Random Animation (Come forward into Dementia-Five!!)

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Re: SHORT PEACE

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:48 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Mike Tyson Mysteries

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:41 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: ACME Warehouse from Warner Bros. Animation

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:40 pm

Acme 'Looney Tunes' Movie Finds New Momentum with 'X-Men: First Class' Writers (Exclusive)
But wait, there's more: 'Crazy Stupid Love' directors also are in talks to board
Borys Kit & Alex Ben Block wrote:X-Men: First Class scribes Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz are going a little looney, and directors Glenn Ficarra and John Requa may soon join them.

The power writing duo has been hired to write the untitled Acme movie project being developed by Warner Bros. At the same time, Ficarra and Requa, who directed Crazy Stupid Love for the studio, are in early negotiations to direct the project, which has its roots in Warners' classic Looney Tunes cartoons.

Steve Carell, who toplined Crazy Stupid Love, is attached to star in the project, which is being produced by Dan Lin and Roy Lee. The latter two were behind the mega-successful and franchise-launching The Lego Movie, and the studio and producers are envisioning the Acme project as an event movie that will also launch a franchise.

Plot details are being kept under an anvil, but the Acme Corporation is a fictional manufacturer of crazy and sometimes dangerous products (that also tend to malfunction at the most inopportune times) that are used by many a Looney Tunes character. The company's products are most commonly used by Wile E. Coyote in his never-ending quest to capture the Road Runner.

The movie, however, would not center on the Looney Tunes characters and is being planned as a CG/live-action hybrid.

The project has been in development since 2010 when Kevin and Dan Hageman sold an original pitch.

Chantal Nong and Jon Gonda are overseeing for the studio.

Miller and Stentz continue to be among the hottest writing teams in town, and earlier in the summer were tapped to pen the Power Rangers movie for Lionsgate. The pair have screenwriting credit on Marvel’s Thor and are working on a Terminator TV series. They are repped by WME and Principato-Young Entertainment.

Ficarra and Requa (CAA, McKuin Frankel) recently wrapped Focus, with Will Smith and Margot Robbie, for Warners, which will release the heist movie Feb. 27, 2015.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Charles "Chuck" Jones

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:55 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Random Animation (Come forward into Dementia-Five!!)

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:16 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:46 pm

Behold The Test Footage For The Guardians Of The Galaxy Animated Series
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Spider-Man: The Animated Series

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:15 pm

The stars are celebrating the iconic show's 20th anniversary
'Spider-Man: The Animated Series' Cast Reunites and Reveals New Project
Ribbons wrote:Image
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:00 am

Sylvester Stallone, Danny DeVito, Ian McKellen Lead ‘Animal Crackers’ Voice Cast
Scott Christian Sava will co-write and co-direct the animated feature film for Blue Dream Studios
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Knights of Sidonia

Postby TheButcher on Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:03 am

Tsutomu Nihei's Blame Manga Gets Animated in Knights of Sidonia
2nd Knights of Sidonia season to premiere next April with new director
The January issue of Kodansha's Monthly Afternoon magazine is announcing on Tuesday that Tsutomu Nihei's Blame! manga will be animated within Sidonia no Kishi: Dai-kyū Wakusei Seneki (Knights of Sidonia: War of the Ninth Planet), the second Knights of Sidonia anime season. The second Knights of Sidonia season will premiere next April in the Animeism programming block, and the character Tsumugi will "appear at last." Hiroyuki Seshita, the assistant director of the first season, is replacing Kobun Shizuno as the director of the second season at POLYGON PICTURES, and Sadayuki Murai is returning to be in charge of the series scripts.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:49 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:35 pm

New trailer for Pixar's Inside Out:

I actually found the family dynamics kind of depressing! But the interplay between the characters and the emotions in their heads looks insanely elaborate. I definitely want to see how it plays out at feature length.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:54 pm

Ribbons wrote:New trailer for Pixar's Inside Out:

I actually found the family dynamics kind of depressing! But the interplay between the characters and the emotions in their heads looks insanely elaborate. I definitely want to see how it plays out at feature length.

