Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Postby Maui on Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:48 pm

[quote="Kansas City.Com"]Horton Hears a Who

OK, so it’s not as bad as Ron Howard’s elephantine live-action version of “How the Grinch Stole Christmas.â€
Maui
WoWie

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:25 am

The Dino, he was a there at a the premiere, eh? From a the visual standpoint, they got a the look of a the Seuss' world alla right, no? But from a the story standpoint... any similiarities to a the original work, they are a the purely coinna'cidental, eh?

Anna then a some Pro-Lifer, she went anna ruined a the good suit of a mine by spattering me with a the goddamn fake blood, eh?

Goddamn putz.
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Maui on Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:18 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:The Dino, he was a there at a the premiere, eh? From a the visual standpoint, they got a the look of a the Seuss' world alla right, no? But from a the story standpoint... any similiarities to a the original work, they are a the purely coinna'cidental, eh?

Anna then a some Pro-Lifer, she went anna ruined a the good suit of a mine by spattering me with a the goddamn fake blood, eh?

Goddamn putz.

Oh cool, not about the pro lifer, eh?

Yeah, I guess that line stirred up quite the ruckus - "a person is a person no matter how small".
Maui
WoWie

Postby Peven on Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:42 am

Maui wrote:
DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:The Dino, he was a there at a the premiere, eh? From a the visual standpoint, they got a the look of a the Seuss' world alla right, no? But from a the story standpoint... any similiarities to a the original work, they are a the purely coinna'cidental, eh?

Goddamn putz.

Yeah, I guess that line stirred up quite the ruckus - "a person is a person no matter how small".

well, come on, the entire story (whether Seuss intended it or not) is a tailor-made allegory for a pro-life mind-set. don't forget Horton's other adventure, which came first incidentally, "Horton Hatches the Egg", where he shows his commitment to taking care of the egg until its time to hatch. the character of Horton is all about parental commitment and responsibility. at least, that is my take :wink:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Maui on Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:45 am

Peven wrote:
Maui wrote:
DinoDeLa urentiis wrote:The Dino, he was a there at a the premiere, eh? From a the visual standpoint, they got a the look of a the Seuss' world alla right, no? But from a the story standpoint... any similiarities to a the original work, they are a the purely coinna'cidental, eh?

Goddamn putz.

well, come on, the entire story (whether Seuss intended it or not) is a tailor-made allegory for a pro-life mind-set. don't forget Horton's other adventure, which came first incidentally, "Horton Hatches the Egg", where he shows his commitment to taking care of the egg until its time to hatch. the character of Horton is all about parental commitment and responsibility. at least, that is my take :wink:

OKAY PevEN!!! Let's not turn this thread into a chicken or egg thing!!

:evil: :lol:

I'm seeing this tomorrow. I will give you all a full report. I'm sure you can't wait.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:58 pm

Looking forward to it if nothing else for the animation but I'm definitely not expecting the story to work.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:02 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Looking forward to it if nothing else for the animation but I'm definitely not expecting the story to work.

Yeah, this is why I go to all these flicks, I really enjoy animated films. Even if I am the minority in amongst all the familes and noisy kids.

The win for these movies is that they grab the family audience - G rating. As well, if the kids giggle and are truly enjoying themselves with the movie, that to me is a success.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Zarles on Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:12 pm

Might be seeing this with my 4-year-old niece this weekend for her birthday. Not too jazzed about it, but whatever. It's her birthday.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:21 pm

Zarles wrote:Might be seeing this with my 4-year-old niece this weekend for her birthday. Not too jazzed about it, but whatever. It's her birthday.

I'm sure there will be plenty of laughs.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:27 pm

Caught this one earlier this evening.

Well... what are we REALLY expecting with this, hmm?

Seuss' original story BARELY manages to keep its head above water, BUT the animation is absolutely fantastic. I love Blue Sky. I don't think they get nearly the credit they deserve (as most non-Pixar shops don't), but as far as the look of the film goes, they knocked it right out of the park and into Seuss' imagination.

There is so much Seussian detail packed into almost every frame that you'll marvel at how perfect it all is... almost like it could be a real place. There's a really funny scene showing the construction of one of the Whoville buildings, and the framework is all curvy and asymetrical, just as it would have to be. It's little things like that that make you smile.

Jim Carrey was mis-cast, IMO, but manages to deliver a fairly low-key performance (which is still like an 11 on most scales). Steve Carell is really good as the Mayor of Whoville. I've read praise for Carol Burnett's voicework as the kangaroo, but I was somewhat disappointed (especially after recently watching the PBS American Masters special on her). Will Arnett is very funny as Vlad, the Russian-accented vulture.

