Avatar: The Last Airbender (Now w/ 100% Less Cameron!)

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:56 am

Well, currently I'm enjoying the third and final (well, maybe...) season on Avatar: The Last Airbender. Does anyone else enjoy this Nick kids goodness? Am I all alone in this passion?
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:19 am

If any of you arnt up to date on your cartoons, then one must peep this out

Several of my friends have for the last few years been trying to get me to watch this show. Bout a month ago, I finally broke down and watched the first season.

I was shocked and amazed by how good this show is

For those in the dark, heres the basic run down.

Avatar: The Last Airbender takes place in a fantasy world, home to humans, fantastic animals, and supernatural spirits. Human civilization is divided into four nations—the Water Tribes, the Earth Kingdom, the Air Nomads, and the Fire Nation. Within each nation exists an order called "Benders" who have the ability to manipulate their native element. These Bending arts combine a certain style of martial arts and elemental mysticism. The Bending types are Waterbending, Earthbending, Firebending, and Airbending. [10]

In each generation, one person is capable of Bending all four elements; this is the Avatar, the spirit of the planet manifested in human form. When the current Avatar dies, they are reincarnated into a baby native in the next of the four nations in the Avatar Cycle, which parallels the seasons: winter for water, spring for earth, summer for fire, and autumn for air. [11] While legend holds that the Avatar must master the elements in order, starting with their native element, this can sometimes be compromised when the situation requires it. Learning to bend the element opposite one's native element is extremely difficult because opposing Bending arts are based on opposing fighting styles and doctrines. Firebending and Waterbending are opposites, as are Earthbending and Airbending. [12]

The Avatar possesses a unique power that resides within them, called the Avatar State. It is a defense mechanism that empowers the Avatar with the skills and knowledge of all the past Avatars. When the state is reached, the current Avatar will be able to wield the combined power of all past lives. When the Avatar enters this state, their eyes and mouth, and tattoos in the case of an Airbender, begin to glow. The glow is the representation of the energy of all the Avatar's previous incarnations focused through the current Avatar's body. However, if the Avatar is killed in the Avatar State, then the reincarnation cycle will be broken, and the Avatar cycle will end.[13]

Through the ages, countless incarnations of the Avatar have served to keep the four nations in harmony and maintain world order. [10] The Avatar also serves as the bridge between the physical world and the Spirit World, home of the world's disembodied spirits. [14]

A century prior to the series' opening, Aang, a 12-year-old Airbender of the Air Nomads' Southern Air Temple, learned from the elder monks that he was the Avatar. Usually, the Avatar is told of his or her true identity after turning sixteen; however, the monks feared that a war between the four nations was on the horizon and that soon the Avatar would be required to maintain balance and order in the world. Shortly thereafter, the monks decreed that Aang would be separated from his guardian, Monk Gyatso, and sent to the Eastern Air Temple to complete his training.

Confused, frightened, and overwhelmed by these recent events and his new responsibilities as the Avatar, Aang fled from his home on his flying bison, Appa. While traveling over frigid southern ocean waters, a sudden storm caused Appa to plunge deep into the sea. Aang unconsciously entered the Avatar State, and used a combination of Airbending and Waterbending to protect Appa and himself. By creating an air bubble around them and then freezing it, Aang was able to ensure that he and Appa could breathe and be protected from the storm until it dissipated. However, the storm transferred the bubble very near the south pole and it could not thaw, forcing the two of them into a state of suspended animation. [11]

The series opens one hundred years later, with the Fire Nation on the brink of victory in its imperialist war. All of the Air Nomads are believed to have been destroyed. The Water Tribes are in crisis — the Southern Water Tribe's warriors have left to wage war, leaving their home defenseless, while the Northern Water Tribe, though largely intact, is continually on the defensive. [15] The vast Earth Kingdom is now the only true barrier to the Fire Nation's conquest, but as the Fire Nation continues to encroach on its borders and conquer its territories, hopes of victory grow bleaker with each passing year.

