Heavy Metal sequel (Now with more Fincher)

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:44 am

According to Variety a second Heavy Metal sequel is in the works and being spearheaded by none other than David Fincher along with Kevin Eastman and Blur animation.

Paramount Pictures will make an animated film inspired by the '70s sci-fi fantasy magazine Heavy Metal, with director David Fincher spearheading the project.

"Heavy Metal" will be stamped by the erotic and violent storylines and images that remain the trademark of a magazine that debuted in the U.S. in 1977. The mag introduced the works of American artists and writers such as Robert Silverberg, Harlan Ellison and H.R. Giger.

The film will consist of eight or nine individual animated segments, each of which will be directed by a different helmer.

Fincher will direct one of the segments; Kevin Eastman, the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" co-creator who is now owner and publisher of Heavy Metal, will direct another. So will Tim Miller, whose Blur Studios will handle the animation for what is being conceived as an R-rated, adult-themed feature.

Fincher, Eastman and Miller will produce the film. The studio will lock in the other directors shortly. The mag previously spawned a 1981 animated feature and 2000 sequel.

Fincher, who directed "Zodiac" for Par, recently wrapped the Brad Pitt-Cate Blanchett starrer "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," which Par releases Dec. 19. Fincher recently became attached to direct Paramount's adaptation of the Charles Burns graphic novel "Black Hole" and is also developing "Torso" and "The Killer" for the studio.

Miller is writing, directing and producing a feature-length version of "Rockfish." Blur has also been responsible for animating such videogames as "Transformers: The Game," based on the hit pic from DreamWorks and Paramount.

If you aren't at all familiar with the original Heavy Metal I recommend this dvd or checkout YouTube for some clips.

As for news that Blur is working on this, that's great especially after their recent short A Gentlemen's Duel
Last edited by Chairman Kaga on Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bamf on Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:48 am

This brims with possibility given Fincher's name attached. Give me another Ramis segment please.
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:05 am

Anything to wash the horrible taste that this...

...left in my mouth

WORST SEQUEL EVER!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:07 am

Damn you robo! Why did you have to taint my thread only three posts in with that garbage? :wink:

As far as I am concerned if this proposed Fincher lead deal gets made it will be the only sequel.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:18 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:Damn you robo! Why did you have to taint my thread only three posts in with that garbage? :wink:

As far as I am concerned if this proposed Fincher lead deal gets made it will be the only sequel.

Much like how Rocky fans ignore Rocky 5 and accept Rocky Balboa as the true Rocky 5!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Re: Heavy Metal sequel (Now with more Fincher)

Postby bamf on Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:36 am

bastard_robo wrote:Anything to wash the horrible taste that this...

Ya, I even have the monochrome poster rescued from a trash can. But any Micheal Ironside love?
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Re: Heavy Metal sequel (Now with more Fincher)

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:41 am

bamf wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:Anything to wash the horrible taste that this...

Ya, I even have the monochrome poster rescued from a trash can. But any Micheal Ironside love?

The man never chose wisely
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Theta on Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:36 am

Never saw "Heavy Metal 2000". "Heavy Metal" itself is an entirely unintentional hoot, and I suspect this sequel will be the same.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:38 am

This a sounds promising, no? Any of a you putzes old enough a to have actually gone to a the first one when it was inna the theaters, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby tapehead on Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:05 am

Nope, but I can honestly say I watched it on VHS 30+ times before 1990...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:28 am

That's awesome! I was there on opening night way back when, to a PACKED theater. I convinced all my friends that we had to go see it even though they had no idea what it was about. I remember it well because the crowd was the motliest hive of scum and villainy ever, and the ushers (remember them?) were FREAKING out. A security guard stopped a tall dude in black leather and frizzy heavy metal hair and sunglasses to empty his pockets down in the front row. The dude said "Aw man, not AGAIN!" to the guffaws of many.

Awesome film. John Candy, Cheap Trick, Devo, Captain Stern, Ploog, Moebius, Corben (et al.), animated full-frontal nudity... it all rocked.

