Disney's "The Princess and The Frog"

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:17 pm

I'm just happy to see Disney still going with an occasional 2-D animated movie time to time that isn't a cheap direct to dvd sequel.

And anything trying to resemble Miyazaki is a plus.
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby Dr William Weir on Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:11 pm

Consider Hayao Miyazaki was inspired by Disney, it's interesting to see things go full circle.
Dr William Weir
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:19 pm

In case you haven't heard it yet: The original title of the movie was "The Frog Princess", but they changed it because there were scared that French people feel offended. :P
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby LaDracul on Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:30 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:In case you haven't heard it yet: The original title of the movie was "The Frog Princess", but they changed it because there were scared that French people feel offended. :P

I know that as well...seems like people are too oversensitive for their own good these days.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Re: Disney's "The Princess and The Frog"

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:52 am

The teaser trailer is here: /film.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:41 am

TheButcher, you are either The Man with links or a really sophisticated bot... I haven't figured out yet...

Anyway, preview looked okay. I hope that it does well (and is good) because I'd like to see hand-drawn animation make a comeback in the United States.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:51 am

Ribbons wrote:TheButcher, you are either The Man with links or a really sophisticated bot... I haven't figured out yet...

Anyway, preview looked okay. I hope that it does well (and is good) because I'd like to see hand-drawn animation make a comeback in the United States.

I too would like to see some traditional animation sprinkled in from time-to-time.

That being said, man that looked racist! That bug/whatever at the end reminded me of Amos and Andy.

And someone please kill Randy Newman.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:27 am

so sorry wrote:And someone please kill Randy Newman.

Left foot, right foot, left foot, right foot...

His score for Leatherheads was actually pretty good, although they were sort of going for a hokey, ragtime-y feel anyway.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:31 am

Ribbons wrote:
so sorry wrote:And someone please kill Randy Newman.

Left foot, right foot, left foot, right foot...

Chews it once,twice,three times, four times, stops!

Ribbons wrote:His score for Leatherheads was actually pretty good, although they were sort of going for a hokey, ragtime-y feel anyway.

Didn't see Leatherheads, but I can tell you that Newman's voice takes me right out of the picture, and I can't stop thinking about his irritating voice.

No thoughts on the Uncle Tom bug?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:50 pm

Well, that bug is definitely offensive, but I'm not sure it's an Uncle Tom. Judging by his appearance I think he's probably supposed to be white/cajun.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby BuckyO'harre on Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:16 pm

Offensive my foot.

That bug is the ghost of this guy.
*video not safe for minstrel & spiffy squirrel girl*
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:34 pm

From MTV: BREAKING: Oprah Winfrey Joins Voice Cast Of ‘The Princess and the Frog’
The syndicated talk show host, philanthropist, and Academy Award nominated actress has signed on to voice a character in Disney’s upcoming “The Princess and the Frog,” company officer John Lassseter revealed this morning at a Hollywood conference. She will play Eudora, the mother of the titular New Orleans princess, Tiana.

According to Wikipedia, Angela Bassett was originally rumored to be slated for the role.

Written and directed by “Little Mermaid” and “Aladdin” helmers Ron Clements and John Musker, “The Princess and the Frog” is Disney’s long awaited return to 2D cel animation in the style of the company’s early films. It will feature a Broadway style score by longtime Pixar collaborator Randy Newman.

Set in New Orleans during the Jazz Age, the film is doubly notable, of course, for featuring Disney’s first ever Black Princess.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby buster00 on Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:29 pm

Oprah's Audience Sez:

"MUST...SEE...PRINCESS AND THE FROG....MUST...SEE...PRINCESS AND THE FROG..."
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Evil Hobbit on Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:20 pm

buster00 wrote:Honestly, Oprah or no, I'm curious to see how this turns out. It actually sounds pretty good, IMO.

