Random Animation (Come forward into Dementia-Five!!)

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Re: The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:40 pm

This Kavalier And Clay Animation Test Is Exciting And Unexpected
Brendon Connelly wrote:I’d love to see a big-screen version of Michael Chabon’s extraordinary novel, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, but I don’t think Stephen Daldry would be my number one choice of director. Either way, his long and determined efforts to bring the film to the screen (so far, but also probably finally) failed to yield a finished movie.

Development was, for a time, at full tilt, and it was during that process that the following test video was created. According to his official site (via Open Culture), animator Jamie Caliri was going above and beyond in his work here:
They asked me to explore animation concepts. I thought it would be much more fun to actually shoot a section of the script to intertwine live action and animation. It was a fun surprise for the producers.

There’s a lot of imagination in this clip – and skill, and ability – but maybe not enough focus or discipline. That’s okay, of course, for a “grab ‘em by the collars” demo like this, but if I watched a narrative film that pulled some of these stunts I’d be dismayed at the gimmickery…
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Spider-Man Cartoons

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:50 am

Last edited by TheButcher on Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: 'Thor & Loki: Blood Brothers'

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:12 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Lorax

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:45 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Voltron Force

Postby TheButcher on Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:38 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Voltron Force

Postby Fievel on Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:17 pm

Gotta appreciate the decision to NOT screw around too much with the lion/Voltron designs.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: Thor: Tales of Asgard

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:11 pm

Fearsome Frost Giants Rise in New 'Thor: Tales of Asgard' Clip [Exclusive Video]

Thor's multimedia adventures as a full-grown thunder god can be caught at length in this summer's live action film and corresponding videogame tie-ins, but only Lionsgate Home Entertainment and Marvel Animation are digging into the Odinson's youth. On May 17 fans can peer into the past with Thor: Tales of Asgard, which follows a pre-Mjolnir Thor, his brother Loki and the Warriors Three on a quest for the Sword of Surthur. Like a lot of teenage intentions, however, things don't go according to plan and the crew wind up having to save Asgard from a Frost Giant invasion they inadvertently caused. See ComicsAlliance's exclusive clip of the icy foes springing to life after the jump.

While aimed primarily at the all-ages crowd, Tales of Asgard has got a team with a legit track record for bringing all manner of comic characters to life in animation including director Sam Liu (All-Star Superman, Planet Hulk) supervising producer Craig Kyle (The Invincible Iron Man, Ultimate Avengers, Hulk Vs.) and screenwriter Greg Johnson (X-Men: Evolution, G.I. Joe: Renegades).

Thor: Tales of Asgard arrives on Blu-ray, DVD and digital (including on game consoles) May 17.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: ParaNorman

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 07, 2011 9:57 pm

Last edited by TheButcher on Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Star Trek

Postby TheButcher on Mon May 16, 2011 3:50 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Random Animation (Come forward into Dementia-Five!!)

Postby Ribbons on Tue May 24, 2011 2:55 pm

I just started watching this anime show on Hulu called Rainbow - anybody ever hear of it? It's set in a reform school that feels like a prison camp, and is about six kids banding together to take on their despotic headmaster, or something.

I don't know what to make of it just yet. The tone is pretty melodramatic, but I guess that's appropriate given the plot. I'm definitely in for at least a couple more episodes, though.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:30 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: TRANSFORMERS: THE JAPANESE COLLECTION

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:01 am

Last edited by TheButcher on Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:57 am

From Collider:
HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA Poster/Banner
Little known fact about Dracula: he is not only the Prince of Darkness, but also the owner of Hotel Transylvania, a five-star resort for the world’s monsters. But for Dracula, it’s also where he protects Mavis, his teenage daughter. But when a curious young traveler discovers the hotel—and Mavis—the overprotective dad must use his powers of persuasion to keep her from falling in love.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:59 am

From Variety:
Toei toons up animation - Japanese animation house exploits library
John Hopewell & Mark Schilling wrote:ANNECY -- Few companies made a larger splash at early June's Annecy Animation Festival than Japan's Toei Animation.

A billboard proclaiming its flagship anime movie, 3D sci-fi adventure-fantasy "Space Pirate Captain Harlock," framed the fest's main Bonville venue entrance.

