Kung Fu Panda

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Did this Panda Kung your Fu???

No. It was a load of sukiyaki.
8%
Yes! It was dimsum and then some!
67%
Somewhere between chopped liver and chop suey.
8%
I'll kung your fu...
17%
I thought pandas didn't like fu kung?!?!
No votes

Total votes : 12

Re: Kung Fu Panda

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:49 am

Make sure you stay through the credits when you see it. You will be blinded by awesomeness.

Not really. I just like saying that.

There is however a very nice scene with Po and Shifu.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:31 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Make sure you stay through the credits when you see it. You will be blinded by awesomeness.

Not really. I just like saying that.

There is however a very nice scene with Po and Shifu.

Dang it! I've seen this movie twice so far, both times kidlet watching, and of course, they don't want to stay for the credits. Oh well. Tell me more in a spoiler, I don't think I can wait for DVD.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:32 am

After the credits Po and Shifu are sitting on the cliff eating dumplings while the sun sets. There's a pullback that reveals the peach seed Shifu planted has sprouted.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:37 am

Upon arriving home from work last night my power went out. I decided to check the surrounding area as normally the 2 block radius that surrounds my house is out but the rest of the city is fine. Just outside this two block radius is a movie theater so what better way to spend some power-outage time, I thought. The only 2 movies I had remote interest in seeing were Kung Fu Panda and Incredible Hulk. Obviously I decided to see KFP otherwise I would be in the Hulk thread right now.

Kung Fu Panda opens with an awesome 2D sequence that reminded me of a more elaborate Samurai Jack. While the characters are basically cliches the movie has enough charm to pull it off without detracting majorly from the narrative. The fight sequence were inventive and had a nice sense of scale which is decidedly lacking from most action films. The level of detail present in the proceedings was well above Dreamworks other offerings. This is definitely a step in the right direction for a company i had written off.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:50 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:After the credits Po and Shifu are sitting on the cliff eating dumplings while the sun sets. There's a pullback that reveals the peach seed Shifu planted has sprouted.

Awe, sounds sweet! and not for the reason of the Peach. ;)
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:52 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Kung Fu Panda opens with an awesome 2D sequence that reminded me of a more elaborate Samurai Jack.

Remember this line, SFG?

Legend tells of a legendary warrior whose kung fu skills were the stuff of legend. lol

I really dug the 2D sequence at the beginning too.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Heyoucantlaughatthat on Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:33 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Kung Fu Panda opens with an awesome 2D sequence that reminded me of a more elaborate Samurai Jack.

I thought the exact same thing. This movie was very good, I thought. It's nice to see 3D animation becoming more and more of a substantial form of entertainment than "Let's go see this crap to shut the kids up."

The sequence of White Tiger Dude (Already forgot his name) escaping from prison was probably the coolest action sequence I've ever seen in a 3D animated movie. JB was great as PO. I heard they might make a sequel. I'd like to see that.
Heyoucantlaughatthat
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Maui on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:12 pm

Heyoucantlaughatthat wrote:
The sequence of White Tiger Dude (Already forgot his name) escaping from prison was probably the coolest action sequence I've ever seen in a 3D animated movie.

It was brilliant. I've never seen anything quite like that in animation. A very intense scene done extremely well.
Maui
WoWie

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:35 pm

Uh.... I am totally shocked by this, but Kung Fu Panda was brilliant. It had such a great story, and the animation was unbelievable. Factor in the brilliant action sequences, and I was totally blown away. God, I can't believe I liked this better than Wall-E, which was brilliant in its own right. Wow. Great Job!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:01 am

I watched it in a hotel a month or so ago and just thought it was okay. And I love chopsocky movies. It had its moments, but I thought the story was a little trite and the jokes few and far between.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Chilli on Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:10 am

I must have no soul, because I lasted thirty minutes before walking out. As good as the 'Prison escape' action scene was, I just got fed up of Jack Black playing Jack Black as a Panda. Kudos points are due for the film not doing pop-culture riffs, but it seems like they constantly went for easy humour rather than anything of merit.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:29 pm

