Nyocker!

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Nyocker!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:42 am

aka The District! (English page w/trailer - if you speak Magyar, I guess you can browse the actual homepage).

Google-icious Trailer

Step 1: Invent Time Machine
Step 2: Go back to Prehistoric Times
Step 3: Kill as many Mammoths as possible and bury the corpses under the district
Step 4: Back to present, drill oil wells
Step 5: Get into the world Oil Market and make Billions

Reviews - Matt Zoller Seitz / Kurt @ Twitch / Noel @ AV Club

I kinda liked it...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:50 am

1) Eastern European animation is BACK!
2) This looks insanely brilliant!
3) Although I'm in no position to ask for a review, I'm gonna ask anyway: care to review it?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:03 am

The images look cool as hell - kinda reminds me of the rotoscoping effect. I can't watch the videos rigth now - how does it look in motion?
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:12 am

That does look brilliant.

Looks like a blend of Appleseed (the new version) and GTA 2.

It looks genius. I would certainly make time for this programme.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:26 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:The images look cool as hell - kinda reminds me of the rotoscoping effect. I can't watch the videos rigth now - how does it look in motion?

Cell-shading over simple 3D models... adds a nice charm that fits nicely with the humorous atmosphere (judging by the trailer of course). A lot of it looks like it was done on the cheap, but the package looks really good nonetheless.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:46 am

I watched this over the weekend. Spearheaded by KC's nudge.

I gave it a 7.5 on my movie journal. I think a lot of the specific jokes went over my head not being from Hungary.

KCBC forgot to mentioned the film also features rap battles, west side story style gang showdowns, and and many other reference points jammed into it's short runtime.

The film is not anything revolutionary besides the awesome animation, but you'll have a fun time watching it.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:22 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:1) Eastern European animation is BACK!
2) This looks insanely brilliant!

Meh... it's a no "Worker anna Parasite," eh?

:wink:
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:26 pm

This movie will be to Worker and Parasite what Fantasia was to Steamboat Willie, MARK MY WORDS!!!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Seppuku on Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:29 pm

In the absence of Kirk, I'll be the one to say it:

How d'you like them nyockers, man!!!

The trailer's not working for me at the moment, so I've only been able to see a weird rap video on YouTube. Going on that, it looks like it'll be one of the most annoying movies ever made... However, I take it that this movie isn't just an hour and a half of 2d cut-outs bouncing up and down in time to Eastern European hip hop. Right?
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:00 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:3) Although I'm in no position to ask for a review, I'm gonna ask anyway: care to review it?

you are both the Founder and Administrator...only if you were kneeling in front of me sucking the smegma off my foreskin could you possibly be in a better position.

while, yes, my humor runs to swine like Pig Bodine, in the context of the movie, where our main gyppo homie Riski Lakatos has an epiphany while staring between a pile of shit and a used condom, my unrefined juvenile "humor" is apropos...here.

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:how does it look in motion?

I'm no expert in describing the animation process, but as far as I could reckon it combines rotoscoping, 3-D and 2-D and cel-shading...while I can't remember where I read it or if I remember it from the "making of" on the DVD, the makers took 300+ pictures of various facial gestures and tics of the individual "actors", and rotoscoped(?) those to simulate character emotions.

That worked, and worked rather well.

The problems I had with the admittedly very charming, joie de animation vivre, lo-fi, DIY on the fly, mucho affordable style* were the discernible lack of life in the characters eyes and the distraction of the constantly morphing facial gestures - mileage may vary on the latter, though to catch everything spoken/rapped/sung and simultaneously absorb the visuals I imagine would require at least two viewings. The eye thang, while never a deal breaker and admittedly possibly just a quibble of a nit pick on my part, threw me a tad, so accustomed to wide-eyed round eyes and the careful attention paid to peepers, especially as it relates to conveying characters emotional states and expressions in most animation I've ever enjoyed.

But the style, such as it is, was adroitly matched by the outlandish puerile content, so in the sense of style matching story, it succeeds admirably.