I'm willing to be that kind of dinner conversation is pretty damned normal (and one I am NOT looking forward to). Looks pretty fun, but like you said, not sure if seeing this go on for over an hour would be too much.
and the Brazilian helicopter pilot bit was stupid. Being a kids-oriented movie, I'm guessing we won't get what's really going thru dad's mind the majority of the day wink-wink-no what I mean-say no more say no more.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: Looney Tunes

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:51 am

Daffy Duck Crazy Laugh Supercut
This supercut of Daffy Duck looniness is a masterclass in how to combine animation and audio to build a great cartoon personality.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

“The Flintstones”

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:52 am

Gallery: The Organic Architecture of “The Flintstones”
The designer of the prehistoric Flintstones universe was a man named Ed Benedict (1912-2006), the same man who designed the show’s characters.
Last edited by TheButcher on Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Looney Tunes

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:53 am

FRIDAY JULY 27, 2012: 72 Years Ago Today: Bugs Bunny Was Born
AMID AMIDI wrote:Seventy-two years ago today – on July 27th, 1940 – Bugs Bunny appeared in Tex Avery’s A Wild Hare. The Warner Bros. short is widely considered to be the first definitive Bugs Bunny cartoon, in which the character’s appearance, personality and voice gelled as a whole. It’s also the first time Bugs, voiced by the inimitable Mel Blanc, uttered his famous catchphrase, “What’s up, doc?”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:02 am

TheButcher wrote:Sylvester Stallone, Danny DeVito, Ian McKellen Lead ‘Animal Crackers’ Voice Cast
Scott Christian Sava will co-write and co-direct the animated feature film for Blue Dream Studios

Berlin: Kaley Cuoco, John Krasinski Join Voice Cast for Animated ‘Animal Crackers’
Dave McNary wrote:The film is about a family whose life is turned upside down when they inherit a rundown circus and a mysterious box of Animal Crackers, which magically change the person who eats them into an animal. Scott Christian Sava is co-directing with Tony Bancroft (“Mulan”) from a script he co-wrote with Dean Lorey.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

SpongeBob2

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:14 am

Review: 'Sponge Out Of Water' is frantic, funny, and exhausting
SpongeBob does his post-modern best to save the Crabby Patty recipe... in 3D!
Moriarty wrote:Cartoons got weird.

I remember when it began happening, and I'd argue one of the major touchstones for modern animation in all forms is John Kricfalusi's "Ren & Stimpy." When that show hadn't gone on the air yet, tapes of it were circulation in the animation community in LA, and I remember talking to a great animator named Eddie Fitzgerald about the show. He was positively evangelical. He said that the show was going to change the way animation looked and the sort of animation that would get produced. He had already decided that he was going to quit what he was doing at the time specifically so he could go work for Spumco. He was a true believer, and he wasn't the only animator who sounded that way when talking about that show.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: SpongeBob1

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:54 pm

SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS: THE MOVIE review
It is simply - one of the most gosh gee-whiz fun flicks I've seen in a long time. It's funny, weird, oddly subversive and just LOVE-ME lovable. Everything about it was new to me.

Moriarty's DVD Shelf! Gangsters, Kids Stuff, Unreleased Movies, Pauly Shore And Lily Chou-Chou!!
Moriarty wrote:I’ve never seen an episode of Nickelodeon’s enormously popular SPONGEBOB show, so color me stunned by this, my first exposure to it. The Goofy Goober Theme Song is now officially stuck in my head, and I am just starting to realize that each and every kid who loves this show is... well... insane.

The full magnitude of the influence of John Kricfalusi on modern kid’s animation is impossible to calculate, but what makes certain shows work is that they aren’t aping his style... they’re refining it and adding to it with something original. There’s an innocent playfulness to the adventures of Spongebob Squarepants and his starfish friend Patrick that is as appealing as REN & STIMPY was ugly. In a lot of ways, the sensibility here reminds me of the best of PEE WEE’S PLAYHOUSE. This is one seriously silly movie about a stolen crown and angry plankton and bubble-blowing babies and free ice cream that isn’t, Peanut Party underpants, Jeffrey Tambor’s baldness, mind control buckets, Instant Manhood, live-action pirates, and, yes, David Hasslehoff. Director/creator Stephen Hillenburg has just the right sensibility for this sort of stuff, and it’s a charmingly loony film. If you’re a fan of crazy ‘80s metal videos, you’ll love the film’s climax, and keep your eyes peeled for the most improbable STUNT ROCK reference of all time. I really can’t imagine what a child would make of all of this, except pure unbridled pleasure. Of course this is a phenomenon. Why wouldn’t it be?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: SpongeBob2

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:10 pm

‘SpongeBob’s $53M Pair Of Pants; ‘Jupiter’ & ‘Son’ Descending – Late Night B.O. Update
Anthony D'Alessandro wrote:UPDATE, EARLY SATURDAY 1:45 AM: Insiders this weekend have nicknamed it the battle of the fanboy bombs, as both Warner Bros.’ Wachowski siblings’ “Cinderella in Space” VFX mashup Jupiter Ascending and Universal’s Legendary release Seventh Son are drowning under the weight of Paramount’s The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water. After a super $14.3M in Friday industry estimates, SpongeBob is now expected to post a $53.1M weekend; a whopping 66% increase over his $32M big-screen bow in November 2004. Should SpongeBob stay on track, he’ll own the second-highest opening for an animated film in February behind last year’s The LEGO Movie ($69.1M) and the fifth highest FSS for the month.