"The rising moon climaxes our love, Den. It is a sign."

"Yes... a sign. (I had NO idea what she was talking about!)"

:lol:
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Fawst on Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:26 pm

"She dies, you die... everybody dies!"

I love Heavy Metal. Great magazine. This will rule, simply because it's NOT an Eastman love-letter to his (hot as hell) wife.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:51 pm

I'm not looking forward to this. The original Heavy Metal is one of the only two or three movies I ever walked out of. It was utter crap.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:52 pm

minstrel wrote:I'm not looking forward to this.

I'll be sure to alert the media.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:56 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:

Don't worry about it. I just did, by posting here.
minstrel

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:59 pm

minstrel wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:

Don't worry about it. I just did, by posting here.

Then I did as well..I didn't say I would be first. :-P
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:54 pm

minstrel wrote:I'm not looking forward to this. The original Heavy Metal is one of the only two or three movies I ever walked out of. It was utter crap.

Come on, minstrel... where's a the love, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby DennisMM on Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:42 pm

It's a joke of a movie. Most of the segments don't make any sense. Kinda pretty. Saw it on my 19th birthday and returned to find "friends" had trashed my dorm room, ruining my Humphrey Bogart poster.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:21 pm

DennisMM wrote:Most of the segments don't make any sense.

Anna that would a be different from a the funny book magazine how?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby minstrel on Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:27 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
DennisMM wrote:Most of the segments don't make any sense.

Anna that would a be different from a the funny book magazine how?

The funny book magazine wasn't any good then, either. Once you got past the novelty of "adult fantasy comics", there wasn't much there worth looking at.

It's blah, Dino. Admit it.
minstrel

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:31 pm

minstrel wrote:It's blah, Dino. Admit it.

Paisan, with alla due respect, you're talking to a the visionary who brought a the Barbarella outta the funny books anna onna'to a the silver screen, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby King Psyz on Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:33 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Image

According to Variety a second Heavy Metal sequel is in the works and being spearheaded by none other than David Fincher along with Kevin Eastman and Blur animation.

Paramount Pictures will make an animated film inspired by the '70s sci-fi fantasy magazine Heavy Metal, with director David Fincher spearheading the project.

"Heavy Metal" will be stamped by the erotic and violent storylines and images that remain the trademark of a magazine that debuted in the U.S. in 1977. The mag introduced the works of American artists and writers such as Robert Silverberg, Harlan Ellison and H.R. Giger.

The film will consist of eight or nine individual animated segments, each of which will be directed by a different helmer.

Fincher will direct one of the segments; Kevin Eastman, the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" co-creator who is now owner and publisher of Heavy Metal, will direct another. So will Tim Miller, whose Blur Studios will handle the animation for what is being conceived as an R-rated, adult-themed feature.

Fincher, Eastman and Miller will produce the film. The studio will lock in the other directors shortly. The mag previously spawned a 1981 animated feature and 2000 sequel.

Fincher, who directed "Zodiac" for Par, recently wrapped the Brad Pitt-Cate Blanchett starrer "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," which Par releases Dec. 19. Fincher recently became attached to direct Paramount's adaptation of the Charles Burns graphic novel "Black Hole" and is also developing "Torso" and "The Killer" for the studio.

Miller is writing, directing and producing a feature-length version of "Rockfish." Blur has also been responsible for animating such videogames as "Transformers: The Game," based on the hit pic from DreamWorks and Paramount.

If you aren't at all familiar with the original Heavy Metal I recommend this dvd or checkout YouTube for some clips.

As for news that Blur is working on this, that's great especially after their recent short A Gentlemen's Duel

boy, talk about striking while the iron is hot eh?
Last edited by King Psyz on Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby so sorry on Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:34 pm

DennisMM wrote:It's a joke of a movie. Most of the segments don't make any sense. Kinda pretty. Saw it on my 19th birthday and returned to find "friends" had trashed my dorm room, ruining my Humphrey Bogart poster.