/ watched Disney's Hercules again over the weekend
// still liked it

Hercules, one of the underrated Menken Disney's, I bet they gonna put it on Broadway as well.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby underscore on Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:27 pm

I've seen the production art for this film and it looks incredible. The colour palette is so rich. And the locations are tremendously detailed. It reminds me a lot of The Rescuers, but not as bleak.
underscore
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Ribbons on Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:37 pm

The Rescuers! There's a blast from my past...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Evil Hobbit on Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:44 am

I used to watch Rescuers down Under over and over again as a kid. Loved every minute of it. Specially the opening credits. That was so much adrenaline. And the flying segment. And the villain was such a bad ass. Didn't saw the original till years later. The down under flying segment, great animation! Love the music!
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Trailer news

Postby BuckyO'harre on Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:58 pm

Trailer coming in May

First, there will be no Toy Story 3 trailer in May... yes, I know. A bit disappointing isn't it? But the good news is that there will be a trailer that comes with(but not attached) "Up" on May 29th. That's when the full trailer for "The Princess and the Frog" will debut. At least in theaters. The Mouse may put it up online before that, but the plan as of now it to put it in front of the Senior Citizen Action Adventure film.

See, the thinking right now is that the trailer for each new animated feature will be the trailer for for the next animated feature. WDAS and Pixar are both Disney now. Remember how the trailer for Up ran before Bolt last fall? So P and F will run before Up and should all go according to plan, when we see Disney's latest hand drawn animated feature during the holidays, you may see a trailer for Woody and Buzz.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Trailer

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sun May 10, 2009 1:57 am

BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Sun May 10, 2009 3:27 pm

It's good to see there is still some love for 2D hand drawn animation out there.

I'm a huge fan of the old Disney stuff: The Aristocats, 101 Dalmations, Lady and the Tramp.

We have John Lasseter to thank for this.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:59 pm

The Princess and the Animator featurette.
Maui
WoWie

Postby BuckyO'harre on Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:46 am

BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:26 am

It looks good. I hate Randy Newman, though. Ab-so-lute-ly hate him.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby so sorry on Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:19 pm

RogueScribner wrote:It looks good. I hate Randy Newman, though. Ab-so-lute-ly hate him.

Thanks for taking that Randy Newman bullet for me. I ain't going near this thing now!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:22 pm

RogueScribner wrote:It looks good. I hate Randy Newman, though. Ab-so-lute-ly hate him.

"And that's Randy Newman, he sings about what he sees..."

"Red headed lady, reaches for an apple..."

One of the better FAMILY GUY moments.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:37 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:

"And that's Randy Newman, he sings about what he sees..."

"Red headed lady, reaches for an apple..."

One of the better FAMILY GUY moments.

Left foot right foot left foot right foot ad infinitum!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:49 pm

studly man with his kids and dog,
Strolled in through the morning fog...

I'm not a fan of Randy Newman's Disney songs either, although he did turn in a pretty good recent score for Leatherheads, so you never know
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:51 pm

Ribbons wrote:studly man with his kids and dog,
Strolled in through the morning fog...

I'm not a fan of Randy Newman's Disney songs either, although he did turn in a pretty good recent score for Leatherheads, so you never know

Hey there Rover,
come on over...

He scored Leatherheads? Interesting. Was that film any good? I had meant to see it, but ended up side-tracked and never came back to it.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:53 pm

Yeah, I actually liked it, although that might have just been because I expected it to suck based on the reviews. It's not great or anything, but I don't think you'd regret watching it.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:54 pm

Ribbons wrote:Yeah, I actually liked it, although that might have just been because I expected it to suck based on the reviews. It's not great or anything, but I don't think you'd regret watching it.

Thinking back, I believe it was the presence of Renee Zellwenger that held me back. She is in it right? I can't stand her. But I really dig Clooney as a director. Hm. Will have to ponder this.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:05 pm

They couldn't get Alan Menken to score this? He's produced some of the best 2-D animated scores ever.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby BuckyO'harre on Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:21 am

BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:57 pm

TIME magazine named this as the Best Film of '09. Interestingly, #2 was UP and #3 was FF Mr. Fox. For those paying attention, that means the top 3 films of the year were animated films.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:54 am

Loved this movie! Easily up there with the Golden age that was the early 90's.. It has all the charms of a classic Disney film with just the right amount of modern touch.