The Spongebob Movie Director Paul Tibbitt Talks Live-Action And That 50 Shades of Grey Parody Poster
Andrew Steinbeiser wrote:The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out Of Water makes a jump from traditional 2D animation to a live-action and CGI animation hybrid. Why did you decided to steer the franchise in that direction?

[Screenplay Writer] Steve Hillenburg and I both studied animation at the California Institute of Arts, so we’re very traditional. We’ve been doing this show in the traditional form for a very long time now, so when the opportunity to do another movie came up, we just felt like, "well, it’s 2015 and computers have come a long way." I’ve recently watched films that have really impressed me with the CGI. I was impressed with films like Frozen, where a lot of the scenes almost looked like Cinderella. It almost looked like cell animation, and I was blown away by that.

So we thought, “Let’s give it a try.” We engaged a few companies to give us tests, and the company that we went with, Ellora, got it right away. They made us feel really comfortable about the idea. Initially, we were really nervous. We thought, if we build this third act in the movie on CGI, and it ends up looking weird or strange, that could hurt us. But it ended up being the most fun part of the movie—not that the other part wasn’t fun. It was basically like two movies. It was all new to us, so it was really exciting.

Cool. So how much of the movie is spent in the live-action world?

It’s really just the last part of the third act. It’s kind of the climax of the movie. It’s a little bit similar to the first movie, in that way, where they have to go on land and fix things and confront the villain. We were still interested in doing a large portion of the film in the traditional way. We even tried doing things that we don’t have the time or budget to do with the TV show's 2D animation. So, we tried pushing it that so the whole product would reward viewers with something different from what was on TV. That was the main reason for really doing all of it. We wanted people to feel like they got their money’s worth, and that we made a movie.

What was it like switching from traditional animation and CGI? What was the experience like?

Like anything else, you get into it and think, “Oh, my god, this is a completely different animal from what I’m used to being around.” But once you start doing it, you realize, “Oh, it’s not all that different.” It’s all the same techniques, but applied in a different way. It’s like switching pencils, I guess. We still need to follow the basic rules of animation, it’s just how you get from Point A to Point B that’s a little different. Once we realized that and settled into it, we breathed a sigh of relief and realized that it was going to work. It’s all animation; it’s all the same. We were able to really connect with the guys at Ellora because they’re all fans of the show. They were eager to keep it true to what we wanted and what we’d done over the last several years.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Untitled Kung Fu Space Western

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:43 am

Get Ready For the Next Big Animated Film: Untitled Kung Fu Space Western

Reel FX Makes Multi-Picture Pact With ‘Book Of Life’ Helmer Jorge R. Gutierrez
Mike Fleming Jr wrote:EXCLUSIVE:
Reel FX Animation Studios, the company behind The Book Of Life, has made a long term deal with that film’s writer/director Jorge R. Gutierrez. The first animated picture under the new deal will be an untitled Kung Fu Space Western. Gutierrez will direct from a script he’s writing with Douglas Langdale. Reel FX’s Brad Booker will produce with Gutierrez and Chatrone LLC. Sandra Equihua has been set to oversee the character design. Gutierrez has moved to Dallas to work on the project out of Reel FX’s studio.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Michael Cedeno

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:57 am

Frederator:
Mike Cedeno's one of the premiere Disney animator's, a refugee from the stunning CalArts class of 1976, along with John Lasseter, Brad Bird, and John Musker.

The Game of X by Robert Sheckley
The Game of X was loosely adapted as the 1981 Disney film, Condorman: Sheckley also wrote the novelization of this film.

Say "gesundheit" to the spy who came in from the cold & get set for the intrigue novel to end all.

"Combines ironic wit with suspense to remarkable effect."--John Le Carre

Here is a spy-tangled novel of undercover misadventure that goes from Paris to Venice by ways of intrigue that 007 never dreamed of--with semi-professional killers, submissive subversives & a swinging Mata Hari from Hunter College. This is upmanship espionage at its funniest--& all in The Game of X
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: THE PEANUTS MOVIE!!

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:36 pm

New Character ‘Banners’ For THE PEANUTS MOVIE!!
merrick wrote:Via Yahoo come some new character ‘banners’ for THE PEANUTS MOVIE, opening theatrically November 6.