Interesting anticdote Dennis.

I always enjoyed the original movie.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DennisMM on Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:57 pm

The trashing of my room may have soured my opinion.

The stories chosen for the film made the film more difficult to understand. "Den" was a serial shoved into 15 minutes. "So Beautiful and So Dangerous" was a serial that was chopped at both ends and dropped into 20 minutes with us having no idea what was happened. "Captain Sternn" was a recurring feature out of which they pulled 10 minutes. Self-contained stories or stories not so badly compressed would have been easier to take.
Last edited by DennisMM on Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby buster00 on Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:06 pm

Heavy Metal is infinitely quoteable, and the soundtrack is kick-ass, but I find that a good portion of it doesn't hold up that well.

Overrated, but only just barely.

And holy shit, does Heavy Metal 2000 ever suck. I think we can all at least agree on that.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:42 pm

This I would see. It was a cool movie to watch, didn't make much sense, but it didn't need to. Just a cool ride, imo.

Fincher is only directing one of the segments (the article above states) - I do really like his work, I'm sure his portion will be outstanding.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:12 pm

Maui wrote:It was a cool movie to watch, didn't make much sense, but it didn't need to. Just a cool ride, imo.

'Zactly!
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby bamf on Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:40 am

Instead of Playboys, my Dad hid his VHS copy of Heavy Metal in a trunk, right next to the Anarchist Cookbook and Nazi silverware.
I still get uneasy with the bomber sequence. The sound scheme is scary enough as it is.
I likes me the Heavy Metal. John Candy Sex-bot? yes.

Zeks wrote:Look, man, if there's one thing I know, it's how to drive while I'm stoned. You know your perception is completely fucked so you just let your hands work the controls as if you were straight.
:-P
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby minstrel on Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:45 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
minstrel wrote:It's blah, Dino. Admit it.

Paisan, with alla due respect, you're talking to a the visionary who brought a the Barbarella outta the funny books anna onna'to a the silver screen, eh?

Fine. Congrats. Barbarella had nothing to do with Heavy Metal. And Heavy Metal is still blah. I'd rather have seen more Barbarella.
minstrel

Postby bamf on Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:59 am

minstrel wrote:
Fine. Congrats. Barbarella had nothing to do with Heavy Metal. And Heavy Metal is still blah. I'd rather have seen more Barbarella.

You Got It!

Uh..

Delivered!
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby DennisMM on Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:17 am

I thought FLASH would save us!
DennisMM

Postby Al Shut on Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:57 am

So the original rocks but makes no sense? Seems like I have some cathing up to do. Maybe there was some 'dessin automatique' at work.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby SilentBobX on Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:13 am

I fucking LOVE Heavy Metal. Easily in the top 5 of my favorite animated films ever. The zombies on a plane sequence alone is worth the price of the dvd. But also the Terrakian(sp?) babe swimming naked, and the other naked babes made it a cinematic wonder to behold.

Also, I don't know if it was ever specifically noted by anyone, but the H@rry Canyon story obviously was copied in 5th Element. Sadly, Milla never took off her clothes in front of Bruce Willis and asked him to sleep with her. Ah well.

Let's hope Fincher and company do this right. Keep it rated R, keep the boobage and violence comin and hopefully, it'll deliver.

Mahalo

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:14 am

I only watched it for the first time a couple of years ago... Wasn't expecting too much, but thoroughly enjoyed it on a sunny Saturday morning!

The coke snorting alien was a particularly OTT highlight.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby tapehead on Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:01 am

SilentBobX wrote:Also, I don't know if it was ever specifically noted by anyone, but the H@rry Canyon story obviously was copied in 5th Element. Sadly, Milla never took off her clothes in front of Bruce Willis and asked him to sleep with her. Ah well.