Two teenage siblings from the Southern Water Tribe — Katara, an inexperienced Waterbender, and her brother, Sokka, a warrior and caretaker of the tribe — discover and free Aang and Appa from the iceberg. Aang soon discovers to his horror that, during his absence, a century-long war has been waged. The very year he vanished, Fire Lord Sozin took advantage of both the Avatar's absence and the Firebending-enhancing powers of a passing comet (later named "Sozin's Comet" in his honor) to launch a war on the other nations. [16] To Aang's shock and disbelief, the Fire Nation's opening gambit had been a genocidal assault on the Air Nomads. The Air Temples were stormed and the Airbenders slaughtered in the Fire Nation's effort to break the Avatar Cycle, leaving Aang as the last known Airbender in existence. [11]

As the Avatar, Aang's duty is to restore harmony and peace to the four nations. Along with his newly discovered friends Katara and Sokka, his flying bison Appa and his winged lemur Momo, and later the blind Earthbender Toph, Aang travels the world to master all four elements. During his quest, he must constantly avoid being captured by the banished Prince Zuko and, later, Zuko's cleverly deceptive and fiery sister, Princess Azula.

Although normally years of disciplined training are required to master a single Bending art, Aang must be a master of all four and defeat Fire Lord Ozai by summer's end, when the return of Sozin's Comet will give the Firebenders the power to win the war. If these events come to pass, not even the Avatar will possess the ability to restore balance to the world. [16]

For a Nickelodeon show, (a net work I've been in dispise of since they dumped Invader Zim) this is some heavy material

The plot and charecters are really fleshed out and well devleoped. Its on a kids network, but its not meandering and demaning to the audiance. People die, charecters grow, shit gose down!

The show has a very anime-esq look to it but it works perfectly for the tone.

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby papalazeru on Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:54 am

So long as I'm not subjected to adverts day in, day out, for McDonalds Happy-fucking-meal toys for the show, I'm game for a laugh.

Thanx BR
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:30 am

bastard_robo wrote:For a Nickelodeon show, (a net work I've been in dispise of since they dumped Invader Zim) this is some heavy material

The plot and charecters are really fleshed out and well devleoped. Its on a kids network, but its not meandering and demaning to the audiance. People die, charecters grow, shit gose down!

It is a great show isn't it. I've been saying that for ages... a great mix of east and western animation and storytelling. It actually reminds me a bit of the Lost Cities of Gold.

But there is another thread for this I'm afraid. In fact, you made it... :D
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:42 am

bastard_robo wrote: I know that theres one for the M. Night movie thats in the works, but not one for the show.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Peven on Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:18 am

just wanted to chime in that this show really is quite good. Monkey and BR have done an excellent job pointing out why already

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:50 am

Anime thumbs up for you my friend...

MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:23 pm

MonkeyM666 wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:For a Nickelodeon show, (a net work I've been in dispise of since they dumped Invader Zim) this is some heavy material

It is a great show isn't it. I've been saying that for ages... a great mix of east and western animation and storytelling. It actually reminds me a bit of the Lost Cities of Gold.

But there is another thread for this I'm afraid. In fact, you made it... :D

HOLY CRAP! FORGOT ABOUT THAT ONE...
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby papalazeru on Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:46 pm

Any one can PM good links to this stuff..

I mean, *ahem* 'legitimate' stuff.

*Ahem*

Sorry, I have a cough. Must be coming down with a cold.

Bit*ahemhurrrr*torrent.

Sorry, just getting over a cold.

papalazeru

Postby papalazeru on Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:28 pm

Ok. I'm finally watching this.

First Ep looks a bit kiddy orientated (Jackie Chan cartoon)

But I hold out hope...I'm a big fan of Skyland, which is on TV. It's looks fab but it's a bit kiddie.

Oh Monkey...Don't let me down with this one.

I know you wont/.

papalazeru

Postby papalazeru on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:09 pm

Update:

I'm loving Uppa. A hidden gem of a character.

papalazeru

Postby Maui on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:20 pm

Yeah this is a good show. Comes on Nick, Friday nights I think.

I don't watch it regularly, but I should.
Maui
WoWie

Postby papalazeru on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:32 pm

From what I've seen, it's worth it.