The project is helmed by Steve Martino, a director on HORTON HEARS A WHO and ICE AGE: CONTINENTAL DRIFT, It’s scripted by Craig Schulz (son of PEANUTS creator Charles M. Schulz), Bryan Schulz (presumably a Schulz of some sort - although I can’t find any information regarding how he’s related) and Cornelius Uliano. Cornelius Uliano...is a super-cool name.

talkbacks:
Sexual Tyrannosaurus wrote:They asked Woodstock if he wanted a poster.

I believe he told them to, and I quote:

(;",',,,"",,";'''',;";')

Michael Ponte wrote:The animation on this looks pretty cool. True to Schultz' designs with modern animation. I am optimistic.

Commander_Salamander wrote:Optimistic?? Whoa, whoa, whoa - we'll have none of that here!

Supermeerkat wrote:I agree - we'll have no cautious optimism round here. There should be loud yelling about childhood being raped. LOUD. YELLING.

Thomas Plante wrote:Here in Ain't It Cool News, everything is expected to suck. You MUST emphatically state that this movie looks like shit and that you will never see it while talking about it nonstop. That's part of the code of the Internet.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: THE PEANUTS MOVIE!!

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:04 pm

10 Animators to Watch: Nick Bruno
Terry Flores wrote:Right now, Bruno is working for “Peanuts,” and he couldn’t be happier.

A supervising animator on Blue Sky’s “The Peanuts Movie,” due out in November, Bruno is bringing Charles Schulz’s beloved characters to a new generation. And he’s not unaware of the pressure.

“It’s the first project that, when we got it, my dad called with an opinion on how not to screw it up,” he says.

It makes sense that Bruno is working on a movie about a bunch of kids, since keeping his childlike sensibility alive is very important to him. “It’s always been important to me to not let that 8-year-old version of me die,” he says. “It’s the thing that sparks everything I do. If I’m trying to be funny, I want to make that 8-year-old version of me laugh; if I’m trying to be heartfelt, I want to move that 8-year-old me.”

Bruno’s inner kid had varied influences, from Gary Larson’s “The Far Side” cartoons, to the Muppets, Looney Tunes, “Ren & Stimpy” and movies by John Hughes. “If you mix all that into one big melting pot, you get one weird kid,” he jokes.

He pretty much always knew what he wanted to do. “In my sixth-grade yearbook it says, ‘When I grow up, I will be …’ and next to my name it said animator or baseball player,” he recalls. “At the time, it seemed more realistic to become a baseball player, because animation was, and still is, to me, like joining a circus. How the hell do you join a circus? But you know it exists and people are in it.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:05 pm

10 Animators to Watch: Dylan Brown
Charles Solomon wrote:During the 18 years he spent at Pixar, Brown was a top animator on “Toy Story 2,” “Finding Nemo” and “Ratatouille.” He also ran Pixar’s short-lived branch studio in Vancouver. Now at Paramount, he will co-direct the newly established Paramount Animation’s first all-CG feature animated film.

“I seem to be drawn toward — or fall into — the beginnings of studios,” Brown chuckles. “I started at Pixar in 1995. I grew up there professionally, then went up to Vancouver to start a new studio. I spent a year thinking about … the things that create the right kind of culture, where people can be truly creative and enjoy coming to work. Coming here was like joining another start-up.”

When Michael Eisner and Jeffrey Katzenberg came to Disney from Paramount in 1984, neither executive had any experience making animated films. They quickly learned just how different animation production is from live action. Brown has been applying his experience at Pixar to helping the personnel at Paramount scale a similar learning curve.

“Paramount is a 102-year-old live-action studio that hasn’t dabbled in animation recently beyond distribution,” he says. “It’s refreshing that it’s not locked into any kind of historical track or way of doing things. But because it doesn’t have any tried-and-true methods, there are some hard roads to navigate (when it comes to) helping people who only know how live action films are made understand how animation works.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:00 am

Otaku USA 10/27/2014:
Hideaki Anno’s Khara and Dwango Launch Animator Expo
New anime shorts to stream every week

Otaku USA 3/5/2015:
Hideaki Anno’s Animator Expo Set For A Second Season
Evangelion studio goes in for a second round of shorts
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Nimona

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:11 pm

Fox Animation Nabs 'Nimona' Adaptation With 'Feast' Director (Exclusive)
Studio exec-turned-screenwriter Marc Haimes is attached to pen the script for the project.

Borys Kit wrote:In a competitive situation, Fox Animation has landed the rights to Nimona, the New York Times best-selling graphic novel by Noelle Stevenson, for an adaptation to be directed by Patrick Osborne, the helmer behind the Oscar-winning animated short Feast.