Yeah, it feels a bit on the nose of racism, but its a period film..and if you bitch about it not being PC for that time...go fuck your self! Why? cause you're missing the point of this awesome Disney film.

The Shadow man is EASILY my new favorite Disney Villain!

Just so many wonderful things in this film...in that animation fashion that only Disney can do. Kudos to everyone involved and kudos to Lasseter for bringing back 2D animation
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Maui on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:42 pm

bastard_robo wrote:Loved this movie! Easily up there with the Golden age that was the early 90's.. It has all the charms of a classic Disney film with just the right amount of modern touch.

Just so many wonderful things in this film...in that animation fashion that only Disney can do. Kudos to everyone involved and kudos to Lasseter for bringing back 2D animation

#1 at the box office this weekend, $25m.

It's a wonderful film which I absolutely loved. Bruno Campos was just excellent as Prince Naveen from the land of Maldonia. :lol:

I'd still have to go with Maleficent as my favourite Disney villain but the Shadow man and his voodoo friends are quite impressive. Fantastic film and a great comeback for Disney's 2D animation. Well done!

I'm certainly looking forward to their next 2D, The Snow Queen.
Maui
WoWie

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:07 pm

Maui wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:Loved this movie! Easily up there with the Golden age that was the early 90's.. It has all the charms of a classic Disney film with just the right amount of modern touch.

#1 at the box office this weekend, $25m.

It's a wonderful film which I absolutely loved. Bruno Campos was just excellent as Prince Naveen from the land of Maldonia. :lol:

I'd still have to go with Maleficent as my favourite Disney villain but the Shadow man and his voodoo friends are quite impressive. Fantastic film and a great comeback for Disney's 2D animation. Well done!

I'm certainly looking forward to their next 2D, The Snow Queen.

Its always a good day when Maui chimes in on animation! :D
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:49 am

From Showbiz 411:
‘Princess and the Frog’ May Be Last Tune for Disney
Roger Friedman wrote:Is the singing over at Disney?

Think of Jiminy Cricket warbling “When You Wish Upon A Star.” Or Angela Lansbury and her friends toasting “Be Our Guest” from “Beauty and the Beast.”

Well, those days may be a thing of the past. I am told that Disney Animation has put the kibosh on Alan Menken’s planned “The Snow Queen,” from the directors of “Tarzan.”

The reason? “The Princess and the Frog” was a disappointment, insiders say. Even though it was nominated for an Oscar and got pretty good reviews, “P & F” is considered a bust in Toon Town.

According to sources, several things hurt the movie. Not the least of which was the word “Princess” in the title. “It scared off the little boys. Only girls wanted to see it,” says an observer. Without boys, “P & F” was more “Little Mermaid” than “Aladdin.” Even the Randy Newman score wasn’t enough to entice fans of movies like “Transformers” or even “Cars.” (What happened, I often ask, to the Randy Newman who wrote “Sail Away” and “Baltimore”? Remember “Nilsson Sings Newman”?)

With “P & F” taking in just over $100 million domestically, and just about breaking even, Disney animation insiders have more or less decreed ‘no more musicals’ for the foreseeable future. “Snow Queen” isn’t the only animated film to get scratched, but it’s the most visible project since it was more or less announced last fall.

Adding to the Disney drama will be the release — we hope — of “Waking Sleeping Beauty.” A documentary about Disney’s glorious run of animated hits from 1984-1999, and how Pixar changed the drawing game, was shown at film festivals last fall. Screenings begin March 15 at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. If “Snow Queen” is really dead, “WSB” will seem all the more poignant.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:05 am

Well that sucks.

And I haven't seen TP&TF yet, but I want to. It took me three months just to see Avatar and Up in the Air. I just don't make it out to movies as much as I used to.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:30 am

The wife and I caught TPATF at the dollar theater. The presentation wasn't the best, and there were some noisy kids running around the whole time, but I still enjoyed myself. The movie wasn't as good as I was hoping it'd be, however. It seemed like it wanted to be The Little Mermaid a little too much and the 2nd act dragged in parts. And save for one bit, the ending was entirely predictable. With the exception of one or two songs, the musical numbers were largely forgettable. The villain wasn't as scary as he should have been. I think the script needed another pass or two to tighten the story up and real punch up the emotional beats. As it stands now, it's all okay. It's worth a watch, but I don't know if I'll bother to see it again.

