S-E-X in ANIMATION

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

S-E-X in ANIMATION

Postby prettypopcandy on Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:44 am

I don't have anything to say actually, I just want to know what you all know.

I'm writing paper on it and since sex in animation is relatively scarce in the western world, I was hoping somebody has seen more of it than I have. So please give me your opinions!
Is it good? Is it bad? Why do you think it's still a taboo? Has stigma of cartoons being for "kids only" in our culture robbed us of more of the hotness we saw in Jessica Rabbit?
What can we do to change this? And what effect has a sexy cartoon icon had on you? How would you like to see the topic of sex covered in animation?

and on that note, I think Terry McGuiness is super hot and if I had to go female, it would be...the chick from the eSurrence commercials. definately.
prettypopcandy
GLIB

Re: S-E-X in ANIMATION

Postby BuckyO'harre on Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:42 am

It isn't just the "cartoons are for kids" factor alone, but also the lingering puritanical views towards sex, still prominent in America. Although the former has held animation back in more ways than just a lack of T&A. Only now are more adult themes being accepted in mainstream animation. Just barely,and only in the still family friendly or comedy package, but things are slowly improving.

Of course it isn't as if sex has been completely absent, or that no one ever attempted to change things.
Betty Boop was a sex symbol obviously. A little later, guys like Tex Avery spiced things up.
Ralph Bakshi emerged in the 70's with Fritz The Cat. The 80's gave us Heavy Metal and an increase of anime.
Anime that morphed into hentai with movies like Urotsukidoji, and grows increasingly popular today with stuff like Bible Black.

Surely someone else here can provide info on European animation.I still haven't seen that danish toon Princess which came out two years ago I think.

As for America today, The Simpsons and South Park have had a major impact, and hopefully directors like Brad Bird will continue to help us catch up.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:48 am

1) Get internet

2) Try watching some Hentai and Bishouji.

3) Watch Perfect Blue.

Job done. :D
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Al Shut on Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:26 am

BuckyO'harre wrote:It isn't just the "cartoons are for kids" factor alone, but also the lingering puritanical views towards sex, still prominent in America.

I don't know if I would say that. Considering that non-kids animation already is somewhat removed from the mainstream that puritanical view might not be that prevelant.

But I'm missing the oversight for a decent judgement.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:29 am

papalazeru wrote:1) Get internet

2) Try watching some Hentai and Bishouji.

3) Watch Perfect Blue.

Job done. :D

This post is unbelievable funny, if you, like I did, scroll slowly down to read step after step and then finally arrive at your sig :lol:
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby papalazeru on Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:55 am

I think that Japanese animation is far more interesting that Western animation as it hasn't had as long within the culture as say the West.

Also, it's more interesting because of the philosophical ideas that are at play, as well as some of the eronious sexual desires which Japanese animation and mange is more famous for.

As we adopted it as a form of entertainment for children, as a whole (excluding some war progaganda films and more interesting ideas), the Japanese took it as a medium for all ages and sexual preferences.

There's usually some amazing philosphical point which comes attached with a guy with 7 cocks raping the shit out of some girl, who mysteriously is better in the next scene.

I suppose you could go quite far back in Western society to se sex in cartoons but they are more of an adult nature and don't mix themes as well.

That's just my understanding - correct me if I'm wrong because Animation is not one of my most researched forté.

I mentioned Perfect Blue because of the Rape Scene in which the director goes 'cut'. It's quite powerful imagery for Japanese Animation.

papalazeru

Postby buster00 on Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:50 pm

prettypopcandy wrote:...the chick from the eSurrence commercials. definately.

I am SO with you on this.

Lemme see...there was a thread in the Animation department that you might find enlightening...

(*flipping through filing cabinet*)

Ah! Here we are!

Come to think of it, I'm surprised I haven't posted in there... :oops:
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:22 pm

Oh yeah. Beats the shite out of that fucking Geico lizard....
Last edited by The Vicar on Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:24 am

ummm.... Stripperella comes to mind, the lovely Pam Anderson did this voice for this abismal Stan Lee animation.

