Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa

Postby Maui on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:20 pm

Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave!

Yes, they are back!!! and with more voice talent. In theatres November 7, 2009.

kren.com wrote:Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa is nearing production, and a few new voice cast members will be joining Ben Stiller, Chris Rock, David Schwimmer, Jada Pinkett Smith, Sacha Baron Cohen, Cedric the Entertainer and Andy Richter in the recording studio in their pajamas (as we always like to think).

Bernie Mac and Sherri Shepherd will voice the parents of Stiller's lion, Alec Baldwin is a rival of Mac's pride leader, and Will.i.am (of the Black Eyed Peas) will bring to life a watering hole lothario.

I enjoyed the first one, I've seen trailers for the sequel, it looks cute. Since KFP, I have gained new confidence in Dreamworks, I think they are fine tuning their skills and I think we should look forward to better stuff from them.
Maui
WoWie

Re: Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:26 pm

I am still waiting for a movie just about the penguins in this movie...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Maui on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:27 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:I am still waiting for a movie just about the penguins in this movie...

Well, on the Madgascar DVD - they have a cute little Penguin Xmas caper. Have you seen that?

I could totally watch a movie with just the penguins, they are hilarious. I think we've all gotten over that crazy influx of penguin movies from a year ago, huh?
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:29 pm

The monkeys were pretty funny too, with all that poo flinging, eh Bob?
Maui
WoWie

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:49 am

Maui wrote:The monkeys were pretty funny too, with all that poo flinging, eh Bob?

[pompous]But of course[/pompous]
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby yorrick brown on Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:01 am

Awesome,can`t loved.
Should I call you Bullet? Tooth?
You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
yorrick brown
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:25 am

Maui wrote:Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave!

Yes, they are back!!! and with more voice talent. In theatres November 7, 2009.

kren.com wrote:Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa is nearing production, and a few new voice cast members will be joining Ben Stiller, Chris Rock, David Schwimmer, Jada Pinkett Smith, Sacha Baron Cohen, Cedric the Entertainer and Andy Richter in the recording studio in their pajamas (as we always like to think).

Bernie Mac and Sherri Shepherd will voice the parents of Stiller's lion, Alec Baldwin is a rival of Mac's pride leader, and Will.i.am (of the Black Eyed Peas) will bring to life a watering hole lothario.

I enjoyed the first one, I've seen trailers for the sequel, it looks cute. Since KFP, I have gained new confidence in Dreamworks, I think they are fine tuning their skills and I think we should look forward to better stuff from them.

I fucking can't stand Sherri Shepherd...

I hope Bernie Mac lures her to some fucking big game hunters...

But The Baldwin could just save it...

So who knows...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Maui on Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:31 am

Yeah, Baldwin is funny. I was psyched to read that.
Maui
WoWie

Postby yorrick brown on Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:06 am

Should I call you Bullet? Tooth?
You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
yorrick brown
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby buster00 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:39 pm

Another cliche I wish I could erase from existence.

/Madagascar: Boyz II Men
//fucking gag me
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bayouwolf on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:07 am

Took the kiddo's to see "Madagascar 2" on Saturday night.

I'm not a racist person by nature. I shy away from the subject as best as I can. But this flick felt racial. Every joke felt like it was written by a suburban white kid trying to be an inner city black kid. There were moments where I felt bad listening to the dialogue and hoped my kids wouldn't repeat some of the things they were hearing in school.

90% of the target audience isn't going to "get" the undertones in the humor. But that doesn't excuse the fact that it's there.

I will say this, however...The penguins...OMFG...Every scene with the penguins made this horrid flick partially watchable. The Penguins need their own short film.
Or at the very least, a Saturday morning cartoon series.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:26 am

Can you provide an example of the racial humor from the movie, Bayou?
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Ribbons on Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:13 am

I haven't seen the movie, but this review from filmfreakcentral seems to hint at some of the racial stuff...

