of voracious giants. Kodansha began releasing it in North America this year.

Tetsuya Nakashima, who directed the nearly-Oscar-nominated adaptation of Confessions and the cult favorite adaptation of Kamikaze Girls, has a live action adaptation of Attack on Titan slated for fall 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKzmOh4SuBc
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:03 am

Al Shut wrote:Kite?

KIte???

I'll believe it when I see it. How different will it be after extending it to full movie lenght while simultaniously loosing the graphic teenage rapes?

Samuel L. Jackson Joins 'Kite' Remake, Says He Loves 'Oldboy' and Is Dying to Do More 'Star Wars'
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:06 am

TMT:
YOU MIGHT SEE A GUNDAM FILM; MORE ANIME STUFF IN YOUR THEATERS
CHARLES GERIAN wrote:KDrama reported from Sankaku Complex:

"Gundam" creator Yoshiyuki Tomino will hold a press conference on January 21 to announce his partnership with Legacy Effects to "bring Hollywood movies based on Japanese anime and manga titles to a global audience".

One of these titles is said to be "Gundam" though it is not sure what part of the huge "Gundam" series Legacy Effects and Yoshiyuki Tomino will make a Hollywood adaptation off.

Previous attempts to bring Japanese anime and manga to American screens have either been developed and never happened, such as WB's AKIRA, a live-action VOLTRON, and WETA's work on Neon Genesis Evangelion; are currently in some sort of planning such as Leo DiCaprio's rumored involvement with ROBOTECH, Guillermo Del Toro's adaption of MONSTER for HBO, and Shane Black's adaption of Death Note; or have been actually made and poorly received such as DragonBall: EVOLUTION, Fist of the North Star, OLDBOY and SPEED RACER (which was actually good).

Gundam Live Action Movie In The Works? 'Pacific Rim,' 'Iron Man' Visual FX Team To Partner With Creator Yoshiyuki Tomino On Hollywood Adaptation!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:34 pm

io9:
Transcendence Has Some Of The Dumbest Smart People We've Ever Seen

Hollywood Sci-Fi Films Are Ripping Off Anime
Transcendence’s tale about cybernetic potentiality is ingenious, but it was also done 16 years ago. Hollywood has been borrowing liberally from Japan’s anime and manga past.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:39 am

Fried Gold wrote:

The Akira Project - Live Action Trailer
The Akira Project is a crowd-sourced, non-profit project meant to create a live action fan trailer of AKIRA.

http://www.akira-project.com/

‘Project 2501′ Working To Recreate ‘Ghost In The Shell’ Title Sequence Shot-For-Shot [NSFW]

Project 2501 http://www.gits2501.com/
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:24 am

Current Status Of The Live-Action COWBOY BEBOP Movie And Chances Of New Anime Series
Mark Julian wrote:(translated)
"I'm afraid I don't know what they're thinking in Hollywood. Apparently the project hasn't come to a stop but I don't know how it's going to progress from here on. I hear that there are a lot of "Hollywood" problems."

So the live-action Cowboy Bebop movie isn't dead yet, more like, it's in a non-responsive, vegetable state. Moving on the possibility that the Cowboy Bebop anime could continue on in some way, Shinichiro shared---

(translated)
"As I always say, I have no plans to [continue the Cowboy Bebop anime] at the moment. If I ever were to make more Cowboy Bebop, [it] would be because I thought I could do better [than] last time. If I feel that way, I might make more but I don't know when that would happen."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:11 am

Japanese Anime Film Adaptation 'Tiger & Bunny' Lands Writer (Exclusive)
Ellen Shanman will write the script for the live-action project based on a popular Japanese manga.
Rebecca Ford wrote:The English-language live-action adaptation of hit Japanese anime series Tiger & Bunny has hired Ellen Shanman to write the script.

The project, from Imagine Entertainment, All Nippon Entertainment Works (ANEW), and BANDAI NAMCO Pictures, is a buddy hero story taking place in a near-futuristic city called “Stern Bild,” where professional superheroes known as "NEXT" fight crime and save lives.

When the veteran, Kotetsu T. Kaburagi “Wild Tiger” is forced to collaborate with the fearless but cocky rookie partner Barnaby Brooks Jr. “Bunny” the two polar opposite characters must learn to work as a team to fight evil, protect the city and save each other.

The live-action adaptation is being produced by Imagine's Brian Grazer and Ron Howard, ANEW’s CEO Sandy Climan and Annmarie Bailey, and Masayuki Ozaki on behalf of BANDAI NAMCO Pictures, a subsidiary of Sunrise. Ozaki produced the original Japanese Tiger & Bunny brand under the Sunrise banner, one of Japan’s leading anime studios. Imagine’s President Erica Huggins will oversee the new film on behalf of Imagine Entertainment.

The Tiger & Bunny property is a big hit in Japan. With characters and heroes designed by manga legend Masakazu Katsura,Tiger & Bunny first aired in Japan in 2011 as a late night TV series. Two animated films have been successful as well: Tiger & Bunny: The Beginning in 2012, and Tiger & Bunny: The Rising, in 2014. The property has grown to include live action stage shows, exhibitions, concerts and merchandising.

“As we move forward in developing the wonderful Tiger & Bunny film, we are delighted to add a true rising star in Ellen Shanman to bring the story and characters to life,” said Howard. “Ellen’s strong, visionary, creative voice is a perfect match to adapt this wildly popular story for new audiences,” he continued.

Shanman is the author of the novels Right Before Your Eyes and Everything Nice, which she adapted for Charlize Theron’s Denver & Delilah Productions. Shanman also adapted the novel Falling Out of Fashion (now called Liv) for 2S Films and Alcon Entertainment. Most recently, she adapted YA superhero novel The Brokenhearted for New Line Cinema and Alloy. She's repped by by UTA, Anonymous Content and the Law Hut.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:02 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:36 am

Deadline:
Popular Japanese Title ‘Attack On Titan’ Eyed By Warner Bros. For ‘Fantastic Beasts’ Producer David Heyman
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Mazinger Z

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:59 pm

ANN:
Mazinger Z Anime Gets Film Adaptation For 45th Anniversary

http://corp.toei-anim.co.jp/press/detail.php?id=558
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Maui on Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:24 pm

TheButcher wrote:Deadline:
Popular Japanese Title ‘Attack On Titan’ Eyed By Warner Bros. For ‘Fantastic Beasts’ Producer David Heyman

Cool. I hope it's better then Attack on Titan Part 1 and Part 2 films. God they were awful. The Manga series on Netflix is superb. Season 2 will be starting soon, I believe in April.
Maui
WoWie

Previous

Return to Animation