Leiji Matsumoto, the venerable creator of "Harlock's" manga and TV series, took to the stage to a standing ovation at a work-in-progress presentation.

The trailer boasted high-octane battles as Captain Harlock, a taciturn renegade, sails vast and void galaxies, battling Earth's oppressors, both human and alien. The first onscreen incarnation of "Harlock" was a 1978 Toei Animation TV toon series adapting Matsumoto's manga work, but this rendition features a modern CG movie makeover, directed by Shinji Aramaki ("Appleseed").

And like Harlock, Toei Animation is exploring its own final frontier: International markets.

"Japanese animation mainly used to target the domestic market," says Cedric Biscay, prexy-CEO of Shibuya Intl. "Now there are multiple (projects) targeting international audiences, especially 'Tekken: Blood Vengeance' and 'Harlock.' "

Toei Animation producer Yoshi Ikezawa say that Europe, as well as Japan, are key markets for "Harlock." France in particular has a large fan base for anime.

"The old business model," Ikezawa adds, was to "make a Japanese film in Japan then export it overseas." Now Toei is listening to what the overseas markets want, and the Japanese giant may make a film overseas, as with live-action robot movie "Gaeking." "Harlock" will be made in Japan, with overseas distribution in mind.

Biscay says the animated films that are ready to hit globally are faster paced, and very different from past Japanese fare. In fact, one might say that Toei Animation's international focus has a foreign model.

"Marvel is pretty well going through its entire catalog, DC Comics the same," says "Captain Harlock" producer Joseph Chou.

Toei, the oldest and biggest Japanese animation studio wants to follow suit.

"It has a lot of intellectual property and relationships with globally famous IP creators," Chou says. "There's huge value to be unlocked."

Chou adds that Japan's DVD slump is hitting animation particularly hard, and companies are looking for new revenue streams. Total Japanese video spending has fallen 25% from ¥753 billion ($9.3 billion) in 2005 to $6.4 billion last year, IHS-Screen Digest estimates. At home and abroad, anime DVD sales are trending downward as fans access content through streaming and file-sharing sites.

Toei Animation may be in a very good place to exploit its properties more fully; it usually sells its rights directly, unlike other Japanimation producers, who sell through third parties. And it has sales offices in Paris and Los Angeles.

Ikezawa produced "RoboDz," an original property, for Toei Animation and Disney. Toei and Cartoon Network co-produced "Powerpuff Girls," a U.S. redo of a Toei property.

"Harlock" was an anime sensation when it was exported to France in 1978, creating a so-called Albator Generation of fans. DVD packaging and merchandizing in Europe has performed steadily ever since, even three decades later, Ikezawa says.

But serious challenges remain.

"Harlock" is 3D CG: Japanese auds still prefer 2D anime, and "Harlock" is well known by older anime fans, not so much by younger ones.

That said, Chou points to the success of CG-made "Final Fantasy Advent Children," a direct-to-DVD title with global DVD/Blu-ray revenues of more than $70 million, around half of that from Japan.

Another Matsumoto title, "Space Battleship Yamato," saw a live-action version this year that was a $50 million hit, with domestic megastar Takuya Kimura playing the lead.

Director Aramaki promises to update "Harlock," referencing social problems that affect younger generations worldwide.

The challenge within Japan's domestic market is one good reason to take "Harlock" international in the first place. "A lot of people in Japan's anime industry are sensing the same possibilities and watching how this project (performs in the) world market," Ikezawa says.

One thing seem certain: If "Harlock" clicks internationally, more cosmopolitan anime will follow.

Anson Woodring contributed to this report.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:38 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Studio Ghibli's: Karigurashi no Arrietty

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:35 am

‘Kokuriko-Zaka Kara’ Trailer: Goro Miyazaki’s Second Film For Studio Ghibli
Russ Fischer wrote:We just saw a new trailer for Arrietty, the Studio Ghibli movie directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi and co-written by Hayao Miyazaki that was released in Japan not long ago and will hit the US early next year. But there is also a new trailer for another Ghibli film, Kokuriko-Zaka Kara, which was directed by the younger Miyazaki, Goro Miyazaki.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:38 pm

The Saturday schedule for Comic-Con is up.