A mashup of genres, Nimona is set in a medieval future where knights go to night clubs riding hoverboards and carrying swords and tells of a young shape-shifter who teams up with a disgraced knight in order to reclaim his honor and overthrow a corrupt regime.
Last edited by TheButcher on Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:21 pm

TheButcher wrote:Studio exec-turned-screenwriter Marc Haimes is attached to pen the script for the project.

A mashup of genres, Nimona is set in a medieval future where knights go to night clubs riding hoverboards and carrying swords and tells of a young shape-shifter who teams up with a disgraced knight in order to reclaim his honor and overthrow a corrupt regime.

What the? Okay, come on now: somebody's fucking with us.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: One Bright Dot

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:50 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: One Bright Dot

Postby so sorry on Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:44 am

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: Knights of Sidonia Season Two

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:45 am

Knights of Sidonia - Season 2 - Official Trailer
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Charles "Chuck" Jones

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:09 pm

Chuck Jones - The Evolution of an Artist
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:03 am

Bob Bacon Out As Paramount Production EVP Of Animation; Lee Rosenthal’s Turf Grows
Anthony D'Alessandro wrote:EXCLUSIVE:
An internal restructuring has left Paramount’s EVP of production for animation Bob Bacon out of a job, exiting. He had been at the studio since 2011. Sources said that all physical production, live action and animation, will now come under the auspices of Lee Rosenthal, and as a result, Bacon’s position is being eliminated. This news comes at a time when the studio’s highest grossing film of the year is an animated title: The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out Of Water which made $163M at the domestic B.O. and $311.6M worldwide. The other animated film put into production during Bacon’s reign is Chris Wedge’s Monster Trucks, which in May was pushed back a second time to March 18, 2016. That film, which carries a reported $125M pricetag, was announced as a potential franchise in 2013, with production starting on May 13, 2014. The film was scheduled for this summer, then moved to Christmas before being pulled from the 2015 schedule altogether.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Peanuts

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:19 am

Making of 'The Peanuts Movie': How Blue Sky Studios Won Over the Schulz Family
Craig Schulz, the son of Charles M. Schulz, teamed with Fox and Blue Sky after seeing an example of what the studio could do eight years ago.
Rebecca Ford wrote:The first seed for The Peanuts Movie, which debuted to a strong $44.3 million debut this past weekend, was unknowingly planted seven years ago with a little CG reel that will never see the light of day.

John Cohen, working for Fox Animation in 2008, reached out to Craig Schulz, the son of Peanuts creator Charles M. Schulz, about making an animated feature film based on the Charlie Brown comic strip. Of course, since the iconic cartoonist died in 2000, the family has been flooded with requests for a movie adaptation, but unanimously turned them down, worried that Schulz’s legacy would be affected by a bad movie. Still, Schulz agreed to see the short film Cohen and Blue Sky Studios had made showing CG-animated versions of the iconic characters.

"The [Schulz] family didn’t like it at all," says Schulz with a laugh. "They thought the animation was terrible and Snoopy was all wrong."

But Schulz was impressed with how Blue Sky had designed the backgrounds — the snow, the trees, the clouds and the ice. "I saw how beautiful it could be if they could get the characters right," he says.

Schulz was working on a Peanuts TV movie at the time, but, after showing the script to his son Bryan Schulz and his screenwriting partner Cornelius Uliano, the three decided to write a feature instead. They showed it to the rest of the Schulz estate family, and got their blessing. Then, instead of shopping it around to studios, they went directly to Fox and Blue Sky. They brought the script to director Steve Martino, who had worked on that 2008 CG reel for Blue Sky, and had helmed Dr. Suess’ Horton Hears a Who! that same year.

"I saw how true he was to that brand and thought he could bring that to our movie," says Schulz.

By the time they were ready to present their script (then titled Snoopy vs. The Red Baron), Cohen had left Fox Animation, so the family spent two years negotiating with Fox Animation director of development Ralph Millero, setting up a unique deal that gave creative control to Craig Schulz.

"We felt we really needed somebody to be the gatekeeper on this movie," says Schulz, who produced the film along with his son. “We wanted to be true to my dad’s legacy.”

One of the main issues of negotiation was about staying true to the time and place of Peanuts, which ran from 1950 through 2000. The Schulz family did not want the story modernized — the kids still use rotary telephones and Lucy’s therapy fee continues to be only a nickel.