The script is the weakest link though, with certain scenes tacked on to pad the film out to 88 minutes (including an anime sequence that fell completely flat for me). But there are some set pieces which are visually funny and exciting, like Horton's crossing of a rickety rope bridge or Horton being attacked by Vlad.

The biggest problem with the script though is that it's incredibly uneven, and the tone of the film is constantly changing at a frenetic pace, with some rather lame jokes thrown in for good measure.

BUT... when it works, it works and my daughter loved it, laughing out loud many times at the genuinely funny moments, and there are some.

Take the kids, put your brain on hold, forget about the book (and Chuck Jones' adaptation), and enjoy the Scrat teaser for Ice Age 3.

ETA: I forgot to mention, Charles Osgood narrates the film, which I thought gives it a nice bit of charm as well.
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Maui on Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:16 am

Cha-Ka Khan wrote:Caught this one earlier this evening.

Well... what are we REALLY expecting with this, hmm?

Seuss' original story BARELY manages to keep its head above water, BUT the animation is absolutely fantastic. I love Blue Sky. I don't think they get nearly the credit they deserve (as most non-Pixar shops don't), but as far as the look of the film goes, they knocked it right out of the park and into Seuss' imagination.

There is so much Seussian detail packed into almost every frame that you'll marvel at how perfect it all is... almost like it could be a real place. There's a really funny scene showing the construction of one of the Whoville buildings, and the framework is all curvy and asymetrical, just as it would have to be. It's little things like that that make you smile.

Jim Carrey was mis-cast, IMO, but manages to deliver a fairly low-key performance (which is still like an 11 on most scales). Steve Carell is really good as the Mayor of Whoville. I've read praise for Carol Burnett's voicework as the kangaroo, but I was somewhat disappointed (especially after recently watching the PBS American Masters special on her). Will Arnett is very funny as Vlad, the Russian-accented vulture.

The script is the weakest link though, with certain scenes tacked on to pad the film out to 88 minutes (including an anime sequence that fell completely flat for me). But there are some set pieces which are visually funny and exciting, like Horton's crossing of a rickety rope bridge or Horton being attacked by Vlad.

The biggest problem with the script though is that it's incredibly uneven, and the tone of the film is constantly changing at a frenetic pace, with some rather lame jokes thrown in for good measure.

BUT... when it works, it works and my daughter loved it, laughing out loud many times at the genuinely funny moments, and there are some.

Take the kids, put your brain on hold, forget about the book (and Chuck Jones' adaptation), and enjoy the Scrat teaser for Ice Age 3.

ETA: I forgot to mention, Charles Osgood narrates the film, which I thought gives it a nice bit of charm as well.

Nice writeup. Going to see this in an hour! Looking forward to it! :)
Maui
WoWie

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:34 am

Saw this last night.

Nice looking film, but a bit streched...

And in the end, it became this huge allagory for G.AY Rights...(The animals refusing to belive that there are Who's and rather sweep them under the rug than deal)
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Peven on Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:46 am

replace "unborn person" for "g@y", BR and you'd be much closer to the allegory at hand, imo

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:54 pm

Peven wrote:replace "unborn person" for "g@y", BR and you'd be much closer to the allegory at hand, imo

If you want to go retro, you could always go with black right too...
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby LaDracul on Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:59 pm

Well, I'm glad this wasn't live action. That's what really got my goat after "In Search of Doctor Seuss", a made-for-TV movie that was live action, and many of the characters looked freakish. Which is why I refuse to watch "How the Grinch Stole Christmas". "Cat in the Hat", however, was okay as the majority of characters were humans and it had some great "Family Guy"-type humor in it. (Especially the greatest nut shot scene EVER.)

The film was amusing, and I was pleasantly surprised by the anime scene where Horton imagines himself as a karate-chopping hero that goes Kamekameha on the bad monkeys. :)

Thus, this is probably the only big-screen Seuss movie that worked well in translation...as in they kept it animated and it came out okay. :D
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:27 pm

I really enjoyed this film.

Blue Sky does a wonderful job of capturing the Whoville, Whos, craziness perfectly.

In the very beginning the jungle appears real. Before you see anything, you see a leaf with droplets, I swear, looked like the real thing. Along with the waterfalls.

Lots of laughs as well. Kids were laughing constantly and in my mind that was a winner.

I dug Jo Jo the Emo son and the 96 daughters. hahah!