10:30-11:30 The Return of Action-Adventure Animation
The pendulum of audience and network taste in animation regularly swings between wacky comedy, comedy-adventure, and true action-adventure. And that's where it seems to be heading right now. The Writers Guild of America's Animation Writers Caucus returns to Comic-Con with a panel of animation writers and studio and network executives discussing whether it's really changing and what to expect. Panelists include moderator Craig Miller (Beast Wars, G.I. Joe), Stan Berkowitz (The 99, Justice League), Steven Melching (Transformers Prime, Star Wars: The Clone Wars), Warner Bros. Animation's director of series and shorts Jeff Prezenkowski (Thundercats, Green Lantern), and others. Room 8
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS 2

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:37 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:39 am

New Bevis and Butthead

Can't believe this is trying to come back. And believe me, I was a fan back in the early 90s (perfect college-aged humor). Maybe that's where it'll be a hit again. Too bad there aren't any music videos for them to make fun of anymore.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:44 am

so sorry wrote:New Bevis and Butthead

Can't believe this is trying to come back. And believe me, I was a fan back in the early 90s (perfect college-aged humor). Maybe that's where it'll be a hit again. Too bad there aren't any music videos for them to make fun of anymore.

Yeah. The stories were funny the first time around, but I really didn't enjoy watching the reruns. Beavis & Butthead was 100% all about the music videos (I still love watching them on YouTube).
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:51 am

Fievel wrote:
so sorry wrote:New Bevis and Butthead

Yeah. The stories were funny the first time around, but I really didn't enjoy watching the reruns. Beavis & Butthead was 100% all about the music videos (I still love watching them on YouTube).

Agreed. Based on that clip, seems that B&B may be commenting on reality tv shows (the clip shows them riffing on The Jersey Shore).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:18 pm

Comic-Con: Hulk Smashes New Team Cartoon]Comic-Con: Hulk Smashes New Team Cartoon
Scott Collura wrote:Marvel TV boss Jeph Loeb was wowing the crowd today with new announcements on both the live-action and animated front. Case in point: The Hulk is getting a new animated series. A team show!

It will be called Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. Beautiful, right?

Loeb brought scribe Paul Dini up on stage during the Marvel TV panel this morning, and much like he did last year regarding the Ultimate Spider-Man show, he mock put Dini on the spot as if he was asking him right there and then, for the very first time, to take a job on the show. Last year it was Spidey and this time it was Hulk.

Little was revealed about the series aside from the title, the team roster (Green Hulk, Red Hulk, She-Hulk and A-Bomb), and this promo image:
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Transformers: The Movie

Postby TheButcher on Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:46 pm

'Transformers: The Movie' Has The Touch In Today's Sick Day Stash!
Rob Markman wrote:Call them "cult classics." "Guilty pleasures." "Comfort movies." We all have a mental rolodex of flicks that may not be terribly popular but, for one reason or another, they resonate in a very special way. Maybe you saw it at the right moment. Maybe you just see gold where everyone else sees feces. Whatever the case, these are the special favorites that you keep stashed away for sick days. These are some of ours.

Rob Markman wrote:What an amazingly cruel way to leave an impression on a child: take their most invincible hero, put him on the grandest stage possible and murder him before your young eyes. It wasn’t even an hour into the film when he met his demise, but when the closing credits rolled 84 minutes later, reality sunk in: Optimus Prime was dead and “Transformers: The Movie” was the greatest animated experience for ’80’s babies everywhere.

It was the summer of 1986 when the animated-gem was released in theaters and 25 years later the original "Transformers" movie remains the greatest adaptation (sorry Michael Bay). There was nothing that would prepare my six-year old self for what I was about to see. There was, however, a persistent rumor started by some kids in my neighborhood who got their kicks spreading persistent rumors (you know, the same kids who claimed to own a Super Famicon, the highly-coveted Japanese version of Super Nintendo).

Supposedly the Kenmore movie theater in Flatbush, Brooklyn, was giving away free Transformers toys to all kids who made the first showing, and not just any toy: the planet-eating Unicron (voiced by Orson Welles). So, I begged my 16-year old brother who never took me anywhere to take me to the theater on Church avenue, just blocks away from our home.

We made our way into the Kenmore; there were no action figures, but I wasn’t too disappointed. I only half-believed the rumor anyway (I was six, but I wasn’t a moron). Seeing my favorite television cartoon characters on the big screen was thrilling enough. It started off fine: the Autobots were enjoying life in peaceful Autobot City on Earth, and of course the Decepticons were plotting. The good guys always won; this was normal.