"We were told that you have to have celebrity voices, you have to have hip-hop music — you have to have this stuff to reach the new generation, but we kept fighting back to say if you have a good story with heart and emotion, people will love it," says Craig Schulz. "And I think that’s been proven."

It did work, with the film doing strong business in its first weekend. But Schulz says there are no plans for a sequel: "We had this one movie," he says. "I'm 62 years old. I thought it would be great if in my lifetime I could see one really good Peanuts movie before somebody decides to buy the brand out and decides to make movies just to make money. For the Schulz family, everything we do is to honor my dad's work and the last thing on our want list is money. It's always about quality control and making the best things we can."

The Peanuts Movie is now in theaters.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Maui on Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:35 pm

Watched The Peanuts movie. I was a bit skeptical at first. The thought of a CGI Peanuts movie sounded more like a horror flick to me but they managed to make this feel like the old school cartoon.

I am a Peanuts enthusiast. I read the comics and saw every TV show and movie. It was of the utmost importance to see if the film captured Schulz beloved comic. It did! I was feeling sorry for Charlie Brown all over again.

It does run a little long in parts. While I love the Snoopy and Red Baron flying scenes, this could have been tightened up a bit.

Good fun.
Maui
WoWie

Re: 500 Days of Peanuts

Postby TheButcher on Sun May 01, 2016 8:11 am

Variety APRIL 28, 2016:
‘Peanuts’ Will Return to U.S. TV on Boomerang
Brian Steinberg wrote:Charlie Brown, Snoopy and the rest of Charles Schulz’ “Peanuts” gang will return to U.S. TV in a series of animated vignettes set to debut on Time Warner’s Boomerang network on May 9.

New episodes will debut each day at 11:30 a.m.

The cartoons come not from the people who devised TV classics like “It’s The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown” or “A Charlie Brown Christmas,” but rather Normaal Animation of France, which is operating under license from Peanuts Worldwide LLC. The cartoons began running overseas in 2014 in advance of the debut of a new movie featuring Sally, Linus, Peppermint Patty and others which surfaced in 2015.

Time Warner’s Turner broadcasting unit will unfurl a sneak peek of “Peanuts” on Cartoon Network the week of May 9 at 10:30 a.m. Eastern/ Individual shorts will roll out on that network’s video app.

The series is billed as using a watercolor art style and textured backgrounds that is aimed at pleasing both classic and new fans.

Use of the series comes as Boomerang works to establish itself as a network for family friendly programming. Once a commercial-free outlet that ran many of the old Hanna-Barbera classics assimilated into the Turner library, the cable network now runs ads and is using vintage characters like Scooby-Doo and Bugs Bunny in new iterations to capture interest from kids and parents.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Studio Ghibli

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 13, 2016 8:31 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Fri May 13, 2016 8:33 pm

Finally, the kid-friendly version of Tales of the Black Freighter we've all been waiting for
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:46 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Diaclone/Transformers/Microman

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:00 am

The strange story of Jetfire, and other Transformers toys
Hasbro's Transformers toys are 30 this year. Ryan looks back at their strange origins, including Jetfire's complicated history...

Transformers Commercials So Old They Weren't Even Called Transformers
Hardcore fans already know this, but Transformers weren't always Transformers.

Micro Heritage
From Henshin Cyborg to the Transformers : The Legacy of Microman 1972-present

Diaclone, One of the Toys That Begat Transformers, Is Making a Comeback
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Robotech / Macross

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:04 pm

Exclusive: Titan Comics Partners With Harmony Gold USA For New ‘Robotech’ Comics
Kieran Shiach wrote:Titan Comics has proved itself one of the premier publishers for licensed comics of late, with properties such as Doctor Who, Dark Souls and Assassin’s Creed. Another much beloved property joins the Titan family early next year as the publisher has partnered with television production company Harmony Gold USA to bring beloved anime Robotech to comics.

Robotech first debuted in 1984, and was originally created with animation from three separate Japanese anime. The combination of three distinct franchises led to Robotech becoming an epic spanning three generations, as brave mech pilots in Veritech fighters battled to defend the Earth from alien invaders who came seeking the mysterious energy source known as Protoculture.

Since the end of the cartoon there have been many efforts to produce sequels or spin-offs, including 2012’s Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles and 2013’s Robotech: Live Love Alive. Last year, James Wan was attached to direct a live action Robotech film from Sony Pictures, but as of April the deal with Sony has yet to be finalized.

Robotech has a long history of comics adaptations going back to 1984, when DC Comics published Robotech Defenders. Since then, the property has turned up at the likes of Comico, Eternity Comics, Wildstorm, and most recently, Dynamite Entertainment, which published a Robotech/Voltron crossover in 2014 by Tommy Yune, Bill Spangler and Elmer Damaso.