*supposedly just over $500,000k - i imagine that goes a longer way in Hungary than in the U.S, but with our $$ dropping like it's hot, who knows? Despite a few scenes that just plain looked like cheap Flash graphics, there's a good amount of visual splendor.

stereosforgeeks wrote:KCBC forgot to mentioned the film also features rap battles, west side story style gang showdowns, and and many other reference points jammed into it's short runtime.

I didn't forget, I just neglected to!

Glad they dropped the Romeo & Juliet/West Side Story obviousness that the pic seemed destined to homage/rip-off, instead playing up the gyppo vs. poor white trash (Hungarian version) Catholic conflict. Essentially a screed pointing out the wastefulness (in terms of REVOLUTION, brother!) of poor folks fighting with other poor folks over capitalistic scraps, the denizens of the urban ghetto that is the titular District is refreshingly, if patently stereotypically, multi-cultural…so, yeah, the Arab kid gets a nuke from Osama, the glasses clad nerd invents the time machine, the dumb brute gyypo has a heart of gold, and so on.
The blunt force trauma satirical jibes were welcome if blatantly obvious*...as subtle as an alarm clock whose timer is set to cock punch, but the brazen callousness of it's Capitalist Swine!, Bush as warmongering boob, Tony Blair as lackey in Vader helmet kept me grinning throughout.

stereosforgeeks wrote:The film is not anything revolutionary besides the awesome animation, but you'll have a fun time watching it.

I dunno, I gave it ♥♥1/2 out of ♥♥♥♥, recommended for animation lovers, outre/cult film aficionados, drug users and those looking for something distinct and singularly unique.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:16 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:The film is not anything revolutionary besides the awesome animation, but you'll have a fun time watching it.

I dunno, I gave it ♥♥1/2 out of ♥♥♥♥, recommended for animation lovers, outre/cult film aficionados, drug users and those looking for something distinct and singularly unique.

The film is obvious to a point of being a brick to the head and normally this would piss me off, but somehow it didn't. Nyocker really never takes itself seriously or aspires to anything more than it's brand of juvenile humor and culture clash scenario. Honestly I think you could do a lot worse on a lazy saturday afternoon than watching this movie.

Maybe my expectations weren't as high?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:26 pm

Awesome responses Keepcool + stereos!!! I gather you watched this on DVD? I think it's out in Europe as well, I'll see if I can't find it somehow.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:35 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Awesome responses Keepcool + stereos!!! I gather you watched this on DVD? I think it's out in Europe as well, I'll see if I can't find it somehow.

It was out on dvd as of November I think.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:48 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote: Nyocker really never takes itself seriously or aspires to anything more than it's brand of juvenile humor and culture clash scenario.

well, true, but one of the refreshing things about the film was that there was a distinct lack of wink-wink-nudge-nudge knowing irony to the proceedings.

the ending, where things fell apart for both our main protagonist and the Nyocker itself, felt earned, and while there were a lot of outlandish bits throughout, Nyocker! wasn't just done for a larf...

I didn't mean to criticize your rating sfg, just that when recommending an unknown film to others, I don't want to get their hopes up, lest they view my rec as (more) pointless blathering from a drug addled loony. (relatively unknown- I searched, and found no mentions of it in the Zone...which of course could mean that whoever had seen wasn't moved enough by the film to talk about it.)

Pacino, I would think it should be out on DVD in Europe, as the Hungarian premier was in late 2004. There might have been some rights issues (someone sports a Britney t-shirt, and I'm sure there are other pop-cultural lifts my non Magyar speaking heathen self didn't grok) that kept it from coming out sooner...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:04 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:I didn't mean to criticize your rating sfg, just that when recommending an unknown film to others, I don't want to get their hopes up, lest they view my rec as (more) pointless blathering from a drug addled loony. (relatively unknown- I searched, and found no mentions of it in the Zone...which of course could mean that whoever had seen wasn't moved enough by the film to talk about it.)

I didn't think you were criticizing my rating. I was just trying to further the discussion ;)
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Return to Animation