Yet for all that, Madagascar 2 is aggressively devoid of interest. The four animals enter the film like glam-rock heroes, slingshot to Africa to be reunited with their roots ("It's just like Roots!" bleats token zebra Marty Chris Rock) and to inaugurate an endless series of pop-cultural references that children will not catch (neither, it's most likely, will their parents). The best of them is a quick nod to The Twilight Zone's "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet"; the worst of them is the rest of them, with the whole enterprise feeling exhausted from the start no matter the volume of animals thrown at the audience in an attempt, I guess, to justify its mainframe capacity. If one of each worked in the first film, why not hundreds of each in the second? And why not get Alec Baldwin to do Elvis-haired bad-lion Kakunga while Alex and his long-lost dad work out their queer-panic issues through West Side Story choreography? Without new ideas (it cribs in fact a volcano-sacrifice sequence from the Ice Age sequel that speaks volumes about the ways kids' entertainments implant racist ooga-booga messages in children (for fun!)), Madagascar 2 is just another completely disposable film with a questionable audience, boring for extended stretches, painful in others. The basic strictures of redemption and reunion are milked for all they're worth and, frankly baby, they're not worth a whole hell of a lot. Not funny, not exciting, animated only as well as every other well-animated film is animated -- there's not much to recommend Madagascar 2, though there aren't very many alternatives right at this moment, so expect it to make money out of proportion with its quality. Which is why, unless it's made by Pixar, this genre never seems to improve.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re:

Postby Bayouwolf on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:59 am

RogueScribner wrote:Can you provide an example of the racial humor from the movie, Bayou?

Chris Rock's character "Marty" is a Zebra. in fact EVERY zebra at the watering hole is voiced by Chris Rock (Think -The school of fish voiced by John Ratzenberger from Finding Nemo-) During the obligatory, You're not my friend anymore speech between Marty and Ben Stiller's "Alex the lion", Alex monologues to who he thinks is Marty. When Marty comes out of the herd and asks Alex if he thought he was actually talking to him, Alex replies..." Well how was I supposed to know it wasn't you, you all look alike to me" (I'm not paraphrasing that one bit....)

Will.i.am's Character "Moto Moto" struts out of the watering hole toward "Gloria" the hippo and using a deep raspy voice (imagine Barry White after power smoking a carton of cigs) tells her "Man baby, your back side is so.....round". There's a whole exchange that goes on for about 60 seconds that just digs deeper and deeper into shady territory. I realize this is meant to be hippo love, but if you HEAR the way the exchange is made, you'd feel it too. This was one of the things I had hoped my kids didn't pick up.

The tour guide (a black african male) is proven to be inept as a tree stump, and the group of tourists stranded in the savanna must be saved by a little old jewish lady from New York.

This goes on and on throughout the film. Slight undertones and innuendo abound.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby buster00 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:25 pm

I didn't like the first Madagascar, and I do my best to avoid any movie that uses "Gonna Make U Sweat" in its trailer.

Waiting for cable on this one.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re:

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:19 am

Bayou wrote: The Penguins need their own short film.
Or at the very least, a Saturday morning cartoon series.

They get a series. "The Penguins Of Madagascar" will air somewhere next year on Nickelodeon. Showrunners are Bob Schooley & Mark McCorkle (Sky High, Kim Possible).
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:48 am

Just watched it. I just had to, after I finally watched part 1 last friday and some episodes of the Penguin show over the weekend. And I enjoyed the movie, They fixed most of the stuff that was wrong with part 1 and that means this time they even bothered to write a story (not a very original one though) and had less popculture in it. (One Twilight Zone joke, one mention of Roots and that's it. Of course some of the other stuff, if there was some, probably got lost in translation, since I this time watched the German dubbing. Don't know why.)
The Madagascar series is still far away from being a must-see (except when the penguins are on screen), but especially with part 2 I can see why it's so popular. It doesn't always push the right buttons, but hits a lot of them.
And about the "racism": Sometimes a zebra is just a zebra! Otherwise you could also complain that the lion, who is voiced by a jewish actor, has such a big nose. :roll:
Anyway, I give it an okay 7/10.

I just wonder if Eric Morillo will buy another jet from all the royalties for 'I Like to Move It'.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Return to Animation