That 5th Element borrowed quite a bit from Heavy Metal has been noted.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Peven on Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:16 am

Although i always felt "5th Element" was a cinematic rendering of a pulp sci-fi comic, i never picked up on a real tonal similarity between it and "Heavy Metal", which has little if any real merit of its own, imo. the animations sucks. the voicework sucks. the writing is lazy, infantile and on the intellectual level of a stunted 10 yr old. if you are really into shittily animated tits and ass then i guess "Heavy Metal" is for you though

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby tapehead on Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:55 pm

You're ignoring the material's enormous cult appeal, and how much fun it all is.
Why imply that the people that do enjoy the movie are somehow inferior to yourself? I just don't see why that kind of discussion is necessary here - it's tantamount to trolling in a talkback.

Heavy Metal R0XX0R5!
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:07 pm

tapehead wrote:Why imply that the people that do enjoy the movie are somehow inferior to yourself?

Isn't that Peven's standard Modus Operandi?
Peven wrote:Although i always felt "5th Element" was a cinematic rendering of a pulp sci-fi comic, i never picked up on a real tonal similarity between it and "Heavy Metal"

As several critics have noted, Luc Besson's The Fifth Element (1997) has certain plot parallels with "Harry Canyon". The similarities include the cynical, detached character of the taxi driver, who looks not unlike Korben Dallas, the way Harry can very easily deal with being held at gunpoint, the scene where the daughter is asking for help, i.e. to be let into the taxi. The daughter is also wearing a revealing white costume and is a love interest for Harry. How Harry's flat looks like Korben's (though it is much larger), a ball of ultimate evil is the driving force of the plot (though here it is smaller than a head, while in The Fifth Element it is closer to a moon in size).
Last edited by Chairman Kaga on Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:09 pm

I hope not, especially considering how judgemental he has been of other Zoners lately.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Peven on Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:14 pm

you two are like teenage girls in "Heathers"....

congrats on the research, but i didn't say anything about any plot point similarities, i said it didn't feel tonally the same. but thats ok, i know you live to try to take your pot shots whenever possible and i wouldn't want to rob of you of that joy. :roll:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby tapehead on Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:18 pm

I'm nothing like a teenage girl, no matter how hard you try to imagine otherwise, hater.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Peven on Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:19 pm

tapehead wrote:I'm nothing like a teenage girl, no matter how hard you try to imagine otherwise, hater.

right, teenage girls are more muscular

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby tapehead on Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:21 pm

Peven wrote:
tapehead wrote:I'm nothing like a teenage girl, no matter how hard you try to imagine otherwise, hater.

right, teenage girls are more muscular

Go troll somewhere else and stop fantasizing that I'm androgynous...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Peven on Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:23 pm

you and your girlfriend were trolling, i was posting about a movie...

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby tapehead on Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:25 pm

Peven wrote:you and your girlfriend were trolling, i was posting about a movie...

Actually you were just inferring that people that liked this movie weren't as clever as you - you really said very little about the film at all. People have differences of opinion on films all the time - the difference being we all don't immediately get personal and insulting the way that you have here - go on, read the last dozen posts aloud to yourself, you'll see what I mean.

I'm out... 'cos Peven makes me cry....
Last edited by tapehead on Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:30 pm

Peven, why are you posting in this thread if you didn't like Heavy Metal & have no interest in seeing a sequel?

Some of us want to see this, no matter how bad the first sequel was (& the spin-off video game) & if that makes us "little girls" or "infantile with the intellectual level of a stunted 10year old" in your book then fine.
It's not like we care what you think about us anyway.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:11 pm

Peven wrote:you two are like teenage girls in "Heathers"....

tapehaed is two teenage girls? That would make a good jumping off point for a segment in this new film.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:27 pm

I am two teenage girls, and right now we're getting naked, listening to Black Sabbath and smoking weed. Want to come aboard our spaceship?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:20 pm

tapehead wrote:I am two teenage girls, and right now we're getting naked, listening to Black Sabbath and smoking weed. Want to come aboard our spaceship?

"Dear Penthouse..."
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:04 am

SilentBobX wrote:I fucking LOVE Heavy Metal. Easily in the top 5 of my favorite animated films ever.

AND...it's Canadian made!!!
Maui
WoWie

Next

Return to Animation