This time though, things were different. The Autobots were taking a serious ass-kicking: Ratchet, Ironhide, Wheeljack, Prowl were all murdered. "It’ll be okay," I thought. "Optimus will save the day." During his fateful battle scene with Megatron, Stan Bush’ “The Touch” even played in the background, and everyone knows that’s like the most heroic song ever recorded in life. It’ll be okay.

Boy, was I wrong. Three laser blasts to the chest would be all it took to shatter all that my young mind believed in. It was during that 1986 summer that I would learn, bad things could happen to good people — or robots.

“One day an Autobot shall rise from our ranks and use the power of the Matrix to light our darkest hour,” Optimus said from his death bed as he removed his robot-like heart from his chest. “Until the day ‘til all are one.” Then his body turned from a bright red, to a dull blue and finally a deathly grey.

I dropped a tear — screw it, the truth is, I cried. Right there in the Kenmore, I cried. It’s one of those moments that my older brother still teases me about to this day. But I’m not ashamed. I still get choked up every time I fire up the Blu-ray player to watch the greatest animated movie of all-time.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Studio Ghibli

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:07 am

Producer: Miyazaki's Newest Is Not For Everyone to Relax & Watch
In an interview that the Japanese website Hollywood Channel posted on Sunday, Studio Ghibli producer Toshio Suzuki revealed that studio co-founder Hayao Miyazaki's next work is "not the sort of work that everyone in the audience can relax and watch."

Suzuki explained Miyazaki's intent for his new work, "It's not because of the [March 11 earthquake and tsunami] disaster, since he already predicted the current state of Japan during the planning stages [of his next work]. So, there was a desire to create something realistic." Suzuki was not able to say much more about the new work from the Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away director before its official unveiling.

Suzuki spoke with Hollywood Channel mainly about the DVD release of TOHO's classic Jirochō Sangokushi film series about historical yakuza. Suzuki had already said in August that Miyazaki's new work is an "autobiography." However, Suzuki's vague phrasing in Japanese did not indicate if the work is Miyazaki's own autobiography, or an adaptation of another person's autobiography.

Last week, Ghibli had listed staff positions for the next animation feature film from Ghibli's other co-founding director, Isao Takahata (Grave of the Fireflies, Only Yesterday). According to the job listing, the film is "slated to be completed in Summer of 2013." Suzuki had hinted in 2009 that Takahata was working on a project based on the classic Japanese folktale Taketori Monogatari (The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter) in the style of the classical Japanese scroll Chōjū-jinbutsu-giga.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: TRANSFORMERS: THE JAPANESE COLLECTION

Postby TheButcher on Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:24 am

From SciFi Japan:
TRANSFORMERS: THE JAPANESE COLLECTION on DVD January 10th

Transformers: The Japanese Collection with Bonus Lithograph!

Early happy New Year 2012! Fans and collectors can finally bring home TRANSFORMERS: THE JAPANESE COLLECTION DVD box set from Shout! Factory, in collaboration with Hasbro. This is the rare Japanese trilogy that followed the popular "Generation 1" animated series. Available for the first time in North America, this 13-DVD box set is fully loaded with over 42 hours of entertainment, including all episodes that originally aired from the three Japanese series — Headmasters, Super-God Masterforce and Victory — each with their original Japanese audio tracks, English subtitles, and an art gallery. Pre-order begins now!

TRANSFORMERS: THE JAPANESE COLLECTION – Headmasters -- Optimus Prime lives again, the energy of the Matrix has been released and peace reigns on Cybertron . . . but all that is about to change with the startling arrival of the newest breed of TRANSFORMERS warriors.

TRANSFORMERS: THE JAPANESE COLLECTION – Super-God Masterforce -- Following their victory over the DESTRONS (a/k/a DECEPTICONS) at the end of Headmasters, the CYBERTRONS (AUTOBOTS) depart Earth, leaving behind only a small group to protect the planet from any future menace. But when the powerful DESTRONS return to an unsuspecting planet, the CYBERTRONS must come out of hiding to defend their human friends once again — only this time they’ll be unable to do it on their own!