ASAP, what was that again, Awesomely Swift Active Pachoderm?? Something like that.

They really captured the Dr. Seuss vibe - wow! The storyline moved a bit slow in parts, but when they transformed to the busy Who peeps, the pace certainly picked up.

Vlad the bunny who baked cookies.
Vlad the evil bird.

The root canal scene - hahahahah - and the limp arm. :lol:

Good stuff.

P.S. The entire scene of Horton attempting to get across the bridge (see my sig below) was an absolute hoot. The theatre just roared withlaughter.
Last edited by Maui on Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maui
WoWie

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:30 pm

Maui wrote:I really enjoyed this film.

Blue Sky does a wonderful job of capturing the Whoville, Whos, craziness perfectly.

In the very beginning the jungle appears real. Before you see anything, you see a leaf with droplets, I swear, looked like the real thing. Along with the waterfalls.

Lots of laughs as well. Kids were laughing constantly and in my mind that was a winner.

ASAP, what was that again, Awesomely Swift Active Pachoderm?? Something like that.

They really captured the Dr. Seuss vibe - wow! The storyline moved a bit slow in parts, but when they transformed to the busy Who peeps, the pace certainly picked up.

Vlad the evil bird.

Good stuff.

I thought the Emo look was a nice touch to the son...

If Blue Sky could get their writing down, they could be a serious contender to Pixar... More so than Dreamworks Animation..
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Re: Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who

Postby Maui on Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:33 pm

bastard_robo wrote:
Maui wrote:I really enjoyed this film.

Vlad the evil bird.

Good stuff.

If Blue Sky could get their writing down, they could be a serious contender to Pixar... More so than Dreamworks Animation..

Big Time BR!!! Blue Sky is rather good imo. I own all the Ice Age flicks, which I think are done really well - they did show a clip for Ice Age 3 - the Dinosaurs - looked awesome!
Maui
WoWie

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:35 pm

Maui wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:
M aui wrote:I really enjoyed this film.

Vlad the evil bird.

Good stuff.

Big Time BR!!! Blue Sky is rather good imo. I own all the Ice Age flicks, which I think are done really well - they did show a clip for Ice Age 3 - the Dinosaurs - looked awesome!

Robots was a wonderful flick too... I love that Blue Sky dosnt cop out with the numerous Popculture jokes like Dreamworks or these indy CG toon films do. They dont feel dated and hold up rather well.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Maui on Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:37 pm

bastard_robo wrote:
Maui wrote:
b astard_robo wrote:

Vlad the evil bird.

Good stuff.

Robots was a wonderful flick too... I love that Blue Sky dosnt cop out with the numerous Popculture jokes like Dreamworks or these indy CG toon films do. They dont feel dated and hold up rather well.

You are right, I don't think "Horton" had 1 pop culture joke. It was just a really cute film. I laughed alot. Carrey wasn't too over the top, he did his part well. As did Steve Carrel as the mayor.
Last edited by Maui on Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maui
WoWie

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:39 pm

Maui wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:
M aui wrote:
b astard_robo wrote:

Vlad the evil bird.

Good stuff.

You are right, I don't think "Horton" had 1 pop culture joke. It was just a really cute film. I laughed alot. Carrey wasn't too over the top, he did his part well. As did Steve Carrel as the mayor. Seth Rogen was Vlad - hah! Funny.

Proving that Steve Carrel is quickly becoming this generations Steve Martin!
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Maui on Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:41 pm

bastard_robo wrote:
Maui wrote:
b astard_robo wrote:
M aui wrote:
b astard_robo wrote:

Vlad the evil bird.

Good stuff.

You are right, I don't think "Horton" had 1 pop culture joke. It was just a really cute film. I laughed alot. Carrey wasn't too over the top, he did his part well. As did Steve Carrel as the mayor. Seth Rogen was Vlad - hah! Funny.

Did you see "Over the Hedge"? He plays Hammy the squirrel, very very funny and it's mostly noises that come out of his mouth, more than words.
Maui
WoWie

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:43 pm

Maui wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:
M aui wrote:
b astard_robo wrote:
M aui wrote:
b astard_robo wrote:

Vlad the evil bird.

Good stuff.

Did you see "Over the Hedge"? He plays Hammy the squirrel, very very funny and it's mostly noises that come out of his mouth, more than words.