I was really hoping this movie would hit big so Disney can get back to their bread and butter, but the box office was only okay so now The Snow Queen is canceled. It's not computer animation that sells tickets; it's good stories and memorable characters. TPATF via computer would still be a bit disappointing and probably would not have made any more money. I don't think enough effort was put into the story and the music. Jeffrey Katzenberg was instrumental in reviving the Disney brand because he treated the animated features just like any other feature. Story was king and they aimed to entertain everyone, not just kids. TPATF is pretty much a kids movie. It's good for what it is, I guess, but I share my sister's sentiment: it was not a return to glory for Disney animation.

Oh well.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:08 pm

For those of you who don't read my movie journal (Can't blame you.):
    #00062 The Princess & The Frog (DVD/1st Viewing)
Another positive surprise, although i didn't like it nearly as much as "Cloudy". The trailers made it look like a desperate try to earn some money with the same old formula that worked great in the early 90's, but became worn out and tired in the late 90's. And the idea of havin a black Disney Princess seemed to be nothing but a lame attempt of political correctess. But to my own surprise they not just variied the formula enough to make it entertaining (Vern's blues/slasher movie analogy comes to my mind), even the choice of the protagonist's ethnicity was more inspired than expected. (Although of course Racism doesn't exist in Disney's version of 1920's America and the only comparable conflict is lower Vs. upper class. And even that one happens in only one scene.). To see a Disney movie that takes place in a somehow real world, where the "princess" is a normal girl, who has to work her normal ass off to live her normal life and fulfill her dream, which is NOT finding Mr Right, was a huge surprise and worked great. And while I loathed the thought of the return of the animated musical, they also varied this formula enough to not give us some sappy ballads, but energetic Jazz songs instead. Okay, as soon as Tiara is turned into a frog too, the film gets more conventional but even then they have some nice surprises. Maybe the biggest one is that one of the typical comic relief sidekicks gets murdered (!!!) in such a cold blooded way, that it would make Don Bluth get a boner. Okay, unfortunately the death of this character leads to a pretty corny and predicatble good bye scene, but you must be a stone cold bastard if you don't have at least one single tear in your eye. But as much as they tried to tweak the formula and surprise us from time to time, there is one thing that I just don't get: I can understand that Naveen (prince turned frog) falls in love with Tiara (hard working girl heroine who becomes a frog too), because she is smart, charming and has a good heart. I just don't get why Tiara falls in love with Naveen! Yes, he is not the douchebag that he seems to be at first, but even if she learns to know him a little bit better during the frog adventure, he just gets a little bit nicer and less douchy. Nothing to fall in love with head over heels as she does. But whatever. I should mention that the villain ruled! Not just because he is such a cold blooded bastard, but also the gimmick with his shadow is so damn cool executed. But my favourite character might be Tiara's best friend, because she made me smile almost whenever she was on screen. She seems like a parody of Paris Hilton and other spoiled rich brats of our time, but with the difference that despite her constant "DADDY!! BUY ME THIS! BUY ME THAT! I WANT. I WANT, I WANT!", she has a good heart and would never do anything to hurt her friends. Anyway, while "The Princess & The Frog" is a well made Disney musical with some original twists and surprises, it didn't won me over complete. Because after all, it was just the same old formula, that became such a tired cliche that people don't even make fun of it anymore. But it's enjoyble nonetheless.
7,5/10
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:29 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:56 pm

Good news. Keep the Disney animated tradition alive!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby so sorry on Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:18 am

RogueScribner wrote:Good news. Keep the Disney animated tradition alive!

Couldn't agree more. It may take more time than digital, shit it might even cost more, but its an art form that should not be lost!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Return to Animation