ASTRO BOY

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

ASTRO BOY

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:25 pm

Colin Brady is going to direct Astro Boy for Imagi Animation Studios.
sources : First Showing & animated news
Last edited by TheButcher on Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby LaDracul on Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:19 pm

TheButcher wrote:Colin Brady is going to direct AstroBoy for Imagi Animation Studios.

As much as I'm glad that it's gone back to animated, I'm not sure how I feel about a Chinese studio (Imagi) doing a Japanese Anime... Same goes for "Battle of the Planets".
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:50 pm

TheButcher wrote:Colin Brady is going to direct AstroBoy for Imagi Animation Studios.

I was kinda fine with this until Brady mentioned "aging up his voice." I really hope they're not going for AstroTeen here.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby TheButcher on Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:02 pm

From Latino Review:
Summit Entertainment will release Astro Boy in North America on Friday, October 23, 2009
"A beloved icon for over half-a-century, this marks Astro Boy's first time on the big screen, making our film one of the most highly anticipated releases of the year," stated Corbett. "We're thrilled to be bringing this remarkable and enduring property to fans - both old and new - as a grand-scale action-filled adventure with cutting-edge CG technology."

Astro Boy's all-star cast features the voices of Academy Award®-winning actor Nicolas Cage, Donald Sutherland, Nathan Lane, Bill Nighy and Eugene Levy with Freddie Highmore in the title role. David Bowers (Flushed Away) is directing Astro Boy from a screenplay written by Timothy Harris (Trading Places, Kindergarten Cop), with Maryann Garger producing.

The iconic character Astro Boy has found global popularity since his creation in the early 1950s by Japan's Osamu Tezuka, known as the "god of manga" and "father of anime", and has been the hero of three acclaimed animated television series aired around the world.

Set in the future, Imagi Studio's Astro Boy is a classic superhero origin story about a young robot with incredible powers, created by a brilliant scientist, and his adventure-filled journey in search of his identity and destiny, taking him into a netherworld of robot gladiators before he returns to save Metro City.
Last edited by TheButcher on Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:29 pm

Last edited by TheButcher on Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:42 pm

I saw some footage of this at Siggraph this summer. Looks awesome.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:27 pm

Sheesh! Why the shirt and long pants? Have we all gotten that, uh, pedo-phobic that we can't represent Astro Boy as he was in the sixties (or even the 80s)? I like the action in that trailer, but it looks so politically correct that it's nauseating.

I doubt that I'm going to be interested in this.
minstrel

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:40 pm

minstrel wrote:

Sheesh! Why the shirt and long pants? Have we all gotten that, uh, pedo-phobic that we can't represent Astro Boy as he was in the sixties (or even the 80s)? I like the action in that trailer, but it looks so politically correct that it's nauseating.

You really should wait to see more footage.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:50 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
minstrel wrote:

You really should wait to see more footage.

You're right. There was hardly anything in that trailer. I just overreacted right after seeing it.
minstrel

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:56 pm

Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:00 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:http://graphisme-illustration.sambotte.com/public/arts%20graphiques/Actualit%C3%A9s/2008/astroboy-film/astroboy-3D.jpg

Astro Boy is unaware that he is about to be squashed by Iron Humpty Dumpty ...
minstrel

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:03 pm

Yeah that's a grab from a sequence IMAGI was showing of at their booth at Siggraph. Astro-Boy vs a giant robot in an arena type setting.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:41 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:40 am

From Variety: 'Astroboy' sets 2009 release date
CG-animated film due out October 23, 2009
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby BuckyO'harre on Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:42 pm

Imagi Animation is Out of Money and Temporarily Shutting Down?

We just heard some rather interesting, and alarming, news from a friend in the industry. Apparently Imagi Animation Studios is running out of money and may be temporarily shutting down operations. The official news will supposedly hit the wire tomorrow, but employees are being told not to show up to work starting on Monday. Imagi, based out of Hong Kong, is the animation company behind 2007's TMNT as well as the upcoming Astro Boy movie and also Gatchaman. We've already seen a teaser for Astro Boy and the film is slated to hit in October, which means it might be delayed if production stops for too long.
As soon as we get confirmation, we'll update this news.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:36 pm

From Variety:
Bridge fund refuels 'Astro Boy' film - Adaptation of '60s toon back on track
MARK SCHILLING wrote:TOKYO -- The U.S. film adaptation of "Astro Boy," the iconic 1960s Japanese toon about a robot boy and his scientist "father," is back on track after producer Imagi Entertainment temporarily suspended production.