TRANSFORMERS: THE JAPANESE COLLECTION – Victory -- Victory is the third and final installment of this Japanese trilogy— introduces four new factions to the TRANSFORMERS universe. Each group comes equipped with its own unique power and the ability to combine to form much larger, more powerful TRANSFORMERS, making each and every battle even more epic!

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Wolf Children Rain and Snow

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:52 am

Hosoda nurtures 'Wolf Children' - Previous pic 'Summer Wars' earned $22 mil
Mark Schilling wrote:Mamoru Hosoda, helmer of hit toon "Summer Wars," which earned $22 million at the Japanese box office in 2009, has unveiled his latest project.

"Okami kodomo no ame to yuki" (The Wolf Children Rain and Snow) is a fantasy focusing on two tykes born to a human mother and a wolf-man father.

Project reunites Hosoda with his "Summer Wars" scripter Satoko Okudera, character designer Yoshiyuki Sadamoto and exec producer Seiji Okuda, of the NTV TV network. Okuda has also produced pics by toon maestro Hayao Miyazaki.

Toho is skedded to release "Okami" in July.

"Summer Wars," a fantasy about teen gamers who thwart a rogue program that threatens to paralyze the digital world, scooped a Japan Academy Award for animation, among many other honors, and screened at the Berlin Film Festival.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Mobile Suit Gundam

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:45 am

From Hero Complex:
‘Summer Wars,’ ‘Fullmetal Alchemist’ lead Top 10 of 2011 anime
Charles Solomon wrote:In addition, three reissues warrant mentioning:

1. “Mobile Suit Gundam: Complete Collection 1: Anime Legends”:
Yoshiyuki Tomino’s landmark “Mobile Suit Gundam” (1979) revolutionized the mecha genre and launched a continuity that’s lasted for more than 30 years. It’s the classic giant robot saga, with pitched battles (under water, on land and in space) that cheerfully defy the laws of gravity and physics. Although this initial adventure has an old-fashioned feel, it remains a landmark series; this reissue includes the original Japanese dialogue for the first time. (Read more)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Robotech

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:46 am

From Hero Complex:
‘Summer Wars,’ ‘Fullmetal Alchemist’ lead Top 10 of 2011 anime
Charles Solomon wrote:In addition, three reissues warrant mentioning:
3. “Robotech: The Complete Series”:
“Robotech” (1985) is an anomaly: an anime series that never existed in Japan. Carl Macek and the crew at Harmony Gold edited together three similar-looking series to form a sprawling 85-episode space opera with a completely new plot. “Robotech” helped to create an audience for anime in America, and the toys, role-playing games, novelizations and frequent reissues have kept it alive in the hearts of its fans.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:09 am

NONE OF YOU CAN HANDEL IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:13 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Al Shut on Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:21 am

Scott Green wrote:Given Hosoda's track record of producing narratively coherent and interesting, visually astonishing works, this should be a fantastic animated feature, worth looking forward to.

Really says it all.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Re: Robotech / Macross

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:26 am

From io9:
Bring Back Robotech: Why the Macross saga deserves another shot
Jen Heddle wrote:Robotech rocked our worlds in the 1980s with its complicated characters and dense mythology. But where's our Robotech movie? Why can't we see Rick Hunter and Lisa Hayes on the big screen? Veteran book editor Jen Heddle makes a passionate case for why we need more Robotech now.

Jen Heddle wrote:The 1980s are back—for better or worse. Movies like Footloose, 21 Jump Street, Transformers. New Voltron and Thundercats animated series. Racks at Forever 21 filled with clothing styles that didn't look good the first time around. And as a bit of a t-shirt junkie, I'm particularly grateful for the retro '80s love that can be found on many, many t-shirts available for purchase online. I admit to having a particular weakness for anything related to Jem and the Holograms.

But one of my absolute favorite pop culture touchstones from the 80s isn't getting the representation it deserves, in fashion or fiction: Robotech. Tobey Maguire did option the property a while back, but there haven't been any developments from that quarter in years, so I'm not holding my breath.

If you're deprived enough not to know what I'm talking about, Robotech was a Japanese animated series that aired weekday mornings (at least in the New York area) in the mid-1980s. It was composed of three series that originally aired as completely different shows in Japan, but which a company called Harmony Gold USA, led by Carl Macek, cobbled together into one more or less unified series under the Robotech heading. Although all three series enjoyed popularity, the first series, "The Macross Saga," or the First Robotech War (known as "The Super Dimension Fortress Macross" in Japan) was the most iconic and arguably the most beloved. In my case, it was an obsession.