So far, it's still a kids show but theres intelligence behind it. I'm thinking all is not what it seems at the moment, which makes me love it more, Maui.

papalazeru

Postby Maui on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:34 pm

papalazeru wrote:From what I've seen, it's worth it.

So far, it's still a kids show but theres intelligence behind it. I'm thinking all is not what it seems at the moment, which makes me love it more, Maui.

There's some humour there too! Atleast I thought so.
Maui
WoWie

Postby papalazeru on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:37 pm

Maui wrote:
papalazeru wrote:From what I've seen, it's worth it.

I didn't mean that as a negative comment, more like, there's more than meets the eye.

There is some good comedy moments and it's highly entertaining. I'm glad I was swayed into wathcing this.

papalazeru

Postby Maui on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:47 pm

papalazeru wrote:
Maui wrote:
pap alazeru wrote:From what I've seen, it's worth it.

I didn't mean that as a negative comment, more like, there's more than meets the eye.

There is some good comedy moments and it's highly entertaining. I'm glad I was swayed into wathcing this.

No, I didn't take it that way at all. Besides I watch alot of cartoons. Is there a Spongebob thread?
Maui
WoWie

Postby papalazeru on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:53 pm

Maui wrote:
papalazeru wrote:
Mau i wrote:
pap alazeru wrote:From what I've seen, it's worth it.

No, I didn't take it that way at all. Besides I watch alot of cartoons. Is there a Spongebob thread?

Oh my god! How great was the movie!!!!

HassleHoff: You did good Hasslehoff. You did g....[flambéd]
Hasslehoff: Ow!

or

After the ridiculously big sing along about Spongebob and Patrick travelling together through the unbelievably hideous disgusting creatures.

[With the nbelievably hideous disgusting creatures all happy with Spongebobs song]
Spongebob: Wow Patrick, we've made it through the hideous disgusting creatures.
hideous disgusting creatures: [Sad face] Awwwww.
[Creatures walk away depressed]

So funny.

papalazeru

Postby Maui on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:56 pm

papalazeru wrote:
Maui wrote:No, I didn't take it that way at all. Besides I watch alot of cartoons. Is there a Spongebob thread?

Oh my god! How great was the movie!!!!

HassleHoff: You did good Hasslehoff. You did g....[flambéd]
Hasslehoff: Ow!

or

After the ridiculously big sing along about Spongebob and Patrick travelling together through the unbelievably hideous disgusting creatures.

[With the nbelievably hideous disgusting creatures all happy with Spongebobs song]
Spongebob: Wow Patrick, we've made it through the hideous disgusting creatures.
hideous disgusting creatures: [Sad face] Awwwww.
[Creatures walk away depressed]

So funny.

Yes, I own the movie. I also am proud to say I watched the very first episode of Spongebob and have been a fan ever since. FYI, 5 new Spongebob episodes this week. Mon-Fri.
Maui
WoWie

Postby papalazeru on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:58 pm

hahaha!

I wasn't a fan, then my Ms. showed me the movie and couldn't stop laughing.

papalazeru

Postby Maui on Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:01 pm

I think Peven is also up on his Spongebob as well.

*Back to Avatar*
Maui
WoWie

Postby papalazeru on Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:14 pm

Oh my God.

Episode 12 of the first series. One of the guy who plays one of avatars teachers in air bending.....It's Lo Pan from Big Trouble....Jame Hong.

Unbelievable.

Well. Hardly considering, but still.

papalazeru

Postby Al Shut on Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:12 am

I absolutely love the strange animal hybrids. Turtle-ducks, bat-cats, sabretooth-elks and whatnot.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:49 am

Glad that you're liking it pappa. It only gets better IMHO. I just stared watching S3 again and loving every minute of it.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:54 am

It's like DBZ without the repeated animation.
:lol:

papalazeru

Postby bastard_robo on Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:00 pm

papalazeru wrote:It's like DBZ without the repeated animation.
:lol:

It feels more like Gargoyles than DBZ...

I dont know how far you've gotten but the series just blows up midway through season 2 and the awesome dosnt stop
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby papalazeru on Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:43 pm

Finished seaon 2 now and it's incredible. The characters really develop and learn.