The company's U.S. prexy, Erin Corbett, said Tuesday that the company had to shut down its U.S. operations for a week because bridge financing hadn't come through on time. The coin, however, is now in place and will carry the company until funding from private equity companies arrives Tuesday.

The pic, helmed by David Bowers, with a voice cast that includes Nicolas Cage, Bill Nighy, Freddie Highmore, Eugene Levy, Donald Sutherland and Kristen Bell, is skedded for release Oct. 23, with Summit Entertainment distribbing in the U.S.

Created by manga and anime legend Osamu Tezuka, whose Tezuka Prods. is a co-producer on the pic, "Astro Boy" was a pioneering TV toon that aired in Japan from 1963 to 1966, while becoming a favorite with U.S. Baby Boomers.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: ASTRO BOY

Postby Ribbons on Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:46 am

Does anybody know the status of this, what with Imagi running into fiduciary troubles and all? Hit us up with some news, Butcher!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

ASTRO BOY LIVES!!!

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:43 am

An MTV EXCLUSIVE: New ‘Astro Boy’ Promo Image Soars Online!
Casey Seijas wrote:“Astro Boy” — which is set to hit theaters on October 23 — follows the adventures of a young-yet-powerful robot who, in the hopes of winning his inventor-father’s heart, sets off on a quest to rid the world of evil. However, he soon discovers that his home, Metro City, stands on the brink of destruction, and it is up to him to save the day as well as his friends and family.

And while what we’ve seen of “Astro Boy” has been spot-on in terms of an adaptation, it hasn’t always been smooth sailing for the production. After a dazzling sample of animation hit the web in November of last year, reports surfaced soon afterward that the film’s animation studio, Imagi International, had hit a financial snag (however, these reports were later refuted by Imagi Entertainment U.S. President Erin Corbett). That news was coupled with reports that Scarlett Johansson — rumored to be one of the film’s vocal talents — was never officially offered a role.

Regardless, if the recent barrage of stills from the film — in addition to top secret “Astro Boy” footage shown at this year’s New York Comic Con — are any indication, everything seems to be back on track in terms of “Astro Boy,” which features the vocal talents of Nicholas Cage, Kristen Bell, Eugene Levy, and Freddie Highmore, who provides the voice of everyone’s favorite Japanese Pinocchio.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby BuckyO'harre on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:58 pm

Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:51 pm

Ooops! Bad casting! Freddie Highmore was too old to do the voice of Astroboy. The character is supposed to be a pre-teen, and Highmore's voice has broken.
minstrel

Postby tfactor on Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:15 am

This looks OK I guess but nothing worth celebrating. I mean its a cartoon about a robot kid created I'm sure to fill some empty whole left in the heart of the scientist who lost his reall life child at an early age. Then again the scientist could have created the boy bot because he's a pediphile and just like young boys who will never age. :shock: ...like Cpt Kirk's 2pay. However for the sake of the children & this being a childrens movie lets just say the movie premise is more likely to be my first suggestion, until we know for sure anyway.
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby BuckyO'harre on Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:43 am

Crap quality new trailer.

Less than enthused after that one. :?
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:17 am

BuckyO'harre wrote:Crap quality new trailer.

Less than enthused after that one. :?

Astroboy is sounding a little too old and the trailer just makes Astroboy look like every other animated story. There's some lovely graphics and some creatures but it's told me it's clichéd story in less that 5 minutes and I'm bored.

Thanks for the link Bucky.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:32 am

That looks pretty weak, a lot of cheap and derivative gags in the trailer, I guess this one is targeted toward half-r3tarded 4-year-olds and no one else... I remember liking Astro Boy when I was a half-r3tarded 4-year-old...
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Peven on Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:34 am

that trailer leads me to believe this movie is going to be a total failure and makes me wonder what studio exec looked at the concept art or storyboards or whatever and gave the go ahead. talk about out of touch

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby papalazeru on Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:38 am

Peven wrote:that trailer leads me to believe this movie is going to be a total failure and makes me wonder what studio exec looked at the concept art or storyboards or whatever and gave the go ahead. talk about out of touch

"I've got Laser guns...coming out of my butt"

Man I could have punched the screen at that point.

The one good gag I liked was when the big robot appeared and said, 'Is this thing on?' then everyone screamed then he menaced. I quite liked that.

papalazeru

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:42 am

I didn't like ANY of the gags... the dog driving, machine guns out of the butt, etc...

The only moment I liked was when he falls out of the car saying something like "I have to do this," which briefly highlighted how Astro Boy is basically a more limited Superboy living in a super-powered environment; I think there was a lot of potential there, but I seriously doubt that notion will be developed beyond surface-level in the movie.