Bring Back Robotech: Why the Macross saga deserves another shotThe Macross Saga kicks off in 2009 on Macross Island in the South Pacific, ten years after an alien spaceship crash-landed on Earth and was re-fitted by humans to take into space. Except wouldn't you know it, the very morning of the ship's scheduled launch, the aliens, called the Zentraedi, show up to take their ship back. Don't you hate it when that happens?

When the ship, the SDF-1, executes its first hyperspace jump, not only is there a malfunction with the "fold" system — instead of emerging near the moon, they jump closer to Pluto, meaning a year-long trip back to Earth — but the entire island of Macross is folded along with the ship. Luckily, the SDF-1 is large enough that most of Macross City, along with its residents, can be transplanted into the bowels of the ship itself. (Just...go with it.) This conveniently gives the military characters a civilian background to play against, and an important target to protect.

The tensions between the humans and the Zentraedi are not just martial, but cultural as well. The Zentraedi are clones with no concept of human emotion, and the males and females are strictly separated by gender. The humans' greatest weapons against these giant aliens turn out to be music and love (or, more crudely, sex).

Robotech boasted a cast of characters who were more complex, and adult, than one was used to seeing on American cartoons in the 1980s. My favorite character, Lisa Hayes, is second-in-command on the flagship of the fleet, is brilliant at her job, has an awesome best friend...and completely loses all of her confidence where the man she loves, Rick Hunter, is concerned. It's the one area where she constantly second-guesses herself. And I love her for it. Maybe I'm supposed to be outraged that she isn't a strong woman all the time—in other words, a caricature—but that flaw makes her an interesting and relatable character for me.

Bring Back Robotech: Why the Macross saga deserves another shotBy the same token, the hero of the piece, Rick Hunter, can be a self-absorbed jerk at times—which is realistic, considering he's a cocky 19-year old when the story opens, and is then catapulted into the middle of an interstellar war. Rick is a civilian trick pilot when he's swept up in the fold that transports all of Macross, and due to his flying skills finds himself in high demand as a military pilot. Suddenly this young, arrogant civilian is being looked to, even by the military itself, as a savior of humanity—whether he wants to be or not.

Lisa and Rick are surrounded by a varied supporting cast, including a gruff but paternal Russian captain, an annoying Chinese teen pop star (and her pacifist yet belligerent cousin), a humble ace pilot with blue hair and eyeglasses, the green-haired alien pilot he marries, and a megalomaniacal alien villain who chews the scenery at every turn.
These memorable characters are painted against a backdrop of epic destruction and relentless war—war that actually has consequences, which was revolutionary for an animated series in America at that time. The emotional touchstone of the series comes in the eighteenth episode, when lead pilot Roy Fokker, Rick's best friend, his "big brother," dies as the result of a dogfight. In a world where GI Joe could fire a thousand bullets without ever showing a dead body, Roy's death was shocking and resonant.

Bring Back Robotech: Why the Macross saga deserves another shotBut my gushing about the characters shouldn't take anything away from the story, which is a ridiculous amount of fun. Giant aliens, fighter ships that transform into giant robots, epic space battles, the apocalyptic destruction of Earth, and aliens who are grossed out by kissing. Not to mention a beauty pageant, a kung fu movie, courtship via video game play, and a trio of hopelessly inept alien spies.

It all plays out in serial fashion —20 years before Lost— over the course of just 36 episodes, providing viewers a complete story with a bittersweet ending. That also means it's not too much of a time commitment on Netflix streaming.

If everything old is new again, then maybe it's time to bring Robotech back out into the light where it belongs. And featured on some kitschy t-shirts already, please.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Robotech / Macross

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:05 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: John Carter of Mars

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:14 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Studio Ghibli

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:47 am

From BC:
Two New Ghibli Projects Appear On The Radar – One Samurai Film, One From Evangelion’s Hideaki Anno
Brendon Connelly wrote:The most recent releases from Studio Ghibli have been Goro Miyazaki‘s Up on Poppy Hill, back at home in Japan, and Arietty, here in the UK and, just about now, in the US.