That was probably Dreamworks best effort. Then they continue with Shrek and more watered down product. Kung Fu Panda donst look all that thrilling.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Maui on Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:44 pm

Yeah, it was very good, "Over the Hedge". They had a great cast of voice talents and a funny story to match. A win.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:15 pm

Forgot to ask you guys, what did you think of the Hortons Anime hero dream? I thought it was kinda clever.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:48 pm

#1 at the box office this weekend. Horton pulled in a cool $45,100,000
Maui
WoWie

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:36 am

Maui wrote:Forgot to ask you guys, what did you think of the Hortons Anime hero dream? I thought it was kinda clever.

Both of the hand drawn sceens were great!
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:23 am

Maui wrote:Forgot to ask you guys, what did you think of the Hortons Anime hero dream? I thought it was kinda clever.

Cha-Ka Khan wrote:The script is the weakest link though, with certain scenes tacked on to pad the film out to 88 minutes (including an anime sequence that fell completely flat for me).

:sad:
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:32 am

I just got off the phone with Who, and he says he's bored of being on first base... /had-to-be-done
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Theta on Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:42 am

A) I really hate the pro-lifers trying to claim "Horton Hears a Who." That's like the logging industry trying to claim "The Lorax".

B) I think John Kovalic said it best. He prefers to get clicks, so I'll just direct you to his comic Dork Tower here:

http://archive.gamespy.com/comics/dorktower/archive.asp?nextform=viewcomic&id=1352

MOD EDIT: Fixed your link --Pacino
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:07 am

Cha-Ka Khan wrote:

Cha-Ka Khan wrote:The script is the weakest link though, with certain scenes tacked on to pad the film out to 88 minutes (including an anime sequence that fell completely flat for me).

:sad:

hahaha, well it wasn't supposed to be an awe inspiring anime scene. I just took it as a bit of fun nonsense.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:23 am

Hold on a second...

Did someone actually turn the adorable littlest Who Jojo into that lame emo looking thing on Maui's AV?? That would totally lessen the impact of the ending when the littlest Who ends up making all the difference in saving the Whos. I always thought the story was about democracy. I think there was a Chuck Jones version of this that was adorable, or maybe I dreamed it, but Jojo was adorable. I'd be angry enough to try and beat up the emo Jojo, but I know he'll just cut himself in the bathroom anyways.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Maui on Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:48 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:Hold on a second...

Did someone actually turn the adorable littlest Who Jojo into that lame emo looking thing on Maui's AV?? That would totally lessen the impact of the ending when the littlest Who ends up making all the difference in saving the Whos. I always thought the story was about democracy. I think there was a Chuck Jones version of this that was adorable, or maybe I dreamed it, but Jojo was adorable. I'd be angry enough to try and beat up the emo Jojo, but I know he'll just cut himself in the bathroom anyways.

hey hey hey there !!!!! Jo Jo is the cute emo mo!!

Anyways, this is a really funny clip from the movie. One of my favourite scenes, enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMLG5WQg1xo&feature=related
Maui
WoWie

Postby Eunuch Provocateur on Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:43 pm

I really enjoyed the movie. Every time Morton came on, with Seth Rogen's voice, I wanted a pot joke. That made me even more excited to see Pineapple Express, though, as I had just forced my friends to watch the Red Band trailer for it before the movie.

The problem with Seuss is that his writing is so sparse and his visuals are so complex that it's hard to translate them onto the screen without it being A) a short film or B) an Experimental Film.
There's no Devil, just God when he's drunk. -Tom Waits.
Eunuch Provocateur
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Maui on Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:06 pm

Eunuch Provocateur wrote:I really enjoyed the movie. Every time Morton came on, with Seth Rogen's voice, I wanted a pot joke. That made me even more excited to see Pineapple Express, though, as I had just forced my friends to watch the Red Band trailer for it before the movie.

The problem with Seuss is that his writing is so sparse and his visuals are so complex that it's hard to translate them onto the screen without it being A) a short film or B) an Experimental Film.

Yeah, they could have used more narration in Horton. They had a wee bit but then it just got lost.

Cat in the Hat (yes I own it) was a big flop at the box office. They went way off in left field with alot of things and it seemed like Austin Powers was dressed up as a cat. Atleast that's how it felt to me. However, they did stick to alot of the Dr. Seuss lingo, had a great narrator, and nailed Thing 1 and Thing 2, as well as the goldfish.

I think the success of Horton will definitely inspire more animated Dr. Seuss films. I certainly hope so. I thought it was rather good. Blue Sky I hope will continue to do these. They did an excellent job of creating the Dr. Seuss world in this film. They just need to get the screenwriters to do a better job.
Maui
WoWie

Return to Animation