The new Robotech series is set to debut early in 2017. Titan is expected to announce the creative team in the coming weeks.

The strange story of Jetfire, and other Transformers toys
Hasbro's Transformers toys are 30 this year. Ryan looks back at their strange origins, including Jetfire's complicated history...
Ryan Lambie wrote:Finally, we come to the Transformer with the strangest history of all. A robot capable of transforming into a fighter jet, he was much larger and more intricately designed than his Decepticon rival, Starscream. Fans of Japanese anime would have immediately spotted why Jetfire looked so different from the other Transformers: he originally appeared as a Super Valkyrie Fighter in the series Super Dimensional Fortress Macross, which first aired in 1982.

Designed by Shoji Kawamori, the Super Valkyrie was one of the most iconic mecha creations of the 1980s, and it's little surprise that the company Takatoku rushed a transforming toy based on it as the series took off. Hasbro clearly recognised how popular the Valkyrie design would be in the west, so they purchased the design from Takatoku, renamed the robot Jetfire, and added it to the Transformers family, alongside a number of other designs from the company, such as the Deluxe Insecticons.

(Interestingly, there's another link between Transformers and Super Dimensional Fortress Macross. Designers Shoji Kawamori and Kazutaka Miyatake, who would later design Macross, had been contracted by Takara to help create the Diaclone toys back in 1980.)

Problems arose when Takatoku went out of business in 1984. Japanese giant Bandai bought up Takatoku, and with a Macross movie renewing interest in the series, Bandai decided it wanted to re-release the Valkyrie toys in Japan. The following year, Macross appeared in America (albeit in modified form) as part of the Harmony Gold series Robotech, which meant that kids across the country would see the Jetfire design in an entirely different context.

The complex issue of who owned the rights to the Valkyrie design in what country led Hasbro to change Jetfire's appearance and name in the comics and television show; according to the Transformers story bible, intended to help the writers on the comics and TV show, "JETFIRE has been "transformed" into SKYFIRE - with a different model - due to legal reasons. Do not use this character unless necessary".

Like the rest of the Transformers, Jetfire (or Skyfire, as he was later known) would change greatly as toy lines came and went and the accompanying story behind them meandered in different directions.

The story behind the Transformers' formative years, then, is an unusually complex one. But ultimately, it boils down to two defining factors: the ingenuity of a varied group of Japanese toy designers, and the cunning of Hasbro, who, in conjunction with Marvel, created an enveloping mythos which is still being told today.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:04 am

Last edited by TheButcher on Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Tsutomu Nihei's Blame! & Knights of Sidonia

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:45 am

ANN:
Knights of Sidonia Co-Director Helms Blame! Anime Film
The official website of the upcoming anime film adaptation of Tsutomu Nihei's Blame! manga revealed on Wednesday that Hiroyuki Seshita (Ajin) will direct the film at POLYGON PICTURES. Seshita previously co-directed the anime adaptation of another Nihei manga, Knights of Sidonia, at POLYGON PICTURES also.

Nihei will handle the film's script and character design. The site notes that the film will "reunite" the staff of the Knights of Sidonia anime.

Nihei, Seshita, and other staff members will attend this year's Comic Con International in San Diego, which runs from Thursday, July 21 to Sunday, July 24. Nihei previously hinted that he may show a sneak peek of the film during the event.

Nihei launched the science-fiction action story Blame! as his first manga series in Kodansha's Monthly Afternoon magazine in 1997, and ended it in 2003. Tokyopop published the 10-volume manga in North America. Kodansha published a new six-volume edition of the manga in Japan last year.

Blame!

ANN 2014-11-19:
1st Knights of Sidonia Season Gets Compilation Film
Director Shizuno compiles all 12 episodes with new sequences, redone sound effects in March
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Re:The Phantom Tollbooth

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:36 am

MICHAEL VUKADINOVICH TO ADAPT “THE PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH” FOR DONALD DE LINE, TRISTAR PICTURES (EXCLUSIVE)
The project, now at Tristar, was previously set up at Warner Bros.
Josh Lyons wrote:The Three Misfortunes of Gepetto scribe Michael Vukadinovich has been tapped to write a fresh take on the beloved children’s classic THE PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH for Tristar Pictures. The book, first published in 1961, was written by Norton Juster and illustrated by Jules Feiffer.

The book tells the story of a bored young boy named Milo who unexpectedly received a magic tollbooth one afternoon and, having nothing better to do, decides to drive through it in his toy car. The tollbooth transports him to a land called the Kingdom of Wisdom, where he acquires two faithful companions, has many adventures, and goes on a quest to rescue the princesses of the kingdom from a castle in the air.