Miyazaki the younger seems to be already at work on his next project. Anime News Network are, a little belatedly, relating news from a Japanese TV special:
[He] is planning a samurai period work that combines fact and fiction… set in the northeastern Tohoku region of Japan during the Middle Ages.

Okay, Ghibli do Samurai. That’s got inherent appeal.

Their other newly revealed project is somewhat more mysterious, but has appeal of its own – it will see Evangelion director Hideaki Anno collaborating with the studio for the first time since he was an animator on 1988′s Grave of the Fireflies.

According to a now-deleted entry on the Tokyo Anime Fair website, Ghibli have employed Anno to curate a museum exhibit regarding the history of Japanese special effects. At the same time, a Ghibli blog post on their own museum has referred to a seemingly related film project. As per Anime News Network:
“Director A” and “Director H” attended a meeting about an exhibition that “Director A” is supervising for the Museum of Contemporary Art in Tokyo this summer. A major highlight of the exhibition will be a new film work specifically made for the event. Nishioka did not specify the length of the work or whether it is live-action or animated.

Work continues on the studio’s other films, all of which are still shrouded in mystery. I’ve got my peepers peeled, however, and once the information comes, I’ll pass it along.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:35 am

Studio Ghibli?
Samurai?

YES PLEASE! :shock:
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: King Kong

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:45 pm

From Collider:
Shawn Levy Talks Animated KING KONG Re-Imagining KONG, THE DEVIL YOU KNOW, and FANCY NANCY with Tina Fey
Adam Chitwood wrote:One of the more interesting projects on Levy’s development slate is a film called Kong. As Levy explains it, the pic is an animated re-imagining of King Kong:
“It’s an animated movie for Fox Animation and it’s a retelling of Kong as a family animated comedy… It’s in script stage; so no it’s not yet at the point where you’re doing those animation tests. It’s moving forward in that Fox Animation really likes it, I really like it, I think that when Fox Animation gets it right, almost always through Blue Sky, they get it really right. I’ve got a couple with them, and that’s the one that I think I’m the most bullish on.”

While it certainly sounds like Kong is a ways off, especially given how long it takes to actually animate a film of that scale, an animated take on King Kong is definitely an ambitious task. I’m interested to see who’s handling the script and what kind of revisions are being made to the story in order to make it family friendly. Nevertheless, Kong is one to keep an eye on.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS 2

Postby TheButcher on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:56 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:01 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: 'Mass Effect' Anime Movie

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:16 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Man of Action

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:32 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: 'Mass Effect: Paragon Lost'

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:34 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:51 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: DRAGON AGE: Dawn of the Seeker

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:25 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Paddington Bear

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 11, 2012 11:12 pm

From Deadline:
Disney, Hasbro, Viacom, Haim Saban, and Entertainment One are expected to be among the bidders when debt-ridden childrens entertainment firm Chorion sells off its assets. Included will be rights to Noddy, Mr. Men, Paddington Bear, the estate of writer Raymond Chandler, and the Agatha Christie franchise. Private equity firm 3i owns a majority stake in Chorion but the three biggest lenders — Bank of Ireland, GE Capital and Lloyds — have pushed for the business to be broken up and sold after recent attempts to renegotiate its debt failed. ”There is no rush, no time pressure,” an insider today told The Guardian.

From Variety:
Heyman, Studiocanal set Paddington pic - CGI live-action pic to be helmed by Paul King
John Hopewell & Diana Lodderhose wrote:PARIS Studiocanal is teaming with "Harry Potter" producer David Heyman on "Paddington Bear," a CGI live-action movie of Michael Bond's best-selling children's books.

Brit helmer Paul King, BAFTA-nommed for British TV comedy series "Come Fly With Me" and "The Mighty Boosh," will direct. Studiocanal will finance and distribute in the U.K., France and Germany, and handle world sales elsewhere in a now tried-and-tested practice with its production partners.

"Paddington" is one of Studiocanal's most ambitious projects to date.

Drawing inspiration from the book series first published in 1958, the currently untitled movie is described as a modern take on Paddington, a talking, accident-prone young bear from Darkest Peru who's found at Paddington Station and adopted by a London family.

Paddington books have sold more than 35 million copies in 40 languages.

A Heyman passion project, a Paddington movie was first set up at Warner Bros. in 2007.