Aang is just unbelievable with his powers now.

I love Sooko's story of the conflicted Fire king. Brilliantly done.

Can't recommend it enough, like someone once recommended to me.

papalazeru

Postby Al Shut on Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:24 am

season 3 starts this weekend in Germany, boy I can't wait
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:35 pm

S3 is great, and goes places that you just don't really expect. It's my favourite so far... I'm so glad to see the Avatar love in the Zone these days. It's a great little show.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:10 pm

Just thought I'd point out that Series 3 has now commenced again with 2 blinding Eps.

So Monkey, get down....I mean watching.

papalazeru

Postby MonkeyM666 on Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:25 pm

Seem 'em all Papa.... waiting for more.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:10 am

sniff

I have to wait till fall for the second half of book three
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender (Now w/ 100% Less Cameron!)

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:32 am

Bloody hell, they release two eps (about 2 months ago) and now we have to wait until September fro the next ep?

That's really unfair. I'm really missing this show.

papalazeru

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:37 am

Yeah, they do really stuff around with the schedule a lot.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ChaoticMoira on Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:35 pm

I was wondering if it had anything to do with the writers strike. It seemed to end abruptly.

The remaining 10 episodes of Avatar will be broadcast in the United States one each night starting July 14th, and ending with a two hour finale special on Saturday, July 19th.

-From http://www.avatarspirit.net/

Yeah, I just wanted to add to the Avatar love in here. I seriously cannot get enough of this show. The characters are so well written and always true to their personality in any given situation. The story is wonderful and I laugh my ass off.

If someone is considering giving it a go, I suggest watching at least half way through season 1. By then if you aren't hooked then you're insane. But it takes a few episodes to really get to know the characters. I don't normally like cartoons, but this is not written like your average cartoon. I just can't imagine anyone NOT liking this show.

July is too far away. I am having Sokka withdrawals!

Did anyone else get stupidly excited when Aang FINALLY kissed Katara? Ep 310 which was the last one I saw. I heard that there are 4 others that have not yet been shown in the states. :evil:

I also heard this is the end of the show (July). Does anyone else have any firm answer to that?
ChaoticMoira
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Al Shut on Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:28 am

The only thing that gets me stupidly excited is Iroh.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby ChaoticMoira on Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:05 pm

I am still waiting to see his explosive reappearance after becoming a "one man army".
ChaoticMoira
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:40 pm

ChaoticMoira wrote:I was wondering if it had anything to do with the writers strike. It seemed to end abruptly.

The remaining 10 episodes of Avatar will be broadcast in the United States one each night starting July 14th, and ending with a two hour finale special on Saturday, July 19th.

-From http://www.avatarspirit.net/

Yeah, I just wanted to add to the Avatar love in here. I seriously cannot get enough of this show. The characters are so well written and always true to their personality in any given situation. The story is wonderful and I laugh my ass off.

If someone is considering giving it a go, I suggest watching at least half way through season 1. By then if you aren't hooked then you're insane. But it takes a few episodes to really get to know the characters. I don't normally like cartoons, but this is not written like your average cartoon. I just can't imagine anyone NOT liking this show.

July is too far away. I am having Sokka withdrawals!

Did anyone else get stupidly excited when Aang FINALLY kissed Katara? Ep 310 which was the last one I saw. I heard that there are 4 others that have not yet been shown in the states. :evil:

I also heard this is the end of the show (July). Does anyone else have any firm answer to that?

So no Wind Chapter? Fucking Nick!
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:51 pm

Last Ep airs tonight!
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby MonkeyM666 on Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:45 am

Well... what a great ending for a fantastic show. There's heaps that I want to talk about but I don't know if I'll be able to splutter it all out.

Firstly... best recap episode ever! Such a creative and entertaining way to remind the audience of Ang's journey as well as preparing us for the ultimate finally. I really appreciated not being spoon fed what we all ready know and using a stage dramatization as the medium for the retelling was a really nice change. The writers knew that they didn't have to retell you the more recent episodes either which was refreshing.

There will be spoilers kids so if you haven't seen it look away.