Donald De Line is producing through his De Line Pictures with Ed McDonnell of Maple Shade Films. Nicole Brown is the studio exec for Tristar.

The project has been in development for several years with various producers and only recently moved to Tristar from Warner Bros., where Gary Ross was previously attached to direct a script from Watchmen scribe Alex Tse. It’s no wonder that attempts to adapt the book to the big screen endure, as fans and critics alike favorably compare it to A Wrinkle in Time, Alice in Wonderland, and The Wizard of Oz.

Vukadinovich, who landed on the 2011 Hit List and Black List with his spec The Three Misfortunes of Gepetto and later made his way to the 2014 Young & Hungry List, seems like an appropriate choice to adapt the book. He recently tackled drafts of Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride for Disney and the The Wind and the Willows remake starring Ricky Gervais. He is currently adapting Matthew Quick’s YA novel Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock for Channing Tatum and TWC.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:48 pm

i can't believe this hasn't been adapted yet. i loved that book as a kid, though i can't remember anything about it anymore.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: Re:The Phantom Tollbooth

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:36 pm

TheButcher wrote:MICHAEL VUKADINOVICH TO ADAPT “THE PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH” FOR DONALD DE LINE, TRISTAR PICTURES (EXCLUSIVE)
The project, now at Tristar, was previously set up at Warner Bros.
Josh Lyons wrote:The Three Misfortunes of Gepetto scribe Michael Vukadinovich has been tapped to write a fresh take on the beloved children’s classic THE PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH for Tristar Pictures. The book, first published in 1961, was written by Norton Juster and illustrated by Jules Feiffer.

The book tells the story of a bored young boy named Milo who unexpectedly received a magic tollbooth one afternoon and, having nothing better to do, decides to drive through it in his toy car. The tollbooth transports him to a land called the Kingdom of Wisdom, where he acquires two faithful companions, has many adventures, and goes on a quest to rescue the princesses of the kingdom from a castle in the air.

Donald De Line is producing through his De Line Pictures with Ed McDonnell of Maple Shade Films. Nicole Brown is the studio exec for Tristar.

The project has been in development for several years with various producers and only recently moved to Tristar from Warner Bros., where Gary Ross was previously attached to direct a script from Watchmen scribe Alex Tse. It’s no wonder that attempts to adapt the book to the big screen endure, as fans and critics alike favorably compare it to A Wrinkle in Time, Alice in Wonderland, and The Wizard of Oz.

Vukadinovich, who landed on the 2011 Hit List and Black List with his spec The Three Misfortunes of Gepetto and later made his way to the 2014 Young & Hungry List, seems like an appropriate choice to adapt the book. He recently tackled drafts of Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride for Disney and the The Wind and the Willows remake starring Ricky Gervais. He is currently adapting Matthew Quick’s YA novel Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock for Channing Tatum and TWC.

I'm surprised they don't mention the Chuck Jones version. It is fuct up, by the way. Super weird.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: The Phantom Tollbooth

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:59 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Maui on Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:10 pm

Nifty animated short done by Blizzard Entertainment, makers of the games, Overwatch, WoW, Diablo, etc.....
Fantastic little short with nods to The Iron Giant. :D I thought this was extremely well done.

Maui
WoWie

Re: Young Justice

Postby TheButcher on Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:02 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Chuck Jones & Maurice Noble

Postby TheButcher on Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:56 am

99% Invisible Podcast 07.29.13:
EPISODE 85: Noble Effort
Roman Mars wrote:If you grew up watching Warner Brothers cartoons, you might remember seeing the name Chuck Jones in big letters in the opening credits. Chuck Jones directed cartoons like Looney Tunes from the 1930s until his death in 2002. He was also an animator, and brought the world characters like Elmer Fudd.

Chuck Jones was the creative force behind Bugs Bunny, and Daffy Duck, and Wile E. Coyote. But part of what makes his characters so memorable is the world that they inhabit. Part of what’s so striking about Looney Tunes is that they are recognizable as Looney Tunes even without characters in the foreground.

The backgrounds were revolutionized by one layout artist: Maurice Noble.

AWN November 4, 2013:
The Noble Approach: Maurice Noble and the Zen of Animation Design
Fred Patten reviews the long awaited book showcasing the tremendously rich legacy of Maurice Noble’s background designs.

Cartoon Brew 07/29/2013:
Layout Artist Maurice Noble Didn’t Get Along With Chuck Jones
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Studio Ghibli

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:30 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Animation