Peven, that's how execs think: they look for a property they believe can be exploited and marketed, then they give the go-ahead.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby papalazeru on Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:57 am

Pacino86845 wrote:I didn't like ANY of the gags... the dog driving, machine guns out of the butt, etc...

The only moment I liked was when he falls out of the car saying something like "I have to do this," which briefly highlighted how Astro Boy is basically a more limited Superboy living in a super-powered environment; I think there was a lot of potential there, but I seriously doubt that notion will be developed beyond surface-level in the movie.

Peven, that's how execs think: they look for a property they believe can be exploited and marketed, then they give the go-ahead.

Exploiting doesn't mean it can't be good but almost always it ends up as a pile of shit because they want a quick buck without being willing to invest in it. They prey on emotional attachment, they put a value attachment to the peer group then -75% of the total value and give that to the production team.

Fucking cunts.

Excuse my purposeful language.

papalazeru

Postby buster00 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:59 am

One word: Speed.

One more: Racer.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:15 pm

Astro Boy is a robot. His personality and knowledge are programmed into him - he's a bunch of sophisticated software. Yet somehow his creator forgot to program into Astro Boy his own physical capabilities? WHY????? Why is Astro surprised to find out that he has machine guns in his butt? Etc. I mean, I understand how real children have to learn about their own bodies as they grow, but in Astro's case, it isn't necessary and it's DANGEROUS!! This kind of storytelling has always pissed me off because it's STUPID. I know this is a fantasy and takes place in its own universe, but it's still STUPID in its own universe.

And, as I said before, Freddie Highmore was too old to do the voice. Now they have what looks like a small boy being voiced by a teen and it's a bit creepy - it looks like there's some kind of hormonal imbalance going on.

Arrgh.This won't be good.
minstrel

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:16 pm

His voice probably broke right after his mom was done signing the contract.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby buster00 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:49 pm

Come to think of it, if the Disney Channel / Nick Generation sees enough commercials for this, it just might make the money back. They swallowed up Beverly Hills Chihuaua, after all.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:52 pm

Yikes, was that a poor trailer. It seemed like it was a made for Nickelodeon movie or something. Too bad.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:51 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Yikes, was that a poor trailer. It seemed like it was a made for Nickelodeon movie or something. Too bad.

hey, don't be hating on Nickelodeon movies like that, dude

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:54 pm

buster00 wrote:One word: Speed.

ok, that is just plain criminal, man. did you even see Speed Racer? that was an innovative film with some pretty good acting by the core cast and very satisfying to anyone who didn't go into it with a predisposition to look down their nose at it. this thing looks like a half-assed movie using tired animation, lazy writing, and weak voicework

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby papalazeru on Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:57 pm

minstrel wrote:Astro Boy is a robot. His personality and knowledge are programmed into him - he's a bunch of sophisticated software. Yet somehow his creator forgot to program into Astro Boy his own physical capabilities? WHY????? Why is Astro surprised to find out that he has machine guns in his butt? Etc. I mean, I understand how real children have to learn about their own bodies as they grow, but in Astro's case, it isn't necessary and it's DANGEROUS!! This kind of storytelling has always pissed me off because it's STUPID. I know this is a fantasy and takes place in its own universe, but it's still STUPID in its own universe.

And, as I said before, Freddie Highmore was too old to do the voice. Now they have what looks like a small boy being voiced by a teen and it's a bit creepy - it looks like there's some kind of hormonal imbalance going on.

Arrgh.This won't be good.

Don't be hatin Astro, Minstel.

The real problem here is we've moved on from Pre-Omoto. WE need something more than pre-pubescent robots because we expect our entities to be passing though a more adult transition.

The story of Astro boy is less than half of what the real Goku story is....and everyone knows it.

We fail, or at last TV and film does.

We're now smarter than the average bear, but the market forces think we bear the average market. We're fucked, as they second guess us, we always fall short.

papalazeru

Postby minstrel on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:06 pm

papalazeru wrote:The real problem here is we've moved on from Pre-Omoto. WE need something more than pre-pubescent robots because we expect our entities to be passing though a more adult transition.

Um.

If WE need something more than pre-pubescent robots because we expect our entities to be passing through a more adult transition, then why are WE making an Astro Boy movie?

Astro Boy is a boy. If you want Astro Man, then make Astro Man. My roomie knew Osamu Tezuka personally and is very partial to the work he did, and he has educated me (sometimes involuntarily on my part) about Astro Boy. This movie doesn't look like Astro Boy. It looks like the O'Douls of Astro Boy movies.
minstrel

Postby papalazeru on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:14 pm

minstrel wrote:
papalazeru wrote:The real problem here is we've moved on from Pre-Omoto. WE need something more than pre-pubescent robots because we expect our entities to be passing though a more adult transition.