I'll address the actual questions posed later (I'm about to leave work and it's an odd thing thing to type about :?)
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:32 am

I saw the thread and said to myself, how many posts til someone mentions Urotsukidoji... Bucky did not disapoint.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby papalazeru on Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:11 am

King Psyz wrote:I saw the thread and said to myself, how many posts til someone mentions Urotsukidoji... Bucky did not disapoint.

papalazeru wrote:There's usually some amazing philosphical point which comes attached with a guy with 7 cocks raping the shit out of some girl, who mysteriously is better in the next scene.

I was there with you pal.

Failing that, there's always Adventure Kid :lol:

papalazeru

Postby Maui on Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:14 pm

One of the animated shorts in Peur(s) du noir, aka Fear(s) of the Dark, features some nudity with a sex scene. It's one of those "less is more" kinda scenes and it's very effective. Well, I thought so!

Not in theatres yet and I've been waiting very patiently for, is "Waltz with Bashir". This is an award winning animated flick, cutting edge stuff, based on Ari Folman's hazy account of his experiences in the 1982 Lebanon War. Apparently this is a really trippy movie, Folman wanted it that way, as he felt his memories were like a bad acid trip. He wanted his trippy memories projected through his animation. HOWEVER, for those of you that seek out the sexier side of animation, this film has explicit nudity and a very graphic sex scene.

Here's the site: http://waltzwithbashir.com/ Check out the stills, amazing stuff.
Maui
WoWie

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:01 pm

Maui wrote:One of the animated shorts in Peur(s) du noir, aka Fear(s) of the Dark, features some nudity with a sex scene. It's one of those "less is more" kinda scenes and it's very effective. Well, I thought so!

Not in theatres yet and I've been waiting very patiently for, is "Waltz with Bashir". This is an award winning animated flick, cutting edge stuff, based on Ari Folman's hazy account of his experiences in the 1982 Lebanon War. Apparently this is a really trippy movie, Folman wanted it that way, as he felt his memories were like a bad acid trip. He wanted his trippy memories projected through his animation. HOWEVER, for those of you that seek out the sexier side of animation, this film has explicit nudity and a very graphic sex scene.

Here's the site: http://waltzwithbashir.com/ Check out the stills, amazing stuff.

Pfffft!

Like there's any of us who DON'T seek out the sexier side of animation...

These girls aren't bad...they're just drawn that way...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby stallina on Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:26 pm

What is the best animation school in California? I am thinking about going to school for animation/visual effects. I really want it pay off, though and would like to know which school offers the most respected program. Thank you!
stallina
GLIB

Postby SilentBobX on Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:56 pm

All this talk of sex in animation and not one mention of Fritz The Cat or Heavy Metal? For shame. Those films are surprisingly mature not only for the sexual content but also the writing, especially Fritz. It was a great flick, and its sequel, 9 Lives of Fritz The Cat was decent and funny in places, tho nowhere near the classic of the original.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby BuckyO'harre on Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:08 am

SilentBobX wrote:All this talk of sex in animation and not one mention of Fritz The Cat or Heavy Metal? For shame. Those films are surprisingly mature not only for the sexual content but also the writing, especially Fritz. It was a great flick, and its sequel, 9 Lives of Fritz The Cat was decent and funny in places, tho nowhere near the classic of the original.

Mahalo

Some crazed rabbit in the second post wrote:Ralph Bakshi emerged in the 70's with Fritz The Cat. The 80's gave us Heavy Metal and an increase of anime.

That's okay, I understand.
I've learned to accept the fact that most of my posts go unread if they aren't accompanied by a funny picture.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby SilentBobX on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:43 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:
SilentBobX wrote:All this talk of sex in animation and not one mention of Fritz The Cat or Heavy Metal? For shame. Those films are surprisingly mature not only for the sexual content but also the writing, especially Fritz. It was a great flick, and its sequel, 9 Lives of Fritz The Cat was decent and funny in places, tho nowhere near the classic of the original.

Mahalo

Some crazed rabbit in the second post wrote:Ralph Bakshi emerged in the 70's with Fritz The Cat. The 80's gave us Heavy Metal and an increase of anime.

That's okay, I understand.
I've learned to accept the fact that most of my posts go unread if they aren't accompanied by a funny picture.

Dammit, I did miss that. Totally my fault, sir

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:28 pm

I have to admit, sex in animation is a lot more easier to narrow down than in film. With Animation you can pin point most of those pinnacle momets in either Easter and Western society.

I suppose it does make a different considering what we each perceive in out own society

papalazeru

Return to Animation