Heyman said, "Paddington Bear is a universally loved character, treasured for his optimism, his sense of fair play and his perfect manners -- and of course for his unintentional talent for comic chaos.

"Michael Bond's books offer such wit and wonder, and I am so delighted at this chance to bring Paddington to the big screen."

Studiocanal chairman-CEO Olivier Courson, added, "David Heyman has had tremendous success adapting great British literary works for cinema."

For Studiocanal, Paddington is a major step-up in its drive into family entertainment. It bought Ben Stassen's Brussels-based nWave 3D studio in 2010 and saw great success with the Stassen-helmed toon "Sammy's Adventures," which grossed $75 million worldwide.

Joann Sfar and "Rango" producer John Carls are working on English-language 3D toon feature "Little Vampire" for Studiocanal. Another toon, "Ernest and Celestine," will play Cannes' Directors' Fortnight.

According to Courson, few family features hit the indie market. In March, he described British family comedies with universal appeal as a production priority for Studiocanal.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: ParaNorman

Postby TheButcher on Mon May 14, 2012 9:51 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:49 pm

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Spider-Man Cartoons

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:38 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Raggedy Ann and Andy Reboot

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:30 am

From Variety:
Bigscreen plan for Raggedy Ann and Andy - Gotham Group, Elmo puppeteer to produce film
Dave McNary wrote:The classic Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls are heading for the bigscreen as a musical comedy via a producing partnership between The Gotham Group and puppeteer Kevin Clash.

Project aims to take the dolls -- created by Johnny Gruelle for his daughter Marcella -- into a contemporary, live-action setting with celebrity cameos accompanying them on their journey. Pic will blend puppetry and CG to bring the characters to life.

Ellen Goldsmith-Vein and Eric Robinson are producing for Gotham Group.

Story, based on the classic storybook "Raggedy Ann and Andy and the Camel With Wrinkled Knees," centers on the dolls being lost in a modern-day city and possibly having to save a stolen friend from the clutches of a scheming enemy.

Greulle created the characters in a series of books he wrote and illustrated for young children and center on a pair of rag dolls with red yarn for hair. Raggedy Ann was created in 1915 as a doll and introduced in the 1918 book "Raggedy Ann Stories." Raggedy Andy was introduced two years later as her brother, dressed in sailor suit and hat.

The dolls were first featured on the bigscreen in 1941's animated 17-minute film "Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy" and on TV in 1978 in "Raggedy Ann and Andy in The Great Santa Claus Caper."

Clash's characters include Elmo, Baby Sinclair, Clifford, Splinter and Hoots the Owl. He wrote an autobiography titled "My Life as a Furry Red Monster: What Being Elmo Has Taught Me About Life, Love and Laughing Out Loud" in 2006 and was the subject of Constance Marks' 2011 documentary "Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey."

Gotham Group's feature producing credits include "Abduction" and "The Spiderwick Chronicles." It is teamed with 1stAveMachine on developing sci-fi feature "Prosthesis" for Universal, with Arvind Palep directing.

Clash is repped by WME.

buster00 wrote:
TheButcher wrote:ASIFA-Hollywood had a special screening and panel discussion to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Richard Williams’ "Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure" on 11/17/07.
If that title is unfamiliar to you ... Well, there's a good reason for that. It's been more than a decade since this Richard Williams film was last available for purchase. On VHS no less. And to my knowledge, because of some copyright-related problem, "Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure" has never officially been transferred over to DVD. And evidently this same copyright-related issue is currently preventing this 84-minute-long movie from being broadcast on television.

I remember being shown a Raggedy Ann cartoon in grade school, so I had to look this up to see if it was the same one.

Turns out I was thinking of The Pumpkin Who Couldn’t Smile, not this one.

But look what I found out on Wikipedia:

(Creator Johnny Gruelle's daughter) Marcella died at age 13 after being vaccinated at school for smallpox without her parents' consent. Authorities blamed a heart defect, but her parents blamed the vaccination. Gruelle became an opponent of vaccination, and the Raggedy Ann doll was used as a symbol by the anti-vaccination movement.

I hope Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure follows this anti-vaccination plotline.

"And that, boys and girls, is how smallpox was eliminated not through vaccinations, but through the healing light of Jesus Christ."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Animation