Um.

If WE need something more than pre-pubescent robots because we expect our entities to be passing through a more adult transition, then why are WE making an Astro Boy movie?

Astro Boy is a boy. If you want Astro Man, then make Astro Man.

I was hoping you'd say that mate.

papalazeru

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:42 am

I am a huge Astro Boy fan and I have to say the trailer didn't do much for me, especially the machine guns in the butt gag. I think what bothers me more is they seem to have softened the anime aesthetic to make it appeal more to an American audience.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:48 am

Peven wrote:

ok, that is just plain criminal, man. did you even see Speed Racer? that was an innovative film with some pretty good acting by the core cast and very satisfying to anyone who didn't go into it with a predisposition to look down their nose at it. this thing looks like a half-assed movie using tired animation, lazy writing, and weak voicework

I did indeed see Speed Racer, and I didn't think it was that bad at all. I'm not so sure about the acting, but visually, it's a very cool flick.

I just think their box office totals are going to be similarly disappointing. Someone in Hollywood seems to think that shitty Japanese cartoons from the 60s are a lot more mainstream than they really are.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:48 am

Well I agree with you both on the Speed Racer issue, I have seen it a few times and always enjoy the dumb over polished grandeur of it all.

Astro boy looks interesting. The voice acting and some of the overly soft character design do look lame, but the action scenes really have some merit. I'm going to see this in a proper digital cinema and make my judgement there. It could be kinda cool...
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:25 pm

Anyone seen this yet? I read that it was # 8 in Friday's box office results.

Still, I'm going to see it in a few hours! :roll:
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:44 pm

Please don't voice cast Cage or Sutherland, rocks could emit more emotion.

Some cool and violent action sequences BUT the movie just dragged along. It starts off with some well intended and thought provoking themes (which are narrated by Charlize Theron) which only later get abandoned and it just seemed rather pointless introducing them in the first place. Many of the background scenes looked cheap. The CGI characters were OK but I thought Cora and her gang of tween friends looked like animated Bratz dolls. The Communist robots were not that funny and the Stalin, Lenin and Trotsky posters in their office was overkill - I guess they have to cater to the noodleheads in the audience.

Me no likey!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Ribbons on Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:57 pm

Maui wrote:The Communist robots were not that funny and the Stalin, Lenin and Trotsky posters in their office was overkill.

Me no likey!

Were they anything like this?

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Pacino86845 on Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:27 pm

LOL, I'm sure the movie would be awesome if they were!

Nice review Maui, I'll steer clear of this animated turkey!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Maui on Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:04 am

Ribbons wrote:
Were they anything like this?

Sadly, no.
Maui
WoWie

Postby tapehead on Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:08 pm

buster00 wrote:
Peven wrote:

I did indeed see Speed Racer, and I didn't think it was that bad at all. I'm not so sure about the acting, but visually, it's a very cool flick.

I just think their box office totals are going to be similarly disappointing. Someone in Hollywood seems to think that shitty Japanese cartoons from the 60s are a lot more mainstream than they really are.

Seconded, except for the shitty part - these old shows and others of a similar ilk like Kimba the white Lion, maybe Starblazers and such - they're silly, camp, cute and operate on the level of being drama for youngsters who are still discovering all the tropes. Sentimental nostalgic affection for this kind of thing (which I have, in spades) in no way guarantees an audience just because the mums and dads of today loved these shows when they were kids. Speed Racer the cartoon still seems kind of cool; exaggerated, stylised, manic fun for kids. The movie couldn't make that stuff play to a broad audience, despite being visually thrilling and quite innovative in terms of eye candy - 'good' acting? not a primary factor when you're acting like a character from a dubbed/adapted Japanese cartoon from the late 60's called 'Mach Go Go Go' about a guy who drives really fast and has a monkey in the trunk.
It seems the same might apply to Astro Boy (remember how often he got caught up in the 'am I a real boy?' question and went flying around crying... or screaming. little dude used to scream his head off a couple of times an episode). Astro Boy, at it's heart, at least has a simple fairy tale story at it's core that might be adapted succesfully; it's Pinoccio with anime sci-fi trappings. These shows were always clumsy interpretations of stories rooted in Japanese culture too, often things get lost (and new things added) in translation.
Funnily enough the most successful adaptation of this kind of source material is still probably Disney's 'The Lion King', but even though they ripped off Tezuka's story and characters heavily without permission, they still had to transform it a lot for western audiences.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Return to Animation