So we join back with Ang at the Western Air temple right after Zuko joins the gang to teach Ang Firebending. The flowing adventure (or the 2.5 hours I watched tonight) finishes up just about every story arc set up in throughout the series and brings us to the decisive battles for the rule of the Fire kingdom, and the freedom of the world. There are some amazingly detailed battle scenes in these groups of episodes with extended and massive fire bending massacres due to the coming of a comet. The battles (Zuko v Azula and Ang v Firelord Ozai) are truly epic and there are some pretty heavy Anime inspirations in a whole stack of the scenes. The full emotional scale of what Ang's destiny is asking him to do (in killing the firelord) is so heavy for any normal children's cartoon but it does it in a way that is mature and handles it with care and insite. I really enjoyed the way that Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko rounded it all off.

Sure there's a bit of an opening for other projects and the movies on the way ( I will kill Shyamalan if he fucks with this :evil:) but we have closure and it's something that is only possible with this series being able to run it's course so pip pip to Nickelodeon you did a great job and it'll pay you back in folds. I really love this show and I really loved the finale. It reminds me of me feelings for the Lost Cities of Gold and Astro Boy in the humanity and growth of every major character. I will be buying it for myself as well as showing it to my children, even if that's twenty years from now.

10/10

MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:18 am

I could have cried.
Such a nice ending. I wonder if there's going to be anymore?

Quite touching after investing so much time in the show. Definitely worth buying the boxed set now it's complete.

I don't think Taff was given enough time though.

papalazeru

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:40 am

I'm happy Aang finally got some! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:10 am

bastard_robo wrote:I'm happy Aang finally got some! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That's it BR, lower the tone.

I must admit, I probably would have tapped her and Taf at the same time. Yummy.

papalazeru

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:08 am

papalazeru wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:I'm happy Aang finally got some! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That's it BR, lower the tone.

I must admit, I probably would have tapped her and Taf at the same time. Yummy.

Well, after the skim through the final the other day, I've finally got to watch the entire thing. As I said with arrested development, if the show ends here, I'm completely satisfied. This final is one of the best written things on tv, especially within the confines of a family show. Aang's tortured decision on having to kill the Fire lord, Azula's decent in to madness! and Iroh taking back Ba Sing Se Prime stuff. And the action! The battle with between the Fire Lord and Avatar Aang was phenomenal! It seemed like the guys that made the show were trying to one up Lucas with this attempt at filming a big fight over a Volcano...

Fantastic show and I hope to high hell that M Night lets the writers of this show pump out the screen play.

10/10

and on a side note, I'd rather have Ty Lee
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Al Shut on Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:49 am

The finale finally aired in Germany and it was indeed as exellent as the whiole series.

I don't know what I liked more, full metall Toph or azula completly loosing it before, during and after the battle.

But dare I say I was a bit disapointed at the White Lotus part, they clearly lacked a worthy adversary.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby MonkeyM666 on Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:58 pm

Al Shut wrote:The finale finally aired in Germany and it was indeed as exellent as the whiole series.

I don't know what I liked more, full metall Toph or azula completly loosing it before, during and after the battle.

But dare I say I was a bit disapointed at the White Lotus part, they clearly lacked a worthy adversary.

The way I saw it was that the Order of teh White Lotus had no equal, the same way a fully realised Avatar has no rival. All of the different nations and benders working together cannot be stopped....

ok everybody hold hands :D
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:10 am

But that doesn't mean there couldn't have been at least one evil firebender above cannon fodder level in the whole city.

Or shoots of the white Lotus footmen struggling a bit more, similar to the season 1 finale.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:48 am

well the trailer looks sweet....

http://www.thelastairbendermovie.com/
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:03 am

MonkeyM666 wrote:well the trailer looks sweet....

http://www.thelastairbendermovie.com/

Damn Monkey!!!! I thought that was a NEW trailer. I was so psyched then for a moment.

:( Probably in trouble at work for that now.

Still, I did like watching that again. If that's really the kid doing those martial arts, he's been well trainer. His stance is great.

papalazeru

Postby Maui on Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:05 pm

Trailer is delayed, looks like we'll see it in Feb. :(
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:52 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Maui on Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maui
WoWie

Next

Return to Animation