I just watched the DVD and I thought it was a very enjoyable kids movie with two likeable lead characters, lots of forgettable supporting characters (although they were still better than the whole kitchen staff in Ratatouille), a wonderful art direction, an inspired overall direction and SOME OF THE BEST FUCKING ACTIONSCENES OF THIS DECADE! I kid you not! There was some breathtaking fighting going on in that movie! Not just for an animated movie! I had to watch the prison break scene twice! Not because the editing was way too quick and the camera was constantly shaking and I finally wanted to figure out what was going on, but because it was so wonderful and energetic directed (Without epileptic editing and [virtual] shakycam)! Sometimes you watch actionmovies and the fakeness of the actionscenes totally takes you out of it. Things like obvious wireworks or when McClane shoots a helicopter down with a car and a man jumps out of the helicopter, lands hard on the asphalt, but didn't even break his pinky finger. Then you watch a cartoon and see characters survive the weirdest stunts, like when they fall from a cliff, blow themself up with dynamite or when McClane shoots a helicopter down with a car and a man jumps out of the helicopter, lands hard on the asphalt, but didn't even break his pinky finger. And you think: "Hey, it's okay! It's a cartoon!" Here they created a weird kind of reality. A reality where all these fights that would look unreal in a live action movie and ...well...cartoony in a cartoon look and feel real. You get a sense of danger when someone gets kicked hard, but on the other hand you still remain in the "reality" of the movie when a rhino survives a deep fall. I didn't think "this is so ridiculous" nor "yeah, cartoon logic" in one single actionscene!
The humor is less slapstick than you might expect from a movie named: "Dreamworks Animation presents Jack Black is Kung Fu Panda". Of course there are some slapstick moments (They also overdo the joke when they slow down the movie when someone falls or get hurt and we hear this deep, slow-mo voice yelling "oooooooooooh", if you know what I mean) but most of the humor comes from the voicework (without relying on "witty" dialogue") and the wonderful animated facial expressions.
It's weird. The more I think about it, the more I learned to appreciate Kung Fu Panda. It's probably the first Dreamworks Animation production with a real vision since the first Shrek and it's probably the Dreamworks Animation production where this vision is best executed. It isn't anything groundbreaking (well...maybe particularly in the category of "actionscenes in a PG rated CGI movie") and is far away from being perfect, but I think there is a lot in it to enjoy for everybody.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby minstrel on Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:02 pm

It's not as great as Wall-E, but it's easier to watch over and over, which is what my roomie is doing with it while he works on his software problems.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Bloo on Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:23 am

minstrel wrote:It's not as great as Wall-E, but it's easier to watch over and over, which is what my roomie is doing with it while he works on his software problems.

I fell asleep Friday morning to Kung Fu panda and somehow it got stuck on repeat so the movie was just running over and over and over again while I slept, I finally saw it from beginning to end and you're right not as good as Wall-E but very very rewatchable, I should now, appearently I "watched" it like 3 or 4 times in a row
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Re: Kung Fu Panda 2

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:40 pm

From Animated-News:
Kung Fu Panda 5 news
06/10/2008: "Five Kung Fu Panda sequels on the way?"
In news that will surprise noone, Jack Black told AAP while promoting Kung Fu Panda in Sydney earlier today that he was confident there would be a follow up: “My eight ball says signs point to yes.” Jack says he’d jump at the chance to be involved if “all the stars are aligned to make it. It’s easy for me, I just come in and do the acting voice, it’s those animators and directors that have to really make the sacrifice.” In much more surprising news however, Jeffrey Katzenberg stated that there could be up to FIVE more Kung Fu Panda movies if he gets his way. “There is a larger story here of which this is the first chapter. In the same way Shrek had five chapters from the beginning, this has six. Whether we get to tell those chapters or not isn’t something we determine, the movie-goers determine. It needs to be a big hit. It needs to be a blockbuster.” Which Kung Fu Panda is clearly on its way to become… Deservedly so since this timeless action comedy with heart marks a fresh departure for DreamWorks–so why spoil it, especially so early in its theatrical run, with the announcement of endless sequels? You may remember that Jeffrey Katzenberg stated four years ago that Shrek had been conceived from the beginning as a four-chapter story, later bumping up that number to five.

yorrick brown wrote:
TheButcher wrote:Kung Fu Panda 5 news:06/10/2008: "Five Kung Fu Panda sequels on the way?"

its only been out a week and they want four more movies,wow!.

From/film:
Charlie Kaufman Did Script Work on Kung Fu Panda Sequel
Fievel wrote:

Interest level just skyrocketed.
Thought the first was entertaining enough, but nothing spectacular.
It seems animation would be the perfect world for Kaufman to explore.

From Collider:
The Synopsis and Logo for KUNG FU PANDA 2
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:58 pm

Kung Fu Panda 2: The Kaboom of Doom - Teaser Trailer 2011:
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Animation